Free-Agent Centre Backs?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bongleblade

Reaction score
After last night i’m wondering is a big dominant Centre Back the last missing piece to our puzzle to see out those shithouse games…

Had a look and there are some decent CBs on a free at the moment:

Vlademir Golemic - Serbian 6’4 CB who last played 30 games in Serie A for Crotone in 2021

Lamine Kone - Signed in Sunderland’s PL era and then loaned out to Ligue 1, experienced 32yo CB but maybe still gas in the tank?

Saba Kvirkvelia - Absolute Tank at 6’5, a stalwart of the Georgian national team who last featured for Lokomotiv Moscow

Do we agree this could be what we need? We have looked shite defending set pieces and in the air ever since JOC got injured

After last night i’m wondering is a big dominant Centre Back the last missing piece to our puzzle to see out those shithouse games…

Vlademir Golemic - Serbian 6’4 CB who last played 30 games in Serie A for Crotone in 2021

Lamine Kone - Signed in Sunderland’s PL era and then loaned out to Ligue 1, experienced 32yo CB but maybe still gas in the tank?

Saba Kvirkvelia - Absolute Tank at 6’5, a stalwart of the Georgian national team who last featured for Lokomotiv Moscow

Do we agree this could be what we need? We have looked shite defending set pieces and in the air ever since JOC got injured
Good point, and maybe. Sounds like a real stretch to think any of those three would be good enough though, unfortunately.

Davies isn't aerially dominant, but he also won't be a total liability like some (unnamed) LCBs.
Enda will hopefully recapture old form at LB and is decent in the air.

Good point, and maybe. Sounds like a real stretch to think any of those three would be good enough though, unfortunately.

Davies isn't aerially dominant, but he also won't be a total liability like some (unnamed) LCBs.
Hmm yeah that was my thinking, they arent quite the level we are looking for. I do wonder if we need to blood Lopata in, he is exactly what we are after except for experience

Even if they are crap they might be willing to come on trial and we can judge that in the flesh.

Ben Davies?
Better than Robinson obviously but he isn’t great in the air either. As others have said, scandalous that we haven’t brought in an aerially dominant central defender since JOC got injured - and we continue to concede so many goals from crosses.

What about work permits?

What about work permits?
Golemic and Kone have both played regularly in Europe's top 5 leagues recently, Kone has also featured a few times for Ivory Coast so i would imagine would breeze through. Kvirkvelia would be more tricky, i didn't realise Georgia weren't a top 50 Fifa ranked nation.

Can you imagine how many goals will be conceded should Egan miss more than the odd game for any reason?

It's a massive worry. Egan himself isn't a physically imposing, or aerially dominating centre half. But he's certainly the best we have. If he gets injured (and he has before) then we're in big trouble.

You won't find me disagreeing with those that say we need a big strong dominant centre half in. I've been banging that drum for about 18 months now (since JOC was injured actually). Still am, as whilst Davies is a decent player he's not a big imposing centre half that we have needed. I wanted us to go for Aden Flint at Cardiff (or someone like him) the season before last as a proper monster at the back is useful in any league including the PL.

Mind you, I was told by some on here that that isn't the way to go, and that we have to be more cultured these days. My response was 'absolute bollocks' I think. That was a very cultured bollock dropped by Jack Robinson last night...

You won't find me disagreeing with those that say we need a big strong dominant centre half in. I've been banging that drum for about 18 months now (since JOC was injured actually). Still am, as whilst Davies is a decent player he's not a big imposing centre half that we have needed. I wanted us to go for Aden Flint at Cardiff (or someone like him) the season before last as a proper monster at the back is useful in any league including the PL.

Mind you, I was told by some on here that that isn't the way to go, and that we have to be more cultured these days. My response was 'absolute bollocks' I think. That was a very cultured bollock dropped by Jack Robinson last night...

Jake Cooper at Millwall seems to be the obvious choice IMO.

Back
Top Bottom