Get it right this time

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pittlad

Reaction score
The Owner (Prince Abdul) and the Board must get it right this time, in 2006/7 Neil Warnock took us up to the EPL and down again after one season, in 2007 the line up of "Journeymen" managers started, Kevin McCabe went through the cheapest bunch he could. We had (if you count the 2 short spells of Chris Morgan) 11 Managers in 9 years before Chris Wilder. Chris Wilder along with the "Prince" & McCabe engineered 3 promotions and a really embarrassing relegation in 5 years. Both Neil Warnock and Chris Wilder are very good Championship/League 1. Managers, but as proved they were not up to the task in the EPL, Warnock relied on Quantity and not Quality, Wilder relied on a System and not Quality (systems can, and are found out, and can be stopped at the top level) quality players find ways of beating systems, through vision, decision making and technical abilities and find ways of competing. There is a theme developing here and it is a lack of QUALITY. Both Warnock and Wilder did not address this problem, money was made available to both Managers, and money was wasted by both, because of their lack of experience in the EPL and their obstinate ego's getting in the way !! they failed, Wilder did not bring in any experienced EPL players (late 20's early 30's) only Jagielka, who did not play that much, but had a great game against Man Utd, but at 38 yrs old is not one for the future !! and the players that CW brought in should not have been players for the future they were needed for the here and now. So Prince Abdullah, pay out the money for an experienced EPL Manager (experienced) means more than 2 games or 2 years, with at least successful mid table EPL experience. Some of the names that are being mentioned at the moment, would be a slap in the face of all Blades fans, and if you can't do it Prince, call up a few of your more wealthy cousins and see if they want to invest in S.U.F.C. and get the job done, the city of Sheffield needs to be a Premier League City not an also ran.

the question is... what does ‘right’ look like?
Because every manager weve been realistically linked with so far appears to be looking like more of a long term project rather than getting promotion straight away... feel like this is why the next guy is doomed

Some reports are suggesting Wilder wanted Watkins, Wilson and Barley. I reckon Robinson and Cash were very much wanted n all. But the board was unwilling to break their wage structure, as Wilder wanted to take us to the next level. If this is the case then Wilder can't be accused of not addressing our lack of quality because imo we'd be in a much better position with had we brought in at least 3 out of 5 of those players.

Some reports are suggesting Wilder wanted Watkins, Wilson and Barley. I reckon Robinson and Cash were very much wanted n all. But the board was unwilling to break their wage structure, as Wilder wanted to take us to the next level. If this is the case then Wilder can't be accused of not addressing our lack of quality because imo we'd be in a much better position with had we brought in at least 3 out of 5 of those players.
Some reports, which reports? What if it's not the case? Didn’t Wilder say that he wouldn't break the bank and waste the club's money, or words to that effect?

‘Sheffield needs to be a Premier League City not an also ran.’

Don’t necessarily agree with this. In many ways Sheffield has no place in this League - because the Premier League is a sham.
Overpriced, underperforming, primadonnas who think they’re God’s gift.
Players who scream when they fall over.
Pundits who tell you that just because the tackler played the ball first doesn’t mean it’s not a foul (that really makes my piss boil).
A two tier system of refereeing where decisions are made as a result of either league position or as a failsafe ‘Big’ clubs v ‘Little clubs.
Over inflated ticket prices - if you can get one because most have been sold to plastics.
Week in and week out playing London clubs with no soul. Teams selling you shit players for ridiculous sums of money. You could go on until the cows come home of reasons not to enjoy it.
Let’s celebrate our upcoming season.
I’d rather be playing the Pigs (if they stay up - double edged sword there - they go down, that’s funny but then we don’t get to play and beat them - which is always even funnier), or Barnsley or Rotherham, Hull, Donny, Derby, the Scabs et al. Thes are the games that I love most, where the atmosphere is at it’s most hostile, these are the days I remember. So you can shove your big time Charlie’s and your biased Sky/MOTD pundits.
Best football I’ve enjoyed is lower league and amateur football, proper football played not for greed, but for the love of the game.
I’d genuinely rather watch that football than the Premier League bile that gets served up every Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday or any other day that Sky dictates in order to maximise THEIR income stream.
The Premier League is not the Promised Land - so stop the wailing and the gnashing of teeth - let’s look forward to next season when we’re back to going to a game where the result is not a foregone conclusion and bottom can beat top. Sheffield is a proper City and we should be very proud of that.
UTB

