Front 2

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bruce Wayne

Reaction score
Burke & Mcburnie were awful together, Mcburnie seemed to be losing his rag at times as did Norwood when Burke failed to read the play time after time. I like Burke but his purpose is away from home running the channels to aleviate pressure. Wilder really needs to think now about Didsy as a no 10 for the remainder of the season, every time he goes to a back four and drops Didsy deeper we look a different side and we become much more likely to score. Mcburnie improved his game tonight when this happened and looked far happier playing alongside Billy, I wish CW would stop waiting for us to go 1-0 down before the predictable change of shape. To quote Wilder, lets take the handbrake off, what's to lose?

Tonight our precise passing and sharpness going forward was the worst it's been in the last 5 or so games. I don't think that's a coincidence to Mcburnie returning to the starting lineup either.

I don't think it's Mcburnies fault per se, he just seems to get in the way and slow things down when he's on the pitch. He sort of ambles around and when we do have the ball his movement into space is so lethargic there's 2 players between him and the ball so the only way to get it near him is to lump it up to him to chase.

If we're not playing a number 10, then Mcburnie is our WORST striker to have on the pitch imho.

Tonight our precise passing and sharpness going forward was the worst it's been in the last 5 or so games. I don't think that's a coincidence to Mcburnie returning to the starting lineup either.

I don't think it's Mcburnies fault per se, he just seems to get in the way and slow things down when he's on the pitch. He sort of ambles around and when we do have the ball his movement into space is so lethargic there's 2 players between him and the ball so the only way to get it near him is to lump it up to him to chase.

If we're not playing a number 10, then Mcburnie is our WORST striker to have on the pitch imho.

Wouldn't disagree too much, but Burke at home does not have the same effect when we are away IMO.

We did so much better taking off Mr Sideways pass and putting on McBurnie and playing with one in the hole behind a front 2, in midweek.

So whag does CW do....yes you've guessed it, go back to the formation that gives us nothing up top and awaits the inevitable. Infuriating.

Fuk sake, take the fkin handbrake off for once and have a go from the start of the game to try and cause the opposition problems.

McBurnie is an impact player at best. We look better with either Burke and Sharp or McGoldrick and Sharp Up front. I feel for Brewster because all he is getting is 5 and 10 mins here and there. He looks, at times, a natural striker so give him a go in the prem, what have we to lose ??? Playing McBurnie is such a backward step.

Wouldn't disagree too much, but Burke at home does not have the same effect when we are away IMO.
burke should only be used for away games and on bench for home games coming on for last 20 running at tired defenders but hes not a striker he would be ideal in a front 3 or a basic 442

Burke & Mcburnie were awful together, Mcburnie seemed to be losing his rag at times as did Norwood when Burke failed to read the play time after time. I like Burke but his purpose is away from home running the channels to aleviate pressure. Wilder really needs to think now about Didsy as a no 10 for the remainder of the season, every time he goes to a back four and drops Didsy deeper we look a different side and we become much more likely to score. Mcburnie improved his game tonight when this happened and looked far happier playing alongside Billy, I wish CW would stop waiting for us to go 1-0 down before the predictable change of shape. To quote Wilder, lets take the handbrake off, what's to lose?
The team was set up to play away from home! Chelsea are far superior and if we play 4 at the back from the start they will hurt us down the flanks (or through middle when full backs dragged wide) as evidenced by their first goal when they finally found width and 2 passes later it’s in back of net. We were actually really good out of possession (awful in possession) before the goal. I don’t remember Rammers making a save... we should, however, be playing 442 from the off against teams like West Brom etc but not Chelsea, Man City, Man U etc

The team was set up to play away from home! Chelsea are far superior and if we play 4 at the back from the start they will hurt us down the flanks (or through middle when full backs dragged wide) as evidenced by their first goal when they finally found width and 2 passes later it’s in back of net. We were actually really good out of possession (awful in possession) before the goal. I don’t remember Rammers making a save... we should, however, be playing 442 from the off against teams like West Brom etc but not Chelsea, Man City, Man U etc

When you have a super slim chance of staying up you should throw the kitchen sink at it IMO. Not like we have anything to lose is it 🤷‍♂️

I think Burke was the right choice for this game and there is an obvious trade off, whenever we play him. He has been very effective alongside McGoldrick, because he creates space, stretches play and occupies defenders, to benefit a player who can exploit it. But, playing the two together, you had two players who really lack the technique at this level. They often got themselves on the ball, which in different they have qualities to do and importantly they got close to each other ( which has been a problem with any number of combinations we have tried), but they just did not have the ability to make anything of it. If either of them get their bodies into the right position, have the speed of mind, composure and technique to get a shot or header on target, its always going to be the exception, rather the norm McBurnie had an impact at WBA, but it only had value because it benefited Sharp and McGoldrick

Burke is a runner and can have an impact but he's not a PL standard footballer.

No disgrace just reality.

Based on merit and ability to work as a pair, there is an easy choice out there.

A very easy one 😉.

UTB

Bruce how can you use that photo as your icon and then start a post entitled "front two" ????

You've answered your own question mate I'd prefer those two over brewster and McB every time

I think we need a plan for next season in terms of how we want to attack it and who we see as our preferred front players.

It's obviously a squad game and you need options but I've felt this season that too often it's just been a bit scattergun.

At times the choice of at least one of the front players appears to have made sense but others I've been at a bit of a loss to understand the thinking.

I thought the choice on Monday night was a bit odd based on West Ham's style and the strengths/weaknesses of their back 4.

I think we need a plan for next season in terms of how we want to attack it and who we see as our preferred front players.

It's obviously a squad game and you need options but I've felt this season that too often it's just been a bit scattergun.

At times the choice of at least one of the front players appears to have made sense but others I've been at a bit of a loss to understand the thinking.

I thought the choice on Monday night was a bit odd based on West Ham's style and the strengths/weaknesses of their back 4.
think it was definetly the wrong game to start billy burke should have been in with his pace problem is though neither burke or goldie can hit a barn door

That’s my opinion.
You keep doing your diagrams I’ll keep it simple.

He’s scored this season, so that’s one of your three criteria down.

He showed one of the best moments of control from any of our players this season in a game a few weeks ago (West Brom?) so that’s another of your criteria down.

His pass for Basham which won us the penalty against Villa was possibly the best defence splitting pass we’ve seen this season. So that’s the final criteria gone.

What he doesn’t do is those things often enough. He also doesn’t have a footballing brain. He’s very useful in certain situations, he’s not so useful in others. He’s been no worse than many this season.

Burke is like Moose.

The hardware is 1st rate but the operating system consistently has annoying “bugs” that you just can’t seem to get rid of !!!!

UTB

He showed one of the best moments of control from any of our players this season in a game a few weeks ago (West Brom?) so that’s another of your criteria down.

His pass for Basham which won us the penalty against Villa was possibly the best defence splitting pass we’ve seen this season. So that’s the final criteria gone.

What he doesn’t do is those things often enough. He also doesn’t have a footballing brain. He’s very useful in certain situations, he’s not so useful in others. He’s been no worse than many this season.
It's a bit much to say he can't do any of those things, but I don't think it's unfair to say he's not very good at them for a Premier League forward.

There is a place in any squad for that level of sheer pace and power, but that's all it will ever be - a place in the squad.

just cant see mousset still being here in august get rid and move on

One goal this year and that was a deflection his scoring record in general as a striker is pathetic.
Even decent players never mind great do the above on regular basis.
He is a poor excuse for a footballer not CWs best days work

Back
Top Bottom