Get A Grip!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MunXy

Reaction score
Ok Lets get this shit out and get over it.
Last year we had a team so low they would have had to stand on tip toe to reach snakes balls, fans so dejected even wendy fans could take the piss, no manager after 4 in one season, then along comes Kevin McCabe and appoints, well a less than popular choice for manager, the fans i would say on the whole didnt want Danny Wilson, not maybe because of his previous allegences to another club but because of his record as manager, at this point most blades, on here included were saying "transistion, mid table(if we are lucky), player exodus, maybe even bankrupt or folded.
Less than a year on, we are playing the best football many have seen in a generation, scored goals for fun, had plaudits from all over the country, had many fans feeling better about OUR club than they have for decades
Now we come to the crux of this post, am i the only one sick of the doom mongers and nay sayers that call themselves fans, atm it looks like yet another playoff run that up till recently was looking good for auto promotion, but considering most blades were expecting nothing to cheer about this season, and it is still a transition team, rather than as some have said we have no chance, i give up etc is it not possible that we may just win vs exeter and wendy, being the team under pressure now could just drop a coupla points, i mean christ for the past month or so, a lot of blades "fans" have been telling all that will listen we will collapse, we will choke, we are under pressure but now the pressures off us and on wendy, oddly i think blades fans seem to believe wendy will not choke and fall at the final hurdle even tho these same "fans" were so certain we would.
after the march we had losing key players and the entire starting back four, then in April with just 3 games to go losing a 35 goal striker, is it just me believes we have done bloody great this season and all credit goes to K McCabe, D. Wilson and mostly the same players that this time last season were the worst to wear the Blades shirt ever.
Get over yourselves and either support the team to the LAST be it playoffs/auto promotion or STFU!!
If You havn't got anything constructive to say, don't say anything because all you are doing is undermining YOUR team so you may as well support wendy and finally help out the Blades.

UTB #keepthefaith<lets get this trending all you tweeps

WE CAN STILL GET PROMOTION!!!!

MunXy

Wondered how long it would be before the same owd go support Wendy or STFU would be posted............maybe it is the likes of YOU who are the problem with United, never see anything wrong always prepared to accept second best.

3rd best actually atm metal :)
and Just pointing out that perhaps the "we are crap, we never win owt, wendy are going up" boys like yourself mate should hold off on the post mortem until we are actually dead.im gonna take a little time and trawl thru the "next season prediction" thread and see who replies here and how they saw this season paning out, i'd like to bet you were one of the "relegated and the lane knocked down to build a new morrisons" brigade.
just because i dont slate the team when it needs supprt does not mean i only accept second best unlike some that seem to hope for second best so they can spew out "i told you we wouldn't win (delete as appropreate promotion/play off/game/anything)

MunXy

His post does not read to me like someone who is accepting second best. His closing line says it all and is also true - we can still get promotion. The season isn't over. Wednesday might slip up next week. Unlikely, but still possible. And if we end up in the play offs, you never know, we might win them.

Hehehe you know what's coming after over 50 years of it, nothing changes same owd United. Just takes a lot of years to sink in for some folk

Anybody able to see problems, anybody getting pissed off at our uncanny knack of fucking up any good work we've put in and anybody that cares enough to become emotionally troubled by all of this does NOT need or deserve to be called "so called fans" and they CERTAINLY don't need the likes of you telling them to go support Sheffield Wednesday. You need to get the fuck over yourself.

Hehehe you know what's coming after over 50 years of it, nothing changes same owd United. Just takes a lot of years to sink in for some folk

I am well aware of our catalogue of failures, but we have also had some successes which you seem to ignore.

We have achieved last gasp promotions. 1971 was not secured until the final day. Neither was 1990. And 1984 required us to win our last match in commbination with Hull failing to win that day and then failing to get a 3 goal winning margin 3 days later. In 1989 we did not choke either. As I recall we went to top of the table Wolves in the penultimate game and got a very good draw. In our fourth division season of 1981-2 we were not certain of promotion until very late in the season and were pressured for a long time by the chasing sides, but still held our nerve and closed out the season.

