My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Yeah, we won. A win is a win and all that. But in honestly, can we all acknowledge that just like the Bristol Rovers game, we made the gap in expected capability between the two teams seem a little narrower. It's also okay coming out with old tropes like 'The FA Cup is a great leveller' and 'you should never expect a win', but if it is a win, you should not be making it look so treasured, or so rare. We didn't beat Everton, Aston Villa or even West Ham today. We (narrowly) beat Plymouth Argyle, eleventh in two divisions below. Today's match made it look like we were in the playoffs in that division and we'd just pulled off another valuable victory and three points, and maybe we were back on with an automatic slot come May. It's not like Plymouth are any good either. For the first twenty minutes they hardly got into our half and they gave us that mandatory ten square feet of space around every player which made initial forays up the wings easy to do, and Norwood to smack the ball stylishly across the pitch, like he does. Too many times Argyle failed to close up the gaps when we were in possession, a luxury we don't have in our 'day-job' of surviving in the Premier League. But fuck me, how much do we need in front of goal to make it count? We still seem a bit shot-shy at times and despite Brewster having an unthreatening shot on target, a fluffed chance six yards out and Lundstram missing a fucking sitter, it's only when our centre back pops up on the back stick to nod home with the sureity required from our forward line (McBurnie - pay the fuck attention)

But we again showed some alarming lack of attention to detail and Plymouth regularly showed threat, especially when involving Camara. We seemed to want to show them the same amount of space after we'd scored and were lucky not to go in for the break 1-1 or even worse. The second half still failed to impress. Where you'd expect us to come out firing and organised and ready to put Argyle to the sword and finish the game off, we are still playing Wilderball. knocking the ball across the back four and up one wing, until we are met with a block, backwards, across the back four and down the other wing, rinse and repeat. Norwood has acres of space to show off, Ampadu is knocking it long and we aren't doing much until thank fuck, Norwood spots Billy, slots him a pass and he's in, round the keeper and it's in the net. Amazing what you can do when you change the fucking record once in a while.

Then Plymouth smell blood and we are defending - properly - for too-long spells of the game and giving sloppy, predictable balls away. And with equal predictability (and maybe one of Deadbat or ROYs bingo card regulars, Norwood is caught in possession, chases back and fouls the opposition. And more - we still fuck up possession, fail to manage the panic and Camara - who'd looked threatening all game and really was Norwood's to cancel out, is free in the box and does what Lundstram should have done in the first half from the same position. I reckon however had he hit it low down and pretty central maybe Cooper would have got his body behind it, instead Ramsdale (bingo moment) flops down and allows it under his body, like he did with Rashford's.

FULL HOUSE CALLED IN THE LOUNGE, BARRY!

After this, we are simply hanging on and thank for it didn't go to extra time. They'd have beaten us, definitely. As soon as they scored, a thought bubble popped out of every United player's head which read, "Oh fuck. We're gonna lose now." It wouldn't have taken much either. We looked desperately fragile in the final ten minutes and Plymouth seemed to be enjoying us on the ropes.

Quite simply, yet another desperate, dismal, disappointing outcome with a win we 'achieved' but possibly didn't deserve. Neither did Plymouth to be honest, but that in measure is what we have now quickly become - another version of Adkin's strugglers a few short seasons ago. Wilder might chide us with regard 'the system' but even if it shades past a pretty average third division outfit hoping the remaining minutes will be kind, then his system still isn't working and I fear for our credibility against Manchester United.

Ramsdale 3/10: Still shockingly below what we need playing where we are and aspiring for survival or an FA cup run. Even the BBC commentator thinks he's shit, and women's game goalkeeping itself is one of the great debating points of the cross-gender comparison. When I suggest the women's game is actually entertaining and good to watch, the less politically correct observers just illustrate some of the fucking howlers women keepers make, and it kinda deflates the balloon somewhat. In short, Ramsdale should play for Sheff Utd women, and mebbe we should have their keeper? Discuss.
Bogle 5/10: Iffy game with him in and out of it. Looked far from comfortable at times up against another 5-3-2 wingback system
Basham 5/10: Well taken goal but over the past few matches has dropped in form and seems to be finding it difficult
Egan 7/10: As usual, the rock at the back
Ampadu 5.5/10: Better game from him but he's still not impressive, even when given space to maraud forward
Stevens 6.5/10: Managed to exploit space Argyle gave him to get intto places of danger then simply passed wrongly or fluffed up the initiative
Lundstram 4.5/10: Drops 1.5 points for that fucking sitter. Otherwise was involved with little outcome
Norwood 4/10: Slightly better game from him and a really great pass to Sharp, but otherwise he was just showing off.
Fleck 5/10: Seems to be standing still at times or frustrated at the lack of options when he is on the ball. He's not even 50% of the John Fleck of 12 months ago
Brewster 3/10: Unimpressed by his failure to put chances away. There is no fucking way he is worth £23m
Sharp 6/10: Put a shift in and was rewarded with a well taken goal. But outside of that was a victim of shit service

