Derby 2 United 0 - report/pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast links and then report below….

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/id1508158343?i=1000547980620

---

United’s first league game for almost a calendar month saw a distinct amount of rustiness on show as they went down to a league defeat at bottom placed Derby County. Missing manager Paul Heckingbottom, the Blades were missing a number of players but against a similarly threadbare Derby side due to an even more complex range of factors, United will be disappointed they could not get anything from a side that will do well to stay in the division. Granted Derby’s position maybe false in terms of the ‘actual’ points they have games but today was a good opportunity to push up the table against a club in crisis so it was a poor return to the office.

After a first half where United shaded it and had a good chance through Sharp, the Blades did not turn up in the second half and Tom Lawrence’s two superb individual goals saw Derby deservedly win the game. United offered absolutely no resistance whatsoever and in the end, it was an easy victory for the resurgent Rams who showed far more fight than their opponents who surrended meekly.

United’s side, led pitch side at least by McCall and Lester, featured Sander Berge starting for the first time in the league since 28th August at Luton. Jack Robinson and Rhys Norrington Davies retained their places with Ben Davies still not available although Enda Stevens was on the bench. Iliman Ndiaye kept his place after his winner in the last league game at Fulham. Derby had lost Jagielka and Baldock in the week but began with the experienced Curtis Davies and Richard Stearman at the back and had another two former Blades, Colin Kazim Richards and Ravel Morrison on the bench.

United began with McGoldrick and Ndiaye just behind Sharp and had the first attack of note as Bogle ran down the right but was marshalled out of bounds drawing cheers from the fans of his former employer. Keeper Allsop was lucky to get away with the ball ricocheting off Ndiaye and away from goal after he took too long but it seemed to be catching as Foderingham did the same at the other end and kicked out of play.

United started to dominate possession and a good ball from Norwood saw the ball find Bogle and then Basham but his back heel was intercepted and Derby broke. Berge did well to run back and make a challenge and stop the break.

On 11 minutes the first opportunity came but was comfortable for Allsop who held a looping header from Egan from Robinson’s long throw.

Norwood and Berge had both seen a lot of the ball but were equally wasteful as secure in possession and after one give away it was referee Atkinson who acted as United’s best defender and got in the way frustrating the home fans. McGoldrick showed good skill then to get away and feed Ndiaye whose pull back fell for Sharp but was blocked by a defender before at the other end Foderingham was in danger of repeating his error from last week as he came dangerously close to the edge of his box but Lawrence was adjusted to have used strong arm tactics to knock him out of the box and was penalised.

United had been the better side for the opening spell and saw a lot of the ball but Derby had a good spell around the 20-minute mark with Lawrence prominent and a series of free kick give aways seeing the game become more of an even contest.

The Blades recycled possession from side to side and Norwood’s cross was angled onto the head of Sharp but his knock back was cleared by Davies just before Bogle got there and the Derby defender took a knock as he cleared and was given the free kick.

Robinson gave away a needless free kick but the delivery was cleared before the first chance came when Basham’s back header was errant and Lawrence latched onto it but toed his effort well wide.

McGoldrick then was equally wasteful at the other end as he pulled a shot well off target from the edge of the box. Basham’s poor spell saw him give away a foul but soon after we saw his weaving dribbling skills get United away from trouble. Knight then had to receive treatment after Norrington Davies drew claret from his opponent with a high foot in yet another free kick given away unnecessarily. United were able to see off any threat and then had the best chance of the game.

It arrived on the half hour mark and once again came from Robinson’s long throw with Egan heading on and Sharp getting ahead of his man but his finish was pitiful and weak – straight at the keeper. It was a great chance in a game devoid of them so far

Another chance came from United but the final part, as it had all half, was lacking as Bogle’s fall found Ndiaye but he took a heavy first touch and then after he found Berge, the Norwegian dithered and was robbed when he bad the chance of a shot.

The final part of United’s play for all the ball they had was not good enough with the creative players Berge, Ndiaye and McGoldrick not really affecting the game. Bogle had two chances to get the ball into a dangerous area but he hit one cross over the bar and another overhit soon after.

Bogle’s give away then saw Lawrence sprint away but his cross was defended before McGoldrick was adjudged to have fouled the same man, perhaps harshly as their legs tangled. The free kick was blocked before a break saw Atkinson once again in the way but Ndiaye could not get his shot away after good work from Norrington Davies. The half time whistle saw most of the noise aimed at the referee whose positional sense was rightly questioned.

Forsyth came on for Jozwiak at the break for the home side with Ebosele moving further forward for the Rams. Knight got away from Berge easily and this led to a break but Derby could not find the final pass. It was a poor spell with McGoldrick running the ball out of play as he asked for a corner but both teams were not showing any fluency. Derby to their credit were winning more tackles and the crowd were lifted by them coming out of a number of 50-50 balls and after Berge gave it away then Derby nearly got in down the side again.

Kazim Richards came on for Flange before Egan sliced out and after the ball came in from a corner soon after, Forsyth’s looping header drifted not far wide with Foderingham scrambling across. Berge, Ndiaye and McGoldrick all had the ball in the final third but each gave it away or took too long and United seemed completely out of ideas. Ndiaye had one run but McGoldrick then lost it on the edge of the box. He was taken off, along with Berge for Hourihane and Brewster just after the hour mark.

The game had been a nothing contest with no efforts on goal this half but then a superb individual goal lit up this dreary affair. Hourihane lost his block tackle and LAWRENCE was able to get on the loose ball. He went past Basham and was one on one with Egan. The centre back was sent one way and then another as the midfielder slalomed past him and then finished superbly past the stationery Foderingham. A fantastic individual goal but so easy for the midfielder to run through with not a tackle coming in from any defender.

United were unable to respond and with the crowd behind the home side, they continued to fight harder and they were actually coming forward more than the Blades who looked completely lacking in energy and idea. They gave it away when they had it and just seemed to have no pattern or shape to force Derby back with Sharp barely having a touch.

On 75 minutes, the game was effectively ended when another superb goal that was also as much about terribly bad defending. United had the ball in the Derby third but twice they lost the tackles and Ebosele came away and ran forward with purpose. He played it towards Forsyth who slipped it to LAWRENCE who took a touch, came onto his left foot (again) and was allowed to curl a great effort into the top corner. A great goal showing the desire of Derby but also the only quality on show all game from the Welsh midfielder.