These are just examples off the top of my head. There may be others.

3rd best actually atm metal :)
and Just pointing out that perhaps the "we are crap, we never win owt, wendy are going up" boys like yourself mate should hold off on the post mortem until we are actually dead.im gonna take a little time and trawl thru the "next season prediction" thread and see who replies here and how they saw this season paning out, i'd like to bet you were one of the "relegated and the lane knocked down to build a new morrisons" brigade.
just because i dont slate the team when it needs supprt does not mean i only accept second best unlike some that seem to hope for second best so they can spew out "i told you we wouldn't win (delete as appropreate promotion/play off/game/anything)

MunXy

You will surely agree, however that for a team of two, from the sixth biggest city in the UK, with a ground that holds 30k+ and a fanbase well into 250k across the planet, our consistent trademark of flattering to deceive is becoming a bit tiresome, now. We have a legacy - that involves some pretty great times and some pretty lean ones too. In the past twenty years we have seen too many semi-finals, play-off bottlings, seventh place/missed outs, mid-table deflations and countless other disappointments, and I'll leave out the shit signings and mysterious shipping-out of players for peanuts. Ribiero ring a bell? Deane? JAF?

There is something wrong with our club. I have no idea what it is, because I have walked down that tunnel and onto that sacred pitch and my heart was racing. I watch the players come out into the stadium and still feel that frission of excitement that I used to feel back in the day when 'Ilkley Moor Ba'htat' rang out across the pitch. Something doesn't match - the players don't seem to get it. I looked yesterday at the fans, young and old yelling and shouting their players on and wondered if Wigan, Barnsley, Blackpool, Bristol City, Swansea wouldn't mind some of that raw devotion. The I see shit like Williamson, a player deservedly revered as a decent wing attacker fuck up so badly, and I see Maguire playing schools football, I see Porter putting in a shift unworthy of Torquay United and I think 'Christ, you guys just don't fucking know what this is doing to our club, do you?' I think of Jagielka, his goal vs Leeds - he was ready to jump into the crowd, leave the ground and go on the piss with the fans. I think about Mark Todd, away against Pompey at 3-2 down running down the pitch to urge the meagre travelling support to outsing the Pompey fans. I think about Tony Currie blowing kisses to his Kop. These were United players. Yesterday I couldn't think of one of them that looked like they wanted it for the thirty odd thousand there. With that lack of drive (and in many ways, it comes from the manager downwards) you'll understand why we feel like we are sunk already. I can't see us turning in a performance against any of the clubs around us in the playoffs, nothing has or will convince me otherwise. And if we do make it through to Wembley, prepare for us to bottle it again at a big, season defining match.

pommpey

What if we win at Wembley. Will that convince you?!

What if we win at Wembley. Will that convince you?!

Of course it will. That goes without saying. But given the team is now underperforming in a massive manner and the club itself has a track record of fucking up on the big occasion, would you go and put a tenner on them winning at Wembley?

pommpey

Anybody able to see problems, anybody getting pissed off at our uncanny knack of fucking up any good work we've put in and anybody that cares enough to become emotionally troubled by all of this does NOT need or deserve to be called "so called fans" and they CERTAINLY don't need the likes of you telling them to go support Sheffield Wednesday. You need to get the fuck over yourself.
Tarq you come across as a fairly intelligent guy yet completely missed the point of the "go support wednesday" it was meant in the context of anything that disparages the Blades can only be helpful to the other teams, wendy being the prime example, thus by those supporters that say how crap we are week in week out and i get the feeling its the same ones all the time, IF they were to support a different team, wednesday for eg, then they might disparage them and in so doing HELP United.
Emotionally troubled by what exactly, the fact we are doing FAR better than almost all expected or by the fact those devout blades fans that just dont seem to be able to wait to tell the rest how fucking crap THEIR own team is.
Personally im emotionally troubled by the latter more than the former, maybe you should look closley at the "likes of me" before you make a statement about how troubled people are, the only trouble i see is the fact that an awful lot of blades have no belief or confidence in the blades chances of any kind of success.