Baldock 5/10: Furious George. Good to see him back
Bryan 4/10: Thought he was no better than Ampadu
Burke 5/10: Typical gutsy performance but with fuck all to show
McGoldrick unmarked

Really surprised Wilder didn't capitalise on this game to bring in some alternate players and a change in lineup. He seems stuck on 5-3-2 and like I say, it costs us. Personally I would have liked to have seen Rodwell, Verrips, Lowe make a start to refresh the system but no, it's Wilderball from start to finish and we were nearly put to the sword because of this. Bristol City might not be so timid to punish our weaknesses as Argyle today. Although we walk away from today with a win - three in four - I urge people to look at that run for what it is - a scraped FA Cup sin against a Div Two team where we were still not impressive, a win against a very underperforming Premiership side with a VAR goal the difference and today, where we hung onto our victory and could have thrown it away.

Finally: Ref/VAR - cunts. That handball was handball with a strawberry flavoured, spit-lubricated, ribbed condom slid on it and up-with-a-'hup! into the slack, well trafficked yet one would imagine accommodating warmth of Katie Price's tattered fundament. Arms in unnatural position - check, Player crossing flight of ball - check. Ball falling to advantage of opposition - check. Had that been Liverpool or Spurs, the cunt would have been redded and had his head kicked in outside the ground, and on the coach on the way back to Pastyland, moi loverrrr.

pommpey

Yeah, we won. A win is a win and all that. But in honestly, can we all acknowledge that just like the Bristol Rovers game, we made the gap in expected capability between the two teams seem a little narrower. It's also okay coming out with old tropes like 'The FA Cup is a great leveller' and 'you should never expect a win', but if it is a win, you should not be making it look so treasured, or so rare. We didn't beat Everton, Aston Villa or even West Ham today. We (narrowly) beat Plymouth Argyle, eleventh in two divisions below. Today's match made it look like we were in the playoffs in that division and we'd just pulled off another valuable victory and three points, and maybe we were back on with an automatic slot come May. It's not like Plymouth are any good either. For the first twenty minutes they hardly got into our half and they gave us that mandatory ten square feet of space around every player which made initial forays up the wings easy to do, and Norwood to smack the ball stylishly across the pitch, like he does. Too many times Argyle failed to close up the gaps when we were in possession, a luxury we don't have in our 'day-job' of surviving in the Premier League. But fuck me, how much do we need in front of goal to make it count? We still seem a bit shot-shy at times and despite Brewster having an unthreatening shot on target, a fluffed chance six yards out and Lundstram missing a fucking sitter, it's only when our centre back pops up on the back stick to nod home with the sureity required from our forward line (McBurnie - pay the fuck attention)

But we again showed some alarming lack of attention to detail and Plymouth regularly showed threat, especially when involving Camara. We seemed to want to show them the same amount of space after we'd scored and were lucky not to go in for the break 1-1 or even worse. The second half still failed to impress. Where you'd expect us to come out firing and organised and ready to put Argyle to the sword and finish the game off, we are still playing Wilderball. knocking the ball across the back four and up one wing, until we are met with a block, backwards, across the back four and down the other wing, rinse and repeat. Norwood has acres of space to show off, Ampadu is knocking it long and we aren't doing much until thank fuck, Norwood spots Billy, slots him a pass and he's in, round the keeper and it's in the net. Amazing what you can do when you change the fucking record once in a while.

