Loans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tongeincheek

Reaction score
As its looking like we’ll have no Hendo next year, we’ve got 4 loan slots to pad out the squad 2x domestic and 2x foreign.

Who would you like to see us go for? Has anyone seen us linked with any new loanees?

My picks would be:
  • Rhiann Brewster
  • Connor Gallagher

Foreign ones are more tricky.
  • Keita Balde (apparently available on loan from Monaco, scored 12 in 39 league games for them so far)
  • Panos Retsos... again (He can cover all across the back-line, we know they don’t mind loaning him out, and we can probably negotiate a smaller end of loan price now)

We've had Retsos here and let him go back though. I didn't get the impression that we were keen to re-sign him, so I don't think that will be happening?

I think it's more likely that we'll use at least one of the loan slots to borrow a young striker, possibly from a Premier League club. Don't ask me who though! I've really no idea other than what I read on here, or research on YouTube, after I've read the rumour on here.

I’m hoping one loan slot will be a big name striker with a permanent fee agreed at the end of the season if we stay up again.
Succeed and with a third season in the top flight ahead we could then smash the record fee, so theoretically we could loan someone now, pay a loan fee of say £5-6m with a purchase price of around £40m...and get something special that we are crying out for immediately.

Low initial cost, maximum benefit and allow this seasons reduced budget to go further.

We've had Retsos here and let him go back though. I didn't get the impression that we were keen to re-sign him, so I don't think that will be happening?

Given the circumstances we faced in the restart, it’s unlikely that our preference was initially to send him back – indeed we were trying to extend all the loan deals, including his and Besic’s, said Wilder at the time. As I’ve said before, you needed not just us to want to keep them and the player to want to stay, but the agreement of the parent club (and potentially willingness to accept that club’s demands). That’s come to light recently over the reasons why it took so long for a Henderson to extend – Man U were wanting more than in the original loan agreement. I imagine all the loan clubs would have chanced their luck – in Besic and Retsos’s case, it might have been “ok, you want them, they want to stay, but you’re going to have to commit to buy them for x price when the window reopens”. If the reason why neither loan was extended is something like that, they might be still on our radar for the squad.

But equally the players might have had a change in heart, or Wilder might have changed his mind. Either way, in the absence of any party commenting on why those deals didn’t happen, we just don’t know. But I wouldn’t take the loan not happening as a definite reason that we’ve moved on from both just yet.

Given the circumstances we faced in the restart, it’s unlikely that our preference was initially to send him back – indeed we were trying to extend all the loan deals, including his and Besic’s, said Wilder at the time. As I’ve said before, you needed not just us to want to keep them and the player to want to stay, but the agreement of the parent club (and potentially willingness to accept that club’s demands). That’s come to light recently over the reasons why it took so long for a Henderson to extend – Man U were wanting more than in the original loan agreement. I imagine all the loan clubs would have chanced their luck – in Besic and Retsos’s case, it might have been “ok, you want them, they want to stay, but you’re going to have to commit to buy them for x price when the window reopens”. If the reason why neither loan was extended is something like that, they might be still on our radar for the squad.

But equally the players might have had a change in heart, or Wilder might have changed his mind. Either way, in the absence of any party commenting on why those deals didn’t happen, we just don’t know. But I wouldn’t take the loan not happening as a definite reason that we’ve moved on from both just yet.

Yes fair points.

Might be worth having a look at anyone the relegated sides can’t afford to keep but can’t sell either due to a high valuation. Might be one or two worth looking at. A Deeney or a Cantwell for instance. Wage contribution may make them fancy getting them off the books (or partially) for a year.

James Wilson or John Cofie would be my first choices, if not then lets get Dominic Poleon in.
And let us dive back into the 1st division.
Dont think Wilder will fall again for any of that.The Liverpool player we had on loan
( what's his name ?) must have taught him something about young loanee's.

Its hard with loans.
18/19 year olds can be really unpredictable. Plus, unless we know all the big teams academies then how can we possibly know who's available?