MunXy

I may have mis read this but the feeling I have is that many of the 'anti-Wilson' brigade have been waiting for something negative to happen to justify themselves.

We have not been piss poor lately...we have had two poor 45 minutes of football that have cost us dearly. I don't agree that the players don't care...i see passion every game from them which a complete contrast to the majority of last season. All because they have played poorly doesn't mean they lack drive...maybe it is because we are not good enough which most of them proved last season.

As stated above,we have had plenty of games in my lifetime where we have not 'choked' but fans seem to forget Leicester,Wolves,Cardiff,Peterborough,Southend and so on.

... the only trouble i see is the fact that an awful lot of blades have no belief or confidence in the blades chances of any kind of success.

Why's that then? Do you reckon that, like me, for a bloke from a big city with a big football team, I would possibly at least by now expect at least one piece of silverware to be held aloft during my time as a supporter?

Discounting the 'Champions of the League above non-League' trophy back in 1980-whatever.

pommpey

I may have mis read this but the feeling I have is that many of the 'anti-Wilson' brigade have been waiting for something negative to happen to justify themselves.

We have not been piss poor lately...we have had two poor 45 minutes of football that have cost us dearly. I don't agree that the players don't care...i see passion every game from them which a complete contrast to the majority of last season. All because they have played poorly doesn't mean they lack drive...maybe it is because we are not good enough which most of them proved last season.

As stated above,we have had plenty of games in my lifetime where we have not 'choked' but fans seem to forget Leicester,Wolves,Cardiff,Peterborough,Southend and so on.

And to be honest, given the circumstances it was hardly surprising that we didn't perform at MK Dons. To my mind, that was something different to choking.

Not really bartman. If you remember, we were all equally scathing regarding the past few managers. All seemed to lack tactical nous, an inability to attract decent, consistent players (and retain them) and drive our team up the tables. This isn't just about DW. And the results bear us out, in fact. Do you think the Man U massive would be as forgiving with Ferguson?

We are not talking about United playing Reading, Bolton, Sunderland or Stoke here. We are talking about them playing Exeter fucking City, Milton Keynes pissing Dons, Walsall, Carlisle and Oldham. Teams a few seasons ago you'd be watching the results or reading in the paper and shaking your head as they scrap out a 0-1 defeat on a muddy pitch in front of 2000 fans. United have been piss-poor in places. We've dropped crucial points to these minnows ... and now we are paying for it. And worse still, to Sheffield fucking Wednesday. Remember them? They cacked on our fishcake at Bramall Lane when we failed to defend properly and beat us at their woeful shit tip ground.

Peterborough and Southend? Were they FA Cup semis? Leicester? Playoffs? Wolves ... oh, erm. Hang on. 0-3 at ooh ... Cardiff wasn't it?

pommpey

Peterborough and Southend? Were they FA Cup semis? Leicester? Playoffs? Wolves ... oh, erm. Hang on. 0-3 at ooh ... Cardiff wasn't it?

pommpey

Peterborough wasn't an FA Cup semi final, but at that time in the context of our season it was a very very important game. And we went there and won 4-0. You can only beat the teams that you have fixtures against. And if you are in the fourth division they will be fixtures against fourth division clubs. During that season promotion was in the balance for much of the season. We were pursued right up until the last couple of games but did not choke.

And there are numerous other examples of us not choking. The 5-1 hammering of Cardiff being just one of them.

Just because these examples occurred below the premier league, or weren't in a cup semi final does not diminish their importance. You can't get to the premier league if you don't win your vital games in the division in which you find yourself at any given time.

I may have mis read this but the feeling I have is that many of the 'anti-Wilson' brigade have been waiting for something negative to happen to justify themselves..

