CONFIRMED Femi Seriki signs new contract and joins Rotherham United on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hopefully, something needs to change rather quickly. A lot of money has been wasted and the situation is hopeless. It won’t be all nice chit chat in the board at the moment. Van winckel had to do a runner last home game because fans were targeting him and this won’t improve. Everything turned sour really quickly since November 2020.
What in particular has gone wrong?

What in particular has gone wrong?
Promoted side, starting well because of winning feeling and going on the flow of promotion. Then reality check and weak spots come to the surface (2nd division players that are out of their pace in 1st division). Then winter transfer period starts and you think they strengthen the team to address the weak spots. On the contrary they sell the star striker who had a big part in the promotion and they don’t replace him. The promotion winning manager gets a good offer from the MLS and leaves. So side is weakened further and is forced to change manager. They say they save the budget for next season and promise to put together a strong squad for the next season. Summer transfer window starts and nothing happens. They sign zero players with experience in the Belgian first division. They only sign foreign players with very big question marks whereas we were praying for a quality injection since last winter. The football went from bad to worse. After a disaster start they sign Vaca and Shankland but both are not of a standard to make a direct impact. We keep losing. On deadline day they sign the first players that seem to have the required level with Lemos and Caicedo but Lemos has not played for months so in his first minutes he immediately pulls a muscle and is out. Caicedo had to play 3 qualifiers with Ecudaor and only arrived last Friday. In the meantime the manager got the sack. The interim manager resigned after the loss yesterday where the game was over after 6 minutes, first minute our most experienced center back gave away a penalty and after 5 minutes our goalkeeper makes a mistake. That’s about it in summary. Hardly won a game or scored a goal in the whole of 2021.

Promoted side, starting well because of winning feeling and going on the flow of promotion. Then reality check and weak spots come to the surface (2nd division players that are out of their pace in 1st division). Then winter transfer period starts and you think they strengthen the team to address the weak spots. On the contrary they sell the star striker who had a big part in the promotion and they don’t replace him. The promotion winning manager gets a good offer from the MLS and leaves. So side is weakened further and is forced to change manager. They say they save the budget for next season and promise to put together a strong squad for the next season. Summer transfer window starts and nothing happens. They sign zero players with experience in the Belgian first division. They only sign foreign players with very big question marks whereas we were praying for a quality injection since last winter. The football went from bad to worse. After a disaster start they sign Vaca and Shankland but both are not of a standard to make a direct impact. We keep losing. On deadline day they sign the first players that seem to have the required level with Lemos and Caicedo but Lemos has not played for months so in his first minutes he immediately pulls a muscle and is out. Caicedo had to play 3 qualifiers with Ecudaor and only arrived last Friday. In the meantime the manager got the sack. The interim manager resigned after the loss yesterday where the game was over after 6 minutes, first minute our most experienced center back gave away a penalty and after 5 minutes our goalkeeper makes a mistake. That’s about it in summary. Hardly won a game or scored a goal in the whole of 2021.
It's not that dissimilar to what happened here. Not a good look for United World

Yeah but Blades are going up. So swings and roundabouts and all that jazz. In all seriousness though maybe not all those factors are a United World issue. Not entirely surprising it was difficult to recruit players of a required standard given the lack of revenue and your form at the end of last season - sadly I think the writing was on the wall and you were always likely to struggle this season. Sounds like you’re in for a grim month or three though.

Maybe we can send you Ollie Burke and Jack Robinson in January…

Some warning signs there and question marks over Van Winkel and his ability to get these foreign gems they takes of. If he can’t even do it in Belgium, where work permits aren’t the issue they are here then what confidence can we have he would be able to Do it for United?

Some warning signs there and question marks over Van Winkel and his ability to get these foreign gems they takes of. If he can’t even do it in Belgium, where work permits aren’t the issue they are here then what confidence can we have he would be able to Do it for United?
If beerschot continue to fail then the buck has to step with van winkle with the manger gone the DOF should be the one for the chop next if things don’t improve.

It might just be the way of things and I mean no disrespect by this. The recent history is eerily like our own:

15/16 Third Tier
16/17 Third Tier (promoted, Champions)
17/18 Second Tier (3rd, not promoted)
18/19 Second Tier (2nd, not promoted)
19/20 Second Tier (5th, promoted)
20/21 First Tier (9th)
21/22 First Tier (18th, bottom)

Third Tier Champions ✅
Consolidated in Second Tier then promoted ✅
9th in first season in top flight, narrowly missing Europe ✅
Players that got you there running out of steam and hitting bottom ✅

It seems to me Beerschot probably need a new core, with enough wholesale changes to improve the spine throughout.

Like ourselves, at Boardroom level there was probably optimism for the new season but rather than supplementing those that finished 9th, it was probably time to be a little more ruthless with 2 or 3 marquee signings who knew the league well rather than players of promise e.g. Ramsdale, Brewster, it really needed players for the now. I can't give the equivalent of Brewster and Ramsdale for Beerschot but I understand they went young and foreign in recruitment so it's looked like candles and icing but the ingredients for th actual cake got neglected!

