Roy's View From... Liverpool and Preston Fans Views On Ben Davies

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score

Needs to improve physically? Thought a ball winning dominant CB was what we were after?

Needs to improve physically? Thought a ball winning dominant CB was what we were after?
Quite. The reluctance/inability over the past 12 months, to bring in a big dominant centre-half is baffling.

The aerial weakness exposed by JOC's absence was glaring last season and illustrated again versus Birmingham. Egan battles manfully but is not particularly big in centre-half terms. He has been little more than steady without JOC's commanding presence at the side of him.

Brentford's signing of Jansson last season was instructive. For all of the good football that Brentford play, and the inspired scouting of young prospects that they sell on for huge profit, even they realised that an absolutely key component of getting out of the Championship - where sides like Birmingham can beat you on 25% possession because of their aerial prowess - is to have a physically dominant player in both boxes.

Jansson was a signing completely at odds with everything Brentford usually do, but they realised that it was a necessity.

We need a big dominant centre half (seem to remember saying that on a weekly basis in the Clough and Adkins era, only ever rectified under Wilder), especially in the Championship, so we get a ball playing defender who struggles on the physical side ... fan-f***ing-tastic. This signing is not filling me with much confidence.

We need a big dominant centre half (seem to remember saying that on a weekly basis in the Clough and Adkins era, only ever rectified under Wilder), especially in the Championship, so we get a ball playing defender who struggles on the physical side ... fan-f***ing-tastic. This signing is not filling me with much confidence.
We need a ball playing ,left footed, pacey defender. Here he is.

We've got an aerially dominant centre half: John Egan. However, we've been effectively asking him to cover both sides as we didn't have another centre half variable of playing in a two. Egan will be a different player with Davies next to him rather than Robinson or Basham.

I think you've been misinformed on this, we need a big dominant centre half leader type that we've been sadly missing since O'Connell's injury.
I think you do O’Connell a disservice. He is a left footed defender with pace and ability. This guy is excellent cover for him.
Another player with limited skills is not what we need.

I still think our defence should be
Basham - Egan - Davies

In front of that I'm not so sure
Baldock - Berge -Viera - RND
Didzy
Sharp - Mcburnie

I could easily make the case for
Fleck, Brewster, Jebbison, Bogle, Norwood

Back up is Stevens, Verrips, Osborn, Robinson, Burke, Freeman

That is a 22 man squad, a couple more in and a couple out I reckon

I still think our defence should be
Basham - Egan - Davies

In front of that I'm not so sure
Baldock - Berge -Viera - RND
Didzy
Sharp - Mcburnie

I could easily make the case for
Fleck, Brewster, Jebbison, Bogle, Norwood

Back up is Stevens, Verrips, Osborn, Robinson, Burke, Freeman

That is a 22 man squad, a couple more in and a couple out I reckon

It looks like it will be a back 4 though with Slav.

Baldock---Egan---Davies---Robbo/RND?

A combination of Viera, Berge or maybe Basham would give us a very energetic and solid central midfield, meaning we can go with Bogle and Osborn as the wide players.

Didsy and Brewster or Jebbo up top.

If it is a 3 at the back however, I would really like to see:

----Egan----Lopata---Davies-----

That would give us aerial dominance and 2 ball playing defenders on each side.

Really doesn’t seem like the kind of centre half we’re crying out for to replace O’Connell. Let’s see though ey.

Hi, Stegosaurus here

"reported to be an initial fee of £500,000, plus £1.1m in performance-related add-ons"

And I thought we had our pants pulled down when it came to selling players cheaply.

We've got an aerially dominant centre half: John Egan. However, we've been effectively asking him to cover both sides as we didn't have another centre half variable of playing in a two. Egan will be a different player with Davies next to him rather than Robinson or Basham.
Exactly

Back
Top Bottom