Injuries, suspensions & John Egan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwitchBLADE Smiles

Reaction score
John Egan has played all 39 league games for Sheffield United so far this season. I was thinking the other day, considering the absurd numbers of injuries that we have had since August 2021, how many players has he actually played with this season? My count (correct me if I'm wrong)

GK

Ramsdale
Verrips
Foderingham
Olsen

LB / LWB

Osborn
RND
Stevens

CB(s)

Robinson
Basham
Davies
Goode
Gordon

RB / RWB

Baldock
Bogle
Seriki

Midfield

Norwood
Berge
Fleck
MGW
Ndiaye
Hourihane
Freeman
Guedioura

Forward

McGoldrick
Mousset
Burke
Brewster
Sharp
McBurnie
Jebbison
Osula

That's 31 different players that Egan has played with, in the league (so far) this season. That's 3 completely new teams... if you only include the 'keepers and defenders, he's played with 15 different players. An entire squad, just in defence. I've seen people blame all sorts of things on our current situation, but show me a team that's had a worse injury record this season. The fact that we're still in with a shout of the play offs with 7 games left is a fucking miracle.

UTB

31 different players is incredible enough, but when you consider the number of different positions some of them have played the number of variations will be nearer 50.

We've had 26 different back lines this season (keeper + defenders) and Egan has been part of 22 of them.

No combination of keeper + defenders has played together more than 4 times all season.

John Egan has played all 39 league games for Sheffield United so far this season. I was thinking the other day, considering the absurd numbers of injuries that we have had since August 2021, how many players has he actually played with this season? My count (correct me if I'm wrong)

GK

Ramsdale
Verrips
Foderingham
Olsen

LB / LWB

Osborn
RND
Stevens

CB(s)

Robinson
Basham
Davies
Goode
Gordon

RB / RWB

Baldock
Bogle
Seriki

Midfield

Norwood
Berge
Fleck
MGW
Ndiaye
Hourihane
Freeman
Guedioura

Forward

McGoldrick
Mousset
Burke
Brewster
Sharp
McBurnie
Jebbison
Osula

That's 31 different players that Egan has played with, in the league (so far) this season. That's 3 completely new teams... if you only include the 'keepers and defenders, he's played with 15 different players. An entire squad, just in defence. I've seen people blame all sorts of things on our current situation, but show me a team that's had a worse injury record this season. The fact that we're still in with a shout of the play offs with 7 games left is a fucking miracle.

UTB
That's just insane, have to wonder about the whole training regime and how much that has contributed to all the injuries. It obviously begs the question where would we be if even half them injuries hadn't happened. Btw maybe the Blade's need some more Corkmen on the team 🙂

The fact that we're still in with a shout of the play offs with 7 games left is a fucking miracle.

UTB

Add to that the ‘start’ we had under Slav and it is indeed

Consensus generally is you rotate up field but the back 5/6 needs to be stable for the positioning, off side line etc

CW left us with an expensive yet relatively poor squad. 6 strikers yet limited to no cover at the back

Davies has come in but not shone, Robinson has to be most improved player of the season, Bash was frozen out, then back to his best and now injured

We should get into the play offs, then it’s the raffle of whether is the Boro at home or Stoke away team that turns up

Biggest worry for me is not this, it’s what the fuck we do if we do go up

Given this season, and that of our relegation season, apart from Egan, Berge, Bogle and maybe Ndaiye - we don’t have a 1st team let alone a squad

32 players*

A new centre half enters the arena in Uremovic. I wonder what the record is?

32 players*

It can't be far off, if am I right in thinking there hasn't ever been any more than 24 clubs in a division? If so 46 games plus potentially 3 play offs if we went all the way now that would be 32 players from 49 games and that's presuming we don't bring in anyone else from the U23s etc.

32 players*

I had a quick look at some other seasons where we used a lot of players, and the most I could find was Steve Simonsen, who played with 37 other players in 2010-11. We used 40 players, and the only ones he did not play in the same game as were George Long and Terry Kennedy, who played in the last match, the only one Simonsen missed. He also played in the same game as Richard Wright (twice) but of course they didn't share pitch time as Simonsen came on for Wright in both games.

There may be a higher figure than that for someone in another year, but it requires a lot of checking. We used even more players - 41 - in the league in 1997-8. Nicky Marker was the top appearance maker that year with 42, and he might run Simonsen close. Neil Collins played 44 games when we used 39 players in 2013-14.