Osborn came on for Robinson but the game seemed up for the Blades and Derby were able to knock it about and take the sting out of things. There was 4 minutes additional time but the visitors were completely out of ideas and the game passed without any incident and the home team eased to the win.

United – A thoroughly depressing watch. It was very Jokanovic I felt in that we began with lots of ball, possession but no quality and few chances of note. The side we played was maybe even worse in a dreadful game. Sharp missed a great chance but generally it was a game lacking any quality for over an hour. I thought we got little from our so-called creative talents in Berge, Ndiaye and McGoldrick and we looked pretty clueless and lifeless. Derby were even worse and both teams seemed to not want to keep the ball. I felt at half time we would improve and put some of it down to rustiness and lack of match practice but after the break we may as well not have bothered coming out. If I thought we lacked ideas, spark and desire first half, then second half it was far worse. The game was drifting but Derby started to show some fight and win the 50-50 balls. Lawrence looked the most likely and he along with Ebosele were the best two players on the pitch. We seemed unable to create anything. We never kept the ball, never forced them back and had no momentum. I felt it was a game that would maybe drift to 0-0 but the crowd were rousing them and they started to win tackles and put us under pressure.

The two goals were great individual goals but so avoidable. We lose tackles and 50-50’s in the build-up both, fail to halt the run of two players (second we ended up tackling our own player) and then the player we know is left footed and has so much quality, we send him on that side, not once, but twice and he scores two great shots but we have to make it harder for him. Even after the first I felt we looked out of ideas. We needed to make changes but the subs did not have any impact and were as bad as the ones that they replaced. We seemed to have no life and our legs seemed shot the longer the game went on. There was no belief we were going to get back into the game and I am not sure we even had an attack of note after they took the lead. The second killed it and our players looked totally disinterested. The bottom of the league (granted they have had a points deduction) showed a lot more fight and looked like they were playing for their lives, especially the final half hour and fought really hard. They thoroughly deserved the win for the 2nd half performance and showing quality we did not show, albeit from one/two players.

We never went past a man all game and never had an effort that really troubled the keeper all game. We never looked like scoring all game – even the Sharp effort was weak and never close to going in – granted a big chance. It looked the complete oppositive of the side Hecky has had more motivated and drilled. Maybe we missed the spark of Gibbs White but even against Fulham, he did not play and we showed some togetherness and resilience. It was a really bad 2nd half and the body language of experienced players that were largely against lesser players in terms of games played at this level (outside of the centre backs) was really disappointing. We got exactly what we deserved. Nothing. Granted the quality was poor going forward but as the saying goes, still put the effort in and win your tackles, your races etc. If we do that, they don’t run past us and score two goal and we get a 0-0 maybe. Not great but at least a point. We ended up being well beaten and Derby’s had an easy win. We looked devoid of anything and individually and collectively the second half was a side that looks like it would be nearer the bottom than top (that is where we are). Granted it is one game and we had done well for 4 or 5 before but the sample size of the season suggests sadly we are closer to today than that brief spell so that is a worry we have gone back to the same level where we are soft and got through and have lots of the ball but do nothing with it. Derby are doing well and have been really having a go but up the hour mark, they were there for the taking if we had any desire to get at them and make things happen.

The rustiness/momentum excuse can only be peddled out once so now the team has step up. We had a game last week which many played and for 60 minutes were poor in that, albeit v better players. The two second half performances the last two games have been non existent sadly and the way we have given up both games is a worry after we had shown more fight. I worry that most of the time this group the last 2 years now go behind and just give up – the Cardiff game was a rare comeback. We show little resilience when we have a goal go in or a set back. They all seem to feel sorry for themselves and we lack leadership.

Whilst we have a number of games in hand they are now are as close to the bottom three as the top six in terms of positions and it will take a very good run now for United to get back into contention with so many teams between them and a possible playoff challenge. The loss of momentum before Xmas may be a factor in slowing down the improvement but also the poor start to the season means United were already playing catch up and it is worth reflecting that even before the postponements, United were only just above half way. We have a vital week of games at Preston and at home to Luton to try and get some points on the board. If things do not go well this week, then the board/manager may already have one eye on next season. I am not sure we can afford to have many more games/performances like that or we will lose a lot more games than we win and we need to be doing the opposite of that to get in the mix.

I would love us to move out the likes of Mousset, McBurnie, Burke and a few others who seemingly do not have a future at the club but you would have to find takers. It seems we may struggle to get anyone with Bettis saying when we made the managerial change, he did not expect many incomers in January. So, it rests with the players we have and we need to see a lot more spark out of them than today. It is worrying that out of contract players Sharp, McGoldrick and Basham are still probably our three best players outside of MGW. Many still here long term we will be stuck with.

Ratings:

Foderingham 5/10 – Not much chance with the goals, certainly the second although did the first go in off the near post – could not tell. Had a few ropey moments though in open play with one kicked out, then nearly took it out of his area again. Not much to do though and the only shots they had went in! Can’t give him more than 5 as he did more wrong that right and made no saves (not his fault).

Bogle 4/10 – Started by running it out of play but at least was involved early. Well up the field and a few bright moments early but then got worse as the game went on and kicked two hopeless crosses out of play. He had one good run where he ran through and played Ndiaye in who miscontrolled. He seemed to then lose his position defensively and not much help when they ran at us. Did not see anything of him attacking wise 2nd half at all.

Norrington Davies 4/10 – I have to say, he looks poor. I am yet to see what he offers. He put one decent ball in early but that was it. His other passes/crosses hit the first man and then he fouled them a few times with clumsy challenges – one where he nearly took a players head off. He does not seem to know where to go defensively and lacks pace/strength both ways. Looks a lower league player to me. I know I may get criticised for that but I am yet to see what his qualities are. Enda has been bad for two seasons but is still preferrable to him. That is telling.

Basham 4.5/10 – Not his best day. He began ok enough but then a poor header put Lawrence in. A few free kick give aways and then one mazy dribble apart, he seemed to be a bit error strewn. Not sure we saw him get out of our half second half and the first goal he just lets Lawrence run past him. All the defence were too easy to get past on both goals.

Robinson 4.5/10 – He was no worse than anyone else but that is not to say he was good! He at least assisted on our only two chances with long throws but then started giving it away and was also guilty of some daft fouls. The second goal he comes across and takes RND completely out which summed him up sadly. We need to bring in someone else if Davies is not going to be available. I would rather us even play Gordon (yes, I know the left/right foot thing comes into it) and plan for the future especially if the playoffs do go out of reach. Robinson is not the future so we would be better playing a young lad.

