My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Not exactly a catastorphe of Leicester proportions and not a dicking either. But we are simply the equivalent of football's long Covid aren't we? We've been through the shit and faced the inevitable, but are still coughing up lung butter and feeling like the floor of one of those 1980s British Rail toilets in the carriages that when you're sat there holding on and trying to fire out a few potatoes, you are also keeping your jeans out of the toxic coating of piss, spunk, spew, blood and other body products lurking there.

Hecky still put us out there in the famed Wilder formation. It makes me think that part of the agreement for him to leave was that we play the remaining games in exactly the same formation and Agent Lundstram is the first name on the sheet. Wilder must be still sat laughing at today's game in his SW Sheffield pad counting his millions. We were largely outpassed and outclassed and even when Leeds dropped their guard a bit later on in the second half, still couldn't even scratch their paintwork. First half was us basically waiting for them to switch Rapinha on and let him at us and the basicness of their first goal was painful to watch. Evident on that was the positioning of Bogle who really should have tracked Harrison into the box, but he didn't. It looked like Baldock and him just forgot their brief.

We then underwent sustained periods of pressure to whit Leeds were stupidly guilty and wasteful not to open us up like a tin can. Baldock, brave as he was got his head bounced off the turf (that hurts - had that in my time and played on seeing stars for the rest of the game) and we brought Ampadu on who in my humble opinion played wonderfully at times. Mind you, in a world of cunts, even the wanker seems like just a bellend, don't forget. And THAT'S swearing.

Midfield was it's characteristic, disjointed and fucking appalling self with that bloke Lundstram working his fucking ticket, Norwood further proving Brighton and Fulham and Fleck in and out of the game, largely out.

Up front, Dids and McBurnie did their best but seriously, they had nowt to go on, once again and any chances were self created.

A comfortable win for our lovely Yorkshire rivals, now the 'top team in the County'. That doesn't make me grind my fucking teeth much. Oh, no.

Ramsdale 7.5/10: Some really good saves from the lad. Seems to be gaining in confidence and ability, at last. No chance with either goal.
Baldock 6/10: Out of position and in a few minds what to do and where to go. Did fairly okay though if for some fucking crap positional play with Bogle as to who was picking up Harrison at the back stick for the first. Hope his concussion is not severe.
Jagielka 6.5/10: Drops half a point due to a bit of a schoolboy error with his o.g. and he knows that. But apart from that, he (and Ampadu) kept Bamford fairly quiet until he went off
Stevens 7/10: Surprisingly more solid this gam considering who was coming down his side with Dallas, Rapinha and Ayling to deal with
Bogle 6/10: First half at times was exposed and looked overwhelmed and had his hands full with Harrison and Alioski and Roberts
Lundstram 3/10: In fact fuck it. 2/10. In fact fuck it. 1/10. Yellow card after five minutes. Passing, crossing, tackling and all things else football pitifully shit. Please drop him.
Norwood 4/10: Saw him involved a few times making a couple of interceptions but as ever, shit corners (near post, too high, straight at the keeper) and practically a traffic cone in a ridiculously exposed central midfield position. Anyone who thinks he'll suddenly become our talisman next season needs to stop necking the turps.
Fleck 5.5/10: When he was involved, he was 'okay'. A couple of times he moved on through the channel with the ball at his feet then Montgomeryed it too far ahead or faffed endlessly with it in key positions. Truth is, most teams know the trick now - press, isolate, dispossess.
Osborn 7.5/10: Good outing for him and thank fuck he's scored. He deserved it. Bit clumsy at times but leaves it all out there.
McGoldrick 6/10: Didsy can only do his stuff when he is supported well, and today he wasn't.
McBurnie: 7/10: What? 7/10? Yeah. thought he put in a workmanlike outing today despite getting fuck all. Some ... not all ... shithousery, but set the goal up and defended really well.

Ampadu 7.5-gusting-8/10: Played really well, showed class and made some damned good tackles
Burke 6/10: Took a while to warm up. Unlucky with his shot
Brewster 6/10: See above. One day this lad will score the goal of the season. Okay, not THIS season. But one day. Possibly not for us either
Egan 6/10: Great to see that when he came on, he immediately made 'one of those tackles' and overall steadied the side. Welcome back Eegs. We've missed you.

