BladesPod: Swindon 5-5 Sheffield United, 2015 playoff

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beans

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Roygbiv and I didn't really want to talk about Fulham - although we did, briefly - and what we REALLY wanted to discuss was the uplifting 5-5 draw with Swindon!!!!

But seriously, this was a strangely fun game to revisit, so we did. Looking at the end of the Clough tenure, the path that let to us starting Craig Alcock at centre-back in a playoff semifinal, an utterly bizarre game of football, Basham's first ever goal for the Blades, and plenty more.

I really enjoyed recording this, I appreciate this is for hardcore listeners only but if you do give it a listen I hope you get something out of it too.

And here on Apple and Spotify.

Here are the teams from that day:

1613998955538.png

And finally for those that listen, here's the link to Nigel Clough's particularly spiky post-match interview that we discussed in some detail.

Afternoon all,

Roygbiv and I didn't really want to talk about Fulham - although we did, briefly - and what we REALLY wanted to discuss was the uplifting 5-5 draw with Swindon!!!!

But seriously, this was a strangely fun game to revisit, so we did. Looking at the end of the Clough tenure, the path that let to us starting Craig Alcock at centre-back in a playoff semifinal, an utterly bizarre game of football, Basham's first ever goal for the Blades, and plenty more.

I really enjoyed recording this, I appreciate this is for hardcore listeners only but if you do give it a listen I hope you get something out of it too.

View attachment 106196

And finally for those that listen, here's the link to Nigel Clough's particularly spiky post-match interview that we discussed in some detail.

What sort of time do I have to jump to to avoid hearing anything about the Fulham match?

Afternoon all,

View attachment 106196

Has an English team ever started a game with more than 6 Scottish players?

Afternoon all,

View attachment 106196

You reminded me that I was also Team Clough after that game. He saved us the season before and took us to the brink of cup glory. Hard to forget.

But in retrospect, and listening to that season long roll call of centre back insanity, he really had to get sacked, along with whoever sanctioned his transfers. 🤯

And not getting to Wembley really was a blessing. Jermaine Beckford bagged a hat trick against Swindon. He’d have broken records against us...

i just noticed you did the West Ham one. Maybe not a good idea to do two back to back....is it too early to start drinking? (11.14 am here)

Really enjoyed that, thanks. I was not at Swindon but Revolution Sr was and he tells me that the overriding emotion on the away end in the first half was anger, as you say.

I will never understand how a manager who got it so right one year can get it so wrong the following year despite having more money to spend and arguably a weaker division. Bizzare. Clough took leave of his senses in both transfer windows.

Beans to answer your question at the end, the last 5-5 draw we were involved in before this was away at Leicester in 1951-2. I can only off the top of my head think of one other game where we scored 5 and did not win - a 5-7 home defeat v Blackburn in 1930.

To pick up on one other point from the "brothers" section, Gary Kelly's appearance for us in the final league game of 2003 marked the first occasion that brothers had played league games for United but did not play in the same game at any point. The Short brothers have also "achieved" this since.

The Watford game was the only league match Paddy Kenny missed that season. We played 61 competitive games (46 league, 5 FA Cup, 7 League Cup, 3 playoffs) and Kenny played in 59 of them. That was and remains a club record. The other game he missed was the 4-3 win over Ipswich in the FA Cup - Wilko De Vogt played in that game. Jamie Murphy came within 1 game in 2014-15 (43 league, 6 FA Cup, 6 League Cup, 2 playoffs, 1 Johnstones Paint or whatever it was called).

Excellent pod as always. Glad you didn't focus too much on the Fulham game! Good to see a return of Roy's toilet anecdotes too.

I will never understand how a manager who got it so right one year can get it so wrong the following year despite having more money to spend and arguably a weaker division. Bizzare. Clough took leave of his senses in both transfer windows.

What about this season substitute Clough for Wilder (apart from the weaker division)

Sorry if it's been covered elsewhere and can't see a thread for the Chelsea game pod Roygbiv and Beans but the Tonge celebration v the pigs was a 'top corner' symbol. Widely used at the time (not by me as I've never scored a top corner goal in my life).

I nowadays speak it would be a 'top binner' 😂

Back
Top Bottom