Don’t necessarily agree with this. In many ways Sheffield has no place in this League - because the Premier League is a sham.
Pundits who tell you that just because the tackler played the ball first doesn’t mean it’s not a foul (that really makes my piss boil).
A two tier system of refereeing where decisions are made as a result of either league position or as a failsafe ‘Big’ clubs v ‘Little clubs.
Over inflated ticket prices - if you can get one because most have been sold to plastics.
Week in and week out playing London clubs with no soul. Teams selling you shit players for ridiculous sums of money. You could go on until the cows come home of reasons not to enjoy it.
I’d rather be playing the Pigs (if they stay up - double edged sword there - they go down, that’s funny but then we don’t get to play and beat them - which is always even funnier), or Barnsley or Rotherham, Hull, Donny, Derby, the Scabs et al. Thes are the games that I love most, where the atmosphere is at it’s most hostile, these are the days I remember. So you can shove your big time Charlie’s and your biased Sky/MOTD pundits.
Best football I’ve enjoyed is lower league and amateur football, proper football played not for greed, but for the love of the game.
I’d genuinely rather watch that football than the Premier League bile that gets served up every Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday or any other day that Sky dictates in order to maximise THEIR income stream.
The Premier League is not the Promised Land - so stop the wailing and the gnashing of teeth - let’s look forward to next season when we’re back to going to a game where the result is not a foregone conclusion and bottom can beat top. Sheffield is a proper City and we should be very proud of that.
UTB
So our goal should be to go out and try and win just enough games so we do well but miss out on promotion? Ok thennnn... glad you're not the owner!

UTB

Madness. Did you think this when we were in the running for Europe last year?

UTB

I mostly agree with your post and see where you are coming from, but imo we should always aspire to play at the very top level of football which is the PL.

The money there provided by the greedy SKY TV does allow clubs to be financial viable rather than losing money season after season despite the ridiculous wages that are paid out. We've also brought in enough money to buy back as a club the property assets that we had had to use previously to service ongoing debts acquired during our long spell in the football league/championship (well to service monies owed to McCabe).

Fact is for a club like ours we need the extra income to be able to afford the cost of real improvement such as training ground improvements, stadium improvements, investment in academy. Being out of the PL makes this so much harder to do.

So from a footballing experience perspective I'm happy to be out of the PL, but from a wanting our club to grow perspective I very much want us to be in the PL. We will probably always be in that group of clubs who are fighting against relegation whenever we are in the PL and I can accept that, but following last season I did think that we would have enough about us to have a few seasons up there drinking from the devil's tit. Not to be, but I want us to get back there ASAP.

Also, if we get back there it means we have won a lot of games again in the championship and Utd winning makes us all very happy (this season United having a shot on target is is the starting point for putting me in a good mood - it's been that bad).

UTB
Whilst I am with you on many of your points, I disagree that the most enjoyable football has been outside of the Premiership.
It is of course entirely subjective, but whilst I enjoyed Deane and Agana scoring frequently I enjoyed most of last season in the Premiership and especially in some of the games the way in which we played.
I hope to enjoy the next few seasons in the Championship before we have another go at whatever the top league will look like in years to come.

I stopped reading at it was proven Chris Wilder wasn’t up to the task. He got us to our highest ever place in the PL in his first season and relegated in his second season. So you have chosen to look on this season to say he’s not up to it. Let me tell you something Chris Wilder will be back in the PL before Sheffield United.

UTB
Aim low, that's the spirit. It's always the Sheffield way.