Heck 6/10: Could have gone on the attack more and for a while, I don't even think McGoldrick knew what the fuck his plans were regarding subs and system.

pommpey

• Banned
Not exactly a catastorphe of Leicester proportions and not a dicking either. But we are simply the equivalent of football's long Covid aren't we? We've been through the shit and faced the inevitable, but are still coughing up lung butter and feeling like the floor of one of those 1980s British Rail toilets in the carriages that when you're sat there holding on and trying to fire out a few potatoes, you are also keeping your jeans out of the toxic coating of piss, spunk, spew, blood and other body products lurking there.

Hecky still put us out there in the famed Wilder formation. It makes me think that part of the agreement for him to leave was that we play the remaining games in exactly the same formation and Agent Lundstram is the first name on the sheet. Wilder must be still sat laughing at today's game in his SW Sheffield pad counting his millions. We were largely outpassed and outclassed and even when Leeds dropped their guard a bit later on in the second half, still couldn't even scratch their paintwork. First half was us basically waiting for them to switch Rapinha on and let him at us and the basicness of their first goal was painful to watch. Evident on that was the positioning of Bogle who really should have tracked Harrison into the box, but he didn't. It looked like Baldock and him just forgot their brief.

We then underwent sustained periods of pressure to whit Leeds were stupidly guilty and wasteful not to open us up like a tin can. Baldock, brave as he was got his head bounced off the turf (that hurts - had that in my time and played on seeing stars for the rest of the game) and we brought Ampadu on who in my humble opinion played wonderfully at times. Mind you, in a world of cunts, even the wanker seems like just a bellend, don't forget. And THAT'S swearing.

Midfield was it's characteristic, disjointed and fucking appalling self with that bloke Lundstram working his fucking ticket, Norwood further proving Brighton and Fulham and Fleck in and out of the game, largely out.

Up front, Dids and McBurnie did their best but seriously, they had nowt to go on, once again and any chances were self created.

A comfortable win for our lovely Yorkshire rivals, now the 'top team in the County'. That doesn't make me grind my fucking teeth much. Oh, no.

Ramsdale 7.5/10: Some really good saves from the lad. Seems to be gaining in confidence and ability, at last. No chance with either goal.
Baldock 6/10: Out of position and in a few minds what to do and where to go. Did fairly okay though if for some fucking crap positional play with Bogle as to who was picking up Harrison at the back stick for the first. Hope his concussion is not severe.
Jagielka 6.5/10: Drops half a point due to a bit of a schoolboy error with his o.g. and he knows that. But apart from that, he (and Ampadu) kept Bamford fairly quiet until he went off
Stevens 7/10: Surprisingly more solid this gam considering who was coming down his side with Dallas, Rapinha and Ayling to deal with
Bogle 6/10: First half at times was exposed and looked overwhelmed and had his hands full with Harrison and Alioski and Roberts
Lundstram 3/10: In fact fuck it. 2/10. In fact fuck it. 1/10. Yellow card after five minutes. Passing, crossing, tackling and all things else football pitifully shit. Please drop him.
Norwood 4/10: Saw him involved a few times making a couple of interceptions but as ever, shit corners (near post, too high, straight at the keeper) and practically a traffic cone in a ridiculously exposed central midfield position. Anyone who thinks he'll suddenly become our talisman next season needs to stop necking the turps.
Fleck 5.5/10: When he was involved, he was 'okay'. A couple of times he moved on through the channel with the ball at his feet then Montgomeryed it too far ahead or faffed endlessly with it in key positions. Truth is, most teams know the trick now - press, isolate, dispossess.
Osborn 7.5/10: Good outing for him and thank fuck he's scored. He deserved it. Bit clumsy at times but leaves it all out there.
McGoldrick 6/10: Didsy can only do his stuff when he is supported well, and today he wasn't.
McBurnie: 7/10: What? 7/10? Yeah. thought he put in a workmanlike outing today despite getting fuck all. Some ... not all ... shithousery, but set the goal up and defended really well.

