CONFIRMED Ben Davies signs on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If Liverpool are looking to sell,you can bet your life a lower half PL team will get interested,or Celtic.

As an enthousiastic FM player I really rate Davies and think this would be an excellent signing.

I feel like this is a critical one for us. With a decent left sided Championship centre half we'll at least be solid & hard to beat (provided we replace Ramsdale properly).
yes think this one will come off we would be covered there with robinson as competition also think egan and davies would be a very good back 2 if we go 4 at the back

yes think this one will come off we would be covered there with robinson as competition also think egan and davies would be a very good back 2 if we go 4 at the back
Fine at this level but would need upgrading if we again step up.

Fine at this level but would need upgrading if we again step up.
A. Let's cross that bridge if we get to it, it's no walk in the park to get out of the championship.
B. How do we know Davies isn't good enough for the prem? He hasn't played there yet. Similar to a lot of our players 2 years ago, some will be good enough some won't but until they get that chance nobody can know.

Ben Davies has returned from Liverpool’s pre season tour ‘to sort some personal matters’

"personal matter". It is understood the absence is not linked to any impending transfer away from Anfield.

Ah well. Not that any of the Liverpool fans would give a shite.

A. Let's cross that bridge if we get to it, it's no walk in the park to get out of the championship.
B. How do we know Davies isn't good enough for the prem? He hasn't played there yet. Similar to a lot of our players 2 years ago, some will be good enough some won't but until they get that chance nobody can know.
Didn’t suggest Davies wasn’t good enough. I was replying to a comment about us playing him and Egan as a central 2.
If we’re talking to them about Davies, we ought to also ask about Phillips too while we’re at it.

Didn’t suggest Davies wasn’t good enough. I was replying to a comment about us playing him and Egan as a central 2.
If we’re talking to them about Davies, we ought to also ask about Phillips too while we’re at it.
everybody seems to think we would be in trouble if we played 4 at the back but i dont see it and in any case if we were to go 433 slav would more than likely have a defensive midfielder in front of them that could even be basham at a push

everybody seems to think we would be in trouble if we played 4 at the back but i dont see it and in any case if we were to go 433 slav would more than likely have a defensive midfielder in front of them that could even be basham at a push
It’s because our centre halves aren’t good enough to play as a 2. The only one who could looks like he has a long road back.
It’s arguable that Egan could but I have my doubt against stronger opposition, and of course it means Bash is finished for us.
Which is why I think we’ll stick with the 3 this year.

It’s because our centre halves aren’t good enough to play as a 2. The only one who could looks like he has a long road back.
It’s arguable that Egan could but I have my doubt against stronger opposition, and of course it means Bash is finished for us.
Which is why I think we’ll stick with the 3 this year.
egan is good enough to play in a back 4 imo and if davies comes in could be one of the best pairings in the championship slav likes to attack more than defend so 433 makes more sense to me just stick a good holding midfielder in front of em for protection

egan is good enough to play in a back 4 imo and if davies comes in could be one of the best pairings in the championship slav likes to attack more than defend so 433 makes more sense to me just stick a good holding midfielder in front of em for protection
Egan has shown himself to be vulnerable to long balls a few times, and he isn’t the quickest. I thought he looked towards the end of the season like he’d be working on his distribution, brining the ball out, which was another short coming for him at the higher level.
For Slav to play his 4 at the back, Egan doesn’t fit what we’ve seen him use before. Keeping the 3 means we have to make less chances throughout the entire side and means we stay inline with all the youth sides and development players and also means we don’t have to replace Bash until the end of the season.

Keeping the 3 means we have to make less chances throughout the entire side and means we stay inline with all the youth sides and development players and also means we don’t have to replace Bash until the end of the season.
I watched all the U18 Youth Cup games that were streamed last season and we played a back 4 in all of them.

Egan has shown himself to be vulnerable to long balls a few times, and he isn’t the quickest. I thought he looked towards the end of the season like he’d be working on his distribution, brining the ball out, which was another short coming for him at the higher level.
For Slav to play his 4 at the back, Egan doesn’t fit what we’ve seen him use before. Keeping the 3 means we have to make less chances throughout the entire side and means we stay inline with all the youth sides and development players and also means we don’t have to replace Bash until the end of the season.
still think egan is easily good enough to play in a back 4 at championship level so we will agree to disagree on that one but do think we will probably start playing 343 however weve now got a manager who wont be afraid to mix things up with different systems sticking with 1 system and not trying anything else was a big factor in our demise over the last 15 months

still think egan is easily good enough to play in a back 4 at championship level so we will agree to disagree on that one but do think we will probably start playing 343 however weve now got a manager who wont be afraid to mix things up with different systems sticking with 1 system and not trying anything else was a big factor in our demise over the last 15 months
I agree Egan would probably be fine at Championship level but could be found out against the leagues best, he does need to be next to a superior player which is why I’d be less concerned if he was next to JoC. Him and Bash would be a disaster.

The counter argument to this mantra which you have been churning out for months is that when Egan has been found wanting , it has been precisely because he was in a back 3 rather than a 4 .

These have almost always been when an attack has broken down and the wingbacks have been in advanced positions , forcing the other CB’s to go wide to cover possible attacks down the wing .

In such situations , the lone centre back is left vulnerable to to a long ball down the middle when he has to instantly decide whether to go and attack it or stand off and hope for more defensive cover to arrive .

In a well organised back four , that scenario doesn’t arise since one of the twin centre backs is always available as cover if the other one fails to break down the attack .

A classic example of that would be the partnership between Colquhoun and Flynn in which the former would go forward looking to attack the long ball , knowing that if he failed to do so , his mate would there waiting to pick up the pieces .

In describing John Egan as someone who should be ok at Championship level I think you do him a great injustice. In our first year in the PL he showed himself to be comfortably to be in the top dozen in his position imo and even last year , in the crazy formation that lead to none stop pressure on our defence , he came out with his head held high .

Finally , you keep pointing out that his ability to carry the ball out of defence is not the greatest and there is some truth in that . Have you considered that were that not to be the case , he would almost certainly be playing for one of the top six clubs and not for us and with a value way in excess of anything we could afford ?

The counter argument to this mantra which you have been churning out for months is that when Egan has been found wanting , it has been precisely because he was in a back 3 rather than a 4 .

These have almost always been when an attack has broken down and the wingbacks have been in advanced positions , forcing the other CB’s to go wide to cover possible attacks down the wing .

In such situations , the lone centre back is left vulnerable to to a long ball down the middle when he has to instantly decide whether to go and attack it or stand off and hope for more defensive cover to arrive .

In a well organised back four , that scenario doesn’t arise since one of the twin centre backs is always available as cover if the other one fails to break down the attack .

A classic example of that would be the partnership between Colquhoun and Flynn in which the former would go forward looking to attack the long ball , knowing that if he failed to do so , his mate would there waiting to pick up the pieces .

In describing John Egan as someone who should be ok at Championship level I think you do him a great injustice. In our first year in the PL he showed himself to be comfortably to be in the top dozen in his position imo and even last year , in the crazy formation that lead to none stop pressure on our defence , he came out with his head held high .

Finally , you keep pointing out that his ability to carry the ball out of defence is not the greatest and there is some truth in that . Have you considered that were that not to be the case , he would almost certainly be playing for one of the top six clubs and not for us and with a value way in excess of anything we could afford ?
Totally agree. Also not sure where this 'lack of pace' idea comes from. He's not road runner quick but comfortably quick enough for the position he plays. He often gets across on the cover very effectively.

Back
Top Bottom