January Transfer window.. The verdict

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So how do you reckon it's gone for us this time?

• Excellent

Votes: 74 42.0%
  • Decent

Votes: 88 50.0%
  • Average

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Disapointing

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zablade

Reaction score
Taking into account the Arrivals, departures, contract extensions, not too bad, The Beard returning and Murphy's new contract the big pluses.

The big downer no out and out goalscorer signed (again)

As I mentioned in the Shoutbox this looks like the makings of a very good team to challenge for League one promotion... Next season, (as long as the board holds its nerve in the summer)

I am Not sure we have enough to get up this year.

Last edited:

Decent. Seem like good signings but we needed that proven centre forward. Shows how hard it is to get one. Hopefully Matt Done can surprise me and be the man.

Easily one of the best we've had in recent years - can't really moan when we've not sold any big names and we've brought in the likes of Brayford, Coutts and Freeman, as well as the contract renewals of Murphy and Kennedy.

Rochdale fans didn't seem to enjoy the departure of Done either, which can only be a good thing!

Especially considering some of our transfer windows, it's been a very good one. We are completely stacked in terms of cover and Brayford, Coutts and Done are all excellent signings.

It's a shame we didn't bring COG in but we'll see how Done works out. McGinn off the books is also a plus (in terms of wage bill, nothing against him personally).

Just need to look at a loan Striker and maybe a CB

I'm personally very happy with our deals this January,we could go on a very good run now,i really fancy us to tear a few sides apart.

Looking at the five ins Brayford Is outstanding signing, well done Nigel, Coutts could be if he gets and stays fit, Holt I know nothing about so can't judge him, Done looked very good for Rochdale when they played us but divided opinion at Barnsley so let's see, Freeman, well I didn't rate him last season and looked not great to say the least on Saturday.

Murphy great news about the contract as long as we aren't being strung along until after the season ticket renewal date has passed.

Not signing the out and out goal scorer is more than a downer it is a kick in the guts, and I accept it perhaps isn't necessary the fault of this transfer window but of three years of putting their heads in the sand since Evans went down.

Looking at the five ins Brayford Is outstanding signing, well done Nigel, Coutts could be if he gets and stays fit, Holt I know nothing about so can't judge him, Done looked very good for Rochdale when they played us but divided opinion at Barnsley so let's see, Freeman, well I didn't rate him last season and looked not great to say the least on Saturday.

Murphy great news about the contract as long as we aren't being strung along until after the season ticket renewal date has passed.

Not signing the out and out goal scorer is more than a downer it is a kick in the guts, and I accept it perhaps isn't necessary the fault of this transfer window but of three years of putting their heads in the sand since Evans went down.

Think the Brayford signing wil come to fruition when he helps the striker from DCFC make up his mind to join on loan.

5 (+1) in
0 out

Highlights:

Take one of our play-off rivals best players (and probably help in Doyle's Chessy exit) bring Brayford home (ffs!!!!)...excellent window for us...(you can add Che Adams to that window also...didn't think he'd get a look in this season but is looking good for 2015...)

Freeman will do a job and Coutts could prove to be that missing piece in midfield...as for Holt, well who knows...

Low-points: Losing out on COG and Doyle...

Still, a happy Blade tonight.

UTB!

In the summer now if we're able to revive the COG bid and bring in a replacement for Doyle as the anchor in midfield I feel we'd be pretty well equipped to compete again in League One or even up in the Championship should the best case scenario happen this season

Brilliant! The best Window for many years.

Excited the Beard is back; his runs will make things happen!

Excited about Coutts, when he gets up to full match fitness, we will see a stronger, more solid, yet gifted Midfield.

Excited to see the new buys pay off.

Finally, excited to see Murphy and Kennedy extend their time with the blades. Che sparkling and Davies back from his injuries. Che's youthful exuberance and talent is a joy to behold and we missed Free Kicks and Set pieces from Davies...so nearly scored at Swindon and not yet up to speed.

When Murphy, Reed, Che, Brayford, JCR, Flynn, MM and Davies get the ball, you feel something can happen. Now add Done!

Brilliant!

