CONFIRMED George Long sold to Hull City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I might be swimming against the tide here (and I have been very critical of George in the past), but I would like to keep the lad. He's just had a very successful season in the league below our own, done very well by all accounts, and is still young for a keeper with plenty of promise. Not his fault he got chucked into the mix before he was ready.

He could still come good, and is wager be the equal of, or even better than SM.

If CW sees him in training and doesn't want him then fair enough, but I can guarantee that he won't be he same player now as he was pre Wimbledon. He will have matured.

I might be swimming against the tide here (and I have been very critical of George in the past), but I would like to keep the lad. He's just had a very successful season in the league below our own, done very well by all accounts, and is still young for a keeper with plenty of promise. Not his fault he got chucked into the mix before he was ready.

He could still come good, and is wager be the equal of, or even better than SM.

If CW sees him in training and doesn't want him then fair enough, but I can guarantee that he won't be he same player now as he was pre Wimbledon. He will have matured.

There are currently at least three keepers at the club that CW clearly rates higher. He’s not a kid anymore. Best for all if he moves on.

I think there’s too much water under the bridge for George here given his past form for us. Some people would jump on the first mistake even if he came on and did well.

A move Make sense for all parties I feel.

Agreed Leeds however if true Ipswich and Hull must have seen something in him that they liked

Adkins is a long term admirer of Long
and rightly to , young lad who will play and get better, mercilessly slaughtered by some with agendas
no idea why

Adkins is a long term admirer of Long
and rightly to , young lad who will play and get better, mercilessly slaughtered by some with agendas
no idea why
What agendas ? Maybe some of think he is rubbish by actually seeing him being rubbish ,explain these 'agendas' to me.

What agendas ? Maybe some of think he is rubbish by actually seeing him being rubbish ,explain these 'agendas' to me.

I think your opinion on george is well known to the world, maybe just let it go. Come on bring it in :)

I think your opinion on george is well known to the world, maybe just let it go. Come on bring it in :)

But it’s relevant that Calamity George was rubbish. Game after game after game. Soft goals, butter fingers, fumbling simple catches, bizarre positioning, ‘saves’ that were in fact assists for oncoming strikers.

Oh, dem Bladey Blades...

Agree with most on here that he needs to move on for his own sake. Unfortunately he emerged at precisely the wrong time for a GK prospect and pretty much everything that could have gone against him did. Could he be Champ level? Not from what I've seen but wish him all the best - good to see another academy lad make a career from the game.

Ok but I have to respond to being called a horrible bastard and defend myself ,this 'young and inexperienced' keeper which is being referred to is actually 24 and made over 160 first team appearances ,and I have seen him many times to make my own judgement that hes rubbish. I still think his terrible performance against Crewe a few years ago was a huge turning point not only in that season but in how things panned out in the long run.

The holding to ransom of Utd after the Wilder appointment is another reason.

But he started off with a huge fund of goodwill, being young and local. He rather exhausted it by a succession of woeful performances worthy of Lee Baxter.
That's true punchy but having come through it he will be mentally tougher ,the rest will take care of itself if he is good enough..He's obviously impressed a number of managers and we will get a fee if he goes,that would be best for both parties

But he started off with a huge fund of goodwill, being young and local. He rather exhausted it by a succession of woeful performances worthy of Lee Baxter.

Some players work out at different clubs or in different environments. He had goodwill as he was local and highly rated England youth keeper - there was obviously huge potential there had the trajectory of his development continued.

Do I think he’s good enough for United now? Probably not even as back up, but to my mind he’s more than decent league 1 keeper as his performances last year for Wimbledon proved and generated championship interest.

Good luck to him, let’s hope we get a fee for him.

I think rubbish is too harsh. He was behind a porous defence and yes did make mistakes some due to the undue pressure other people’s errors placed on him. His confidence crashed and even the stronger parts of his game went. Probably because he was just waiting to be slaughtered from those behind him.

He has done well on loan at (the real) Dons and will I’m sure will do well away from here. He’s not likely to be PL standard but should be a decent lower league keeper. Hardly a rubbish career I would suggest.

I’m not sure agenda is the right term either but we’re quick to condemn and slow to forgive as a fan base.

I would like to point out that Coutts was rubbish on here too for long enough. How long did it take to realise that wasn’t right?

So if he’s rubbish, we won’t need to ask for a fee. Is that right?
And no one will complain if he gets sold on for a big fee and we haven’t got a percentage cos he’s crap. Is that right?
None will ever say “Same owd, same owd” about releasing him for nowt...is that right?

There is a mentality amongst our fans (and perhaps I’m guilty of the same re: someone like McNulty) that because you’ve seen him play some shit games for us wherever he goes next he will continue to be viewed as shit – regardless of whatever good performances he has put in, or will put in, as Unitedites we are often far to reluctant to dispense of views based on evidence that undermines them. You see the same to a certain extent with DCL “never a Premier League player”, and the reverse with someone like Ched Evans who despite showing nothing much of note in two years since returning to the game is just a preseason from becoming amazing again.

hes never been " rubbish"
hes been behind some rubbish defenders whod make any keeper look nervous
his clean sheet ratio in a very poor team is testament to him not being rubbish
he has the highest clean sheet ratio of any blades keeper in the past decade

Back
Top Bottom