Is slav the man for a rebuild

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No, he can send a glass eye to sleep. Boring monotone manager, how does that motivate the team and don't even get me started on his team selections and tactics. A poor, very expensive manager. I guarantee he will not be here at the end of the season.

Good players don't need kicks up the arse, the hairdryer treatment or constant motivation. That's just the Sheffield United interpretation of what a good manager does.

Good players are good players because they possess all the self motivational attributes in the world, they soon get found if they haven't, no matter how technically good they are.

Only average players playing at a higher level than they should be playing at need the constant kicks up the arse to keep their concentration levels up.

No surprise is it ? That our only successful managers are the motivational, screaming, shouting, hairdrying treatment types whose only option is to scream and shout the best out of average players playing at a higher level than they should be.

Last edited:
I’m not sure that’s true at all. Slav wasn’t in charge of transfers at previous clubs - I.e director of football above him at Fulham.

There’s a wider question of who is actually deciding that currently?
If Slav had Wilder’s budget we’d be promoted by Easter.

Looks like Slavs main target is A guy almost 37 who has been playing in the Middle East for two years.

Either Slav isnt being backed or he’s lost the plot.

If we get rid of him then what, back to Heckingbottom?

We have to persist. He may need two windows. We may finish bottom 10 this season but we need to give him time to overhaul this awful squad that is stuck in a losing mentality.

I am more concerned he won't get the players and will just bugger off.

If we don't get the players then results won't improve, fans will get impatient and the board will sack him.

One way or another unless something dramatic happens in the next 10 days (5 or 6 quality players) I actually don;t see him here by the end of the season.

I don;t want that bu the way but can see it happening.

I will be more surprised if Heckingbottom is not our manager at the end of the season, than not.

Does Slav have any targets of his own? Or is he just going to try and fit in players he's given?
Davies has come in, we wanted him when CW was here. Viera almost came, was he a Slav target or others at the club? Linked with the 37m man at man ure, but apparently been sniffing round him since January, so obviously not an original Slav target? Pigs have brought in 13 players, ok mainly waifs and strays, whilst our business has been about as active as it usually is on deadline day.
Was gonna say what a fckn start but we obviously haven't yet.
Signed....Worried from S2

Is our board the right board for a rebuild?..by that I mean backing the manager.
I think that this is the more likely answer. The current owner has already stated prior to relegation that he was not intending to invest and further monies in the playing squads of the united world teams for the next couple of seasons. I honestly think this is why Hecky was considered for the job.

The owner looks like he has spent as much as he can or willing to spend over the last couple of years, probably on purchasing shares/ownership in the other teams of the united world group.

McCabe wasn't the answer, but neither is the current owner, he simply does not have the personal wealth to own a Championship club and we have all seen how clubs with this self financing ideas have ended up in the past!

I'm not saying he's useless or finished by any means BUT let's be honest with ourselves this team need a complete rebuild. That today was pathetic against 11 defenders, they'd make anybody look decent which is what happened let's not beat around the Bush we are poor beyond belief I just don't see anything from that squad we've seen it for 15 month on the box now were seeing it up close. My question is IS slav the man for a rebuilding job because he isn't gonna get a tune out of these anytime soon. Sharp up top with jebbo let Sharp walk him thro the game, it really hurt me to see Sharp when they scored the 2nd a fuckin legend at the lane.. bit of track there sorry but can slav rebuild?? For me NO
The answer is no. Because we’re in mid-70s territory again. Close to Europe, disaster relegation and no plan B and no disposal of the shell shocked troops. They can’t fight for us as a unit anymore. So dispose of the lot and start again, quickly. That’s not going to happen until we’re relegated and the all apply their “we’re better than this” get out clauses, including Slav’s. So we start with a new squad in League 1 with Herr Blessin at the helm.

The issue isn’t the manager per se, it’s the fact that these players are in shell-shock still and need psychologists more than coaches.

We’re as good as down.

Senior management’s fault for not sizing the dilemma and impact on the squad adequately.

The answer is no. Because we’re in mid-70s territory again. Close to Europe, disaster relegation and no plan B and no disposal of the shell shocked troops. They can’t fight for us as a unit anymore. So dispose of the lot and start again, quickly. That’s not going to happen until we’re relegated and the all apply their “we’re better than this” get out clauses, including Slav’s. So we start with a new squad in League 1 with Herr Blessin at the helm.
Apart from the lg1 bit I'm with you

He's the man.
If he doesn’t come in with a machete I’ll be worried.

Think he’s used these first games to assess squad due to lack of pre season. Now he’s seen how bad and unbalanced the squad is then the axe must fall on Burke, Brewster, Fleck, Verrips et al whoever he sees fit.