I think I recalled PurpleRain mention that one or two of the key players were falling short. Sounds very Norwood and Stevens to continue the parallel.

In your view PurpleRain, who are the ones who perhaps needed moving on and conversely, who do you see as the main players who can contribute going forwards?

Very interesting comparison Champagne Blade. Some points that need mentioning is that the prince only arrived after our first season in the 2nd tier. Until that moment the club was financed by the fans and if it was not for a 90’ minute fictional penalty in our promotion final we would have completed the return from non league to the first tier completely ourselves. Then the prince and van winckel stepped in and there were some good transfers but also a long list that never made the first team. In that second year we came very close to promotion so we have to give credit for that. In the promotion year funny enough we had a very poor season and were closer to relegation than promotion. The particular competition format meant that we had enough by winning the last period to play the promotion final and a new manager that was appointed did a fantastic job to get everything out of the players. I am not sure it is just a question of needing a rebuild of a squad. For sure the rebuild is required but there are many other signs that point out that the prince and his group are not doing what they promised. The most visible is the training ground which are still the non league facilities and a disgrace. The players can’t even shower there and have car pool back to the stadium to shower. Promises of building a new complex just do not materialize. Another promise was that they had learned the lessons of United’s 2nd season at the top and needed to do things differently. We are seeing how well that went. It’s just about signing some quality players for the core of the team. How they are handling things in recent weeks sacking a manager who was hired for a long term project with a 3 year contract is also very amateurish. We currently have no manager, not even a caretaker so they called off training on Sunday and Monday. Normally at least the players that did not have game time should have trained. Our next game is already on Saturday and the players are left in the dark. I get the impression that the local people at the club have no decision power and are waiting for the prince and his following and in the meantime we are a club a drift. I wish I could be more positive but things are just not right. We are used to support a club that doesn’t win every week and are no glory hunters on the contrary. But the last months there is no pride anymore. It’s a joke.

Very interesting comparison Champagne Blade. Some points that need mentioning is that the prince only arrived after our first season in the 2nd tier. Until that moment the club was financed by the fans and if it was not for a 90’ minute fictional penalty in our promotion final we would have completed the return from non league to the first tier completely ourselves. Then the prince and van winckel stepped in and there were some good transfers but also a long list that never made the first team. In that second year we came very close to promotion so we have to give credit for that. In the promotion year funny enough we had a very poor season and were closer to relegation than promotion. The particular competition format meant that we had enough by winning the last period to play the promotion final and a new manager that was appointed did a fantastic job to get everything out of the players. I am not sure it is just a question of needing a rebuild of a squad. For sure the rebuild is required but there are many other signs that point out that the prince and his group are not doing what they promised. The most visible is the training ground which are still the non league facilities and a disgrace. The players can’t even shower there and have car pool back to the stadium to shower. Promises of building a new complex just do not materialize. Another promise was that they had learned the lessons of United’s 2nd season at the top and needed to do things differently. We are seeing how well that went. It’s just about signing some quality players for the core of the team. How they are handling things in recent weeks sacking a manager who was hired for a long term project with a 3 year contract is also very amateurish. We currently have no manager, not even a caretaker so they called off training on Sunday and Monday. Normally at least the players that did not have game time should have trained. Our next game is already on Saturday and the players are left in the dark. I get the impression that the local people at the club have no decision power and are waiting for the prince and his following and in the meantime we are a club a drift. I wish I could be more positive but things are just not right. We are used to support a club that doesn’t win every week and are no glory hunters on the contrary. But the last months there is no pride anymore. It’s a joke.
Yes we were promised a new training ground too

Yes, new manager just announced. No experience in Europe, quite experienced in South America. Big gamble, we’ll see I guess. We’re already with one leg in the second division anyway.

Yes, new manager just announced. No experience in Europe, quite experienced in South America. Big gamble, we’ll see I guess. We’re already with one leg in the second division anyway.
Apart from he was at Marseille with JVW which I guess is the connection.

Apart from he was at Marseille with JVW which I guess is the connection.
Yes apparently assistant of Bielsa in the past. His cv the last years is a bit strange hopping from one club to another. Very sceptic but a fan always hopes for a turn in fortunes. So praying for the best and fearing the worst.

Yes apparently assistant of Bielsa in the past. His cv the last years is a bit strange hopping from one club to another. Very sceptic but a fan always hopes for a turn in fortunes. So praying for the best and fearing the worst.

Really feel for you PR.

I feel this network of clubs is a double edge sword; I'm sure it's great when we're all winning, but with you guys going through such a tough time, it sours the Sheffield United experience, at least for me.

It's partly because it damages the prince's (and by extension, JVW's) credentials, and makes me worry about their decision making for us in a selfish way. More importantly though it makes me feel like we're somehow complicit in Beerschot's misfortune.

