Leicester 5 United 0 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Pod and match report on a depressing day and weekend…

After a tumultuous 48 hours the Blades had a game to play but the miserable period many United fans had endured continued with a defeat at the King Power Stadium. After Chris Wilder’s departure, the Blades could not find any kind of performance and looked a sorry bunch as they were hammered by the high-flying Foxes. The game was incredibly one sided from start to finish and United were lucky it was kept to single figures as by the end. Leicester were good but did not even have to play well so wretched were United who as a club both on and off the field look completely devoid of a direction and a plan. For the Blades it was the heaviest defeat for 21 years and the worst in the top flight for 45 years.

There was no place for David McGoldrick who had a knee injury and temporary manager, Paul Heckingbottom opted to try a new strike pairing in Sharp and Burke. Leicester were without Harvey Barnes and James Maddison but started with Blades nemesis Jamie Vardy up front as they had the chance to go up to 2nd place.

The game started with United coughing up possession easily from the kick off and this set the scene with Norwood, Fleck, Basham and Ampadu all giving it away under no pressure. Leicester started to move it around and were dominating the ball in the early stages. Ndidi robbed Fleck and had the home side moving through the lines and Vardy was in but pulled his shot wide in the first effort.

Soon after, Fleck ran into trouble and Leicester broke and as Vardy fed Castagne, the cross then came over and Perez’s flicked header seemed goal bound but Ramsdale made a terrific finger tip save to push the ball onto the post.

It was all Leicester and Iheanacho nearly got in but Basham and then Stevens held up this particular attack. Bryan then was the next to make a mistake as he let Vardy got away but the striker’s shot was at Ramsdale and he saved with his feet before gathering at the second attempt.

United had barely had an attack but one Fleck run gave them a free kick but his delivery was poor and it was cleared. Norwood then tried to work something with a decent cross but Basham’s flicked header was flicked away from Sharp. These few minutes were the only real spell in a game Leicester had dominated and the home side were back on the attack. Bryan nearly let Vardy in again as his indecisive first half continued. Norwood then gave it away but in truth the Blades had barely had the ball with Sharp ad Burke not having many touches at all.

Ndidi and Tielemans were controlling midfield on and off the ball. Norwood and Lundstram then gave it away and a shot came in from Tielemans was deflected wide from Ampadu.

The goal seemed to be coming and so it proved. No pressure on the ball from the Blades and Leicester almost walked through with Perez eventually speeding things up and his clever ball saw Vardy away from Basham down the right hand channel. His cross was perfect for IHEANACHO who converted easily unopposed. Bryan was caught day dreaming and his wretched first half continued.

The same man, Iheanacho, nearly got in again as the Blades were opened up again but it went behind for a corner. The half finished with Leicester knocking it about comfortably in a game they had just cruised through with the Blades not able to do anything of note as an attacking side and struggling to hold up the movement, pace and skill of the opposition forwards.

Albrighton was on for Pereira at the half as Leicester knew they did not need defenders so put another forward on! The home side won an early corner as Bryan headed behind but it continued to be one way traffic.

United won a free kick but Fleck again gave it away and the home side were in again but Bryan made a great block as Iheanacho shot for goal. On the next attack, it should have been 2-0. Ampadu’s error saw them in again and the Iheanacho pull back put it on a plate for Vardy but his shot was headed off the line from Basham.

A rare break saw Burke have a half chance but he completely miskicked it and it went away from goal but Leicester went back on the break. The tempo was being dominated by them and they also were winning all the loose stuff and 50-50 tackles. United seemed unable to keep up with quicker, fitter and better footballers. It was painfully one sided.

Fleck gave away a daft free kick as once again another United player would not run back preferring the lazy and cynical option. The free kick was recycled as the ball remained in the Blades box.

It was incessant pressure and Iheanacho and Vardy were running riot and Leicester were continuing to our forward. Another attack came when Basham lost it to Vardy and after exchanging passes with Iheanacho, Vardy had a great chance but hit it straight at Ramsdale who saved. This was the second glaring miss of the game for the forward. Mousset came on for Burke but it did not change the flow of the game.

Baldock bought a foul with a theatrical fall but as the free kick was cleared, the ball went to the right hand side but Baldock tried to be too clever and was robbed. The home side poured forward and PEREZ took a touch and curled into the corner beyond Ramsdale as the defence stood off again. It had been coming and finally the second goal deservedly came.

Straight from the kick off Leicester won the ball back and were in again as Vardy and Perez took touches before the ball was scrambled clear. The third goal was not long in coming as Mousset could not hold the ball up and Leicester broke again and Vardy got down the left-hand channel again and with no pressure he put it over on a plate for IHEANACHO scored easily in a goal similar to his first.

United could not even keep the ball in the Leicester half from the kick off and incredibly Leicester won a corner straight away and a shot one was blocked from Norwood as Perez peeled off with nobody paying any attention. Leicester then attempted the same routine only minutes later and the Blades side unbelievable fell for it again and this time the shot was wide. United had completely gone with nobody even doing the basics as it was just a case of how many goals the home side would score.

Bryan’s horror show continued as he was booked for clumsily pulling Iheanacho down as he ran clear of him. The free kick was cleared but it continued to be in the Blades half who had barely had a move or attack in a pitiful second half performance.

Ampadu tried to come out with it but he lost it with no one showing although he dithered again on the ball and IHEANACHO robbed him and with no challenge incoming, he came inside and curled it past Ramsdale to complete his hat trick. It was more appalling play with no closing down or anyone going to the ball. The Blades keeper was left horribly exposed again.

Ndiaye came on for Norwood for his debut but it was not long before the 5th goal came on 79 minutes. Leicester broke again and Vardy got in on the angle as Baldock and Basham did not react and he ran in unopposed and hit a cross shot that AMPADU (OG) could only slice into his own net. 5-0 and still 10 minutes to play.

Mousset gave it away and Vardy left Basham for dead but Iheanacho this time hit his shot against Bryan before Albrighton nearly got in on the other side. It was a complete annihilation for the Blades who were just wanting full time to come.