Can we afford to take a loss on Brewster? Think the question is can we not afford to take a loss on Brewster.

BTW think you need to change your handle to Brewster list Millions ;)

No, he can send a glass eye to sleep. Boring monotone manager, how does that motivate the team and don't even get me started on his team selections and tactics. A poor, very expensive manager. I guarantee he will not be here at the end of the season.
That last day Fulham fixture is already looking painfully ironic. It’s got another Walsall written all over it!

That last day Fulham fixture is already looking painfully ironic. It’s got another Walsall written all over it!

When the fixtures came out, I realised the Fulham game was:

a) My Birthday
b) My niece's wedding I have to go to in South Wales

I thought I am going to miss a promotion decider or tell my niece I am ill (lie).

Not sure I need to worry anymore and will be with my wife's family in South Wales.

If he doesn’t come in with a machete I’ll be worried.

Think he’s used these first games to assess squad due to lack of pre season. Now he’s seen how bad and unbalanced the squad is then the axe must fall on Burke, Brewster, Fleck, Verrips et al whoever he sees fit.

Can we afford to take a loss on Brewster? Think the question is can we not afford to take a loss on Brewster.

BTW think you need to change your handle to Brewster list Millions ;)
I want Brewster to do well more than most I think I'll change to anyone want Brewster 500k 😂😂

When the fixtures came out, I realised the Fulham game was:

a) My Birthday
b) My niece's wedding I have to go to in South Wales

I thought I am going to miss a promotion decider or tell my niece I am ill (lie).

Not sure I need to worry anymore and will be with my wife's family in South Wales.
My birthday falls on Harry Bassetts 4th September that's my claim to fame.

Doooooom and glooooom what's happened to the give it 10 matches rule.
I doubt he'll walk off into the sunset, his future reputation will walk with him.
Let's give the bloke a chance, yes he paces up and down the tech area in his best Sunday shoes, scowling and muttering to him self, sooner put up with that than the Muppet on a string opposing him yesterday.
I worry though about the lack of communication in the tech area with his coaching staff, whoever they are? Never in all my years at the Lane have I not known or recognised the backroom staff.
But if that's Slavs way I will accept it.
Strange times, we need to keep the faith as difficult as it is, don't abandon ship just yet.

Wonder how he managed it at Fulham and Watford 🤔

Who was responsible for arranging our pre season matches?
I'm sure I heard that SJ was happy for PH to arrange the fixtures and training schedule? Who ever it was needs an arse kicking anyhow!

I honestly think that SJ is shocked at how technically poor our players are. And this season will be one of a total rebuild rather than promotion.

I think that we should take offers for any of our players. Brewster, MCB, Berge. Any of them tbh.

If I was P.A I would

1 - what is required in the short term to arrest the slide? At present we could be looking at another relegation battle. Prioritise getting in some creative midfielders and offload any players who we get offers for or who don't want to be here. Any player that hands in a transfer request should be immediately looked to be sold.

2 sack Paul Mitchell and his entire scouting team. They are clearly not fit for a team who are looking at players in the lower PL/upper EFL range. And their knowledge of players outside the UK is garbage. He unearthed some good players when we were in L1 and our first championship season but can we honestly say that since then we have signed ONE player that has been a success? Name me one player who has come in and added value to the team since then?

Slavs a fucking good manager. Hes had 4 games but i saw signs yesterday (only saw the first half) that we are improving.

rebuilding takes time - there is a strong possibility that we will have more shit results and may miss out on promo this season for longer term success. Slav is a footballing purest, he will want slick passing and attacking tempo. We can’t expect this over night considering the last 18 months of guff. I cant wait for a sheff utd thats playing sexy possession based attacking footy!

If we get rid of him then what, back to Heckingbottom?

We have to persist. He may need two windows. We may finish bottom 10 this season but we need to give him time to overhaul this awful squad that is stuck in a losing mentality.

I am more concerned he won't get the players and will just bugger off.

If we don't get the players then results won't improve, fans will get impatient and the board will sack him.

One way or another unless something dramatic happens in the next 10 days (5 or 6 quality players) I actually don;t see him here by the end of the season.

I don;t want that bu the way but can see it happening.

I will be more surprised if Heckingbottom is not our manager at the end of the season, than not.
If the board has no intentions of bringing any players in it will make no difference how many windows he has. IF they go against their word and welch on their promises to him word will soon get around the football world what future managers will have to put up with if managers out there listen to him and Wilder .We would have a hard job finding any one worth their salt who would want the job.

Back
Top Bottom