We ARE one of the big boys now though, taking fringe academy players as a bit of a gamble is great in the Championship but we want to improve on NINTH which is going to take something special. We need young players that are almost guaranteed to make it with their parent clubs.
We don't want to be a stepping stone or a shop window, we want to be a team where the likes of City and Liverpool send us young starlets to help take points off their rivals.

Obviously its easier said than done, and Henderson almost made the England team as an initial Championship loan signing but we can't waste loans on the likes of Woodburn anymore.

Maybe established players that aren't getting the game time that they would like, still young, still hungry, and if anything probably have a chip on their shoulder to prove their worth.
James, Abraham, Minamino?

Dont think Wilder will fall again for any of that.The Liverpool player we had on loan
Probably as much as the loan of young Dean Henderson to be honest. They are a relatively low risk gamble that usually come to a quiet end but can sometimes be a spectacular success.

Good shout. This worked for Brighton last year with Mooy from Huddersfield. I know the good ones are likely to get perm moves elsewhere and if not the wage structure thing may get in the way. Worth pondering though - especially if the likes of Buendia or Callum Wilson are still on the shelf in a few weeks. Not realistic, I know, but I can dream.

Maybe established players that aren't getting the game time that they would like, still young, still hungry, and if anything probably have a chip on their shoulder to prove their worth.
James, Abraham, Minamino?

Those three players are needed as squad players for their teams though. James was brought on last night for MUFC, Abraham will be needed for Chelsea options in Europe and the league, Klopp has also done the same with Minamino. Unless they get an upgrade on their side, I can't see us taking squad players from other Prem teams

My point was in jest, however we've got a shit track record when it comes to strikers from 'top clubs'. I'd rather not bother.

Those three players are needed as squad players for their teams though. James was brought on last night for MUFC, Abraham will be needed for Chelsea options in Europe and the league, Klopp has also done the same with Minamino. Unless they get an upgrade on their side, I can't see us taking squad players from other Prem teams
No you're absolutely right, but I mean those kind of players at that kind of level. Maybe even they could be persuaded though if they are sick of sitting on their backsides.

My main point though is that players like Brewster might be too raw for a Premiership team at the moment and for loan players we should be aiming for closer to the finished article.

If you want a quality big name striker, at a price we can afford in the coming season, whether loan or permanent, then good luck finding that anywhere, never mind the Premier League.

However, we have an ace in CW as far as wheeler dealing is concerned, so I am confident he will bring in what we need within the financial constrictions he has to work with.

No you're absolutely right, but I mean those kind of players at that kind of level. Maybe even they could be persuaded though if they are sick of sitting on their backsides.

My main point though is that players like Brewster might be too raw for a Premiership team at the moment and for loan players we should be aiming for closer to the finished article.

I'd have to agree on Brewster tbh. He does look like a decent prospect but I watched both play off semis and wasn't that impressed. I think he struggled and that was against a very average Brentford back line. Really not sure he's ready for the prem yet and think he'd probably benefit froma full season in the championship.

I'd like someone like Josh King on loan with an option to buy at the end if Bournemouth don't go up.

Win for everyone that way as the player gets to keep playing Prem football, we get a good Premier League striker with funds freed up for other areas and Bournemouth get a player off the books with potential to get a good player back if they get promoted straight away.

I’m of the opinion that we can’t afford to go and get the finished article.
we need to find a hidden gem, one that is off the radar for clubs but putting out the numbers and the stats to suggest he’s got all the attributes to become a top striker if surrounded by premier league players.

Dare I say we need to do a Brentford and recruit at their level of success.
I’m personally hoping that CWAK and the rest of the recruitment team have a long list like that we are getting on with.

And I’m sick to death of all our bids being made public before completed. So let’s just go in at our level and get these deals done, any dallying or hint of messing from agent/player then get out of there quick and get into the next target.

Back
Top Bottom