Lundstram’s crude tackle summed up his season and United’s afternoon as he was rightly booked and Leicester had further half chances before mercifully after 3 minutes of stoppage time, the referee brought United’s pain to an end. They had lost 5-0 and it could have been double that. It was embarrassingly one sided and the Blades had been abject from start to finish.

United – Absolutely garbage. Pathetic. Insipid. Whatever phrase you want to use to describe the ineptitude of that performance. It was a complete hammering and we were lucky to only lose 5-0. It was like a Premier League side against a League 1 or 2 side. Indeed, sides from lower down the leagues would have given a better account probably. Not only where we out skilled and beat in every department individually and collectively but we were completely out fought and out battled. We did not get to the ball, did not win 50-50’s and did not even look bothered in the slightest. The second half the players looked like they did not want to be there. They looked a complete mess. No one even looked interested enough to have a row or argument with each other. They looked completely rudderless and for a side with a number of experienced players there was no leadership at all and the likes of Basham, Norwood, Sharp etc need to take some blame. Nobody got a grip of the side and tried to ensure we had some togetherness and organisation. It was just a completely horrific performance, particularly second half. If that would have been me, I would have been having it out with my teammates or shouting at someone. However, everyone was so bad they could not even do that. They did not even have the energy to have a go at each other. It was spineless.

A lot will be made of how we have folded today after Wilder left but let us be honest, it has been like that a lot this season. Even last week we could have lost 4 or 5-0 and there are many games that have been like that. Sometimes teams have just settled for 1 or 2-0 but could have scored more or have missed chances. A game like today has been coming all season. We have been dominated like today in many games. Today I will say that we did fold though and whilst in some other games we have kept going to some degree, we just completely packed up. Leicester looked like scoring every time they attacked. Every single move. We barely had the ball, barely had an attack or even got out of our half.

First half we were rubbish, giving it away constantly, sitting back and inviting pressure. They could have been 3-0 up after 15 minutes. They finally scored with an easy goal but we were lucky to be 1-0 at half time. We did not try and attack and just sat back. It was pitiful in how we approached things and our tactics just carried on how it has been every week – this is not about Wilder or Heckingbottom or any comparison and cannot be. We have played this same negative way most of the season.

After the break Leicester realised how bad we were and how deep we were and brought another forward player on and could have scored 2 or 3 before they got a 2nd. It then became 3, 4 and 5 and really could have been 10. It was so one sided it was untrue. We could not even get out of our box let alone our half. The kicks offs we had after the goals we gave it back. The way we just gave it straight to them and then reverted back to a defensive shape. The few times we had it and tried to run with it we just got outmuscled and harried out of it and they then broke and had more chances. It never stuck up front, heck we never even got it up front. The midfield was just on a different level and as bad as the defence was, they were given no protection at all from the rest of the team as wave after wave of attack came.

It said we had one attempt on the stats – I cannot recall one unless they count that awful Burke miscue or the Basham header off target? We barely had an attack let alone a shot and hardly ventured into their half. It was proper white flag time. The players had no belief they could eve be close in the game.

By the end, the players and fans just wanted the game to end. As I say it could have been a lot more. It was beyond embarrassing. I cannot even dissect the performance anymore other than to say the only positive was Ramsdale did ok again (and let in 5!) and the young lad made his debut Ndiaye. Every other player was appalling from pretty much start to finish.

Of course, it is natural to be affected by losing their manager but today the players to a man outside Ramsdale were appalling. They are professionals and at times I am not even sure they looked bothered. This was more than just lack of ability. They did not even run around today. They gave up. We have lauded these lads over the last few years but they deserve all the flak coming their way tonight.

The season is done. We are down and will go down with the lowest points total in our history and the lowest goals we have ever scored. We are one of the worst Premier League teams in history and are simply not good enough or close to it for this level. I expect a routine defeat at Chelsea in the FA Cup (the one thing we had left) and do not see us getting many points at all to end the season. The current form, attitude and direction means I would not be shocked if we lost every one of our last 10 games and had many more defeats like today where we get some absolute hammerings (still got to play Spurs, Arsenal – in fact everyone is miles better than us). Surely next week he has to try a different formation or approach. Maybe just go for it and throw men forward. We might get hammered. Hey (sound like McCabe) we are getting hammered anyway! I’d rather watch us lose 10-3 than that pathetic showing today.

The wider picture and backdrop of today is of course all about Wilder’s departure and it has bee discussed to death already so I will not dissect it too much here as this is more about the game.

On the Tufty Club podcast, we have discussed the exit in detail the other day so I won’t go over it again. I am gutted he has gone and feel it is completely the wrong move and have grave concerns about the future. I worry what Wilder knows and fundamentally he feels the club does not have the direction, strategy or finances to enable us to come back or stay at this level. Whatever the ins and outs and we may never know, that seems to be the bottom line. They want to go in a direction that is not aligned with his thoughts. It is a real shame they could not find some middle ground. Ultimately Wilder was United’s biggest asset and he has gone. Whether the board could have done more and that is again speculation and no more, or whether simply they cannot realise his ambitions then for whatever reasons they have parted. Much of it is guesswork.

All I do know is we have gone from a side that will go down but had a genuine hope of coming back under a manager we trusted and knew would hopefully get us going again, to a side and club that has no plan or direction. At least it appears not to. We have no manager, no scouting network, a dilapidated training ground and second-rate academy (compared to most others in the top two divisions). We still have a decent squad but as you saw today confidence is draining fast and you worry that players are just not the same as they were – you hope the lower level they can come again of course. Our owner is again largely absent and we seem to have no idea of where we are going. The concern is that Wilder does know something we don’t. Are we going to see a number of players leave? Are we in a hole financially and haemorrhaging money every week? There is a concern looking at how the Blades have gone before from such situations that we may drop further. You look at Sunderland, Bolton, Portsmouth who made poor choices with ownership/managers etc and worry where we may be in 2-3 years. From being a team that at worst may be a yo-yo team you now do not see a club that looks well equipped to bounce straight back but one that seems to have no identity or plan.

