Fulham 3-0 United (25 August 2015): where are they now?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've done one of these but our visit to Craven Cottage is a good opportunity to drag up from the depths one of the worst performances I've witnessed in person. We went to Championship Fulham in the second round of the League Cup having scraped past Morecambe in the first round by virtue of a 93rd minute Neill Collins header.

Fulham took the piss, went 2-0 up then Baxter came on and got himself sent off with a ludicrous challenge in the 88th minute. There was still time for Fulham to make it 3-0 and for Kieran Wallace to also get a red card, this time for bringing down Dembélé as he was through on goal, before Dembélé made it three, tapping in after McCormack's free kick was saved.

Anyway - onto the more important matters.

25 George Long: left United for Hull City where he oscillated between first choice and backup. Can now be found on Millwall's bench and to be fair, as some sages predicted, he has made himself a career at Championship level

21 Craig Alcock
32 Harrison McGahey
30 Kieran Wallace: joined Matlock after being released by United in 2017. Picked up by his old mentor Nigel Clough at Burton where he played fairly regularly until an ACL injury ruled him out until the summer of 2021. Currently on a short term loan at York as he rebuilds his fitness.
28 Callum McFadzean: been all over the place since leaving United - Kilmarnock, Alfreton, Guiseley, Bury, Plymouth, Sunderland and now Crewe. Fought back from the sixth tier to League One.

24 Diego De Girolamo: Buxton's main man after a knee injury wrecked his chances of a decent professional career. Adkins played him wide right in this game and he was hopeless IIRC
22 Louis Reed: Little Louis Reed, still the youngest player to represent United in league football, is now at crisis-hit Swindon after spending three years at Peterborough
4 James Wallace: eternally injured and forced into an early retirement, Wallace is now Fleetwood's chief scout
17 Martyn Woolford: a mate of mine who played with Woolford said he didn't understand why it didn't work out at United. I'll tell you why, he was nesh. Anyway, he's now at Frickley which was probably more his level even back in 2015.

12 Marc McNulty: can be seen with lollipops in his mouth and a jumper draped over his shoulders in the exclusive nightclubs of Dundee, where he is on loan at United from Reading. He's a goalscorer but he's lazy and that will always hold him back
23 Michael Higdon: retired and can be proud of having the greatest gap between highlights and real ability of any United player in the mid-2010s

Substitutes
1 Mark Howard: has become a fixture in a series of League Two clubs recently, currently #1 at Carlisle United
2 Kieron Freeman: had a renaissance under Chris Wilder, scoring a barely-believable 10 times from right wing back in our League One title season. Still only 29, he's now at Portsmouth
11 José Baxter: retired recently. Sullied his time at United by twice carelessly allowing his friends to cause him to ingest Class A narcotics which, considering he's a Class A prick, is kinda fitting
18 Connor Sammon: has spent his entire career missing chances which were easier to score and can now be found doing so for semi-pro Scottish League One side Alloa Athletic
29 Ché Adams: the one player on this list to make something of himself, he's now a £15m first choice for Premier League Southampton and the Scottish national side
31 Connor Dimaio: I thought he had a chance as he looked a good prospect in his first appearance for United away at Crawley in 2014. He's now at Boston in the National League North which shows how much I know.
34 David Edgar: came through the ranks at Newcastle but his heart never seemed to be in it and he bounced around North American football after his season on loan at United. Now assistant manager at CPL side Forge FC.

Manager:
Nigel Adkins: sacked by Charlton recently, probably after the Addicks' hierarchy got sick of his mind-boggling motivational videos

Dembélé was absolutely atrocious in this game, Oli Burke levels of bad-at-football. Felt so embarrassed when he eventually scored, although it literally just hit him and went in.

I know it was a cup game but that has to be one of the worst XIs we've ever put out. The player with the best career is probably Marc McNulty FFS.

Only other memorable thing from this was the Blades fan charging down the steps as though about to invade the pitch and then hugging the panicked steward instead (think it's someone on here, actually?).

Do like that - lots of personal opinions that others may not necessarily agree with. Don't think Swindon can be described as a crisis club any more though.

Only other memorable thing from this was the Blades fan charging down the steps as though about to invade the pitch and then hugging the panicked steward instead (think it's someone on here, actually?).

If it's the incident I'm thinking of, it was indeed someone on here, I was stood with them and a few others from here. He may reveal himself or prefer to remain incognito.

Dembélé was absolutely atrocious in this game, Oli Burke levels of bad-at-football. Felt so embarrassed when he eventually scored, although it literally just hit him and went in.

