Avoiding mistakes of the past

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
I had a very strong feeling we would win yesterday.

Very much in our own hands and despite the late Millwall equaliser we gained points on all the chasing pack at a crucial time.

However I keep getting echoes of the past.

There was a very similar situation under Warnock in the 2006/07 season.

We'd just beaten Watford, a team whose season was done at that stage, at home 1-0 .

Following that we had an away match against a team who would end up fairly middling, Villa and then a game against a team around us who had something to play for.

It's very much not job done.

I really hope we can do a far better job of putting QPR away than we did away at Villa, where we lost disastrously 3-0 where even a narrow defeat would have kept us up.

The talk of Fulham being on the beach is also nonsense. They will hopefully be Champions already when they come to the Lane. But Mitrovic will still be chasing records to add to his phenomenal tally and I'm sure he won't want to end the season having failed to score against us in two games and Fulham themselves being 'doubled' in the last match. Just as Wigan were super motivated, a far better effort against QPR may relieve some pressure on the final day.

You go further back to Bassett's time and I remember winning 2-0 at home to Newcastle with a Nathan Blake brace. It would require all sorts of things to happen to not be safe. Ipswich would need to avoid defeat vs Dalglish's Blackburn, Everton would have to beat a decent Wimbledon team and we'd have to lose to Chelsea, not the Chelsea of today by any means Well, Ipswich duly drew 0-0 with Jason Wilcox missing a hat full of chances, the now infamous 3-2 for Everton with a penalty VAR would have laughed at and one through Hans Segers' finger tips set it up nicely for United to do United things a lose a 2-1 lead, with 15 to go and lose 3-2 with the last kick.

So please, please United, on this occasion, let's put QPR to the sword on Friday evening and have Boro perhaps draw a blank vs Cardiff and avoid any last minute scenarios where United usually mess it up.

We may well then approach the play offs with a bit of momentum, face a couple of decent teams but nobody to be afraid of and maybe, just maybe, pull of what seemed like a miracle way back in October.

Long post to say we will fuck it up....I agree it's the Blades way!
It doesn't work without some degree of build up and hope. That's when United usually prove their worth. We don't usually do outright disappointment, that wouldn't be impactful enough. It's usually defeat from the Jaws of victory stuff.

I could of course have added being 4 ahead of 3rd with 3 to go...

It doesn't work without some degree of build up and hope. That's when United usually prove their worth. We don't usually do outright disappointment, that wouldn't be impactful enough. It's usually defeat from the Jaws of victory stuff.

I could of course have added being 4 ahead of 3rd with 3 to go...
And Walsall

Felt for a while we'd need something from Fulham.

Also felt yesterday that Millwall's late goal could be crucial.

Be nice to put it to bed next weekend but I don't see it.

I don't expect us to win the play offs if we get there but you've got to be in it to win it and with our record we must be due one.

That said I'm convinced Forest will win them.

Never played at the new Wembley and been out of the top flight for a ridiculous number of years. Got their name sll over it imho.

Felt for a while we'd need something from Fulham.

Also felt yesterday that Millwall's late goal could be crucial.

Be nice to put it to bed next weekend but I don't see it.

I don't expect us to win the play offs if we get there but you've got to be in it to win it and with our record we must be due one.

That said I'm convinced Forest will win them.

Never played at the new Wembley and been out of the top flight for a ridiculous number of years. Got their name sll over it imho.
I don't know, got a feeling for us V Luton at Wembley . But then thought we would hammer Reading. That game could really come back and bite us.

Back
Top Bottom