Then Plymouth smell blood and we are defending - properly - for too-long spells of the game and giving sloppy, predictable balls away. And with equal predictability (and maybe one of Deadbat or ROYs bingo card regulars, Norwood is caught in possession, chases back and fouls the opposition. And more - we still fuck up possession, fail to manage the panic and Camara - who'd looked threatening all game and really was Norwood's to cancel out, is free in the box and does what Lundstram should have done in the first half from the same position. I reckon however had he hit it low down and pretty central maybe Cooper would have got his body behind it, instead Ramsdale (bingo moment) flops down and allows it under his body, like he did with Rashford's.

After this, we are simply hanging on and thank for it didn't go to extra time. They'd have beaten us, definitely. As soon as they scored, a thought bubble popped out of every United player's head which read, "Oh fuck. We're gonna lose now." It wouldn't have taken much either. We looked desperately fragile in the final ten minutes and Plymouth seemed to be enjoying us on the ropes.

Quite simply, yet another desperate, dismal, disappointing outcome with a win we 'achieved' but possibly didn't deserve. Neither did Plymouth to be honest, but that in measure is what we have now quickly become - another version of Adkin's strugglers a few short seasons ago. Wilder might chide us with regard 'the system' but even if it shades past a pretty average third division outfit hoping the remaining minutes will be kind, then his system still isn't working and I fear for our credibility against Manchester United.

Ramsdale 3/10: Still shockingly below what we need playing where we are and aspiring for survival or an FA cup run. Even the BBC commentator thinks he's shit, and women's game goalkeeping itself is one of the great debating points of the cross-gender comparison. When I suggest the women's game is actually entertaining and good to watch, the less politically correct observers just illustrate some of the fucking howlers women keepers make, and it kinda deflates the balloon somewhat. In short, Ramsdale should play for Sheff Utd women, and mebbe we should have their keeper? Discuss.
Bogle 5/10: Iffy game with him in and out of it. Looked far from comfortable at times up against another 5-3-2 wingback system
Basham 5/10: Well taken goal but over the past few matches has dropped in form and seems to be finding it difficult
Ampadu 5.5/10: Better game from him but he's still not impressive, even when given space to maraud forward
Stevens 6.5/10: Managed to exploit space Argyle gave him to get intto places of danger then simply passed wrongly or fluffed up the initiative
Lundstram 4.5/10: Drops 1.5 points for that fucking sitter. Otherwise was involved with little outcome
Norwood 4/10: Slightly better game from him and a really great pass to Sharp, but otherwise he was just showing off.
Fleck 5/10: Seems to be standing still at times or frustrated at the lack of options when he is on the ball. He's not even 50% of the John Fleck of 12 months ago
Brewster 3/10: Unimpressed by his failure to put chances away. There is no fucking way he is worth £23m
Sharp 6/10: Put a shift in and was rewarded with a well taken goal. But outside of that was a victim of shit service

McGoldrick unmarked

Really surprised Wilder didn't capitalise on this game to bring in some alternate players and a change in lineup. He seems stuck on 5-3-2 and like I say, it costs us. Personally I would have liked to have seen Rodwell, Verrips, Lowe make a start to refresh the system but no, it's Wilderball from start to finish and we were nearly put to the sword because of this. Bristol City might not be so timid to punish our weaknesses as Argyle today. Although we walk away from today with a win - three in four - I urge people to look at that run for what it is - a scraped FA Cup sin against a Div Two team where we were still not impressive, a win against a very underperforming Premiership side with a VAR goal the difference and today, where we hung onto our victory and could have thrown it away.

Finally: Ref/VAR - cunts. That handball was handball with a strawberry flavoured, spit-lubricated, ribbed condom slid on it and up-with-a-'hup! into the slack, well trafficked yet one would imagine accommodating warmth of Katie Price's tattered fundament. Arms in unnatural position - check, Player crossing flight of ball - check. Ball falling to advantage of opposition - check. Had that been Liverpool or Spurs, the cunt would have been redded and had his head kicked in outside the ground, and on the coach on the way back to Pastyland, moi loverrrr.

pommpey
Agree with most of that as per Pomp’s but I think you are being way too generous to Fleck and Stevens. They were awful. Fleck has developed the first touch of a donkey, has no confidence going forward and his passing was abysmal. Steven’s? Don’t know where to start, I feel sorry for him really as he just looks completely lost. 3/10 each - worst Utd players on the pitch with Ramsdale. Lundstram looked a bit more interested in the last couple of games and I thought he might be trying to get back on terms with CW and the club. However, today he was as lazy as, took all momentum out of our attacking and that miss....it was as if he meant to - get him gone please.