Last edited:
I had a quick look at some other seasons where we used a lot of players, and the most I could find was Steve Simonsen, who played with 37 other players in 2010-11. We used 40 players, and the only ones he did not play in the same game as were George Long and Terry Kennedy, who played in the last match, the only one Simonsen missed. He also played in the same game as Richard Wright (twice) but of course they didn't share pitch time as Simonsen came on for Wright in both games.

There may be a higher figure than that for someone in another year, but it requires a lot of checking. We used even more players - 41 - in the league in 1997-8. Nicky Marker was the top appearance maker that year with 42, and he might run Simonsen close. Neil Collins played 44 games when we used 39 players in 2013-14.

Was 2010-11 the season Blackwell brought loads of loans in? Seemed to be hundreds of ordinary Joe's playing that season.

Was 2010-11 the season Blackwell brought loads of loans in? Seemed to be hundreds of ordinary Joe's playing that season.
Yep. The Lowrys and Mattocks of this world. We also blooded a lot of young players after the situation became hopeless.

Biggest worry for me is not this, it’s what the fuck we do if we do go up
Take the money and invest in correcting Chris Wilder's errors. Don't focus on the league or staying in the EPL, just focus on a long-term strategy of going back up the season after with the new team we've hopefully built.

If we were to make the playoffs, who of the current absentees would have a chance of being back?

Only Bash. Brewster, McGoldrick and Bogle were all seen as long term - not sure any are even back running or doing any 'aerobic' work (copyright Hecky)
Bogle still had a supportive boot on last night so he's a way off. Not sure if Brewster has a boot on as well.

Basham can't be far off surely, he's a machine.

Bogle still had a supportive boot on last night so he's a way off. Not sure if Brewster has a boot on as well.

Basham can't be far off surely, he's a machine.
IMO, it's a good thing Bash is the most likely to be back.

I'd sooner have him than any of Brewster/Didzy/Bogle. They are all great players, but our defence will be key to getting through the rest of the away games (incl PO's if we get there).

I’ve worked this out now.

The most players we have ever used in a season in the league is 41 in 1997-8.

2 players - David Holdsworth and Vas Borbokis - played with all of the other 40.

Nicky Marker was a near miss. He played with 39, and played in the same game as the 40th, Andy Walker, but he had already been subbed when Walker came on for his only appearance that season.

Only Bash. Brewster, McGoldrick and Bogle were all seen as long term - not sure any are even back running or doing any 'aerobic' work (copyright Hecky)

Bogle has been a huge loss. He'd have had a field day with the positions and possession that Baldock was offered last night. Such a shame that he & Brewster both got injured as they were peaking.

Would have been great to have McGoldrick too, but we've had a lot of luck with him given his track record before he joined.

Bogle has been a huge loss. He'd have had a field day with the positions and possession that Baldock was offered last night. Such a shame that he & Brewster both got injured as they were peaking.

Would have been great to have McGoldrick too, but we've had a lot of luck with him given his track record before he joined.
Having McGoldrick play 45 out of 46 league games when we were promoted, with him being an unused sub in the other game, was miraculous.

31 different players is incredible enough, but when you consider the number of different positions some of them have played the number of variations will be nearer 50.

We've had 26 different back lines this season (keeper + defenders) and Egan has been part of 22 of them.

No combination of keeper + defenders has played together more than 4 times all season.
This video tells you everything why John Egan is the way he is
Go up anywhere from West Cork, Kerry, Clare and even into Galway and when you tell them where you're from the first thing they mention is John Egan, his exploits (and ROI) with us almost puts him into same legend status as his father.

Having McGoldrick play 45 out of 46 league games when we were promoted, with him being an unused sub in the other game, was miraculous.

Exactly that. We've got incredible mileage out of the bloke and his output has been incredible.
What a signing he was, loved watching him play.

IMO, it's a good thing Bash is the most likely to be back.

I'd sooner have him than any of Brewster/Didzy/Bogle. They are all great players, but our defence will be key to getting through the rest of the away games (incl PO's if we get there).
Love Bash, but I think I'd rather have Bogle.

We're still keeping clean sheets in his absence but he was a constant threat down the right and whilst I'm grateful having Baldock to call on once more, he isn't at the same level as Bogle going forwards.

Back
Top Bottom