Player Suggestion Jay Spearing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bolton were paying silly money. I doubt we'd match what he was on.

Reading how Bolton have screwed over the ones who are out of contract. Not paying them their bonus that they earned etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was earning best part of £20k he will have to take a cut on that no question about that regardless of where he goes and playing in league one last season taints his reputation a touch.

At the right money I think he could be a very good addition.

Decent shout to be fair. Available on a free and has a decent pedigree. Played 42 games last season and according to Parkinson was terrific for them last season. At 28 still has plenty left in the tank and if we don't get Leonard then I can see Spearing as a possible alternative. Saying that I'm only going on his reputation and what Parkinson said, and I didn't see the Bolton games last season to know ho he decent he looked. He scored their only goal from outside the box on the first day of the season I recall.

He's not better than what we have.

Maybe not, but he offers something different. Even Fleck, our most combative midfielder, isn't capable of playing the enforcer role. We need someone to protect the back four against some of the leagues better sides, especially away.

Maybe not, but he offers something different. Even Fleck, our most combative midfielder, isn't capable of playing the enforcer role. We need someone to protect the back four against some of the leagues better sides, especially away.
Fleck can play any midfield role, he's that good!

Is he good looking enough though?

I'd say not.

He's worth considering in football terms but it depends what he's after in monetary terms. It sounds like he's left because Bolton couldn't afford his wage demands.

He wouldn't be an automatic starter, he would have to fight for his place and would we want to lump a hefty portion of our salary budget on someone that would initially be a squad player?

Decent and realistic suggestion but I suspect even if we were interested it wouldn't happen.

Flecks great, but I don't think he can play that role
Fleck can play that role but not as solidly or consistently as spearing who is another monty (who i liked btw) chali 2na is right in his assessment spearing would be a great squad player for difficult games/injury cover,but would he want to be a squad player and would his wages be prohibitive i would think they would be

Would be a very good signing, add competition to the midfield. Easily their best player last season.

He played for Bolton when me and the nipper went over for last seasons FA Cup game.

Thought his delivery of balls into the box was outstanding - but that was because Bolton had loads of big players to aim for - we don't.

We have just released probably our best dead ball player in Hussey to Swindon.

Seriously - we are much much better than what Spearing can offer to us.

UTB

If he'd accept a reasonable wage and the fact he'd be a squad rotation players, then he'd be a great signing. He's got a touch of class, gives his all and would give us more solidity when needed (I'm still not sure how Fleck and Coutts worked tbh). He's had a few injuries though, so would need a thorough medical.

Agree with you wizadry. Fleck plays this role anyway. Do people think Coutts was the tough tackling midfielder last season or something???? It was Fleck, you plonkers :)

We dominated practically every game, the need for a defensive midfielder was far less, so it's a poor comparison. Fleck had a lot of freedom last year, and I think that's when he's at his best: not when he's purely just breaking up play - which is what we will need at times.

Agree with you wizadry. Fleck plays this role anyway. Do people think Coutts was the tough tackling midfielder last season or something???? It was Fleck, you plonkers :)
Agree. There were times last season where Fleck was running past Coutts to track back, if Coutts wants to continue in this role then that side of his game will have to improve in the Championship. His other qualities are there for all to see but you can't have opposition midfielders running past you, this is when you can end up in deep shit.

Since we seem to be in deadlock in terms of pursuing Ryan Leonard, is Jay Spearing a realistic alternative?

Turned down Bolton's offer of a contract and is currently a free agent. By far their most technically gifted player last year, remember that worldy he scored at their place to beat us?

Does a bit of everything and is defensively minded. I imagine right now he just wants to get back playing and might jump at the chance to join us.

On a free I think it could be good business, put that 700k for Leonard towards someone else. Preferably a striker.

I think he would make a great addition but I expect his wage is huge and I doubt he would come in as 2nd or 3rd choice CM.

Since we seem to be in deadlock in terms of pursuing Ryan Leonard, is Jay Spearing a realistic alternative?

Turned down Bolton's offer of a contract and is currently a free agent. By far their most technically gifted player last year, remember that worldy he scored at their place to beat us?

Does a bit of everything and is defensively minded. I imagine right now he just wants to get back playing and might jump at the chance to join us.

On a free I think it could be good business, put that 700k for Leonard towards someone else. Preferably a striker.

While in practice I don't disagree, as Stretch points out he'll be on much bigger wages than Leonard and the transfer fee we save would easily be swallowed up by wages and signing on fee. Would in all probability cost us more.

At the minute he's on naff all, so maybe he might accept a lowball offer :)

The trouble for me might be he doesn't want to come in as cover. Which he would be for the first few weeks without doubt.

But at the end of the day we do only really have 3 centre midfielders, and we play 2. If he fancies his ability it might be a goer.

Back
Top Bottom