Personnel wise, there could and probably should be big changes but the fear is many will not want many of our players. You would expect Berge and O’Connell to move on. I would only seriously keep Ramsdale, Baldock, Bogle, Egan, Basham, and McGoldrick. There is question marks over Fleck, Stevens, Norwood, Brewster and McBurnie. The latter two have been flops so far and the former 3 seem to be declining fast. The young strikers will remain as no one will want them and we will hope a lower level we may see more but both are at a crossroads already albeit in a young career. I also would not be shocked if the older 3 are not here or are only squad players but then if we have no money may have to remain.

You would expect the 3 back up keepers, Rodwell, Bryan, Robinson, Jagielka and Lundstram to go. You would also hope we can find takers for the appalling Burke and Mousset – one is simply not a footballer, the other cannot play 45 minutes barely.

Quite simply you could be looking at a whole new midfield and actually starting the season with the same front two that ended the last Championship – that is how bad the signings we have made. There are holes all over the side. We literally have no midfielders who can run, tackle and/or create/score. It is a mess in here and the doubts over whether the key defenders will remain.

We also need to address the lack of conditioning and fitness – the team as others have said looks like it has aged 20 years since the lockdown. It is not just pace but athleticism and power – not sure what is happening behind the scenes but we have gone from a fit bunch who were stronger than many sides even at this level to a team that is knackered after 15 minutes and gets overpowered individually and collectively. We look like we are stuck in mud. We do not have the ball as simply are not quick, mobile or strong enough to run to get it. It sounds basic but it is a major factor. We cannot keep up with other teams. I expect Prestridge and Knill will move on and we need a fresh voice and direction on this side now. A lot has been made of tactics and approach and signings but we are getting overrun every week. Maybe the lack of confidence has contributed to this but today it was striking how far off we were in physical attributes as well as skill.

In 12 months, we have gone from this forward thinking, innovative and ambitious club seemingly to one now that appears rudderless and actually now on closer inspection was very much based on the great work of one man. Whilst that also may have been one of the fundamental issues moving forward (reliance on one man) it also means in the short term there is real concerns where we are going? If I was a player, I am not sure I would want to be hanging around and the likes of Egan, O’Connell and Berge will surely move on now when fit. The rest sadly have been so bad that they will not be commanding many offers but that is also a concern as the team has gone from a winning mentality to one that now looks beaten before games even start. That is very hard to turn around. I have gone from being excited about our future to now being thoroughly depressed. We need some decisive action and words from the board. The next few weeks there needs to be some honesty about the fundamental differences. Do not treat the fans like idiots. Why has Wilder moved on or have we opted to carry on with him or try and retain him? What direction are we going that he does not agree with? I expect nothing will be said though and we will bumble along. We will make an uninspiring appointment; players will move on and we will be mired in mediocrity in the Championship. Hope I am wrong but that is the way I see it. We need someone to galvanise the club. Bettis’ unconvincing stuttering statement and the press release suggest that of a club that has no idea where it is going or what to do next. As I say hope the board prove me wrong but I worry that we may be in a very similar position to our city rivals in a few years.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 6/10 – Terribly exposed again. Made a superb save from Perez and then did well to save a Vardy one too. No chance on the first goal. Shots and chances reign in on him every week. Second half he made a few saves from Vardy but they then finally started to score. He had no chance really with any of the goals with a few close-range ones and then a few shots where no pressure was on the ball. Made 3 or 4 saves and one really good one and had little chance with the goals. Must be fed up with the shambles in front of him. He probably thought Bournemouth and their defence was bad but this is a whole new level.

Baldock 2/10 – Fought hard and tried to stay with their players but even he struggled with pace and movement and he is one of our quicker players. However, he was really poor today and one of his worst performances in a red and white shirt. He fouled a few times or left space between him and Basham as teams again found these areas to cause problems. Barely got forward. Second half he had a number of mistakes. He lost it a few times in bad areas and then after cheating to win a free kick, he lost the ball soon after when they scored the 2nd. 5th goal got shrugged off it way too easily too and summed us up how weak we were. They came down both sides and we had gaps all over. He barely got over halfway and they just picked us off. I felt we did not stop their attackers all game as they were kept dribbling around us or past us. The few times we had it, then we gave it straight back.

Stevens 2.5/10 – Better than he has been just by the virtue he did not make any howlers but still was not great. He and Bryan though left a gap on their side, the same as the right-hand side and they found ways in. Although Bryan was awful and did not help him at all. Going forward saw nothing of him – he just kicked it against a man when he had it and never ran with it or looked like doing anything. Second half barely saw him and maybe gets some credit for as I say, not making as many howlers as he has done or the rest of the defence but he like the rest did not stem the tide but were not helped by the abject midfield.

Basham 2/10 – Nice to see him back but he was so far off the pace it was untrue. He generally struggles with Leicester and Vardy loves playing against him. He started the game with a few give aways and the movement was hard for him to keep up with. Got forward once with a flicked headed effort (our only half chance – if you can call it that). He then got done with a ball he should not have got caught out with and let the cross come in way too easy. He did head one off the line when Vardy should have scored after the break. However, Vardy just kept running away from him and he got into some bad positions being too high up the field or not tight enough when he did drive at him. Lost it trying to dribble forward and Vardy should have scored and then the final 20-25 minutes he and the rest of the defence just fell apart.

Amapadu 2.5/10 – Thought he was our best defender of a bad bunch who struggled and had no protection. He made a block, went on one run forward (more than anyone else) and at least put his body in the way but he gave it away a few times too. Ever goal he had a role! On the goal he gets in a bad position as much as Bash and Bryan will get criticism. Gambled on getting the ball 2nd half and this led to them having the one off the line. He then started making ill advised dashes and positionally the defence was all over the place with some coming and some going. We had no line at all. Did not press on the 3rd and then he lost it as he tried to carry it forward on the 4th and then scored an own goal. Worryingly I felt he did more good things than the other centre backs (and Ampadu made tons of mistakes). That sums it up. He was involved in many of the goals with errors or contributions but weirdly he actually looked like he gave more of a damn today than players that are going to be here next season. Still all that said, not sure what the point in playing him is as he won’t be here next season. Seems a bit pointless. It is only as we have no one else – same situation as Lundstram really. He has been ok at times but on the whole been a major disappointment for me.