Yep, think you're right unfortunately. If we end up in the playoffs and lose, the anti-Wilson banner from last summer will probably rematerialise too...

Let's face it, due to Wednesday's form, most of the last 10 games have been pretty big.

Let's face it, due to Wednesday's form, most of the last 10 games have been pretty big.

True. And unfortunately I don't think many teams could have lived with the relentless form that they have shown. (Edit) We have done so for a whole string of games and would probably have continued to do so had we not lost the services of Evans.

Not really bartman. If you remember, we were all equally scathing regarding the past few managers. All seemed to lack tactical nous, an inability to attract decent, consistent players (and retain them) and drive our team up the tables. This isn't just about DW. And the results bear us out, in fact. Do you think the Man U massive would be as forgiving with Ferguson?

We are not talking about United playing Reading, Bolton, Sunderland or Stoke here. We are talking about them playing Exeter fucking City, Milton Keynes pissing Dons, Walsall, Carlisle and Oldham. Teams a few seasons ago you'd be watching the results or reading in the paper and shaking your head as they scrap out a 0-1 defeat on a muddy pitch in front of 2000 fans. United have been piss-poor in places. We've dropped crucial points to these minnows ... and now we are paying for it. And worse still, to Sheffield fucking Wednesday. Remember them? They cacked on our fishcake at Bramall Lane when we failed to defend properly and beat us at their woeful shit tip ground.

pommpey

Peterborough...4-0 away and at home,Southend,1-0 away,Leicester 5-2 away,Wolves away 2-2,Cardiff away 1-0,Cardiff home 5-1,Port Vale home 2-1,Hull home 3-2 are all games when we didn't 'bottle it' All big games in the league.FA Cup semi finals against teams in a higher division to us(hardly bottling it)

We are not a 'big' club(and never have been) and are a 3rd division club at the moment. We have no divine right to beat any team and they are not minnows...they are the same level as us. Most clubs have dropped needless points this season including the current top two.

My only critisism of DW is not finding a suitable replacement for Morgan and an experienced right back as I think Maguire's inexperience has shown recently and Lowton has been exposed as being poor defensively . The JTW should have have seen us sign an experienced leader(a Craig Short type player) at the back. IMO,this has led to only 2 clean sheets in 16 games.

True. And unfortunately I don't think many teams could have lived with the relentless form that they have shown. (Edit) We have done so for a whole string of games and would probably have continued to do so had we not lost the services of Evans.
Totally agree!
Any other season without Charlton and Wendy would have seen us promoted easily with the points we've got this season.
Onwards and upwards Blades!!:)

Just because these examples occurred below the premier league, or weren't in a cup semi final does not diminish their importance.
But it does show that the only important games we have won are pretty mediocre affairs and not of much consequence towards trophies or a sustained stay in the top flight, competing with the elite.

I'll bet that Luton, Oxford, West Ham, Swansea, Blackpool etc have not used excuses about losing important matches or semis when they faced potentially superior opposition

But it does show that the only important games we have won are pretty mediocre affairs and not of much consequence towards trophies or a sustained stay in the top flight, competing with the elite.

I'll bet that Luton, Oxford, West Ham, Swansea, Blackpool etc have not used excuses about losing important matches or semis when they faced potentially superior opposition

And they also probably do not try and belittle the achievements of sides that have won crucial games to get them promoted from leagues below the premier league.

Whatever level your find yourself at, a crucial game is a crucial game. Saturday did not feel any less nerve wracking or crucial to me than the Wigan match in 2007, or Walsall in 1981 etc.