Ampadu 7.5-gusting-8/10: Played really well, showed class and made some damned good tackles
Burke 6/10: Took a while to warm up. Unlucky with his shot
Brewster 6/10: See above. One day this lad will score the goal of the season. Okay, not THIS season. But one day. Possibly not for us either
Egan 6/10: Great to see that when he came on, he immediately made 'one of those tackles' and overall steadied the side. Welcome back Eegs. We've missed you.

Heck 6/10: Could have gone on the attack more and for a while, I don't even think McGoldrick knew what the fuck his plans were regarding subs and system.

pommpey
first

pommpey

First

so excited if I am

The blades are footballs equivalent of long covid? Comment of the season Pompey!! Fortunately I was out at the park with my youngest so missed our latest defeat. Sounds like I missed nowt. How the hell anyone can justify still playing 3-5-2 with lunny in every week when ANY of the youngsters should get a chance instead is beyond me. Roll on next season.

I think we hit bottom at Leicester, and this was a bit better. There were short periods where we strung some passes together (if Lundstram wasn't involved), and the movement for Osborn's goal was actually quite good. Really pleased that someone who Wilder studiously ignored played well (by our standards) and got his goal. There was also some shooting in the vague direction of the Leeds goal, which is encouraging. Ramsdale appears to be getting some sort of mojo, which again is encouraging for next season. Ecky was open, articulate, and honest in his radio interview.
Ok, we lost to Leeds, but not by much. I feared the worst but a combination of their profligacy and some of our players deciding that they play for a team meant that I've had worse match watching experiences in the past 6 months!

I know I’m jarred but fucking hell pommey
Some of that is bollox
Enda , was fucking wank , set up the the pressure for the first goal and was wank for a large portion of the game
Norwood less said the better a pity some of his fouls didn’t happen sooner , Palace away for instance , he’s a baller in the league below so should be ok for us in the championship
Lundstram an absolute cunt of the highest order , he took a booking early doors to stop him committing to anything, well he couldn’t because he’d have been sent off , bollox
He’s aiming for 10 booking get suspended, avoid injury and fuckoff Scott free
McBurnie, a fucking joke of an attacker , I’ve backed him 100% but fuck me pull your socks up , In more sense than one
yeah he passed , shot , crossed for the goal but first half what else fall done , stud one of there players
Some of these cunts are blessed , fans aren’t allowed in because a lot would be banned from the abuse they’d get
Right time for another beer I’m getting fucking hammered
Other than that your spot on pomp’s

Tbf to Bogle, and as someone who plays RB/Rwb, as soon as Raphinha strolls past Baldock you're always likely to get drawn in to cover which ultimately leaves the back stick vacant. Thought Bogle should have got tighter for the second goal though.

You’ll like this stat:

In the 90 minutes, we put in 18 crosses (including corners). Of those, 17 reached a Leeds player and only 1 was touched by a United player. The culprits were:

Fleck (0 from 6)
Norwood (0 from 3)
Lundstram (0 from 3)
Bogle (0 from 2)
Stevens (0 from 1)
Osborn (0 from 1)
Burke (0 from 1)

And the winner was McGoldrick (with a mighty 1 from 1).

Says it all to me when Pommpey doesn't lay into the players too much. I think as this season drags on we become more apathetic as fans every week, why bother moaning and complaining nothing will change. Hecky is a Wilder clone, United will start in a 3-5-2 formation which soon turns to 5-3-2, Lundstam is the first name on the teamsheet, we go behind early hardly have a shot on target all game and remain the 2nd worst team in Premier League history. Not really worth getting upset/angry anymore.

For all McBurnie's shortcomings, Its not his fault that the team is setup, not to cross the ball to his head in the six yard box.
Hope he gets a Winger to play with next year?
From which position he will take the pace off the ball and head it straight at the keeper.

Hope he plays somewhere else next year.

You’ll like this stat:

In the 90 minutes, we put in 18 crosses (including corners). Of those, 17 reached a Leeds player and only 1 was touched by a United player. The culprits were:

Fleck (0 from 6)
Norwood (0 from 3)
Lundstram (0 from 3)
Bogle (0 from 2)
Stevens (0 from 1)
Osborn (0 from 1)
Burke (0 from 1)

And the winner was McGoldrick (with a mighty 1 from 1).
FFS ....... I was having a good morning until those stats appeared !