Bryan 2/10 – Appalling performance. He looked like he was wearing pumps and could not stand up. Kept dithering with basic clearances and Vardy was let in 2 or 3 times. He was just half asleep and wanted ages to do things. Errors aplenty with his touch and passing too. The goal was woeful. What was he doing? Seemed to be half asleep. Second half did make one good tackle but that was about it. They kept coming past him easily and he carried on making mistakes or not getting out to the ball. Booked for a cynical pull back. A lot were saying we should give him another year a few weeks ago after a few decent games (after 3 years of looking nowhere near). Today showed he is what he is, a League One player at best. Why we would waste precious funds on keeping him I do not know. We would be better bringing through a younger player to signing and up and coming player from the lower leagues. He is mid 20’s so not sure he is going to improve.

Norwood 2.5/10 – One decent ball apart he was sloppy with it and off the ball he did not keep up with quicker and bigger athletes who just ran through us. He looked pitifully weak and slow. They just ran through the midfield. We put no pressure on the passes, shots or link play. We lost tackles and they just overran us. He made a few blocks second half I suppose. We maybe as well have not had a midfield. He did put one cross in for Basham but that was it. A ball player so why he plays when we do not have the ball, I do not know. May as well play a worker in Osborn. The focus will be on the defence possibly when we conceded 5 or the attack when we do not create anything but I still feel the major weakness all season has been the midfield. All the departments have not functioned together and none have been close to good enough but the way we got overrun, out skilled and out fought every game in here is startling.

Lundstram 2/10 – Barely noticed him. Ambled about and when he had it gave it away or floated aimless balls. He is just ging through the motions. Keeps getting picked somehow. Today I think there were players as bad as him so that shows how bad the rest were as he just carried on his lifeless and completely anonymous showings. Barely noticed him as we never had the ball, did not win tackles or harry or do anything. We finally saw him when he put a cynical tackle in for a yellow near the end. The only thing he has done in about a month. He is not going to be here so please take him out of the team.

Fleck 2/10 – Thought he had a bit of a nightmare. He did have one good run that won a free kick and never hid but he gave it away two or three times that led to chances or was easily robbed. A few times he lost it weakly and just gave up as they ran forward. Looked like he was exhausted after 20 minutes! He carried on losing the ball all game. He then nearly handballed it when a ball came across the box. This was after losing it and just standing there before it. They nearly scored a second after a terrible error after half time. He carried on his slow and lumbering performance. Looked woefully unfit and carrying too much weight. He could not keep up with his midfield counterparts and when he had it took forever to do anything with it. He had played well for a period in January but last month or so has gone back to the Jimmy Fleck performances. Looks so far off the pace. One that there are definite question marks along with Stevens and Norwood such has been their drop offs. People are just assuming these players and Brewster/McBurnie will be fine as it is a lower level but you cannot suddenly click form on – these lads are not even doing the basics well and all of them are not match sharp or fit enough. They cannot run let alone do anything with the ball when they had it!

Burke 1.5/10 - Not even a threat on the break today as could not even get it forward. He was hiding a lot though when we had it and I felt we had nothing to hit as bad as the midfield/defence were behind them. The ball kept coming back so the front two needed to work harder even if chasing back and pressing more. Still of course without any service it is really hard. Had one half chance but could not even get this one out for a throw in (lacked power) as he miskicked after the break on a rare break. Was taken off soon after. Looks a woeful player who cannot even do the basics. Maybe at a lower level we may see more from him but worry his main asset is pace and teams may sit in more against us so not sure what the point of him will be next season. We have a collection of really bad strikers. He had been added to it. Just does not look like a footballer.

Sharp 2.5/10 – As with Burke would be easy to put NA as they barely touched the ball but I suppose I have to mark them. Fell over a few times, barely touched the ball and not an outlet but had no service whatsoever as the game was played exclusively in our half. Looked old and slow today but then not sure it would have mattered who played up front. Did win a few free kicks I suppose. The only positive is his refreshingly honest (and quite emotional) interview at the end that pulled no punches in saying we were embarrassing. He looked close to tears as he called it out worst performance in the last 5 years. I probably disagree as we have been as bad as that many other games this season. That is the concern – that this was not a one off (score line maybe).

Subs –

Mousset 2/10 – He was as bad as Burke and that is saying something. Lost the ball twice on half way including the build up to the goal. Ambled around and looked disinterested but then so did everyone else. He has been charged with the driving offence this week so faces court this summer. Hopefully he will be facing it as a member of another club. Surely needs to be moved on but we will take a huge loss – do well to get anything for him. We just need to move him off the books.

Ndiaye – Hard for him and he did not have many touches. Lost it once and they broke and had a few other ok touches but the game was being played almost entirely in our box at this point. Hopefully we may see more of him or some of the others in the final games.

Manager: Heckingbottom NA – Not sure I can mark him – if I had to it would be 1/10 for putting the kid on near the end. Must have been a whirlwind few days for him. Managing the u23s on Friday and then thrust into the limelight. He admitted himself he did not have time to work with the team and the other staff had advised on changes as we went with a front two we had not seen in Sharp and Burke. He kept faith with the disappointing Stevens and Lundstram but did not expect him to make huge changes. I thought he may get some energy and something out of them but we looked flat and after we conceded (always coming) then we were done but even at 0-0 it was just a matter of time before Leicester scored. After this the game as it always has been when we concede, was done. 2nd half I thought he may have changed it tactically or personnel but he did not and we got even worse. The 2nd came just after we made the change but Mousset did not have any real time to change it but then he was as bad as Burke. Ndiaye at least got some game time which was good and I hope we do play some of the youngsters. Some say if we play them and get hammered it will destroy them but I don’t buy this. Giving them 10-15 minutes when we are already getting mullered is not going to finish them as players and is good experience for them for me. I would rather see some energy and different faces than this tired group that has no energy or belief.