The Owner (Prince Abdul) and the Board must get it right this time, in 2006/7 Neil Warnock took us up to the EPL and down again after one season, in 2007 the line up of "Journeymen" managers started, Kevin McCabe went through the cheapest bunch he could. We had (if you count the 2 short spells of Chris Morgan) 11 Managers in 9 years before Chris Wilder. Chris Wilder along with the "Prince" & McCabe engineered 3 promotions and a really embarrassing relegation in 5 years. Both Neil Warnock and Chris Wilder are very good Championship/League 1. Managers, but as proved they were not up to the task in the EPL, Warnock relied on Quantity and not Quality, Wilder relied on a System and not Quality (systems can, and are found out, and can be stopped at the top level) quality players find ways of beating systems, through vision, decision making and technical abilities and find ways of competing. There is a theme developing here and it is a lack of QUALITY. Both Warnock and Wilder did not address this problem, money was made available to both Managers, and money was wasted by both, because of their lack of experience in the EPL and their obstinate ego's getting in the way !! they failed, Wilder did not bring in any experienced EPL players (late 20's early 30's) only Jagielka, who did not play that much, but had a great game against Man Utd, but at 38 yrs old is not one for the future !! and the players that CW brought in should not have been players for the future they were needed for the here and now. So Prince Abdullah, pay out the money for an experienced EPL Manager (experienced) means more than 2 games or 2 years, with at least successful mid table EPL experience. Some of the names that are being mentioned at the moment, would be a slap in the face of all Blades fans, and if you can't do it Prince, call up a few of your more wealthy cousins and see if they want to invest in S.U.F.C. and get the job done, the city of Sheffield needs to be a Premier League City not an also ran.

As others have said your incredibly hard on Wilder, he proved he is more than up to the task in the first season. Injuries and lack of funds to spend on wages have cost us our premiership status not Wilder.

Which good experienced Prem players in their late twenties would have come to us for 40K per week?

The manager was not the problem but it bloody well is now.

Even if we push the boat out and get a great manager next I think the toxicity of the fan base and general feeling amongst the squad will kill us.

I think whoever we get in is cursed, we need to just sacrifice the next manager to get the bad feeling out of the club, anyone for Megson? that would atleast unite the fanbase again albeit against the club and manager but would get all our anger out and whoever replaces him would be a huge improvement.

As others have said your incredibly hard on Wilder, he proved he is more than up to the task in the first season. Injuries and lack of funds to spend on wages have cost us our premiership status not Wilder.

Which good experienced Prem players in their late twenties would have come to us for 40K per week?

The manager was not the problem but it bloody well is now.

Even if we push the boat out and get a great manager next I think the toxicity of the fan base and general feeling amongst the squad will kill us.

I think whoever we get in is cursed, we need to just sacrifice the next manager to get the bad feeling out of the club, anyone for Megson? that would atleast unite the fanbase again albeit against the club and manager but would get all our anger out and whoever replaces him would be a huge improvement.
The Star reveals: Blades fans call for human sacrifice. Shock! Horror! "Whatever next," says Chris Wobble.

So our goal should be to go out and try and win just enough games so we do well but miss out on promotion? Ok thennnn... glad you're not the owner!
I've said before on here, the best division is the Championship. The problem with it is if you do really well in it you have to leave it. As someone who always wants us to win every game we play, it's the paradox I have to accept, but precisely because I want us to win every game we play, the Premier League is less enjoyable (as well as for many other reasons). Even last season, where we had so many fantastic games, we didn't beat many of the top teams.

Unfortunately there seems to be a slight misunderstanding that I disliked Wilder, I did say that CW is a very good Championship/Lg.1 Manager, but I will still say that CW is not ready to be an EPL manager and it will be a long time before we see him again in the EPL, all the reports we see of EPL teams wanting him are at this time just reports, just like the reports of all the players were going to buy that never happened !! I agree that Bryan Robson didn't come cheap, but he should have !!, a great player but a poor Manager, got the job on his name and not his pedigree, this has certainly been proved by the massive amount of offers he received from big clubs after he left United LOL. We could probably been able to afford EPL players in their late 20's or early 30's if money hadn't been wasted (23mil on a 20 year old striker that's never scored or played a full game in the EPL and has not scored yet, wasted money on 2 full backs from Derby 11mil. that for the most part were second string at Derby and same at the Lane, 18 mil on a goalkeeper, we could have got a second string goalkeeper from EPL club for less. Just a thought !! bring in Rapha Benitez he's done it in both EPL and Championship, one can only wish LOL.

1. Wilder was backed with money
2. He wasn't backed with wages
3. I can see both sides of the argument

However I think the following lead to Wilder leaving:

1. Sticking rigidly to a formation and tactics that were getting us nowhere
2. Publicly calling out the owner
3. His complete character transformation

Point 3 - if I was the owner this would have worried me most - starting early in the season we began to be repeatedly told that we dint have a chance of going toe to toe with the night Fulham/West Brom etc.

Back
Top Bottom