After sleeping on it

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Skiliman

Reaction score
Been a lot of overreaction about last nights game, but after sleeping on it, my main concerns.

1. Set pieces - both boxes - in this division your going to get absolutely shithoused if we have that same starting 11 week-in week out, other than Egan I don’t think one other player is ‘strong in the air’

2. Front 2 - for all the problems Burke and Moose will cause running the channels a major lack of composure and a lack of personnel in the box because they break so fast - nobody to aim for in the box.

3. Left side - we have so many players for the left hand side and it’s probably still our weakest area.

4. Ball carrying midfielder - take a man on, Berge was the only person last night trying to run past players with the ball at his feet and he was having to do it from the half way line at times.

I think they are the main concerns and to be fair 2-3 players through the door could pretty much fix that, hopefully Davies is nearly done but from what I’ve heard he’s still not great in the air so may not help with the set pieces.

UTB

Been a lot of overreaction about last nights game, but after sleeping on it, my main concerns.

1. Set pieces - both boxes - in this division your going to get absolutely shithoused if we have that same starting 11 week-in week out, other than Egan I don’t think one other player is ‘strong in the air’

2. Front 2 - for all the problems Burke and Moose will cause running the channels a major lack of composure and a lack of personnel in the box because they break so fast - nobody to aim for in the box.

3. Left side - we have so many players for the left hand side and it’s probably still our weakest area.

4. Ball carrying midfielder - take a man on, Berge was the only person last night trying to run past players with the ball at his feet and he was having to do it from the half way line at times.

I think they are the main concerns and to be fair 2-3 players through the door could pretty much fix that, hopefully Davies is nearly done but from what I’ve heard he’s still not great in the air so may not help with the set pieces.

UTB
I think a big reason mcburnie was favoured by wilder is his heading ability in both boxes. I also think we looked very soft at times. A reality check from playing diving twats every week

UTB
Very well put and I agree with this 100%
I would add to it the lack of any natural width from the squad without using wingbacks, if we do want to change formation we need some players who are comfortable out wide and can get quality balls into the box, which then leads onto us having to play a striker who will find a way to get onto the end of the balls coming in
At the minute I honestly can't see any other option than to play 3 centre backs and go with the wingbacks I suppose maybe you could play Bogle, Brewster or Burke (lol) as wide forward players but meh,
433 or 4321 also gives the problem of how to get Basham or McGoldrick into the team as neither is suited to it. I think you could get a half decent 442 out of the squad we have which would solve some of the issues of having no wingers but I don't actually envy Slav having to sort out what he has been left with. I think they need to pick a style of play/formation and move players out/in to get it working, maybe should have started doing it six weeks ago though!

Very well put and I agree with this 100%
I would add to it the lack of any natural width from the squad without using wingbacks, if we do want to change formation we need some players who are comfortable out wide and can get quality balls into the box, which then leads onto us having to play a striker who will find a way to get onto the end of the balls coming in
At the minute I honestly can't see any other option than to play 3 centre backs and go with the wingbacks I suppose maybe you could play Bogle, Brewster or Burke (lol) as wide forward players but meh,
433 or 4321 also gives the problem of how to get Basham or McGoldrick into the team as neither is suited to it. I think you could get a half decent 442 out of the squad we have which would solve some of the issues of having no wingers but I don't actually envy Slav having to sort out what he has been left with. I think they need to pick a style of play/formation and move players out/in to get it working, maybe should have started doing it six weeks ago though!
I think you're right, we need to go back to 5 at the back short term and get Bash back in.
Slav is trying to change formation without bringing any new players in - in makes no sense

UTB
I agree, a lot can change with even one or two good signings. Yes at the moment the squad is still very much built for Wilder's system but 2 or 3 players and that could all change. I hope you get them because I would love to see you bounce back.

UTB

Good post…..I was chatting to a few near me on the Kop who don’t over react and prefer to make a sober assessment.

