Player Suggestion Breel Embolo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Based on 2 minutes of highlights from the Wales game, i've expertly decided that Embolo is reyt player and would look good in red and white stripes. I've no idea who he plays for or what type of fee he would command but GERRIMIN! WEERZ ME CAMISHUN?

I'm in full agreement. We should sign anyone who looks good in the Euro's, particularly players who have been shit all their career so far but score a goal or do a fancy trick whilst playing for a nation who are better at goat herding than football. I bet North Macedonia or Hungary have got squads full of players who would tear the Championship a new one, it's just that no-one has a decent scouting network so they've all missed them so far.

If they have a good tournament they'll be great value for money as well (see Karel Poborsky) so it's a no brainer really.

Remember John Jensen? Scored a cracker for Denmark in the 1992 Euros and then got signed for Arsenal. Scored his first goal for them on his 98th appearance.

Remember John Jensen? Scored a cracker for Denmark in the 1992 Euros and then got signed for Arsenal. Scored his first goal for them on his 98th appearance.
Weren’t we linked with him?
No doubt it was simple idiotic paper talk at the time.
Grief - 29 years ago!

What makes this even more remarkable is that he had a shot everytime he got the ball.

Embolo plays for Borussia Mönchengladbach. They paid €10m to sign him from Schalke, who in turn paid €20m to sign him from FC Basel. He's still only 24.

If we'd not had the car crash season and were still in the PL he'd be a great target.

What makes this even more remarkable is that he had a shot everytime he got the ball.

"I got a shock when I realised what the fans were expecting when I joined," Jensen said a few years later. "The harder I tried to score, the worse it got. Every time I gathered the ball the cry would go up ‘shoot, shoot, shoot'. It was crazy." A goalless season passed. Then another. The fans teased him with growing fondness. They sang "I'll be there when Jensen scores" (also available as a T-shirt) and then "I'll be dead when Jensen scores". How could you not warm to him? He was like a little bird with only one wing desperately trying to fly. And the longer the famine went on, the greater a post-modern hero the bubble-permed Dane became.

And then, finally, when most had given up hoping, it happened. On New Year's Eve 1994, in his 99th league game, he did it. A beautiful, curling, pass-shot into the top corner, from just outside the area. A complete aberration. Oh my word. We celebrated as if no one had ever scored at Highbury before. "I will never forget the noise when I finally did score," recalls Faxe. "The cheering just went on and on." All we wanted was a two-yard tap-in and he'd rewarded our patience with solitary moment of genius.

The fact that QPR scored three to Arsenal's one didn't bother anyone unduly. "They were coming up to me later, mobbing me, showing me their T-shirts... I dedicated my goal to Arsenal and all those fans who, in the end, made me feel so wanted and made my time, in a strange sort of way, so enjoyable," he said. It was strange after that. We, and perhaps he, knew he wasn't good enough for a title-challenging side. And then there was all that horribly messy business about bungs*, which cost Graham his job and brought an unedifying chapter to an otherwise rather lovely story about someone who was loved for their inadequacies.

*Possible hints about George Graham taking a bung from his agent Rune Hauge - although not entirely proven or implicating John in anyway.

Embolo is the player I have enjoyed watching the most so far, with his willingness to run at defenders. However, I think you have to be wary of signing players on the back of a good tournament. I'm sure that the pigs signed a few swedes and Dutch players on the back of the world cup, who did very little.

Embolo is the player I have enjoyed watching the most so far, with his willingness to run at defenders. However, I think you have to be wary of signing players on the back of a good tournament. I'm sure that the pigs signed a few swedes and Dutch players on the back of the world cup, who did very little.
Yeh! Look what happened to them.
Best to stay clear.

Based on 2 minutes of highlights from the Wales game, i've expertly decided that Embolo is reyt player and would look good in red and white stripes. I've no idea who he plays for or what type of fee he would command but GERRIMIN! WEERZ ME CAMISHUN?
The two minutes you refer to may well be one minute more than our scouting department has spent on assessing previous signings.

Back
Top Bottom