Done is a great player, joining a team of great players. Hoping to see them gel and cause problems all over the pitch for the opposition. I would have liked us to sign a 20 goal+ striker, as would every other fan at our club, and every other club in the division and league. But since they are as rare as a Dingle in a bath, I believe the signings are as good as I could have hoped for.

I was just reading on BM that we now have 41 first team members - not including those out on loan (Long). 13 of those are either not going to play (Collins) or are part of the youngsters not ready yet to make the step up (Paling, Banton etc) with 3 GKs - it still leaves 25 for 10 outfield positions and even with 6 outfield subs, 8 will not feature each game.

Having said that with injuries and suspensions you could argue it is the right number!

The list as given:

GK(3) - Howard, Turner, Willis
D(12) - Brayford, Freeman, Alcock, McGahey, Basham, McEveley, Collins, Kennedy, Harris, Paling, Banton, Scarisbrick
M(20) - Doyle, Holt, Reed, Dimaio, Khan, Flynn, Murphy, Scougall, Cuvelier, Davies, McFadzean, Wallace, JCR, Adams, Coutts, Wallace, Calvert-Lewin, Coustrain, Hamilton, Whiteman
F(6) - McNulty, Baxter, Diego, Done, Higdon, McDonagh

Maybe Done is not one of our top list of striker targets and probably we have paid over the odds in desperation. So what? It is a step in the right direction ( if he is any good). When we unearth the talisman striker sometime Done can play various positions. Busy player who scores goals all of a sudden.

Is it a coincidence that CArdiff got Doyle? Did we agree to back off as part of the Brayford deal? Stranger deals have happened.

Coutts looks a gamble on his fitness. Freeman poor defensively,good with the ball, should improve and needs to.

Brayford is quality, maybe not a super hero, but quality. Whether we should have paid all that in our situation, time will tell.

Delighted about Kennedy getting that important contract.
Murphy extension the best deal in the window.

JTW 2015 - Landmark month when the board convinced the fans. At long last the club is United !

Maybe Done is not one of our top list of striker targets and probably we have paid over the odds in desperation. So what? It is a step in the right direction ( if he is any good). When we unearth the talisman striker sometime Done can play various positions. Busy player who scores goals all of a sudden.

Is it a coincidence that CArdiff got Doyle? Did we agree to back off as part of the Brayford deal? Stranger deals have happened.

Coutts looks a gamble on his fitness. Freeman poor defensively,good with the ball, should improve and needs to.

Brayford is quality, maybe not a super hero, but quality. Whether we should have paid all that in our situation, time will tell.

Delighted about Kennedy getting that important contract.
Murphy extension the best deal in the window.

JTW 2015 - Landmark month when the board convinced the fans. At long last the club is United !

No panic or bum steer buys , blades have been financially astute in the winners and losers gamble of the JTW. This time i think we have come out winners. Hats off to all involved at BDTBL.

UTB

I was just reading on BM that we now have 41 first team members - not including those out on loan (Long). 13 of those are either not going to play (Collins) or are part of the youngsters not ready yet to make the step up (Paling, Banton etc) with 3 GKs - it still leaves 25 for 10 outfield positions and even with 6 outfield subs, 8 will not feature each game.

Having said that with injuries and suspensions you could argue it is the right number!

The list as given:

D(12) - Brayford, Freeman, Alcock, McGahey, Basham, McEveley, Collins, Kennedy, Harris, Paling, Banton, Scarisbrick
M(20) - Doyle, Holt, Reed, Dimaio, Khan, Flynn, Murphy, Scougall, Cuvelier, Davies, McFadzean, Wallace, JCR, Adams, Coutts, Wallace, Calvert-Lewin, Coustrain, Hamilton, Whiteman

I'd say Adams F and Baxter M

The list as given:

I would call that 22 "Senior" players plus juniors.

Clough is trying to balance the twin aims of getting promoted in the short-term, while also building a squad of young players for the future.

Should he have not brought in Adams, K.Wallace and Holt when he got the chance just to keep the total number of players below a nominally acceptable level?

Or should he have not signed Brayford, Coutts and Done and said "forget promotion this season. I'll play the kids with a view to bringing them through"?