Egan 4.5/10 – He was one of our better players early on and had a header at the keeper and then set up Sharp and was a threat. He also made some tackles and blocks but then sliced one out before half time. I thought he was one of our better players first half but then second half he of course made an awful attempt to stop Lawrence on the goal who completely bamboozled him and sent him this way and that and looked like Van Aken on the Duffy goal. No protection but still needs to show him on his right foot.

Norwood 5/10 – Probably get called for this but thought he was our best outfield player. Once again that is more about how bad the rest was. He at least played a few decent balls and did not hide at all. He of course played a few straight to them too! He was not great by any stretch but saw more of the ball and at least tried to move it around. It was a low bar and he also saw players go past him too.

Berge 4/10 – I thought he was massively disappointing. I have never been his biggest fan and feel he lacks aggression and desire to be a top player. I have always said that but feel he does have talent and technical ability. Today he showed that same lack of desire but also hid, gave the ball away when he had it and then struggled to create anything for someone who can show quality. We saw one run back early where he held them up and I was like finally some desire but then offensively he gave it away time after time and was way too slow to make decisions. Jogged around and for the most part looked like he was playing a practice game. Maybe he is adjusting to the match speed but been waiting two years for that. We would really struggle to get close to what we paid now and is not exactly showing that he is good enough of playing in a top league in Europe. Needs to wake up fast if he wants to show clubs the talent, he did a few years ago. We have seen very little from him (injuries not helped) for a long time now. The sort of game where a player like him should really stamp his mark.

Ndiaye 4.5/10 – I like the lad but it did not work for him at all today. He had one or two runs but often he came the wrong way or got harried out of it. He had a few chances on the angle but his touch was poor. He seemed to really struggle and I think would have come off long before he did but the others were just as bad so he stayed on almost by default. Got booked for showing his frustrations at the end.

McGoldrick 4/10 – As above. Nothing worked. He tried to get on it but his touch was appalling today and kept spooning off him. One good run where he swerved away from his man and set up a break, I cannot recall much he did right. He was appalling second half as he every second touch was a tackle and kept giving it away. Rightly subbed but as I say anyone could have been pulled at that stage.

Sharp 4/10 – Tried hard but he missed an absolute sitter. He never saw much of the ball at all though outside of this one big chance. Ran offside a few times. I actually felt the odd times he had it, he did ok with some hold up play but had little help or players around him. Started to get annoyed near the end with a few moments where he lost his cool a bit but was more frustrated at how the game had gone as much as the Derby fans who were giving him a hard time.

Subs –

Hourihane 3/10 – Pathetic. Came on and missed numerous tackles, two that led to the two goals and offered nothing at all when he had the ball but allowed Derby players to run off him. I did not think we could get worse but we did when he came on!

Brewster 4/10 – Never in the game at all. He did not have any service but other than one run out and backheel I forgot he was playing.

Osborn – Pointless change. We are 2-0 down. We may as well have put Burke on at this stage. Not sure what he offers as a sub when we are chasing the game?

Manager:

Heckingbottom/McCall/Lester 3/10 – Can it be counted as his first loss if he is not there? Not sure how that works with stats but suppose he is the manager but would he go down on the team sheet to the referee as such?

Hard to rate the manager directly with him not being at the ground due to covid so suppose this is more of a mark for the managerial team. I am guessing even though Hecky had some link up with McCall/Lester that it was them doing the team talk/s and adjusting things in game/subs with maybe some input from him. Hecky said it was a bit like being in the stands but not sure it is quite the same if he is not there even with technology, we have available. I do have a vision of Hecky on a big screen giving the pre match talk a bit like those instructions pre task on the Apprentice from Alan Sugar.

Anyway, whatever they said it did not work and we had no rea clear plan, no pattern of play and whatever was said at half time, wish they had not said it. The changes did not work but then not sure anyone who went off could argue either.

Derby – Got to give them and Rooney massive credit. The points deduction/s they have had and problems off the pitch that continues in terms of ownership that has not been resolved means they have done well to really be competitive. They have won a number of games and shown some real spirit with a mixture of experience, youth and lots of former Blades or with connections. I wrote Rooney off last season and felt he was another Keane, Platt, Waddle, Ince, Robson, Neville that had played the game at a high level but struggled with the managerial side. He looked like he did not have a clue last season how to get a tune out of a fairly decent squad that plummeted and were lucky to stay up. This season though he had galvanised them and got them playing with tremendous spirit and it has almost brought the team together with an almost siege like mentality. They would be mid table if not for the deductions. Fair play to them. They of course lost Jags this week due to money issues meaning they could not extend his contract but still have some players all over the field that possess experience and talent. The fact they are even close to some of the teams at the bottom, points wise says how well they have done and how bad teams like Barnsley and Peterborough.

They of course need to sort out the ownership issues quickly as there are fears they could struggle to pay players but if Mike Ashley comes in, then longer term you would have concerns due to his frugality at Newcastle but he may at least be able to prop them up for a while. Interesting some clubs have bid for players (one of whom is allegedly in a legal wrangle with them – Middlesbrough) but Derby have turned them down saying the offers are so low. I think Wycombe also have a legal case against them after the points deduction did not happen last season – similar to the Tevez situation in some ways. They have a lot of mess to sort out and cannot sign players. They are losing short term players like Jagielka and Baldock too and you think it will be hard for them to stay up despite them having a real go – can easily see them finishing 3rd bottom. The squad will be so stretched with so many youngsters being called on and many games being re-arranged, that they will surely not be able to keep the positive momentum up? We will see. I think they need to ensure they don’t end up going through the league, a la Portsmouth and somehow sort out the finances first before they can think about achieving proper success on the field. I do wonder if Rooney may move on end of season especially now, he has kind of salvaged his reputation and may seek a more stable club – it is real kudos to his professionalism that he could have easily walked. He does not exactly need the money or the hassle.

Today they sat back first half and played on the break but soaked anything up fairly easily. We did have that one big chance and if that goes in, then it’s different but whilst they did little going forward, they did not have to deal with much pressure. As the game went on, they grew stronger and looked fitter despite having played many more games. They showed some real desire and won the bits and pieces that led to two great goals.