Thoroughly entertaining read if a tad OTT in some respects , but painfully accurate in others .

Anyway , I’m not averse to a touch of hyperbole , me .

‘Today’s game made us look like a play off team in that division’ - but then you follow that up with ‘Plymouth didn’t get into our half for the first 20 minutes’

‘Plymouth regularly showed threat’ - I’m sorry but that’s just absolute bollocks. Until they scored (a goal purely of our own making) they’d offered one decent chance all game.

We dominated the game, we were nervous at the end because we conceded a stupidly shit goal and aren’t used to winning so shat ourselves.

• Banned
‘Today’s game made us look like a play off team in that division’ - but then you follow that up with ‘Plymouth didn’t get into our half for the first 20 minutes’

And? What is this? A Downing Street presser and you are Robert Peston? Follow it up with 'why' rather than 'a-ha!' If you want an explanation, we looked superior to them, in Division One. Hope this helps.

‘Plymouth regularly showed threat’ - I’m sorry but that’s just absolute bollocks. Until they scored (a goal purely of our own making) they’d offered one decent chance all game.

In the first half, they had two very good chances, one which Camara put into the empty kop and one which their wingback drove on and put in Ramsdale's side netting. After Basham scored, they looked likely to get round our wingbacks. And later on, they took the ball off us and scored and made us defend, big style.

We dominated the game, we were nervous at the end because we conceded a stupidly shit goal and aren’t used to winning so shat ourselves.

57%/43% isn't exactly 'dominating the game'. 14 fouls to 4 isn't either. And we should be used to winning. We'd won two out of the previous three.

pommpey

properly - for too-long spells of the game and giving sloppy, predictable balls away. And with equal predictability (and maybe one of Deadbat or ROYs bingo card regulars, Norwood is caught in possession, chases back and fouls the opposition. And more - we still fuck up possession, fail to manage the panic and Camara - who'd looked threatening all game and really was Norwood's to cancel out, is free in the box and does what Lundstram should have done in the first half from the same position. I reckon however had he hit it low down and pretty central maybe Cooper would have got his body behind it

Spot on 👍👍👍

Got it about right today, bit harsh on Brewster, not having a lot of luck, trying too hard, ( hitting too cleanly/centrally), agree re the fee, but that's not his fault. One for Champ next season, (along with one last hurrah from Billy). We won, as we should, but I think 3-0 would have been a fairer reflection of the game.

Entertaing report.
People talk about a change in system but Wilder is all in with 5-3-2 because he has only brought in players to support that system. A successful change requires wide players (used to be called wingers remember them?) and we don't have those. So forget a change in approach.

I see you've got the usual Norwood blinkers on. Fair enough you slag him off when he's been shit , but when he hits some lovely balls you call it 'showing off'.

I thought he had a better game than several you marked much higher, like Bogle, Enda, Fleck etc.

Not really. He had a 'better game' than he has recently, Like the Newcastle game, when he is given acres of space to play his 'watch me smack the ball across the pitch' shenanigans, people such as yourself get all foamy about it. The truth is, you can do that all game, or all season in his case, and the sum result is nowt, because Wilder insists on the directive 'give the ball to Norwood' whereby the first thing he looks for is a sixty yard punt over the opposition wingbacks. As stated in many 'My takes', this tactic, as well as the 'clip it across the backline' Wilderball fun is dead and buried against PL opposition, and even Plymouth weren't much troubled with it. None of t resulted in a clear chance or a goal. However, I wasn't so blinkered to recognise (go have a look) that he doesn't need that 'wand of a right foot' to 'ping' the ball anywhere but centrally, threaded to the strikers, as attested by his very well placed pass to Billy for his well taken goal. Sometimes he doesn't have to show off, just do his fucking job efficiently.