I know it was a cup game but that has to be one of the worst XIs we've ever put out. The player with the best career is probably Marc McNulty FFS.

I did look for the video but couldn't find it - you're clearly a better Google ninja than me. I was hoping for a clip of Baxter taking Cairney out just above the knee with a challange Fulham's online match report describes separately as "criminal", "despicable" and "terrible".

Do like that - lots of personal opinions that others may not necessarily agree with. Don't think Swindon can be described as a crisis club any more though.
Me? Opinions? Never... :) I stand corrected on Swindon, I was under the impression they still had Lee Power in charge.

More of these please Balham

pommpey
Cheers Pommps. There's a sweet spot between too recent for much to have changed and so far back that they've all retired. I'll do another couple before the end of the season.

I got so excited about Kieran Wallace playing at centre half I missed writing about Craig Alcock and Harrison McGahey...

21 Craig Alcock: a downward path from United took in Doncaster (L2, L1), Cheltenham (L2), Yeovil (Conf) and Harlow Town (Southern League Div One Central (8th tier)) where he now plays
32 Harrison McGahey: brought in ostensibly to replace Harry Maguire but patently not good enough, McGahey has nonetheless made a career at L1/L2 level and is now at crisis club Oldham Athletic.

I got so excited about Kieran Wallace playing at centre half I missed writing about Craig Alcock and Harrison McGahey...

21 Craig Alcock: a downward path from United took in Doncaster (L2, L1), Cheltenham (L2), Yeovil (Conf) and Harlow Town (Southern League Div One Central (8th tier)) where he now plays
32 Harrison McGahey: brought in ostensibly to replace Harry Maguire but patently not good enough, McGahey has nonetheless made a career at L1/L2 level and is now at crisis club Oldham Athletic.
I agree about Oldham :) - for Swindon Lee Power was booted out last summer. They are looking up actually and doing well, especially as they will remain under transfer restrictions for this season (which is to do with the agreement for the new owner taking over so there was no potential of another Bury).

I agree about Oldham :) - for Swindon Lee Power was booted out last summer. They are looking up actually and doing well, especially as they will remain under transfer restrictions for this season (which is to do with the agreement for the new owner taking over so there was no potential of another Bury).
I added the comment about Oldham just for you :):)

What a truly awful side that was, some on here moan about the current side, thank your lucky stars we haven’t sunk that low since. 🤞🤞

Seeing the names in that team just reminded me of that dreadful terrace chant we had at the time "Che and McNulty, Sammon and Sharpy, Deigooo ..... "

Awful song, awful team

What a truly atrocious starting XI that is. To think we moan about our current players when we've had dross like that wearing the red & white.

I got so excited about Kieran Wallace playing

For a handful of games K Wallace threatened to become a useful attacking left back. Adkins either dropped him or he got injured and it’s barely an exaggeration to say that no other bugger overlapped and crossed a ball for the rest of the season.

Kieron was a warm can of Carling in the middle of the Atacama.

I was working by Victoria Station at the time and walked down. Don’t remember much apart from groaning a lot. Found this on Facebook…

6598E6E2-0F25-484D-80B4-6005736C1B79.jpeg

I remember going down there, possibly another 3-0 defeat, in the mid-noughties. It pissed it down and we were atrocious that day too. Someone gave pelters to the side as they were walking off until Djaffo threatened to come up and maim him. Fun times.

I remember going down there, possibly another 3-0 defeat, in the mid-noughties. It pissed it down and we were atrocious that day too. Someone gave pelters to the side as they were walking off until Djaffo threatened to come up and maim him. Fun times.
April 2000, we lost 4-0. It was freezing and wet as you say and back then Fulham still had an open terrace. Being 9 I’d have much rather been at home but it was all experience ready for League One when I was older!

The other thing that has come back to me about the 2015 game was a bloke in front of me shouting racial obscenities at a Fulham player when he dived, the only time I’ve ever heard such comments at an SU match. He very quickly became the most apologetic and pathetic man in West London when he realised there was a black lad and his two mates on the row behind us who clearly spent a good 4/5 days a week lifting in the gym and took him to task on his remarks.

This promises to be a thoroughly depressing series.

Can’t wait for the one in a couple of years.

9 - Oli McBurnie. Bought for 17m after a promising spell with Swansea. Scored a great goal at home to Leicester. Spent the next two seasons trying to be converted into Jon Parkin, with limited success. After a brief spell at Rangers where he joined on a free, and was most synonimous for antagonising Celtic fans on social media. Didn’t score another goal after his time at United. Now a roadie for Goldie Lookin Chain.

😏

Back
Top Bottom