Ashley rumour

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Putney Blade

Reaction score
Unsure if old or new rumour. But The Star is reporting it today. Regardless, throws up interesting issue. How is the Prince gonna get back his investment?

Even though he is reported to have personally invested £28m plus give a few personal guarantees (he is alleged not to have invested during and since Prem days), his strategy of developing youth will only yield in the long term (if at all). If not promoted this year, we will start the process of reducing player costs over the next few seasons and end -up with a mixture of cheaper League One and youth players. Hardly a platform for developing a promotion winning side especially against richer clubs. And hardly an attractive proposition to any potential buyer in 2 or 3 years.

Does he sell now to get a decent return, or hang around hoping that he can get a better return if the strategy on youth, and the United World model works?

Unsure if old or new rumour. But The Star is reporting it today. Regardless, throws up interesting issue. How is the Prince gonna get back his investment?

Even though he is reported to have personally invested £28m plus give a few personal guarantees (he is alleged not to have invested during and since Prem days), his strategy of developing youth will only yield in the long term (if at all). If not promoted this year, we will start the process of reducing player costs over the next few seasons and end -up with a mixture of cheaper League One and youth players. Hardly a platform for developing a promotion winning side especially against richer clubs. And hardly an attractive proposition to any potential buyer in 2 or 3 years.

Does he sell now to get a decent return, or hang around hoping that he can get a better return if the strategy on youth, and the United World model works?
Thanks but What are the Star reporting?

He doesn't, the Star just needed a picture to put with their story and he happens to be "available".

Does it also have a picture of stoned looking James Shield too?

Where's Ashley come into this?
Alan Biggs.
(Nice bloke but not the sharpest tool in the box.)
Bloke next door to my Dad worked for him and liked him (Ashley)
Grew to hate the company and left as soon as the share bonuses that went to all early employees ended.
When Newcastle went down he put £140 million into Newcastle as a loan to make sure they came straight back - which they did.
When we went down Judas drove out star striker Beattie and started the exile in the third division by repeating the same mistakes.
Left his loan behind when he sold the club.
Sooner have him than any corporate American.
No idea why he brought in those Londoners that alienated him with the Newcastle fans.
No idea why he (like the Prince) would want the mindless abuse from stupid fans again.

"Developing Youth" was the Prince's way of saying no money will be available for transfers unless, it comes from those Youth players developed.....I doubt for a second he really gives 2 fucks whether Will Osulu for example becomes a permanent fixture in our matchday squad or we sell him for £5m and use the cash to buy someone else.

Personally I think the Prince will be gagging to sell and after we have just released a decent set of accounts he will stand a good chance of getting a fairly decent return. Plus there is the Newcastle angle, HRH disappeared off the scene as the Staveley fronted bid for the Toon was being completed, could be bollocks but I wouldn't be surprised if his hand was being somewhat forced.

As for Mike Ashley, I would have him at BDTBL in a heartbeat, especially over any "American consortium" that would immediately saddle us with a shit load of debt.....just watch what happens to Burnley over the next few years....

The spanner in the works could be McCabe who still owns parts of the ground, he will want his say and of course his pound of flesh...

"Developing Youth" was the Prince's way of saying no money will be available for transfers unless, it comes from those Youth players developed.....I doubt for a second he really gives 2 fucks whether Will Osulu for example becomes a permanent fixture in our matchday squad or we sell him for £5m and use the cash to buy someone else.

Personally I think the Prince will be gagging to sell and after we have just released a decent set of accounts he will stand a good chance of getting a fairly decent return. Plus there is the Newcastle angle, HRH disappeared off the scene as the Staveley fronted bid for the Toon was being completed, could be bollocks but I wouldn't be surprised if his hand was being somewhat forced.

As for Mike Ashley, I would have him at BDTBL in a heartbeat, especially over any "American consortium" that would immediately saddle us with a shit load of debt.....just watch what happens to Burnley over the next few years....

The spanner in the works could be McCabe who still owns parts of the ground, he will want his say and of course his pound of flesh...
Alan Biggs has got it wrong,it's not Mike Ashley,it's Laura Ashley.

Mike Ashley is a surprise for me! Can't see that myself. I think we may see an “investor” or two but I can’t see a full scale “takeover”. My conversations with the Prince have been along these lines, he is looking for multiple investment rather than one big takeover. The timing of these rumours is also odd, the club could be in the Premier League next season and then the value is very different. I'm afraid I don't have anything concrete on this. Time will tell.

Sam Hashimi. And I quote “ my understanding has always been simple “
he could not decide if he was a man or a woman

I’ve heard American investors interested

Extractors rather than investors is a more accurate description of the typical Yank takeover model , whereby Chuck and Bubba arrange a huge loan at a ridiculous interest rate from their banking buddies then dump it straight on the club as a debt .

Once installed , they pay themselves and other pals and family members large fees and dividends for ‘consultancy’ and such spurious none existent contributions and are laughing all the way to the bank . Not so the club and it’s fans , who suddenly realise that they have been totally shafted and in a much worse state than they were before their rootin ’ tootin’ Knights in Ten Gallon Hats rode over the horizon .

This methodology has long since been outlawed on the American sporting scene for very obvious reasons , but clearly not obvious enough for our own inept and hopelessly naive administrators and politicians who are charged with the task of regulating our national game .

Any Blade who is of the mindset that any change of ownership can only be an improvement on that which we already have , may want to reconsider that opinion . If in doubt , have a word with a Burnley supporter for whom the only tangible results of their new benefactors short time in office has been the sale of Chris Woods , the sacking of Sean Dyche and the servicing of a £90 million debt at approximately 4 times the normal commercial rate .

Chelsea had the serious money that is why they were looking to leverage the finances to buy it.

No chance the Prince does anything officially until he knows what league we’re in. Hopefully he’s well connected & can get the right investment into the club.

Despite a few “this will happen/ that will happen if we don’t go up” I’m yet to see the prince do anything other than try and push the club forward.

Mike Ashley is a surprise for me! Can't see that myself. I think we may see an “investor” or two but I can’t see a full scale “takeover”. My conversations with the Prince have been along these lines, he is looking for multiple investment rather than one big takeover. The timing of these rumours is also odd, the club could be in the Premier League next season and then the value is very different. I'm afraid I don't have anything concrete on this. Time will tell.

Do you talk to him, (The Prince) often then Hal?

I personally don't think the timing is odd at all, just after a healthy set of numbers and i would imagine there is a price A and a price B scenario....if indeed true.

What is it they say, Everything is for sale at the right price? I wouldn't rule anything out with the Prince. There are loads of questions I would like to ask, (maybe you could save some up Hal for when you next speak to him?)...

Why hasn't McCabe been paid up regarding the land behind the Kop etc?
Has the Newcastle takeover had any bearing on him personally or SUFC or will it in the future?
Why did he decide to take a back seat in the running of SUFC?
What really is the "Youth Policy"
Does he plan to add to "United World" or will he offload parts to finance others?

A rich owner doesn't guarantee success, just look at the pigs, or look at Stoke, Britain's richest business woman is the owner (Billionaire) , but it does give you a fighting chance.

Back
Top Bottom