Finally, did you not see Norwood lose possession and chase back resulting in his obligatory yellow card, too?

pommpey

Got it about right today, bit harsh on Brewster, not having a lot of luck, trying too hard,
Disagree About the latest £ 20 m flop. I started tracking him in second half when we all hoped he would score. He might be able to strike a ball but I’m afraid he is a bit thick, and gets mardy and lazy. Spends most of the time flat footed waiting between defenders for someone to find him which they don’t. Doesn’t make runs to front post or behind defence. Doesn’t put enough closing down effort in or generally. Billy made a great break,kept looking for him, but in the end he hadnt kept up so Billy had to try an angled shot when he could have put him in for a sitter. Needs coaching, a bit of a rocket up the arse and to stop thinking he’s a billy big bollocks and put some effort in like most of our other strikers do. And while I’m moaning enough with this wilder they are giving it 100%. Yesterday definitely less than this for lundstram, Brewster, fleck, Norwood, and Stevens. Even Burke trotting around at the end. It’s not a happy camp which is only to be expected thanks to Royally fucking up the transfers and first half of this season. Oh and I respect Katie Price 😎

McGoldrick unmarked

pommpey
Thanks for posting this, it's always good to hear/read another perspective.

For my part I thought we totally dominated the game against a bog standard league 1 outfit. They had 2 chances all game and their goal was a shocker from 2 or 3 of our players. Otherwise we could have rattled 4 or 5 in, but as you point out we are a bit toothless up front.

I thought a number of players looked very comfortable and in control but it's easy to see how they struggle at the day job. Norwood getting booked is a concern. It's one thing having to do it against Pogba, but when you can't catch a league 1 player it's feeling like his legs might be the problem these days, which is a problem for next season maybe.

No need for me to add anything on Ramsdale, everyone with eyes knows it's hard to watch.

Sharp (MoTM) is wasted on our subs bench, but not sure he's the answer in the EPL. Then again he's closer to the answer at the moment than Moose or Brewster so should be getting more minutes for sure.

This season I’ve tended to be as clappy as clap mcclapson of clapshire so I come to this from the point of view of being loathe to criticise. Indeed I still can’t bring myself to have a go at wilder. The players however, well ... things are changing.

Billy, Bash Ampadu and Egan did ok for me, put a shift in and played adequately. As for the rest..

Ramsdale is just awful, it has to be said now. It’s clear and irrefutable. How crap must the three other keepers be to not ever get a chance to play? Rhetorical question - they can’t be. The more he plays, the worse he gets. Time to put someone (anyone) else in the nets.

I am sick to death of our midfield. Fleck wants an hour on the ball before deciding what to do (usually deliver a hospital pass). Norwood only tries when he is lunging at an opponent to earn himself a yellow and earn them a free kick and a goal. Lundstrum has chosen to adopt the worst foibles of his midfield pals, lacklustre, ponderous and negative.

Stevens started quite brightly but eventually succumbed to the malaise afflicting most of the players. Bogle well just meh really.

Brewster. Well he had every opportunity yesterday to show what he can do against a mid table first division defence. He didn’t hide from the ball as much as usual in fairness but still showed no cutting edge, no guile and of course no goals. He is desperately disappointing.

So I guess I’m not clapping much anymore and with each passing week find myself agreeing more and more with pomps.

I worked in Bulgaria for a couple of years and my oppo liked to drive too fast.

He got caught speeding so handed the traffic cop 50 lev (about £15), which is at least 5-10 times more than the cop will have been expecting.

30 kilometres further on he was stopped again.

He couldn't believe his bad luck until I explained to him that the first cop had been on the radio.

In my view this is what happened this summer with Jason Tindall and Jurgen Klopp.

'Finally: Ref/VAR - cunts. That handball was handball with a strawberry flavoured, spit-lubricated, ribbed condom slid on it and up-with-a-'hup! into the slack, well trafficked yet one would imagine accommodating warmth of Katie Price's tattered fundament. Arms in unnatural position - check, Player crossing flight of ball - check. Ball falling to advantage of opposition - check. Had that been Liverpool or Spurs, the cunt would have been redded and had his head kicked in outside the ground, and on the coach on the way back to Pastyland, moi loverrrr'

😂

Quite possibly the best paragraph I've read on here, ever.

McGoldrick unmarked

pommpey
Enjoyed reading that, forthright and I pretty much agree with all of it - love the style of writing 😁

A lot of what you say is about right. But I disagree on Sharp. Made one and scored one. MOTM for me.