Leicester – Season this year very similar to last year where they were right up in the top 3/4 all season before falling away. Rodgers is a good manager and has them pretty consistent week in and week out. They have a really good squad of players who work hard but they are actually better away than at home with the best away record in the league and only 7th or 8th for home record. Vardy is still at the heart of everything good but the likes of Maddison and Barnes are real talents and can create things out of nothing. Soyuncu, Pereira, Ndidi and the most of the lot for me Tielemans, are really solid performers that would get more kudos if they were at another bigger club. I think they can stay on the heels of the top sides for a top 4 but losing Barnes for longer term and Maddison for a period will not help although the latter will not be out for long.

Today it was like a practice game. Totally dominated us and it was embarrassingly one sided. They bossed the game from start to finish. The front three ran us ragged, the midfield dominated and the defence strolled it. Schmeichel may as well not have come out – it was so easy. He could have stayed in the dressing room. They knew it was so easy as they put on Albrighton for Pereira – an attacker for a defender when it was 1-0! If Vardy had his shooting boots on it would have been a lot more. They did not concede a chance or shot and every time they attacked, they looked like scoring. Better, quicker, stronger and more skilled from 1-11. They were a million times better than us and it was such an easy win. It was a practice game really as they did not even have to play that well. They could have scored many more goals. It was so easy and will not play a team as bad as us for many years.

Opponent Man of the Match – Every player was better than ours. The defence had nothing to do. Ndidi and Tielemans just dominated midfield and then the front players Perez, Vardy and hat trick man Iheanacho just ran us ragged. Vardy missed three but was still miles better than anything we had and we could not keep up with him as it looked like a set of kids playing grown men. Iheanacho gets the glory and the hat trick so probably takes the man of the match.

Opponent Weak link – Nobody was bad. Every player was infinitely better than ours. We did not put them under any pressure at all.

Referee/Officials – Peter Bankes. Easy game to ref. Bookings for Bryan and Lundstram for poor challenges. Could have booked a few more for cynical fouls we gave. Baldock conned him for a free kick actually. Not sure we won many others. Hard to win free kicks when you never have the ball or try and run with it. We just kept hacking or pulling down players as they went past us. We were crap

Coverage – Finally they have started calling us out for what we were. Terrible. Not sure they can say anything else. If I was Sky/BT or a pundit I would be dreading covering our games as they are a waste of time – they are a non event and are finished before they start.

As always... a good listen boys. And it helps to calm ones self down with a bit of lightheartedness thrown in 👍

Ratings:

Ramsdale 6/10 – Terribly exposed again. Made a superb save from Perez and then did well to save a Vardy one too. No chance on the first goal. Shots and chances reign in on him every week. Second half he made a few saves from Vardy but they then finally started to score. He had no chance really with any of the goals with a few close-range ones and then a few shots where no pressure was on the ball. Made 3 or 4 saves and one really good one and had little chance with the goals. Must be fed up with the shambles in front of him. He probably thought Bournemouth and their defence was bad but this is a whole new level.

Baldock 2/10 – Fought hard and tried to stay with their players but even he struggled with pace and movement and he is one of our quicker players. However, he was really poor today and one of his worst performances in a red and white shirt. He fouled a few times or left space between him and Basham as teams again found these areas to cause problems. Barely got forward. Second half he had a number of mistakes. He lost it a few times in bad areas and then after cheating to win a free kick, he lost the ball soon after when they scored the 2nd. 5th goal got shrugged off it way too easily too and summed us up how weak we were. They came down both sides and we had gaps all over. He barely got over halfway and they just picked us off. I felt we did not stop their attackers all game as they were kept dribbling around us or past us. The few times we had it, then we gave it straight back.

Stevens 2.5/10 – Better than he has been just by the virtue he did not make any howlers but still was not great. He and Bryan though left a gap on their side, the same as the right-hand side and they found ways in. Although Bryan was awful and did not help him at all. Going forward saw nothing of him – he just kicked it against a man when he had it and never ran with it or looked like doing anything. Second half barely saw him and maybe gets some credit for as I say, not making as many howlers as he has done or the rest of the defence but he like the rest did not stem the tide but were not helped by the abject midfield.

Basham 2/10 – Nice to see him back but he was so far off the pace it was untrue. He generally struggles with Leicester and Vardy loves playing against him. He started the game with a few give aways and the movement was hard for him to keep up with. Got forward once with a flicked headed effort (our only half chance – if you can call it that). He then got done with a ball he should not have got caught out with and let the cross come in way too easy. He did head one off the line when Vardy should have scored after the break. However, Vardy just kept running away from him and he got into some bad positions being too high up the field or not tight enough when he did drive at him. Lost it trying to dribble forward and Vardy should have scored and then the final 20-25 minutes he and the rest of the defence just fell apart.

Amapadu 2.5/10 – Thought he was our best defender of a bad bunch who struggled and had no protection. He made a block, went on one run forward (more than anyone else) and at least put his body in the way but he gave it away a few times too. Ever goal he had a role! On the goal he gets in a bad position as much as Bash and Bryan will get criticism. Gambled on getting the ball 2nd half and this led to them having the one off the line. He then started making ill advised dashes and positionally the defence was all over the place with some coming and some going. We had no line at all. Did not press on the 3rd and then he lost it as he tried to carry it forward on the 4th and then scored an own goal. Worryingly I felt he did more good things than the other centre backs (and Ampadu made tons of mistakes). That sums it up. He was involved in many of the goals with errors or contributions but weirdly he actually looked like he gave more of a damn today than players that are going to be here next season. Still all that said, not sure what the point in playing him is as he won’t be here next season. Seems a bit pointless. It is only as we have no one else – same situation as Lundstram really. He has been ok at times but on the whole been a major disappointment for me.

Bryan 2/10 – Appalling performance. He looked like he was wearing pumps and could not stand up. Kept dithering with basic clearances and Vardy was let in 2 or 3 times. He was just half asleep and wanted ages to do things. Errors aplenty with his touch and passing too. The goal was woeful. What was he doing? Seemed to be half asleep. Second half did make one good tackle but that was about it. They kept coming past him easily and he carried on making mistakes or not getting out to the ball. Booked for a cynical pull back. A lot were saying we should give him another year a few weeks ago after a few decent games (after 3 years of looking nowhere near). Today showed he is what he is, a League One player at best. Why we would waste precious funds on keeping him I do not know. We would be better bringing through a younger player to signing and up and coming player from the lower leagues. He is mid 20’s so not sure he is going to improve.

Norwood 2.5/10 – One decent ball apart he was sloppy with it and off the ball he did not keep up with quicker and bigger athletes who just ran through us. He looked pitifully weak and slow. They just ran through the midfield. We put no pressure on the passes, shots or link play. We lost tackles and they just overran us. He made a few blocks second half I suppose. We maybe as well have not had a midfield. He did put one cross in for Basham but that was it. A ball player so why he plays when we do not have the ball, I do not know. May as well play a worker in Osborn. The focus will be on the defence possibly when we conceded 5 or the attack when we do not create anything but I still feel the major weakness all season has been the midfield. All the departments have not functioned together and none have been close to good enough but the way we got overrun, out skilled and out fought every game in here is startling.

Lundstram 2/10 – Barely noticed him. Ambled about and when he had it gave it away or floated aimless balls. He is just ging through the motions. Keeps getting picked somehow. Today I think there were players as bad as him so that shows how bad the rest were as he just carried on his lifeless and completely anonymous showings. Barely noticed him as we never had the ball, did not win tackles or harry or do anything. We finally saw him when he put a cynical tackle in for a yellow near the end. The only thing he has done in about a month. He is not going to be here so please take him out of the team.

Fleck 2/10 – Thought he had a bit of a nightmare. He did have one good run that won a free kick and never hid but he gave it away two or three times that led to chances or was easily robbed. A few times he lost it weakly and just gave up as they ran forward. Looked like he was exhausted after 20 minutes! He carried on losing the ball all game. He then nearly handballed it when a ball came across the box. This was after losing it and just standing there before it. They nearly scored a second after a terrible error after half time. He carried on his slow and lumbering performance. Looked woefully unfit and carrying too much weight. He could not keep up with his midfield counterparts and when he had it took forever to do anything with it. He had played well for a period in January but last month or so has gone back to the Jimmy Fleck performances. Looks so far off the pace. One that there are definite question marks along with Stevens and Norwood such has been their drop offs. People are just assuming these players and Brewster/McBurnie will be fine as it is a lower level but you cannot suddenly click form on – these lads are not even doing the basics well and all of them are not match sharp or fit enough. They cannot run let alone do anything with the ball when they had it!

Burke 1.5/10 - Not even a threat on the break today as could not even get it forward. He was hiding a lot though when we had it and I felt we had nothing to hit as bad as the midfield/defence were behind them. The ball kept coming back so the front two needed to work harder even if chasing back and pressing more. Still of course without any service it is really hard. Had one half chance but could not even get this one out for a throw in (lacked power) as he miskicked after the break on a rare break. Was taken off soon after. Looks a woeful player who cannot even do the basics. Maybe at a lower level we may see more from him but worry his main asset is pace and teams may sit in more against us so not sure what the point of him will be next season. We have a collection of really bad strikers. He had been added to it. Just does not look like a footballer.

Sharp 2.5/10 – As with Burke would be easy to put NA as they barely touched the ball but I suppose I have to mark them. Fell over a few times, barely touched the ball and not an outlet but had no service whatsoever as the game was played exclusively in our half. Looked old and slow today but then not sure it would have mattered who played up front. Did win a few free kicks I suppose. The only positive is his refreshingly honest (and quite emotional) interview at the end that pulled no punches in saying we were embarrassing. He looked close to tears as he called it out worst performance in the last 5 years. I probably disagree as we have been as bad as that many other games this season. That is the concern – that this was not a one off (score line maybe).

Subs –

Mousset 2/10 – He was as bad as Burke and that is saying something. Lost the ball twice on half way including the build up to the goal. Ambled around and looked disinterested but then so did everyone else. He has been charged with the driving offence this week so faces court this summer. Hopefully he will be facing it as a member of another club. Surely needs to be moved on but we will take a huge loss – do well to get anything for him. We just need to move him off the books.

Ndiaye – Hard for him and he did not have many touches. Lost it once and they broke and had a few other ok touches but the game was being played almost entirely in our box at this point. Hopefully we may see more of him or some of the others in the final games.

Manager: Heckingbottom NA – Not sure I can mark him – if I had to it would be 1/10 for putting the kid on near the end. Must have been a whirlwind few days for him. Managing the u23s on Friday and then thrust into the limelight. He admitted himself he did not have time to work with the team and the other staff had advised on changes as we went with a front two we had not seen in Sharp and Burke. He kept faith with the disappointing Stevens and Lundstram but did not expect him to make huge changes. I thought he may get some energy and something out of them but we looked flat and after we conceded (always coming) then we were done but even at 0-0 it was just a matter of time before Leicester scored. After this the game as it always has been when we concede, was done. 2nd half I thought he may have changed it tactically or personnel but he did not and we got even worse. The 2nd came just after we made the change but Mousset did not have any real time to change it but then he was as bad as Burke. Ndiaye at least got some game time which was good and I hope we do play some of the youngsters. Some say if we play them and get hammered it will destroy them but I don’t buy this. Giving them 10-15 minutes when we are already getting mullered is not going to finish them as players and is good experience for them for me. I would rather see some energy and different faces than this tired group that has no energy or belief.

Leicester – Season this year very similar to last year where they were right up in the top 3/4 all season before falling away. Rodgers is a good manager and has them pretty consistent week in and week out. They have a really good squad of players who work hard but they are actually better away than at home with the best away record in the league and only 7th or 8th for home record. Vardy is still at the heart of everything good but the likes of Maddison and Barnes are real talents and can create things out of nothing. Soyuncu, Pereira, Ndidi and the most of the lot for me Tielemans, are really solid performers that would get more kudos if they were at another bigger club. I think they can stay on the heels of the top sides for a top 4 but losing Barnes for longer term and Maddison for a period will not help although the latter will not be out for long.