Opponent Man of the Match – Best two players on the pitch were Ebosele and Lawrence. The former was great and a real threat going forward but did well defensively too first half but made more of an impact going forward the other way and exposed the play of Norrington Davies. Set up the second with a great run but had a few like that. However, the man of the match is easy – Lawrence. Two great goals and the main threat. Looked more creative and aggressive in his play than any of our players and the best player on the field by a long way.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was awful but in the same way outside the two above, not sure anyone was great. They were all quite average but the centre halves did what they had to. Plange struggled and had little impact and came off though so was maybe the least effective.

Referee/Officials – Scheduled to be Graham Scott but ended up being Martin Atkinson? Not sure why the change occurred. He got in the way twice that led to us breaking and you could see why Derby fans were annoyed. Indeed, we seemed to get more of the decisions save for the McGoldrick one on Lawrence which was not a foul. He was maybe our best player in the end! He was booed off both halves even though they won. Weird to have a ref who seemed to favour us and the opponents still won easily. Cannot recall that ever happening much in my United lifetime.

Great report Deadbat. A truly terrible performance from each and every one of them. Today we had Bogle, Robinson and Norrington Davis who aren't good enough, Berge and Hourihane (when he came on) didn't care enough.

N'diaye is a talent and may make it, but the rest are pretty much a ragbag outfit of average league one footballers who look like a decent side one week and fucking dire the next.

Can only argue with any player rating over a 4......utter dog shite today, not a single positive to take away....the shenanigans at the train station afterwards for 5 minutes was more entertaining.

I’d have said Egan was the only decent player today 6/10. Wes probably a 5/10. The rest 4/10 max.

A defence with Bogle, Robinson and RND in it was never going to keep a clean sheet. They are all poor defenders, consistently lose their man and are unaware of what is going on around them. The first goal illustrated everything that is wrong with our midfield. Any other team in the division would have taken Lawrence out before the penalty box.

The biggest concern is the lack of match preparedness. There was nothing in the tank second half. Yes we've had some time off and covid to deal with but with a game last week you would have expected more energy. In a week when we have appointed a convoluted Youth consultant post another 7 days have passed without the critical position of Head of Sports Science being filled. Add in vacancies for a first team goalkeeping coach, match day analyst and physio and it begs the question why is PH having to operate with a shoestring mgt. team that ultimately leads to plate spinning at an important time.

We are at the halfway point of the season yet we show little sign of mounting a promotion challenge. PH has at least moved us further away from relegation with the recent upturn in form. Our problem is we don't deal with adversity as a club very well. A little setback with games being postponed and when it goes against us as it did to-day heads go down.

Halfway through the JTW and no evidence to date of the manager being supported by the Board. We need a CB and probably a goalkeeper as a minimum but consistent with the ineptitude of our recruitment strategy it looks like PH will have to wait for the last day of the window before any movement occurs if it does then.

I live in hope that to-day was a one off but we have seen performances like to-day too many times over the last 22 months. Still waiting to hear from our illustrious leaders what the new strategic vision is for the Club. As their enforced silence continues you are left to speculate that the strategy is tantamount to spend little, don't fill vacancies, expect everyone to be jack of all trades and assume all will come right in the end.

I can take the 2-0 defeat. But that performance was shite. I applauded the Derby fans when I left, as their team showed so much spirit (we sadly lacked) in the face of such adversity.

Ratings:

Foderingham 5/10 – Not much chance with the goals, certainly the second although did the first go in off the near post – could not tell. Had a few ropey moments though in open play with one kicked out, then nearly took it out of his area again. Not much to do though and the only shots they had went in! Can’t give him more than 5 as he did more wrong that right and made no saves (not his fault).

Bogle 4/10 – Started by running it out of play but at least was involved early. Well up the field and a few bright moments early but then got worse as the game went on and kicked two hopeless crosses out of play. He had one good run where he ran through and played Ndiaye in who miscontrolled. He seemed to then lose his position defensively and not much help when they ran at us. Did not see anything of him attacking wise 2nd half at all.

Norrington Davies 4/10 – I have to say, he looks poor. I am yet to see what he offers. He put one decent ball in early but that was it. His other passes/crosses hit the first man and then he fouled them a few times with clumsy challenges – one where he nearly took a players head off. He does not seem to know where to go defensively and lacks pace/strength both ways. Looks a lower league player to me. I know I may get criticised for that but I am yet to see what his qualities are. Enda has been bad for two seasons but is still preferrable to him. That is telling.

Basham 4.5/10 – Not his best day. He began ok enough but then a poor header put Lawrence in. A few free kick give aways and then one mazy dribble apart, he seemed to be a bit error strewn. Not sure we saw him get out of our half second half and the first goal he just lets Lawrence run past him. All the defence were too easy to get past on both goals.

Robinson 4.5/10 – He was no worse than anyone else but that is not to say he was good! He at least assisted on our only two chances with long throws but then started giving it away and was also guilty of some daft fouls. The second goal he comes across and takes RND completely out which summed him up sadly. We need to bring in someone else if Davies is not going to be available. I would rather us even play Gordon (yes, I know the left/right foot thing comes into it) and plan for the future especially if the playoffs do go out of reach. Robinson is not the future so we would be better playing a young lad.

Egan 4.5/10 – He was one of our better players early on and had a header at the keeper and then set up Sharp and was a threat. He also made some tackles and blocks but then sliced one out before half time. I thought he was one of our better players first half but then second half he of course made an awful attempt to stop Lawrence on the goal who completely bamboozled him and sent him this way and that and looked like Van Aken on the Duffy goal. No protection but still needs to show him on his right foot.

Norwood 5/10 – Probably get called for this but thought he was our best outfield player. Once again that is more about how bad the rest was. He at least played a few decent balls and did not hide at all. He of course played a few straight to them too! He was not great by any stretch but saw more of the ball and at least tried to move it around. It was a low bar and he also saw players go past him too.

Berge 4/10 – I thought he was massively disappointing. I have never been his biggest fan and feel he lacks aggression and desire to be a top player. I have always said that but feel he does have talent and technical ability. Today he showed that same lack of desire but also hid, gave the ball away when he had it and then struggled to create anything for someone who can show quality. We saw one run back early where he held them up and I was like finally some desire but then offensively he gave it away time after time and was way too slow to make decisions. Jogged around and for the most part looked like he was playing a practice game. Maybe he is adjusting to the match speed but been waiting two years for that. We would really struggle to get close to what we paid now and is not exactly showing that he is good enough of playing in a top league in Europe. Needs to wake up fast if he wants to show clubs the talent, he did a few years ago. We have seen very little from him (injuries not helped) for a long time now. The sort of game where a player like him should really stamp his mark.

