Don Hutchison

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeTillIDie

Reaction score
Just a few years before my time going to the lane but I watch ESPN sometimes and he mentions quite abit that he went in goal for United at Ipswich? Apparently it was funny because he fell over when they scored or something? 🤣 Just wondered if anyone remembers this, would love to see it!

I was surprised he's actually made the most appearances for the Blades than anyone else he's played for..

Just a few years before my time going to the lane but I watch ESPN sometimes and he mentions quite abit that he went in goal for United at Ipswich? Apparently it was funny because he fell over when they scored or something? 🤣 Just wondered if anyone remembers this, would love to see it!

I was surprised he's actually made the most appearances for the Blades than anyone else he's played for..

It was a televised game and Mitch Ward scored a screamer.

How did Simon Tracey hit the post (according to the commentator, but not shown)? I have no recollection of that game at all!

He used to peel labels of bottles of beer and stick em on his knob .......

My dad tells me that year we did spend abit of ££ and got a couple decent PL players.

The Hutch us the best midfielder I’ve seen in a Blades shirt. Comfortable on the ball, great vision, seemed to have time on the ball, always a sign of a great player. Gutted when he went. Anybody seen him lately? He’s had a hair transplant, looks good, he did recede pretty early on in his life. Same as me, although I shave what I’ve got left with a squirt of Mr Sheen and a polish of my bonce in the morning.

Don Hutchinson Beighton blade .lived across from the fox ,utb

My clear memory of watching that game on TV was telling the ex-Mrs Trig that Simon Tracey had collided with the post and got concussion. Before I could tell her he’d gone off, Hutchison appeared on the screen in his keeper’s kit and ex-Mrs Trig said “yes, he does look a bit groggy”. I had to explain that Hutch wasn’t concussed, he always looked like that 🙂

Don Hutchison was a strange one. I can't remember him with great fondness like McGrath, Borbokis, Quinn, Whitehouse, Deane, Taylor, Fjortoft, Marcelo from that era but he left us and had a very respectable career at PL level with Everton, West Ham and Sunderland iirc.

Equally bizarre that year was Roger Nilsen going out on loan to Premier League Tottenham Hotspur even though he was our backup fullback/centre back. I'm guessing they were decimated by temporary injuries.

Don Hutchison was a strange one. I can't remember him with great fondness like McGrath, Borbokis, Quinn, Whitehouse, Deane, Taylor, Fjortoft, Marcelo from that era but he left us and had a very respectable career at PL level with Everton, West Ham and Sunderland iirc.

Equally bizarre that year was Roger Nilsen going out on loan to Premier League Tottenham Hotspur even though he was our backup fullback/centre back. I'm guessing they were decimated by temporary injuries.
Was Pleat in charge of Spurs then? Never mind taking Nilsen on loan been bizarre but Andy Booth also went on loan to them.

A story I got told about him was regarding the Villa cup game where Dwight Yorke scored the controversial panenka penalty. Apparently Hutchison had spoken to the groundsman and was assured that the game would be off due to the amount of snow. Unfortunately, due to the game being on TV, United made a terrific effort to get the game on Hutchinson was in the hotel bar when united tracked him down and asked why he wasn't at the lane needless to say, he played shite and was taken off at half time, allegedly throwing up when taking a corner.
I believe kendall took him to Everton along with Ward and tiler.

Hutchinson had a great career after us. Don't think we really saw him at his best. No way we would've signed him if he didn't keep getting his dick out in photos.

As the story goes:

First, it was at a wine bar, where the less-than-prolific Liverpool striker saw a group of students celebrating their graduation, with a videocamera. Hutchison reportedly strolled over, whipped his knob out, and told them to “zoom in on this”. Whilst his comment suggests that his member was too small to see without zooming in, the incident didn’t deter him one bit. A year later, on holiday in Ayia Napa, a drunk Hutchison was photographed with his exposed tackle placed behind a Budweiser label (product placement?). When snaps of the latter incident unsprisingly hit the papers, then-Liverpool manager Roy Evans remarked, “if Hutchison is flashing his cock again, that’s out of order”. Superb.

A story I got told about him was regarding the Villa cup game where Dwight Yorke scored the controversial panenka penalty. Apparently Hutchison had spoken to the groundsman and was assured that the game would be off due to the amount of snow. Unfortunately, due to the game being on TV, United made a terrific effort to get the game on Hutchinson was in the hotel bar when united tracked him down and asked why he wasn't at the lane needless to say, he played shite and was taken off at half time, allegedly throwing up when taking a corner.
I believe kendall took him to Everton along with Ward and tiler.
Wasn't that the game where Milosevic got utterly pelted with snowballs from the Kop?

It was the commentator trying to be humorous , Tracy banged his head against the post went off with concussion and hence Hutchison went in goal

Thanks! I’ve no ‘memry’ of that game whatsoever. I’m normally pretty good on our 90s games too, so no idea how I’ve blanked that one.

Wasn't that the game where Milosevic got utterly pelted with snowballs from the Kop?
Yes, near the end of the game Hodges came on as sub and irritated Milosevic by ankle tapping him and elbowing his ribs. Milosevic complained to the ref but the ref ignored him. Soon after, Hodges had the ball, Milosevic tried to get revenge by attempting to clatter him but was foiled by a bodyswerve, then Milosevic tried again but this time was foiled by a dragback. The crowd cheered loudly! Brilliant!

Like Deadly D'Jaffo, Hutch isn't the first to pop into my head when I think of the favourite players of my yoof but he was a good'un.

Bloke who used to sit behind us on John Street used to angrily shout 'run wit ball, Hutchison' approximately 25 thousand times a match. Fairly convinced he did this whether or not he was on the pitch and for a couple of years after he'd left.

Sneaked through on away goals.
Heart stopping moments late in the game.

That was the FA Cup game later on in the season. We scored a rebound off a missed penalty and Chris Short got sent off for twatting Maricco Taurrico much to the delight of everyone in the away "na na na na eeza Blade & eeza Blade"

That seemed wrong to me, as I thought he'd been at the CheatinAmmers for ages, but it's right according to Wiki:

Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1989–1990Hartlepool United24(2)
1990–1994Liverpool45(7)
1994–1996West Ham United35(11)
1996–1998Sheffield United78(5)
1998–2000Everton75(10)
2000–2001Sunderland40(8)
2001–2005West Ham United63(5)
2005Millwall11(2)
2005–2006Coventry City (loan)6(3)
2006–2007Coventry City32(1)
2007–2008Luton Town21(1)

Great player and he looked like a real Rolls Royce in the Championship (or whatever it was called then).

Back
Top Bottom