Today it was like a practice game. Totally dominated us and it was embarrassingly one sided. They bossed the game from start to finish. The front three ran us ragged, the midfield dominated and the defence strolled it. Schmeichel may as well not have come out – it was so easy. He could have stayed in the dressing room. They knew it was so easy as they put on Albrighton for Pereira – an attacker for a defender when it was 1-0! If Vardy had his shooting boots on it would have been a lot more. They did not concede a chance or shot and every time they attacked, they looked like scoring. Better, quicker, stronger and more skilled from 1-11. They were a million times better than us and it was such an easy win. It was a practice game really as they did not even have to play that well. They could have scored many more goals. It was so easy and will not play a team as bad as us for many years.

Opponent Man of the Match – Every player was better than ours. The defence had nothing to do. Ndidi and Tielemans just dominated midfield and then the front players Perez, Vardy and hat trick man Iheanacho just ran us ragged. Vardy missed three but was still miles better than anything we had and we could not keep up with him as it looked like a set of kids playing grown men. Iheanacho gets the glory and the hat trick so probably takes the man of the match.

Opponent Weak link – Nobody was bad. Every player was infinitely better than ours. We did not put them under any pressure at all.

Referee/Officials – Peter Bankes. Easy game to ref. Bookings for Bryan and Lundstram for poor challenges. Could have booked a few more for cynical fouls we gave. Baldock conned him for a free kick actually. Not sure we won many others. Hard to win free kicks when you never have the ball or try and run with it. We just kept hacking or pulling down players as they went past us. We were crap

Coverage – Finally they have started calling us out for what we were. Terrible. Not sure they can say anything else. If I was Sky/BT or a pundit I would be dreading covering our games as they are a waste of time – they are a non event and are finished before they start.

JUSTICE FOR AARON RAMSDALE

Sounds terrible. Glad I missed it.
Still another £100 in the pocket on the 3 goal handicap.

It was an utterly abysmal performance.

The only factor which maybe mitigates is that they seemed shell shocked from the start. They looked as shattered and disheartened by the drawn out nightmare since Friday as we all are.

As highly paid (compared to us) professional footballers they should be able to switch their focus and attention to doing the very best on the pitch for the club they represent, but I suppose today's circumstances were bizarre.

However, next time out there can be no excuse for such a craven, dire, disorganised offering. That should be the last chance saloon for several of them.

The worst bit about it all, of course, is that we are still falling and there is still lots of time left this season for us to get even worse and more embarrassing.
The new manager must come in well before the season finishes or the situation for next season will become irretrievable. The players have no accountability at the moment and no one to lead them, on or off the field.
As DB says, certain players have to be ejected now. They have no future at United and they don't want one.
I can only see someone like Eddie Howe coming in soon that might give us some hope for next season.
UTB

I share your pain DB. You are correct this defeat was coming irrespective of who was in charge. We have gone from one manager who can keep the defeats down to the odd goal to a newbie thrown to the wolves where the players appear to have given up. 16 goals all season and 23 defeats in 29 can not disguise what a mess this season has been.

Last week Ramsdale ensured we didn't have a similar score line against a poor Southampton team who have lost again this week. To-day against much better opponents we have laid down and waved the white flag second half. Sad to view Billy Sharps post match interview. Its not just about CW going as he said some players are just not doing it in training at the moment. Discipline, desire and commitment to the cause seem to have gone out of the window.

I can stomach defeat if we go down fighting but the abject surrender to-day was shameful and I suspect that hurt Sharp just as much as losing the Manager.

Its a sad reflection of our predicament that we may have to rely on a 38 year old to bring some organisation to the defence but without Jags today the defence was a mess. Presumably he'll be in for the Chelsea game for Ampadu.

Good to see a youngster given a chance at least.

Off the field it doesn't help when Bettis shoehorns his mate into the coaching staff without speaking to Heckinbottom. If this is part of a master plan to try and entice Howe to the Club then Bettis needs to realise that a few more displays like to-day will impact on the enthusiasm for taking on the job. Playing the long game never works. We need an appointment now to stem the downward spiral we have been on all season. The longer we delay the more damage it will do to our prospects of mounting a challenge next season. That will in turn erode any remaining support the Prince has left. If PA wants to damp down the growing agitation about CW leaving he needs to take action now to stop the Club imploding.

I can't fault a word of that match report, but it does seem rather strange that you bemoan us losing our best asset Chris Wilder then a little lower down the page slag off virtually every player as not good enough or in terminal decline and state the squad is full of holes. Now if the players are as bad as you say (to be fair I do agree) doesn't Chris Wilder have to take a lot of the responsibility for that?

Good report DB, a few bits I disagree with but generally in agreement with it.

Gutless and I’d say contrived shitshow today by the players.

Could do with Abdullah coming out and telling people what’s going on because I can see 3/4/5 nil coming a feature of the last few games and people will want to know why we’ve downed tools following a decision of the club to sack someone who the players obviously held in high regard.

We never lost 5 nil under Wilder despite how shit we’ve been.

Completely agree with the point about any hope for next season going up in smoke. I really hope whoever the people who pulled the trigger were are happy with themselves. Idiots.

I can't fault a word of that match report, but it does seem rather strange that you bemoan us losing our best asset Chris Wilder then a little lower down the page slag off virtually every player as not good enough or in terminal decline and state the squad is full of holes. Now if the players are as bad as you say (to be fair I do agree) doesn't Chris Wilder have to take a lot of the responsibility for that?
Wilder has to take some blame but I think he acknowledged that we had wringed maybe everything he could out of this group. I think he would have jettisoned a number. Many have done fantastic for 4 years so have not always been bad but we needed changes. I think Wilder knew that. Last summer noone would have said that though or preferred tweaks. Hindsight easy for us all to say.

Wilder has to take some blame but I think he acknowledged that we had wringed maybe everything he could out of this group. I think he would have jettisoned a number. Many have done fantastic for 4 years so have not always been bad but we needed changes. I think Wilder knew that. Last summer noone would have said that though or preferred tweaks. Hindsight easy for us all to say.
Sorry DB I agree with Metal Blade. Wilder had the chance and wasted a fortune to make the correct changes to personnel. Why would he suddenly find the skill to get the players needed to replace the aging players as well as find players to replace the players he brought in the last 18 months?

We need to find someone to manage us who is really, really good in the transfer market. Even keeping Wilder we would need to rejuvenate midfield and try and find a workable attacking strategy.
The premier league has stepped up about 5 notches on physicality and speed and our small, but feisty championship and league 1 legacy players have been simply and ruthlessly swept aside.
Realistically we need to lose about 15 players and get about 10 new ones in.
I think Wilder was beginning to see it and his latest set of transfers were aiming at this but still need to address the lack of dynamism of most of the senior pros...

Well summed up, as usual DB. Hard to stick a "Like" on such dismal but truthful reading.
Big rabbit needed to be pulled out of a small hat soonest possible by the Prince otherwise the Faithful will turn and a proper shit storm will ensue. UTB.

Cheered me up slightly listening to this. Amazing that we've gone from the brink of Europe to trying to work out if the rules allow us to forfeit our remaining games in under a year 😂

How did it come to this. Thought the players collectively and individually gave up today. Can take the fact that we are not good enough for this level, that is not the players fault, but that yesterday was something else. The attitudes of a few in particular was a disgrace and took me back to Atkins final game, yes it was that bad.

The club need to come out and explain more fully what has gone on and what the plan is going forward. Accept some details need to remain confidential but the fans deserve something more of an explanation. All I have seen is an interview from Bettis with someone from the club asking pre prepared bland question with suitably bland answers. Even he looked embarrassed by it all. Why not proper press conference with proper journalists asking proper questions.

I am really worried as to the future direction we are going in and can see this getting a whole lot worse. I am not even sure who is making the decisions anymore.

Enjoyed the pod again, less said about the game the better.

Good point on the nonsense posts by the social media team, I only see what's posted on here but there's some shite. I expect they will be 'doing a Lundstram' between now and the end of the season as we'll just get a general dogsbody to do socials when we're back in the Championship and probably won't be working for us much longer. We could use the money saved to fix the roof at the shitty training ground we've got.

Cheered me up slightly listening to this. Amazing that we've gone from the brink of Europe to trying to work out if the rules allow us to forfeit our remaining games in under a year 😂
Good point, I need to look this up. It’s definitely an option for some of the games.

Enjoyed the pod again, less said about the game the better.

Good point on the nonsense posts by the social media team, I only see what's posted on here but there's some shite. I expect they will be 'doing a Lundstram' between now and the end of the season as we'll just get a general dogsbody to do socials when we're back in the Championship and probably won't be working for us much longer. We could use the money saved to fix the roof at the shitty training ground we've got.
Or buy a bigger bucket.

Putrid performance from a bunch of losers. Not much more to say.

Deadbat - how can you say that this squad as it stands would be too 6 in Championship? They would struggle to reach mid table. Not fit enough, not strong enough, and many of them have been so poor for so long that it’s not a slump, this is the new norm.

I have been saying for some time that this is mid table at best next season. Some more bad signings and a bad managerial appointment and it might be worse.

BTW enjoyed this weekend’s double header but please don’t become podcast wafflers. You’re the only ones of the 3 Blades ones I listen to who have some discipline in that regard. Unless it’s an Interview the more a pod exceeds an hour, the worse it becomes, as a rule.

I share your pain DB. You are correct this defeat was coming irrespective of who was in charge. We have gone from one manager who can keep the defeats down to the odd goal to a newbie thrown to the wolves where the players appear to have given up. 16 goals all season and 23 defeats in 29 can not disguise what a mess this season has been.

Last week Ramsdale ensured we didn't have a similar score line against a poor Southampton team who have lost again this week. To-day against much better opponents we have laid down and waved the white flag second half. Sad to view Billy Sharps post match interview. Its not just about CW going as he said some players are just not doing it in training at the moment. Discipline, desire and commitment to the cause seem to have gone out of the window.

I can stomach defeat if we go down fighting but the abject surrender to-day was shameful and I suspect that hurt Sharp just as much as losing the Manager.

Its a sad reflection of our predicament that we may have to rely on a 38 year old to bring some organisation to the defence but without Jags today the defence was a mess. Presumably he'll be in for the Chelsea game for Ampadu.

Good to see a youngster given a chance at least.

Off the field it doesn't help when Bettis shoehorns his mate into the coaching staff without speaking to Heckinbottom. If this is part of a master plan to try and entice Howe to the Club then Bettis needs to realise that a few more displays like to-day will impact on the enthusiasm for taking on the job. Playing the long game never works. We need an appointment now to stem the downward spiral we have been on all season. The longer we delay the more damage it will do to our prospects of mounting a challenge next season. That will in turn erode any remaining support the Prince has left. If PA wants to damp down the growing agitation about CW leaving he needs to take action now to stop the Club imploding.
Appointing someone now is fine, as long as we don’t rush and lose someone better had we taken more time to look.
An appointment by the end of the season would be best I think.

I just don’t get why we didn’t play 4 in midfield. The last few times we have played them they have run us all over in midfield with skilled, quick players.
And yes they did it again, we couldn’t get near them and were totally out played and out numbered

We were so crap Deadbat you couldn't even complete the ref's review without reminding everyone that we were crap! We really were that crap.

We were crap

BTW enjoyed this weekend’s double header but please don’t become podcast wafflers. You’re the only ones of the 3 Blades ones I listen to who have some discipline in that regard. Unless it’s an Interview the more a pod exceeds an hour, the worse it becomes, as a rule.
Yeah, it won’t happen again. It was our own rule that the snap reactions not go over 15 minutes when we first started, but in lockdown we crept longer and people seemed to prefer it. There’s never much of a plan (what do you mean it shows?) - though I guess we aim for about 30-60 mins, but always end up nearer the hour.

Yesterday was weird though, too much absolute nonsense to comment on. You know you’re in trouble time-wise when you even find yourself moaning about the length of a press release.

Back
Top Bottom