You (they) are a real club, with real fans: not a subsidiary or reserve team for Sheff Utd. I wonder if Beerschot are sacrificing their fortunes on the pitch in order to develop players and serve United World.

Situation doesn't sit well with me at all. Desperately hoping for a change in fortunes soon.

PS: Is "double edge sword" an expression you're familiar with in Belgium PurpleRain ? If not, I'm sure you have a poetic equivalent.

English is my wife's second language, and it always amuses me to hear her equivalent of English sayings/expressions in her mother tongue.

PS: Is "double edge sword" an expression you're familiar with in Belgium PurpleRain ? If not, I'm sure you have a poetic equivalent.

English is my wife's second language, and it always amuses me to hear her equivalent of English sayings/expressions in her mother tongue.
Yes I know what you mean. There is not any kind of blame towards United. It’s really about the finances and know how that is lacking and United also is suffering as I see it. We are both clubs that have not had much joy of success for a very long time but we do have the potential compared to the potential of the Brentfords, watfords, Leicester’s and Brightons in your case and the Oostendes, Union, OHL, Eupens in our case. And it’s sad to see this potential not being unlocked by generations of owners. But the fans are always there. The general feeling at our club is that the prince is not the right owner. He doesn’t deliver on promises and there is no know how of how to run a professional football club.

Yes I know what you mean. There is not any kind of blame towards United. It’s really about the finances and know how that is lacking and United also is suffering as I see it. We are both clubs that have not had much joy of success for a very long time but we do have the potential compared to the potential of the Brentfords, watfords, Leicester’s and Brightons in your case and the Oostendes, Union, OHL, Eupens in our case. And it’s sad to see this potential not being unlocked by generations of owners. But the fans are always there. The general feeling at our club is that the prince is not the right owner. He doesn’t deliver on promises and there is no know how of how to run a professional football club.

A lack of finances can be forgiven. Failing to deliver on promises and mismanagement is a different story entirely.

When they said they were going to do everything to avoid a repeat of United’s second season in the first tier, we did not realize they meant that they were going to make it even worse. Each game a different player makes a crucial mistake. Last week giving away a ridiculous penalty in the first minute, now a player after 5 minutes making a ridiculous foul getting red carded. Only positive is that the fans made a nice pyro show, stayed behind the team the whole game and after the game demanded the resignation of van winckel

When they said they were going to do everything to avoid a repeat of United’s second season in the first tier, we did not realize they meant that they were going to make it even worse. Each game a different player makes a crucial mistake. Last week giving away a ridiculous penalty in the first minute, now a player after 5 minutes making a ridiculous foul getting red carded. Only positive is that the fans made a nice pyro show, stayed behind the team the whole game and after the game demanded the resignation of van winckel
The owner of both of our clubs seems to be significantly out of his depth both financially and in terms of the knowledge of how to run a football club.

I think the whole success of 'United World' relied on Sheffield United being PL team and guaranteeing revenue.

I'm starting to get more and more worried tbh. On the pitch Uniteds fortunes have improved but off the pitch all the little things are being managed very poorly. Sounds the same at Beerschot

Back to the actual thread title PurpleRain - what is actually happening with Seriki? I noted he didn’t make the bench yesterday. Surely he is due a shot given how inept the side have been.

Back to the actual thread title PurpleRain - what is actually happening with Seriki? I noted he didn’t make the bench yesterday. Surely he is due a shot given how inept the side have been.
No idea. There is zero communication from the club about injuries and fitness. Could be a physical isssue otherwise, better to recall him and send him somewhere where the lad can play. Yesterday we finished the game with 8. Appears that our left back has a heart problem and he left the field with no subs left.

I'm just guessing, but maybe he was a signing imposed by the board rather than the manager. Similar to Zivkovic and the Greek Fella(Retsos?)

I feel for you PR, I really do. I completely echo Kanye's comments on post #135 above. I hope the tide turns for you and you nick a result from somewhere soon but, like us last year, once you're in a rut it's hard to get out of it. Keep smiling PR and please keep us updated on your great Club and fans.

Many thanks. I am thinking to cross the channel between Christmas and New Year just to enjoy some football. My 2 kids are also football mad, especially about English football. I saw United has a home game against Preston. Do you think it would be a nice game and if tickets would be available? Any other games you would recommend in the region in that period, just to give the kids a great experience? They are 16 and 17 so no small kids anymore…

Many thanks. I am thinking to cross the channel between Christmas and New Year just to enjoy some football. My 2 kids are also football mad, especially about English football. I saw United has a home game against Preston. Do you think it would be a nice game and if tickets would be available? Any other games you would recommend in the region in that period, just to give the kids a great experience? They are 16 and 17 so no small kids anymore…
I don’t think we’ve got preston at home again this season. Against hull on the 29th December will be a great atmosphere if we’re still in and around it

The Preston game is away at Deepdale on Boxing Day. The home games are Hull (29 Dec) and Boro on NYD.

You should be able to get a ticket for the home games - the atmosphere is often quite good at that time of year, possibly because everyone is on the sherry.

Back
Top Bottom