We all mentioned the same points.
1: Said we never ever look dangerous at corners and haven’t done for years.
2: We mentioned that the quality is lower in the Championship but more teams seem to have a few big men and focus on set pieces.
3: Our passing was very good but Birmingham did their jobs well and were quick to close us down and close off space.
In these situations you need someone who can dribble and drive with the ball. Berger was sitting too deep 1st half, basically stood next to Norwood
however 2nd half Berge did make a few bursting runs and he was our best and only weapon regards creating chances, we all wondered whether Freeman might have been a good sub to bring on.
4: The players must be low on confidence so we need some new players to freshen things up.

Overall Birmingham were well drilled, excellent defensively but had nothing up front. They used effective tactics and deserved their win.
We haven’t played a single match against difficult opposition in pre-season and we didn’t seem as prepared as Birmingham.

Nothing to worry about though. One match means nothing but now we have 2 difficult away games in Swansea and West Brom.
So we could be near the bottom after 3 matches….then the pressure will start to mount on the manager.

Last edited:
I said before the game I was worried about set pieces but to be fair we defended them well enough last night. Might struggle against other teams though.

Agree about the left, most of our attacks went down the right where their number 7 was who was a right handfull.

my main concern first half was the midfield 3 going missing, we were completely bypassing them, almost Blackwellesqe at times. This was due to Brums midfield marking them out of them game, credit to Bowyer for that.

second half, Berge got more of the ball and we looked better.

early days yet but plenty to work on. RND, Bash and Mcburnie would be good additions I reckon.

UTB

Yeah I agree with most of that. For me, the main issues were/are (similar to your list):

-Jack Robinson is not up to standard. Missed headers all night, caught napping a few times. Hopefully a new centre back will replace him imminently. Linked to this, we lack a defender who will attack crosses into our box. We remain really vulnerable when balls are played in (like last season)
-Lack of width/movement in the final third.
-Players not had long enough to get used to a new system
-Not quite having the right players for the new system
-Norwood not being any good at what he used to be good at (corners, dead balls)
-Fleck continuing his poor vein of form.
-Midfielders not getting into the box
-Slow build up play. When we moved it quicker we got some success (particularly down the right)

We must, must add attacking midfielder, proper winger and a centre back before the window shuts. At least Slav can now get an idea of who is up to it and who isnt. I think the left will sort itself out when RND is back and if we get a proper winger in on that side.

It wasn't all bad, last night showed what we already knew and where SJ knows he needs bolster the squad.
I agree, players looked up for it but obviously the system is new to them/they don’t quite suite the system. I think Egan and O’Connell as a back two would work fine when he’s fit but that won’t be any time soon.
Player I think would add a new dimension - John Swift

I agree, players looked up for it but obviously the system is new to them/they don’t quite suite the system. I think Egan and O’Connell as a back two would work fine when he’s fit but that won’t be any time soon.
Player I think would add a new dimension - John Swift

I was just thinking exactly that this morning. If only JOC was fit, he would suit Egan better in a back two.

I can't disagree with any of that. It pretty much sums up what I saw. The worrying thing for me is that we have been saying the same things for a year now, particularly the lack of an aerially dominant defender, no creativity or energy in midfield and set pieces going straight to the keeper/first man. The starting line up last night included five players who I expected to have left by now, namely Robinson, Fleck, Norwood, Burke and Mousset. To be fair to Mousse, I thought that he did ok last night, but he has the brain of a 14 year old and to me is not going to be the answer over a 46 game season. The fact that we are chasing Vieira and Davies gives me confidence that Slav has recognised the problem. Hopefully, he gets the players that he wants in soon, otherwise I fear that the playoffs will be out of our reach.

Osborn can work as a lwb but as a lb he's going to have to defend balls in the air. The goal and the one ruled out show that's not his game whatsoever and we shouldn't even ask it from him!
Couldn't agree more. It doesn't say much for Lowe though, that he can't even get a game when our first two left backs are out. Personally if RND is still out next week, i would put Bash at CB and Osborn into midfield instead of Norwood

Is it just me that thinks that Osborn is part of the problem, not part of the solution?

Seems like a nice honest lad and all that but he‘s never good enough to play as a LB, LWB or in midfield. Backup at best. Runs around a lot, but can’t influence a game. Good engine but no pilot.

Back
Top Bottom