To be fair the stats can be misleading as Fleck put an absolute peach of a cross in from a free kick first half which was headed clear by a Leeds player.

Says it all to me when Pommpey doesn't lay into the players too much. I think as this season drags on we become more apathetic as fans every week, why bother moaning and complaining nothing will change. Hecky is a Wilder clone, United will start in a 3-5-2 formation which soon turns to 5-3-2, Lundstam is the first name on the teamsheet, we go behind early hardly have a shot on target all game and remain the 2nd worst team in Premier League history. Not really worth getting upset/angry anymore.
This^^^^

8 to go, soon be over... thankfully

Firstly the TV Coverage. Always liked Amazon apart from that crap music they play in and out of the adverts, but there seemed to be a Leeds love in agenda before the ball was even kicked. Alan Shearer seemed to have woken from a dream, earlier in the day, where every single negative thing that happened to him in his life was the fault of Sheffield United.

I enjoyed listening to Ally McCoist more than the usual co-commentators

Looking at the game as a whole, I enjoyed it more than most of the matches this year. It was open and we were further up the pitch, looking like we might actually score more than one.

Second half, they were profligate on the break, second season syndrome for Leeds anyone?

Due to being so open it was more like a Championship match and we looked more promising.

With that in mind, Didzy’s performance showed he is more than able to play a part for us next year.

When we get a corner or a crossing free kick, the radio commentary will be as follows;

Sheffield United win a corner, it’s a crowded penalty area, what a good opportunity for them to draw level/reduce the deficit/ take the lead. Fleck/Norwood/Lundstrum takes it and it’s cleared by the first defender at the near post/easily claimed by the goalkeeper.

Moronic comment of the day goes to Sky Sports News. YET to win a point under Paul Heckingbottom.

Preferred your more honest assessments. Many of those marks are ludicrously high.

I lost count of how many times we gifted them the ball. And just about everyone of our numerous corners and free kicks hit the first man. It was pathetic and embarrassing.

You can please some of the people, some of the time ...

To be honest, in comparison to some of the performances this season, yesterday was pretty decent.

That is how shit we are.

pommpey

You can please some of the people, some of the time ...

To be honest, in comparison to some of the performances this season, yesterday was pretty decent.

That is how shit we are.

pommpey
I agree we played "relatively" well yesterday. We were easily up there with "diabolical".

I agree we played "relatively" well yesterday. We were easily up there with "diabolical".

This is true.

Lundstram played a blinder. Norwood was excellent.

I think this is the way we've now been programmed.

pommpey

Cheers pommpey I always enjoy these, strange as I can’t look Roy’s “views from” at the moment. Enjoyed you on the podcast thing too pal, persevere with it this season and hopefully next season they’ll be quite a few where you can say that some of the non performers from this season can actually play🤔 maybe not🤦🏻‍♂️ thanks again for doing what you do pal👍🏻

Always gives me a laugh when things aren't that funny, well done again Pommp's

I think it's all been said really, nothing much to add.
Something is/has not been quite right behind the scenes, the whole squad looks tired & unfit, I never understand the "confidence" comments in my working life i had to get up every morning and get into a positive frame of mind even if life was a bit shit at the time,
as a "professional" and being paid a descent salary you owe it to yourself to go out and do what you do in the best way you can do it.

As i said somethings not right at the club and hasn't been for awhile, maybe CW was lax and to forgiving in his discipline,
I guess we will never know but something is/has not been right but these players are not doing themselves or the club justice.
For me the only players actually "putting a shift in" are Ramm'y (after a difficult start) and, Bogle and furious Baldock,
the rest are not cutting it - or earning a wage!!

Hopefully the next manger will sort it! - I think we will sacrifice Berge and anybody else we can move on (excepting Ramm'y, Bogle et al) to give the new manager some money to work with - we can live in hope but i actually think "Prince A" gets it and things will start to change for the better post Wilder.

Hecky 6, come on, you are getting soft in your old age.

He is barely above Adkins, League 1 at best. Same tactics, same woeful tea and substitutes.

3 and that’s generous!
Oh Happy Easter!

Back
Top Bottom