If it wasn't so sad this thread would be laughable, whooopee doo we beat P'boro 0-4 on the way to the 4th div Championship yes 4th division the only bit of silverware we have ever won in my lifetime unless you count the County cup, hell we couldn't even win the Watney cup away at the giants Bristol Rovers. Fookin hell we have 2 teams representing the 4th largest city in Britain and neither have won owt in the last 80 odd years apart from the pigs Mickey Mouse cup at Wembley, we havn't even managed a cup final since the 1930's FFS Rotherham have a better record of cup final appearances in my lifetime than we do. And yet some wonder why us older Blades never expect us to win owt, fookin hell I've never seen em get to a final of a cup yet at least the pigs can boast a few finals even though they did lose. Two clubs with fan bases others can only dream about struggling to beat the likes of Exeter fookin City and the giants of world football Stevenage, no disrespect to either of them but come on if they pull 5000 fans they are doing well the Sheffield clubs take more away..................... which 2 of the 4 teams should be doing much much better ???

If it wasn't so sad this thread would be laughable, whooopee doo we beat P'boro 0-4 on the way to the 4th div Championship yes 4th division the only bit of silverware we have ever won in my lifetime unless you count the County cup, hell we couldn't even win the Watney cup away at the giants Bristol Rovers. Fookin hell we have 2 teams representing the 4th largest city in Britain and neither have won owt in the last 80 odd years apart from the pigs Mickey Mouse cup at Wembley, we havn't even managed a cup final since the 1930's FFS Rotherham have a better record of cup final appearances in my lifetime than we do. And yet some wonder why us older Blades never expect us to win owt, fookin hell I've never seen em get to a final of a cup yet at least the pigs can boast a few finals even though they did lose. Two clubs with fan bases others can only dream about struggling to beat the likes of Exeter fookin City and the giants of world football Stevenage, no disrespect to either of them but come on if they pull 5000 fans they are doing well the Sheffield clubs take more away..................... which 2 of the 4 teams should be doing much much better ???

I'm not really sure what point it is you are trying to make. And I really don't see why the thread is laughable.

We failed to win yesterday and our chances of automatic promotion are now less than rosey. But, as tends to happen at times like this we have a clutch of posters claiming we bottle every big match at every opportunity. That is factually well wide of the mark. We don't. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.

And Peterborough away in 1981 was a very big deal at that time. Promotion was far from secured and around that time they had been in the sort of form Wednesday are now in. Added to that their manager made some disparaging comments about us before the game. If supporters at that time had the same mentality as we seem to have now, we would have said it was the kind of game we were destined to bottle. But we didn't. We obliterated them. It might have been in the fourth division, but if that is where you are, that is the opposition you play against. And whilst I have always thought that our relegation to the fourth division was forever a stain in the club's history, that season turned out to be one of the most enjoyable, and the promotion (in the end done in style) still felt great.

I think a lot of blades just look and compare the two links below and think how did we f%ck this up??

http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10418~20120218,00.html
http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10418~20120428,00.html

Pigs appoint a manager who uses the same team plus 1 or 2 loanees and go unbeaten for 10 games +. I really can not see them losing saturday just like i wouldn't expect us to if we were in there position. The problem i have and i am not knocking him to much because he has done very well for us but mr wilson doesn't seem to be able to bring in great quality players on loan or permanent our fringe players are very poor and on 2 occasions now this season we have lost major player and bang we,ve shit it no back up and what we have is garbage. Pigs on the other hand lose a player and replace with quality (for this division) and make sure they have back up, up top. Now yesterday he really surprised me, he left cressy on the bench and played that donkey porter, i am sorry danny but chris porter isn't good enough for the 4th tier never mind promotion chasing 3rd tier. I know you can not help players like hoskins getting injured but he was hardly pulling many trees up anyway. So arguably our biggest game of the season and DW starts a lad who has never started a 1st team game in his life and a lad who couldn't hit a barn door, this reminds me of the day NW played Mark Rankine in the playoff final by the time the change was made we had left ourselves to much to do. Now on to the playoffs and as people rightly say when a team lose out on 2nd when they have held on to it for so long end up in the playoffs, you find it very difficult to pick them up for another onslaught. I can see us getting to the final but not having enough in the final ending up like the Burnley game 1-0 not looking like scoring or the wolves game 3-0 and never in the game.

Back
Top Bottom