Brexit and Youth Systems

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
Please don't make this a discussion about the pros and cons of Brexit but I had a thought about how the big clubs use Europe to get round work permit rules.

Currently, your Chelseas or Arsenals sign youth players from outside of Europe and then loan them out to a team in say Belgium (or another league with more lax rules) in order for them to become EU nationals. Thus 'gaming the system' and finding a way to sign young talent from outside of EU.

I assume this will become pointless next year, if they can still do it at all. May help to level the league up a little bit but it may also mean that it will be harder for the likes of us to sign UK youth players.

I'm not sure how much of a factor this will be.

There's also the larger factor of ability to sign players from the EU. Presumably, they'll need to meet the same criterion as those from the rest of the world?

good topic for which I don't know the answers to. If Brexit does prevent this in some way I wonder would the free movement between the UK & Ireland that will still exist post Brexit provide an alternative loophole that could us used by loaning to League of Ireland clubs ? Not sure.

Also to add to the wonder of this conversation. Isnt the Bosman ruling specific to the EU ? So does that mean UK clubs benefit from no Bosman situations existing in the UK once Brexit is done ? Another I'm not sure on.

It won’t effect the big clubs because all they’ve will do is sign the players they normally would and pay them what they currently pay them which is enough to qualify for the work permit required. Everyone else However will struggle

Back
Top Bottom