Ndiaye 4.5/10 – I like the lad but it did not work for him at all today. He had one or two runs but often he came the wrong way or got harried out of it. He had a few chances on the angle but his touch was poor. He seemed to really struggle and I think would have come off long before he did but the others were just as bad so he stayed on almost by default. Got booked for showing his frustrations at the end.

McGoldrick 4/10 – As above. Nothing worked. He tried to get on it but his touch was appalling today and kept spooning off him. One good run where he swerved away from his man and set up a break, I cannot recall much he did right. He was appalling second half as he every second touch was a tackle and kept giving it away. Rightly subbed but as I say anyone could have been pulled at that stage.

Sharp 4/10 – Tried hard but he missed an absolute sitter. He never saw much of the ball at all though outside of this one big chance. Ran offside a few times. I actually felt the odd times he had it, he did ok with some hold up play but had little help or players around him. Started to get annoyed near the end with a few moments where he lost his cool a bit but was more frustrated at how the game had gone as much as the Derby fans who were giving him a hard time.

Subs –

Hourihane 3/10 – Pathetic. Came on and missed numerous tackles, two that led to the two goals and offered nothing at all when he had the ball but allowed Derby players to run off him. I did not think we could get worse but we did when he came on!

Brewster 4/10 – Never in the game at all. He did not have any service but other than one run out and backheel I forgot he was playing.

Osborn – Pointless change. We are 2-0 down. We may as well have put Burke on at this stage. Not sure what he offers as a sub when we are chasing the game?

Manager:

Heckingbottom/McCall/Lester 3/10 – Can it be counted as his first loss if he is not there? Not sure how that works with stats but suppose he is the manager but would he go down on the team sheet to the referee as such?

Hard to rate the manager directly with him not being at the ground due to covid so suppose this is more of a mark for the managerial team. I am guessing even though Hecky had some link up with McCall/Lester that it was them doing the team talk/s and adjusting things in game/subs with maybe some input from him. Hecky said it was a bit like being in the stands but not sure it is quite the same if he is not there even with technology, we have available. I do have a vision of Hecky on a big screen giving the pre match talk a bit like those instructions pre task on the Apprentice from Alan Sugar.

Anyway, whatever they said it did not work and we had no rea clear plan, no pattern of play and whatever was said at half time, wish they had not said it. The changes did not work but then not sure anyone who went off could argue either.

Derby – Got to give them and Rooney massive credit. The points deduction/s they have had and problems off the pitch that continues in terms of ownership that has not been resolved means they have done well to really be competitive. They have won a number of games and shown some real spirit with a mixture of experience, youth and lots of former Blades or with connections. I wrote Rooney off last season and felt he was another Keane, Platt, Waddle, Ince, Robson, Neville that had played the game at a high level but struggled with the managerial side. He looked like he did not have a clue last season how to get a tune out of a fairly decent squad that plummeted and were lucky to stay up. This season though he had galvanised them and got them playing with tremendous spirit and it has almost brought the team together with an almost siege like mentality. They would be mid table if not for the deductions. Fair play to them. They of course lost Jags this week due to money issues meaning they could not extend his contract but still have some players all over the field that possess experience and talent. The fact they are even close to some of the teams at the bottom, points wise says how well they have done and how bad teams like Barnsley and Peterborough.

They of course need to sort out the ownership issues quickly as there are fears they could struggle to pay players but if Mike Ashley comes in, then longer term you would have concerns due to his frugality at Newcastle but he may at least be able to prop them up for a while. Interesting some clubs have bid for players (one of whom is allegedly in a legal wrangle with them – Middlesbrough) but Derby have turned them down saying the offers are so low. I think Wycombe also have a legal case against them after the points deduction did not happen last season – similar to the Tevez situation in some ways. They have a lot of mess to sort out and cannot sign players. They are losing short term players like Jagielka and Baldock too and you think it will be hard for them to stay up despite them having a real go – can easily see them finishing 3rd bottom. The squad will be so stretched with so many youngsters being called on and many games being re-arranged, that they will surely not be able to keep the positive momentum up? We will see. I think they need to ensure they don’t end up going through the league, a la Portsmouth and somehow sort out the finances first before they can think about achieving proper success on the field. I do wonder if Rooney may move on end of season especially now, he has kind of salvaged his reputation and may seek a more stable club – it is real kudos to his professionalism that he could have easily walked. He does not exactly need the money or the hassle.

Today they sat back first half and played on the break but soaked anything up fairly easily. We did have that one big chance and if that goes in, then it’s different but whilst they did little going forward, they did not have to deal with much pressure. As the game went on, they grew stronger and looked fitter despite having played many more games. They showed some real desire and won the bits and pieces that led to two great goals.

Opponent Man of the Match – Best two players on the pitch were Ebosele and Lawrence. The former was great and a real threat going forward but did well defensively too first half but made more of an impact going forward the other way and exposed the play of Norrington Davies. Set up the second with a great run but had a few like that. However, the man of the match is easy – Lawrence. Two great goals and the main threat. Looked more creative and aggressive in his play than any of our players and the best player on the field by a long way.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was awful but in the same way outside the two above, not sure anyone was great. They were all quite average but the centre halves did what they had to. Plange struggled and had little impact and came off though so was maybe the least effective.

Referee/Officials – Scheduled to be Graham Scott but ended up being Martin Atkinson? Not sure why the change occurred. He got in the way twice that led to us breaking and you could see why Derby fans were annoyed. Indeed, we seemed to get more of the decisions save for the McGoldrick one on Lawrence which was not a foul. He was maybe our best player in the end! He was booed off both halves even though they won. Weird to have a ref who seemed to favour us and the opponents still won easily. Cannot recall that ever happening much in my United lifetime.
RND can only cross when he's got behind a defence. Great then, but so is Stevens. I think RND is a carthorse. Clumsy, poor technique. Not that quick really. No seeing it, at all. I'd rather have given Lowe more chance. At least he's more dangerous going forward.

Anyone know what Basham was inhaling in the 2nd half? He was thrown 2 items, first one he snorted and the 2nd he drank.

Podcast links and then report below….