What?

"Sharp 6/10: Put a shift in and was rewarded with a well taken goal. But outside of that was a victim of shit service"

Had he been given the support and service, he'd have got more. What's 'wrong' with that?

pommpey

'Finally: Ref/VAR - cunts. That handball was handball with a strawberry flavoured, spit-lubricated, ribbed condom slid on it and up-with-a-'hup! into the slack, well trafficked yet one would imagine accommodating warmth of Katie Price's tattered fundament. Arms in unnatural position - check, Player crossing flight of ball - check. Ball falling to advantage of opposition - check. Had that been Liverpool or Spurs, the cunt would have been redded and had his head kicked in outside the ground, and on the coach on the way back to Pastyland, moi loverrrr'

😂

Quite possibly the best paragraph I've read on here, ever.
Agree, classic, - he should be writing rompy novels or should it be Pompey novels

I’ve heard the Sheffield Star wants to recruit you Pompey. Far better than James Shield’s “polite” reports!!!

However I thought Billy was good, without him think where would we have been.

We appeared fairly comfortable overall, last 20 mins aside, but collectively the team look so nervous. Maybe this originates with Ramsdale & permeates through the entire team? This has made the side error prone in the extreme. It’s as if they have accepted as inevitable that at some point someone will make a gaff that leads to a goal. And so it came to pass. Lundstram inexplicably pokes it towards Basham from the edge of our 18, putting him under unnecessary pressure. Bash then sort of stands on it & it comedically squirts to their guy who blasts it at Ramsdale. Said keeper then dives over the ball in slow motion. A joke of a goal. An embarrassment. I actually laughed out loud at the morbid inevitability of it all.

But Jesus Christ our midfield. Absolutely woeful. Dire. I doubt there’s been a worse midfield in EPL history than Lundstram, Fleck & Norwood. Lundstram somehow contrived to miss the sitter of all sitters. It’s as if the bloke doesn’t want to score. Fleck has somehow transformed into a pensioner compared to last season. It’s incredible how dithery, slow & ponderous he’s become. And as for Norwood.... well he looked semi comfortable against a L1 side because that’s now his level. It’s obvious his legs have gone. As evidenced by when he lost it in the centre under a modicum of pressure, then got a yellow in the attempt to retrieve the ball. EPL sides must lick their lips every time they see those 3 lining up against them.

Then there’s Enda Stevens. To me the bloke looks depressed. He managed to get forward more than usual this season but still faffed around & gave the ball away time after time. There was an incident in the 2nd half where he gave it away twice in quick succession & another where he combined with Fleck in comedy fashion to concede possession.

On the plus side Bogle looks to be a player, nice & composed & Burke will terrorise championship defences next season. Brewster though looks mardy. I hope he keeps plugging away & that it clicks at some point as he could combine well with Sharps last hurrah in the championship. Egan, Ampadu, Bash all looked decent but they won’t be immune to the malaise that’s permeated the squad. Christ knows how many Man Utd will put past us with Egan suspended 😱

Overall I can’t help thinking that there’s something badly wrong. Trouble at the mill so to speak. But I’m at a loss as to what it might be other than a combination of poor recruitment, the loss of Henderson & the injury to JOC.

Got it about right today, bit harsh on Brewster, not having a lot of luck, trying too hard, ( hitting too cleanly/centrally), agree re the fee, but that's not his fault. One for Champ next season, (along with one last hurrah from Billy). We won, as we should, but I think 3-0 would have been a fairer reflection of the game.

Brewster is this years "Didzy" in that he cant score for trying but thats the only similarity. Agree with Pomps "mardy" attitude a bit everytime he misses the camera gets a shot of his face looks like he is about to cry. Would rather him mouth "for f**ks sake" then at least he shows more attitude than turning away like a kid who just lost his Xbox for not tidying his room.

Hoping when he scores it opens the floodgates but I was hoping for the same thing with McBurnie and look how that turned out.

So when Norwood plays a good pass hes 'showing off' ? fuck me.
You would rather concentrate on him getting a yellow than setting up the goal and virtually dominating the game until he went off ,when we fell off a cliff.
Enda and furious getting higher marks than Fleck or Norwood is ridiculous. And Sharp was MOM.
The handball coverage was spot on though ,unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom