CONFIRMED Femi Seriki signs new contract and joins Rotherham United on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To be fair it looks to be a great side with jebbison and Ndiaye in the team along with brunt and lopata
Only one of them has "made it" in the first team? Jebbison hasn't completely made his place his own in the league below.

It's not easy. Only Maguire made it from the youth cup side and he was already involved with the first team by the final.

Only one of them has "made it" in the first team? Jebbison hasn't completely made his place his own in the league below.

It's not easy. Only Maguire made it from the youth cup side and he was already involved with the first team by the final.
Definitely more talent in this squad than the one Maguire played in.
Dunt mean any thing much at this stage but the quality is there how far they can go is up to the coaches and the progress they make.Some exciting players in there.

To be fair it looks to be a great side with jebbison and Ndiaye in the team along with brunt and lopata

I'm not sure what constitutes "great." But Brunt & Lopata are playing non-league football, albeit doing pretty well. Jebbison isn't starting at Burton, though showing a bit of promise. Ndiaye, of course, is the success story contributing to the first team. However, worth nothing that he's already 21 and not starting many games.

I'm all for upgrading the academy and developing a new approach, but it should be done in parallel with a more traditional approach. Putting all of our eggs in one basket (hoping we can get a stream of youth players regularly coming through to first team) is ludicrous given how few make it in the professional game at our level.

I'm not sure what constitutes "great." But Brunt & Lopata are playing non-league football, albeit doing pretty well. Jebbison isn't starting at Burton, though showing a bit of promise. Ndiaye, of course, is the success story contributing to the first team. However, worth nothing that he's already 21 and not starting many games.

I'm all for upgrading the academy and developing a new approach, but it should be done in parallel with a more traditional approach. Putting all of our eggs in one basket (hoping we can get a stream of youth players regularly coming through to first team) is ludicrous given how few make it in the professional game at our level.
I think you’re right it should be a rounded approach but it seems we’ll be focusing on youth. That’s fine if it’s a diversified approach so we know we have a decent crop of our own academy players we’ve supplemented that of late with outside academy signings. If the interest in Hill is followed up and we make young signings for the first team then we’re giving ourselves the best chance possible of unearthing some gems.

Completely right. The last time we went for this all out give the youngest a try policy we were relegated with Maguire, Long, Kennedy, Mcfadzean, Slew all learning their trade. After we failed to bounce back immediately we had a pretty average second season in league one with Ironside, Whitehouse etc that played more often.

We need to continue to invest in experienced quality if we want to go up whether that be this season or next. Look what happened when Wilder came in & signed winners that knew league one we absolutely smashed the league.
I think you’re right it should be a rounded approach but it seems we’ll be focusing on youth. That’s fine if it’s a diversified approach so we know we have a decent crop of our own academy players we’ve supplemented that of late with outside academy signings. If the interest in Hill is followed up and we make young signings for the first team then we’re giving ourselves the best chance possible of unearthing some gems.

Completely right. The last time we went for this all out give the youngest a try policy we were relegated with Maguire, Long, Kennedy, Mcfadzean, Slew all learning their trade. After we failed to bounce back immediately we had a pretty average second season in league one with Ironside, Whitehouse etc that played more often.

We need to continue to invest in experienced quality if we want to go up whether that be this season or next. Look what happened when Wilder came in & signed winners that knew league one we absolutely smashed the league.
I’d agree but I think we have enough experienced quality in house currently very different to when wilder came in what we lack is depth and competition and I’m fine with some young guns providing that but first and foremost they have to be good enough regardless of age.

Not sure we can really blame the youth policy tbh. Most of them were playing when the writing was on the wall

It’s was a completely uninspiring appointment in Micky Adams that set us down.

Having some quality youth players coming through can only help supplement the squad - you could run the academy for a decade for what we paid / wasted on mcburnie and that’s discounting what you could sell a next ndaiye / brooks for…

I think you are re-writing history a bit there. In 2011, under Adams, we didn't have a side full of kids at all. George Long played once, Kennedy played once (both on the last day, once we'd already been relegated, along with Harriott), McFadzean didn't play at all. Slew (8) and Maguire (5) got a few games each.

The team below played against Cardiff in April, and tells it's own story, about why we got relegated
  • 01 Simonsen
  • 03 Nosworthy (Montgomery 46)
  • 20 Mattock (Maguire 48)
  • 21 Lowry
  • 23 Collins
  • 34 Lowton
  • 08 Doyle
  • 28 Quinn
  • 38 Riise
  • 07 Henderson (Bent 78)
  • 10 Bogdanovic

What a piss poor side that was for the championship. Bleak times.

What a piss poor side that was for the championship. Bleak times.
Mickie Adams had a terrible time of it we couldn't win a match for love or money.Adams had fallouts with players and team spirit was dead ,on paper that wasn't a bad 11.Felt sorry for Adams as he is a big blade even had a get out Klause in his contract at port Vale if we came knocking.
Everything just went wrong,I remember the home game against Lei cester we just couldn't get the ball over the line as if we were destined to lose out.
A nightmare time ensued.

I think you are re-writing history a bit there. In 2011, under Adams, we didn't have a side full of kids at all. George Long played once, Kennedy played once (both on the last day, once we'd already been relegated, along with Harriott), McFadzean didn't play at all. Slew (8) and Maguire (5) got a few games each.

The team below played against Cardiff in April, and tells it's own story, about why we got relegated
  • 01 Simonsen
  • 03 Nosworthy (Montgomery 46)
  • 20 Mattock (Maguire 48)
  • 21 Lowry
  • 23 Collins
  • 34 Lowton
  • 08 Doyle
  • 28 Quinn
  • 38 Riise
  • 07 Henderson (Bent 78)
  • 10 Bogdanovic
Yes I agree, I was referring to the second season in league one when we were rebuilding with no money and seemed to be playing majority of youngsters. I think we lost to Yeovil in the play off semis that season but our squad was so poor

Mickie Adams had a terrible time of it we couldn't win a match for love or money.Adams had fallouts with players and team spirit was dead ,on paper that wasn't a bad 11.Felt sorry for Adams as he is a big blade even had a get out Klause in his contract at port Vale if we came knocking.
Everything just went wrong,I remember the home game against Lei cester we just couldn't get the ball over the line as if we were destined to lose out.
A nightmare time ensued.
My recollection of peak Adams was a 2-1 defeat to Norwich at home.

2 shit sides but their goalie played well, Simmo got bullied on at least 1 corner to concede, and their strikers were lively.

It was as bad as we'd been since Haslam/Peters era, but was probably not quite as bad as the Adkins season to follow

My recollection of peak Adams was a 2-1 defeat to Norwich at home.

2 shit sides but their goalie played well, Simmo got bullied on at least 1 corner to concede, and their strikers were lively.

It was as bad as we'd been since Haslam/Peters era, but was probably not quite as bad as the Adkins season to follow
I kept count be was that bad. I think O got to 13 goals Simmo should have done far better on during that season. Blame Paddy and his over the counter purchasing!

Talking of paddy he has got a job as a pundit providing inside information on Utd
Think he should stick to cough medicine I hear more informative stuff from the guys in the pub

I kept count be was that bad. I think O got to 13 goals Simmo should have done far better on during that season. Blame Paddy and his over the counter purchasing!
That was also the season he scored the own goal versus Boro, by waving his hand at a cross and diverting it into his own net. About 5 minutes later there was an injury, and the sight of him stood all alone, in the rain, contemplating the meaning of life, will never leave me

I think we should knock the Beerschot thing on the head in terms of sending players there.
We've seen with Jebbison it's better to find a League 1/2 club.
In any case, they're as good as relegated.

Seems like it especially when you see how well the lads at Southend are doing as well.

I think we should knock the Beerschot thing on the head in terms of sending players there.
We've seen with Jebbison it's better to find a League 1/2 club.
In any case, they're as good as relegated.
Having read up on them a bit this past few months I just think there needs to be better planning involved. The deal has got to be mutually beneficial.

You can't just send players there without any regard for their actual need with the thought that he'll just get games.

Beerschot already has 2 senior players for the right back spot; Jerome Dom who is relatively solid defensively and one of there most experienced go to players at 32. He's played 108 matches for them, been with them since 2017 and is an Antwerp native. The other is Réda Halaïmia who is an attacking right back, Algerian international, who is 25.

Sending Seriki there always seemed a bit ask for him getting game time.

Now they apparently asked Norrington-Davies and Jebbison. Both of these made sense. They hardly have any left back options and the one they did take De Smet from Reims has struggled. Definitely a chance to have been first though fair play for backing himself and it is now paying off. Up front they have struggled for goals and only recently (not yesterday) did they get a bit of presence with Avenatti who they borrowed from Standard Liege.

Nothing wrong in my view in having this option but like any move, it has to make sense for both player teams.

Surely Baldock must be back? Seriki has been on the bench for the last few games
Curtis has arrived and you’d imagine he’ll be pushing for a bench spot.

Back
Top Bottom