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/id1508158343?i=1000547980620

---

United’s first league game for almost a calendar month saw a distinct amount of rustiness on show as they went down to a league defeat at bottom placed Derby County. Missing manager Paul Heckingbottom, the Blades were missing a number of players but against a similarly threadbare Derby side due to an even more complex range of factors, United will be disappointed they could not get anything from a side that will do well to stay in the division. Granted Derby’s position maybe false in terms of the ‘actual’ points they have games but today was a good opportunity to push up the table against a club in crisis so it was a poor return to the office.

After a first half where United shaded it and had a good chance through Sharp, the Blades did not turn up in the second half and Tom Lawrence’s two superb individual goals saw Derby deservedly win the game. United offered absolutely no resistance whatsoever and in the end, it was an easy victory for the resurgent Rams who showed far more fight than their opponents who surrended meekly.

United’s side, led pitch side at least by McCall and Lester, featured Sander Berge starting for the first time in the league since 28th August at Luton. Jack Robinson and Rhys Norrington Davies retained their places with Ben Davies still not available although Enda Stevens was on the bench. Iliman Ndiaye kept his place after his winner in the last league game at Fulham. Derby had lost Jagielka and Baldock in the week but began with the experienced Curtis Davies and Richard Stearman at the back and had another two former Blades, Colin Kazim Richards and Ravel Morrison on the bench.

United began with McGoldrick and Ndiaye just behind Sharp and had the first attack of note as Bogle ran down the right but was marshalled out of bounds drawing cheers from the fans of his former employer. Keeper Allsop was lucky to get away with the ball ricocheting off Ndiaye and away from goal after he took too long but it seemed to be catching as Foderingham did the same at the other end and kicked out of play.

United started to dominate possession and a good ball from Norwood saw the ball find Bogle and then Basham but his back heel was intercepted and Derby broke. Berge did well to run back and make a challenge and stop the break.

On 11 minutes the first opportunity came but was comfortable for Allsop who held a looping header from Egan from Robinson’s long throw.

Norwood and Berge had both seen a lot of the ball but were equally wasteful as secure in possession and after one give away it was referee Atkinson who acted as United’s best defender and got in the way frustrating the home fans. McGoldrick showed good skill then to get away and feed Ndiaye whose pull back fell for Sharp but was blocked by a defender before at the other end Foderingham was in danger of repeating his error from last week as he came dangerously close to the edge of his box but Lawrence was adjusted to have used strong arm tactics to knock him out of the box and was penalised.

United had been the better side for the opening spell and saw a lot of the ball but Derby had a good spell around the 20-minute mark with Lawrence prominent and a series of free kick give aways seeing the game become more of an even contest.

The Blades recycled possession from side to side and Norwood’s cross was angled onto the head of Sharp but his knock back was cleared by Davies just before Bogle got there and the Derby defender took a knock as he cleared and was given the free kick.

Robinson gave away a needless free kick but the delivery was cleared before the first chance came when Basham’s back header was errant and Lawrence latched onto it but toed his effort well wide.

McGoldrick then was equally wasteful at the other end as he pulled a shot well off target from the edge of the box. Basham’s poor spell saw him give away a foul but soon after we saw his weaving dribbling skills get United away from trouble. Knight then had to receive treatment after Norrington Davies drew claret from his opponent with a high foot in yet another free kick given away unnecessarily. United were able to see off any threat and then had the best chance of the game.

It arrived on the half hour mark and once again came from Robinson’s long throw with Egan heading on and Sharp getting ahead of his man but his finish was pitiful and weak – straight at the keeper. It was a great chance in a game devoid of them so far

Another chance came from United but the final part, as it had all half, was lacking as Bogle’s fall found Ndiaye but he took a heavy first touch and then after he found Berge, the Norwegian dithered and was robbed when he bad the chance of a shot.

The final part of United’s play for all the ball they had was not good enough with the creative players Berge, Ndiaye and McGoldrick not really affecting the game. Bogle had two chances to get the ball into a dangerous area but he hit one cross over the bar and another overhit soon after.

Bogle’s give away then saw Lawrence sprint away but his cross was defended before McGoldrick was adjudged to have fouled the same man, perhaps harshly as their legs tangled. The free kick was blocked before a break saw Atkinson once again in the way but Ndiaye could not get his shot away after good work from Norrington Davies. The half time whistle saw most of the noise aimed at the referee whose positional sense was rightly questioned.

Forsyth came on for Jozwiak at the break for the home side with Ebosele moving further forward for the Rams. Knight got away from Berge easily and this led to a break but Derby could not find the final pass. It was a poor spell with McGoldrick running the ball out of play as he asked for a corner but both teams were not showing any fluency. Derby to their credit were winning more tackles and the crowd were lifted by them coming out of a number of 50-50 balls and after Berge gave it away then Derby nearly got in down the side again.

Kazim Richards came on for Flange before Egan sliced out and after the ball came in from a corner soon after, Forsyth’s looping header drifted not far wide with Foderingham scrambling across. Berge, Ndiaye and McGoldrick all had the ball in the final third but each gave it away or took too long and United seemed completely out of ideas. Ndiaye had one run but McGoldrick then lost it on the edge of the box. He was taken off, along with Berge for Hourihane and Brewster just after the hour mark.

The game had been a nothing contest with no efforts on goal this half but then a superb individual goal lit up this dreary affair. Hourihane lost his block tackle and LAWRENCE was able to get on the loose ball. He went past Basham and was one on one with Egan. The centre back was sent one way and then another as the midfielder slalomed past him and then finished superbly past the stationery Foderingham. A fantastic individual goal but so easy for the midfielder to run through with not a tackle coming in from any defender.

United were unable to respond and with the crowd behind the home side, they continued to fight harder and they were actually coming forward more than the Blades who looked completely lacking in energy and idea. They gave it away when they had it and just seemed to have no pattern or shape to force Derby back with Sharp barely having a touch.

On 75 minutes, the game was effectively ended when another superb goal that was also as much about terribly bad defending. United had the ball in the Derby third but twice they lost the tackles and Ebosele came away and ran forward with purpose. He played it towards Forsyth who slipped it to LAWRENCE who took a touch, came onto his left foot (again) and was allowed to curl a great effort into the top corner. A great goal showing the desire of Derby but also the only quality on show all game from the Welsh midfielder.

Osborn came on for Robinson but the game seemed up for the Blades and Derby were able to knock it about and take the sting out of things. There was 4 minutes additional time but the visitors were completely out of ideas and the game passed without any incident and the home team eased to the win.