Personally, I think he's getting the balancing act about right by making us competitive in three competitions while still giving games to around 8 of the under 21's.

To talk of 41 "first team players" is blatantly an exaggeration.

There is an article on the BBC website from the Wet Spam chairman David Gold about recruiting players last night.

"Sorry for keeping you up late but at the last moment the main deal collapsed (edit: Adebayor) and the rest folded like a pack of cards," tweeted Gold.
He thanked co-owner David Sullivan and manager Sam Allardyce for their efforts, blaming the Premier League club's failure to land new players on "people out their that you just can't do business with".

Just goes to show that "game changing investment" is in some cases down to external forces and not due to Internal forces.

Perhaps the detractors may cut our board and management a bit of slack to now get on with the job of getting us out of this shit division.

There is ALSO the loan market which opens soon, so the "dealings" may not yet be finished. Brighton may get someone on loan which may in turn release COG. Just give the management their due respect.

UTB

Don't know what people are on about with Freeman, good last year and good on Saturday.

I think we may have already signed the player to replace Doyle as he ages in Coutts, who played that role Saturday.

I'm not certain Brayford's worth as much to us as what we supposedly paid, especially if it affected other deals. Clearly he's a good player so hopefully i'm just being overly frugal.

I've gone 'disappointing'. Before the optimists start shitting lego bricks, I'll explain why.

Brayford - really, really happy to see this bloke back. His energy up the flanks is essential to the on field setup and he sparks the atmosphere. Or did. Let's hope this coming half season is the same.

Coutts - In and out of a Derby setup and allegedly a bit injury-prone. Okay, the injury was a dislocated knee, but I hope it's not one that will haunt him and keep him from making an impact or he fast becomes Cuvellier Mk2

Freeman - Another player who is hot and cold with opinion. As I recall, from his dozen or so games last season, we could take it or leave it where he is concerned

Holt - again, a bit Barry Oddnob on this. I didn't exactly hear anyone on here going, "Hey up. I reckon ... right ... I reckon we should go for that midfielder who is out on loan at Raith Rovers - Jason Holt. Quality signing if we get him. It's an area of our play where we really, really need strengthening." He might be fucking outstanding for us ... but where does that leave an establishing 'rest of the midfield' which is already stuffed to the gills with playing staff? Come on. Own up. When we signed him how many, like me, fired up Wikipedia to look him up? Now if it was Grant Holt on a loan ...

Done - another wide midfielder, competeing in a team which contains JCR, Davies, Flynn, Murphy, Adams and a few other floating and minor midfielders who can play in these areas. I am behind Cloughs morphing of Sheffield United into a cracking, flanks-burning dynamic outfit and at last getting away from hoof, but some of these bit-part players need shifting on then. They can't all get a game and if he is intending rotating the team, then bang goes your consistency. Look at what happened last season when we finally got a settled outfit and a style of play. We were fucking glorious.

I am disappointed for one reason and one reason only. At this level to get anywhere we need a front pairing (and back ups) one of which is a 20+ a season and the others 15+ between them. McNulty - getting there but far and away from any end result), Baxter (skilful but way below any level of impact), Diego (fringle player for some reason), Higdon (a busted flush) are nowhere near what we need.

You'll all hate me for this (now there's a switch) but I'd trade in all of the above for just a decent frontman who would bang in 12-16 goals between now and May. And that my fellow Bladesmen, is possibly going to be the difference between us dominating the playoff positions (forget automatic now) and going on to win the playoffs, and us being the fucking bridesmaids, once again. We can't solely rely on the midfield to bang them in all the time, unless we recalibrate them as strikers (Murphy and Adams for example)

If we fail to make the playoffs - god forbid - we have technically not progressed one iota from last season's finish, a position the board should (but won't) find untenable.

Here's hoping we get something, then.

pommpey

I'm pretty pleased with our haul and would expect that, barring disaster, we will make the playoffs. Too early to say if we have any chance of winning them.

I still do not think there are enough goals in the squad to get in the top 2 (plus even if there was better striking talent, we are a long way behind).

Back
Top Bottom