Academy reshuffle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
The “Star” stating that travis binnion and John dungworth are among a number of high profile staff to leave the academy. Who will bring in ex Blade Jack Lester as the new Academy boss.

Interesting to know the reasoning behind what appears to be a radical change..

(Lester will be able to teach all the youngsters how to win a penalty)

I had heard rumours of Trav's departure at the weekend. I'll wait until the official club announcement to weigh it all up and comment. Although, I'm expecting a "mutual decision, pursue other opportunities" type statement.
To save anyone searching the Forum, it's not a secret that, purely as an interested fan, I find Travis a very impressive young man.

I had heard rumours of Trav's departure at the weekend. I'll wait until the official club announcement to weigh it all up and comment. Although, I'm expecting a "mutual decision, pursue other opportunities" type statement.
To save anyone searching the Forum, it's not a secret that, purely as an interested fan, I find Travis a very impressive young man.

Big surprise that Phil, the club must have listened to your `Binnion Out` line after Ferriby!

The fact a thread saying Academy Reshuffle gets 7 posts in 4 hours shows the interest level the Academy has.

It is magic when a player comes through the Academy but if it never happened again a very high percentage would not care less.

And why should they......Rightly so, it is all about the first team.

The higher up the football pyramid the less need for an Academy. Clubs, even with our budget can just buy what they need.

As an Academy watcher, ex parent, coach it is hard to except but it is a fact of football these days.

To find the level required for the Premiership is almost impossible...... hence so many foreign players in the top divisions......

Travis Binnion dream’t of one of his players making the first team but before any of that he wanted to make young players into professional players, that would make a living out of the game.

Will be interesting what ambitions Jack Lester has for the players at his disposal.

The fact a thread saying Academy Reshuffle gets 7 posts in 4 hours shows the interest level the Academy has.

It is magic when a player comes through the Academy but if it never happened again a very high percentage would not care less.

The higher up the football pyramid the less need for an Academy. Clubs, even with our budget can just buy what they need.

As an Academy watcher, ex parent, coach it is hard to except but it is a fact of football these days.

To find the level required for the Premiership is almost impossible...... hence so many foreign players in the top divisions......

Travis Binnion dream’t of one of his players making the first team but before any of that he wanted to make young players into professional players, that would make a living out of the game.

Will be interesting what ambitions Jack Lester has for the players at his disposal.
It would be a fine line though between the costs of running an academy and the costs of purchasing at least 8 home grown players for your 25 man squad if you didn't have one.

Our Academy as produced a fair share of top class players and two that play at the very top end of the premier league, but I guess in terms fans giving a hoot, its still all about the first team, does make me proud when I see players that have come through our academy, it shows no matter what league we have been in the development of youth as been done well.

They get players at 12 and 13 from all over the world. Brazil, Africa.
We are looking at that age in Greenhill, Ecclesfield, Handsworth.

Comparing Sheffield United Academy in the same breath as those two is ridiculous.

We currently have a few from Europe so not necessarily. Most players come through an academy and the decent academies pay for themselves many times over.

It’s not that I’m not interested in the academy, I am. It’s that I have no factual information to offer and I don’t want to speculate on why Travis is leaving. Basically, I’ve nowt to say worth posting.

But I will add good luck Jack, welcome back.

The “Star” stating that travis binnion and John dungworth are among a number of high profile staff to leave the academy. Who will bring in ex Blade Jack Lester as the new Academy boss.

Interesting to know the reasoning behind what appears to be a radical change..

(Lester will be able to teach all the youngsters how to win a penalty)
Jack was PSV.
Pre shitty VAR.

South Yorkshire has produced as many pro players over the years as any county. We are now ideally placed to hover the top local talent up and should do aggressively.

To those saying it.doesnt matter dont tell.me over the years you havent enjoyed watching the likes.of Dane, Bradders,Wardy, Harry, Kyle et al pull on the shirt. Now they didnt all come through the academy but local lads add to the special feeling of our club.

Successful academies = lots of money.
Nottingham Forest and Leeds are a good example of making money from academy players over recent years. Man City are paying up to a million or more for academy kids and if they don’t get them when they are young and they are very good they end up going back as multi-million pound players. Chris Wilder’s legacy could be an academy that is renowned for its quality of players, (will it include girls?) used in our squad or not. Good luck Jack.

The figures you talk about are clubs that treat their academies as stand alone businesses.

look at Chelsea. 20 to 30 lads out on loan with no chance of getting in the first team.

They invest millions on academy players to sell them for a profit for later on.
It almost becomes a surprise if any of them turn out to be deemed good enough for the first team.

Also Leeds, Forest etc play their young players at 18 years old in the first team. We don’t.

If you think Phil Foden being sold for £50m covers the cost of Man Cities academy, first team training complex then again you are miles off.

A measured approach is required.I know kids from Leeds who play in the Man City academy, they spend a fortune getting them from all over the country with some on substantial sums of money at 14.

Surprised Binnion's leaving to be honest. I do think Jack Lester is a great appointment to the Academy though.

Any reasons why? Genuine question, not being clever.

Also Leeds, Forest etc play their young players at 18 years old in the first team. We don’t.

Since those two were in the Premier League, Louis Reed played at 16, George Long and Diego at 17, Walker, Maguire, Kennedy, Dimaio and Slater at 18.

[
Since those two were in the Premier League, Louis Reed played at 16, George Long at 17, Walker, Maguire and Slater at 18.
Eddie, we have agreed to disagree on many occasions but in all fairness in the last three years Slater played some time, I agree.
But you can’t keep going back to Walker, Maguire, Long, Reed. Who are all pre Wilder.

If CW deemed players over the last three years as not good enough to play anywhere near regularly why on earth do you think it will change now we are in the Premier League?

Over the last 3 years we have not played any youth players for any credible amount of time. It’s a fact. You seriously can’t argue with that.

But I will say this again..... if CW felt none were good enough then it’s all good with me.
But don’t tell me he has promoted our own youth players because he has not.

Leeds played Clarke, Philips, Pearce and Viera in the last 12/18 months in a team pushing for promotion.

I would be telling fibs if I could tell you who forest have played but Gomis, Cash and Osborne spring to mind over the last 12 months.

Calvert Lewis, Adams, Ramsdale and Brooks were shipped out before you could blink. I admit Brooks got a few games but was never trusted for a continued starting run in the team.

A bit more faith in youth and it could have been us with Adams £12m, Brooke’s £50m, Calvert Lewis £25m, Ramsdale ??

So we sold £100m worth of player for £13m tops.

You will only choose to see me having a go at Wilder but in terms of youth development I am criticizing him but as a manager who has got us to where we are he is the best manager we have had and likely to have in the future.

Eddie, we are talking about the here and now.

If you are going to go so far back then there is nothing to debate pal.

Lester did a great job at forest academy but certainly no better than Binnion did with us.

Maybe it’s just time for a change. Things run their course

Back
Top Bottom