United – A thoroughly depressing watch. It was very Jokanovic I felt in that we began with lots of ball, possession but no quality and few chances of note. The side we played was maybe even worse in a dreadful game. Sharp missed a great chance but generally it was a game lacking any quality for over an hour. I thought we got little from our so-called creative talents in Berge, Ndiaye and McGoldrick and we looked pretty clueless and lifeless. Derby were even worse and both teams seemed to not want to keep the ball. I felt at half time we would improve and put some of it down to rustiness and lack of match practice but after the break we may as well not have bothered coming out. If I thought we lacked ideas, spark and desire first half, then second half it was far worse. The game was drifting but Derby started to show some fight and win the 50-50 balls. Lawrence looked the most likely and he along with Ebosele were the best two players on the pitch. We seemed unable to create anything. We never kept the ball, never forced them back and had no momentum. I felt it was a game that would maybe drift to 0-0 but the crowd were rousing them and they started to win tackles and put us under pressure.

The two goals were great individual goals but so avoidable. We lose tackles and 50-50’s in the build-up both, fail to halt the run of two players (second we ended up tackling our own player) and then the player we know is left footed and has so much quality, we send him on that side, not once, but twice and he scores two great shots but we have to make it harder for him. Even after the first I felt we looked out of ideas. We needed to make changes but the subs did not have any impact and were as bad as the ones that they replaced. We seemed to have no life and our legs seemed shot the longer the game went on. There was no belief we were going to get back into the game and I am not sure we even had an attack of note after they took the lead. The second killed it and our players looked totally disinterested. The bottom of the league (granted they have had a points deduction) showed a lot more fight and looked like they were playing for their lives, especially the final half hour and fought really hard. They thoroughly deserved the win for the 2nd half performance and showing quality we did not show, albeit from one/two players.

We never went past a man all game and never had an effort that really troubled the keeper all game. We never looked like scoring all game – even the Sharp effort was weak and never close to going in – granted a big chance. It looked the complete oppositive of the side Hecky has had more motivated and drilled. Maybe we missed the spark of Gibbs White but even against Fulham, he did not play and we showed some togetherness and resilience. It was a really bad 2nd half and the body language of experienced players that were largely against lesser players in terms of games played at this level (outside of the centre backs) was really disappointing. We got exactly what we deserved. Nothing. Granted the quality was poor going forward but as the saying goes, still put the effort in and win your tackles, your races etc. If we do that, they don’t run past us and score two goal and we get a 0-0 maybe. Not great but at least a point. We ended up being well beaten and Derby’s had an easy win. We looked devoid of anything and individually and collectively the second half was a side that looks like it would be nearer the bottom than top (that is where we are). Granted it is one game and we had done well for 4 or 5 before but the sample size of the season suggests sadly we are closer to today than that brief spell so that is a worry we have gone back to the same level where we are soft and got through and have lots of the ball but do nothing with it. Derby are doing well and have been really having a go but up the hour mark, they were there for the taking if we had any desire to get at them and make things happen.

The rustiness/momentum excuse can only be peddled out once so now the team has step up. We had a game last week which many played and for 60 minutes were poor in that, albeit v better players. The two second half performances the last two games have been non existent sadly and the way we have given up both games is a worry after we had shown more fight. I worry that most of the time this group the last 2 years now go behind and just give up – the Cardiff game was a rare comeback. We show little resilience when we have a goal go in or a set back. They all seem to feel sorry for themselves and we lack leadership.

Whilst we have a number of games in hand they are now are as close to the bottom three as the top six in terms of positions and it will take a very good run now for United to get back into contention with so many teams between them and a possible playoff challenge. The loss of momentum before Xmas may be a factor in slowing down the improvement but also the poor start to the season means United were already playing catch up and it is worth reflecting that even before the postponements, United were only just above half way. We have a vital week of games at Preston and at home to Luton to try and get some points on the board. If things do not go well this week, then the board/manager may already have one eye on next season. I am not sure we can afford to have many more games/performances like that or we will lose a lot more games than we win and we need to be doing the opposite of that to get in the mix.

I would love us to move out the likes of Mousset, McBurnie, Burke and a few others who seemingly do not have a future at the club but you would have to find takers. It seems we may struggle to get anyone with Bettis saying when we made the managerial change, he did not expect many incomers in January. So, it rests with the players we have and we need to see a lot more spark out of them than today. It is worrying that out of contract players Sharp, McGoldrick and Basham are still probably our three best players outside of MGW. Many still here long term we will be stuck with.

We are pretty much fucked by the pile of disinterested crap that Wilder has left us stuck with - if I hadn't lived through every agonising month of our fall from Spring 2020 I would never have believed it possible.
It's a self inflicted nightmare which will continue to play out for ages yet.
The end of the parachute payments looms large.

A defence with Bogle, Robinson and RND in it was never going to keep a clean sheet. They are all poor defenders, consistently lose their man and are unaware of what is going on around them. The first goal illustrated everything that is wrong with our midfield. Any other team in the division would have taken Lawrence out before the penalty box.

The biggest concern is the lack of match preparedness. There was nothing in the tank second half. Yes we've had some time off and covid to deal with but with a game last week you would have expected more energy. In a week when we have appointed a convoluted Youth consultant post another 7 days have passed without the critical position of Head of Sports Science being filled. Add in vacancies for a first team goalkeeping coach, match day analyst and physio and it begs the question why is PH having to operate with a shoestring mgt. team that ultimately leads to plate spinning at an important time.

We are at the halfway point of the season yet we show little sign of mounting a promotion challenge. PH has at least moved us further away from relegation with the recent upturn in form. Our problem is we don't deal with adversity as a club very well. A little setback with games being postponed and when it goes against us as it did to-day heads go down.

Halfway through the JTW and no evidence to date of the manager being supported by the Board. We need a CB and probably a goalkeeper as a minimum but consistent with the ineptitude of our recruitment strategy it looks like PH will have to wait for the last day of the window before any movement occurs if it does then.

I live in hope that to-day was a one off but we have seen performances like to-day too many times over the last 22 months. Still waiting to hear from our illustrious leaders what the new strategic vision is for the Club. As their enforced silence continues you are left to speculate that the strategy is tantamount to spend little, don't fill vacancies, expect everyone to be jack of all trades and assume all will come right in the end.
Keep your eyes peeled for planning applications for development of the Lane - it is well understood that the owner cannot fund a Championship club after the parachutes - no point trying to ignore this clear fact.
If they are pinching pennies even now , the implications are clear.
He was Minister of Sport in Saudi but hasn't brought a single cent of Saudi money and now they've bought the Barcodes.
He's bought EU clubs in a time of Brexit.
If he doesn't find investment or a buyer , he will dump us.
We cost him virtually nowt so he's nothing to recoup apart from the freehold.
All his family & friends & representatives have left the UK and his ignorant lawyer told us at that appalling press conference that they're off into hiding.
We've had our low-budget fluke against the odds in 2019 and blown it all away.
The Prince must know lightning ain't gonna strike twice.
And from their body language , the players certainly do.

Whilst I don't think that we played well, we certainly weren't as awful as some have suggested.
We were simply missing that one or two players at the top of the pitch to unlock their back line with a bit of skill/flair. And our final ball was lacking.
The defence managed their attackers well for the most part however we were punished by 2 pieces of individual quality from Lawrence. The first you could possibly argue that we stood off him too much and allowed him to advance without a real challenge and the second was a fantastic finish.
That was the real difference. They took their 2 chances whilst we wasted ours.
We controlled the ball for large spells with Norwood spreading the play well and getting others into good positions however we wasted some very good attacks with poor balls into the box. Both Bogle and RND were poor with their crossing, either hitting the first man or sailing the ball out of play.
When we did get a decent ball in, we were either wasteful (Billy on a couple of occasions) or their defence made some great last ditch tackles.
Derby almost played an away from home style, Sitting in and being solid in defence before getting the ball up the pitch quickly and trying to get in behind us.
There were clear signs that we were lacking match sharpness after having a month without a league game.
Hopefully we can turn it around quickly with games coming thick and fast from now on.
Hopefully we can get MGW back into the club sooner rather than later as a player of his style is exactly what we were missing yesterday. If not we need someone similar to come in. Someone who will run at the opposition with pace and turn them around/get in behind them and create some quality chances.
Just one last thing.
Derby are bottom of the league after a points deduction. This is a false position. They have achieved some positive results against the top teams in this league.
I still remain optimistic that we will be challenging in the top 6 but it wont be all plain sailing.

Anyone know what Basham was inhaling in the 2nd half? He was thrown 2 items, first one he snorted and the 2nd he drank.

I doubt it was anything more substantial than an energy gel thing and some smelling salts....if it was anything stronger it didn't have the desired affect!

As depressing a read as it is, thanks for the effort DB!

Hard to disagree with anything. It wasn’t the worst performance of the season, but it’s possibly the most disappointing. It’s not the formation, it’s not the manager, it’s not the line up; we’re just a bog standard boring lower mid-table team.

Whilst I don't think that we played well, we certainly weren't as awful as some have said

I thought we were awful. We created nothing apart from one long throw. Our passing, dribbling, link play and fluidity was poor all game. We gave away two horrible goals where they ran from half way and did not tackle/close down.

When we went behind the heads completely dropped which has happened almost every time we have trailed the last few years. Basically if we concede first we lose invariably.

I think we might push up a bit as we have some poor teams coming up but have not shown the consistency or desire to win enough games to mount a playoff bid. It looks a season that will simply fade out with over 4 months left.

There needs to be some clear planning to completely overhaul this squad now whose cycle is at an end. There is no point holding onto 10-12 players who are regressing and we have seen the best of them already. We need decisive action this summer and a bit of a cull. People may say their value is much lower but these players are not going to improve (Brewster may be the only one and shown no evidence of that) so I'd be circulating a good portion of the squads names. We need a big rebuild and it needs to start ASAP.

Ratings:

Subs –

Manager:

Not sure I agree with all of that this week, but still a big thanks for your effort.
Norwood was shocking, I thought RND was our most potent threat in the first half with his runs.
Why oh why did we just run it down the wings and try (try!) to put crosses in when you have two ageing defenders in there that aren't mobile but can just hold their ground and deal with everything coming in from the wings! it needed some clever passing and runs at them, we just don't have that capability, hard work and graft is not enough, we need some quality, hard times ahead methinks.

hard work and graft is not enough, we need some quality, hard times ahead methinks.

Hard work and graft would be a start though. Too many of them didn’t look like they wanted to get involved, or even run much.

Many of these players haven’t been good enough under three managers now, so what’s the only common denominator? Big clear-out needed.

They're all just picking up their wages now. Just like Wilder before he eventually fucked off. UTB

I thought we were awful. We created nothing apart from one long throw. Our passing, dribbling, link play and fluidity was poor all game. We gave away two horrible goals where they ran from half way and did not tackle/close down.

When we went behind the heads completely dropped which has happened almost every time we have trailed the last few years. Basically if we concede first we lose invariably.

I think we might push up a bit as we have some poor teams coming up but have not shown the consistency or desire to win enough games to mount a playoff bid. It looks a season that will simply fade out with over 4 months left.

There needs to be some clear planning to completely overhaul this squad now whose cycle is at an end. There is no point holding onto 10-12 players who are regressing and we have seen the best of them already. We need decisive action this summer and a bit of a cull. People may say their value is much lower but these players are not going to improve (Brewster may be the only one and shown no evidence of that) so I'd be circulating a good portion of the squads names. We need a big rebuild and it needs to start ASAP.
You've summed up perfectly the lack of mental strength amongst this group of players and the dilemma we face moving forward. We played last week, questions have to be raised about the lack of conditioning yesterday and the continued inability to deal with adversity on the pitch. The manager has not been provided with the coaching tools to do his job.

The planning to date is based on bland statements about youth development, strategy and sustainability. Its buzz word bingo nothing more. We need visible evidence of the direction we are going in.

Yesterday once again illustrated how poor our defensive cover is yet we seem content to drift aimlessly on waiting for supposed last day JTW bargains. The only evidence I've seen of a plan is to unbalance the midfield by playing Berge and Norwood together. It seems we're desperate to put Berge in the shop window in the hope we can scrape a few quid up. It shows how far we have fallen when we are being linked with the likes of Frank Fielding. A short journey man goalkeeper who doesn't command his box. Hasn't any one on the coaching staff watched our games and seen how poor we are in the air at the back?

We're 6 wins away from being safe this season and it can't come soon enough for me. The real problem is next season when the parachute money dries up. Decisive action that brings benefits are not words you can normally associate with our absent Board. We appear rudderless at the moment lacking strong pro active leadership from the top. Maybe PA will stir from his slumber on 1 Feb and answer questions about our JTW performance maybe he won't as he seems to have upped sticks and disappeared into the sunset.

Back
Top Bottom