CONFIRMED Aaron Ramsdale sold to Arsenal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would I like to see him go.

probably not - he’s done well after a dodgy start and has probably been one of our top performers all being told this season.

That said - if we got 20m back for him or somehow maybe turned a profit on him. Would that soften the financial blow of relegation a bit. The question is then could we replace him to a more than decent standard- I think the answer is absolutely.

Would I like to see him go.

probably not - he’s done well after a dodgy start and has probably been one of our top performers all being told this season.

That said - if we got 20m back for him or somehow maybe turned a profit on him. Would that soften the financial blow of relegation a bit. The question is then could we replace him to a more than decent standard- I think the answer is absolutely.
This is it. If we have to raise £40m and we have the following as options:

Berge £25m
Ramsdale £20m
Egan £12m
McBurnie £10m
Baldock £5m

Then for me the easiest recovery route (assuming we do the scouting properly) would be Ramsdale/Egan/McBurnie leaving. If the reports coming back from Holland are accurate Verrips might well be good enough to take Ramsdale's shirt; replacing Egan should be doable for £5m (excellent defender but with technical limitations and a lack of pace) and arguably we've not missed McBurnie at all since he's been injured.

I don't want to see Rammers leave at all as he's a good keeper and could be our rock for at least the next 10 years and will be more so if we manage to return to the Premier in a couple of years, by which time a little older and wiser. If the rumour is true that Burnley will value Pope at 40mill should they decide to sell, I'm assuming they then become favourites to come in for Rammers. We should stick out for at least 30mill and even then I think they would have a bargain. If that be the case then it would be rather a tempting deal.

As a replacement, get Verrips back who may be interested to return from his successful loan spell with the promise that under new leadership he won't be messed around with like when he first arrived and would become our No.1. Bag the 30mill which is a large percentage of this supposedly 40mill we need to raise in sales to balance the books. The balance of 10mill we could raise by selling off half a dozen of the fringe players. That's even before we talk about Sander, who I would like to keep by the way, but If we do have to sell, make a profit on him and plough it all on a young, strong, hungry attacking midfield lineup
We are then good to go, providing the management selection process doesn't throw a huge cog in the works.
If only I was the owner!!! :cool:

John Egan will be sold if the murmurs are correct that he's on £50k a week with no relegation clause (reducing his wages). I also think someone in the PL will take him given he's a pretty solid defender & a great character. He does have his limitations & the jury's out on whether he'd be effective in a partnership. However, I'd be disappointed not to raise at least £15-20m for him.

Sander Berge will be agitating to get out. He's another who is unlikely to have a relegation clause in his contract, but will almost certainly have some sort of release clause.
I don't think we will get anything like the £35m sums some fans are suggesting, particularly given his season-long injury, but also because he's never really set the world on fire here. If we can get £25-28m for him then that would be fine for me.

I'd then hope no other player sales are necessary & that we can build on what we have. We would need a strong John Egan replacement & probably about 3 midfielders to mount a serious challenge.

I would look to get rid of; Foderingham, Stevens, Jagielka & Lundstram (end of deals) & Mousset.
I'd not be against keeping Kean Bryan as cover for Jack O'Connell but at his age he should really be looking to go somewhere & play regular football now.

Ramsdale player of the season? He was dreadful for the first half of it. He's starting to come good & I hope we keep hold, but he's nowhere near that award.

Agreed - the kids had a decent 2nd half of the season and appears to have taken the early season criticism well, got his head down and pushed his game on - still got lots to learn.

UTB

He didn't impress me against Spurs again. Still makes himself small & goes down far too early.

yep can agree with that. A poor game after decent improvement. It's the sign of a youngster getting better.

Still has a long way to go.

I'd be very careful if I was Rammers and Burnley. Take Tarkowski and May out of that side (perhaps sales/injury) and they could struggle with an inexperienced keeper like Rammers.

He needs to learn his trade a bit more - as with Brewster.

UTB

Aaron Ramsdale’s future at Sheffield United is likely to be source of much speculation this summer following the Blades’ relegation.

Having only returned to the club last summer, the goalkeeper enjoyed an improved second half of the season after an indifferent start to the campaign.

He was named the Blades’ player of the year ahead of the final game of the season against Burnley, and also claimed the club’s young player of the year award.
And a fine week was capped off when he was named in Gareth Southgate’s provisional England squad for this summer’s rescheduled Euro 2020.

He’ll find out whether he makes the cut for the tournament on June 1, but the keeper’s stock has certainly risen over the last few months.

And that has raised some questions over his future as the Blades return to the Championship next season.

That uncertainty has been raised somewhat after it was hinted that there could be a reshuffle among the club’s goalkeepers this summer.

Yorkshire LIVE

Wes is one of those real "what the fuck" signings.

Rangers fans thought he was utterly dire, and they've seen some shit in the last few seasons.
Lazy, wasteful signing really. Yes, Simon Moore was injured. But it showed a lack of creativity around the rules.

You can literally have anyone on the bench. Chances a sub keeper will be needed is probably less than 1%.

If the injury to the keeper is serious then the rules allow you to go out and borrow a keeper.

In which case, you're arguable better having some inexperience i.e. not exceeding a number of games, who can come in for half a game if you need and then you can be confident you can go and borrow a senior keeper from elsewhere.

Having someone who is senior, demands a senior wages i.e. weekly '000s not 100s and is limited in ability is probably the worst scenario of the lot. Now we potentially have him for 3 years. Why could Amissah or Dewhurst not have performed the role of professional splinter gatherers on their 500 quid a week than Wes' 1000s for no benefit.

This is what has irked me a little about the Wilder Prem period. We've been happy to be pound foolish at times and now we are back in the Championship, all these 500,000s we spent on wages on punts for players who never got a game would have been very handy. I'm talking Morrison, Rodwell, Foderingham etc. We should have just stayed away like everyone else and gave our own a chance. I mean, we have Ramsdale, Verrips, Moore, Eastwood, Dewhurst, Amissah, all of which have been on contract this season, yet signing League One Wes was somehow too hard to resist. Let's not forget that Verrips only left on loan in January.

How bad is when our player of the year was a liability for 3 month of the season. Sad times
I don’t have think he was a liability ! He was not at his best but I don’t recall any obvious howler that led to a goal.

I don’t have think he was a liability ! He was not at his best but I don’t recall any obvious howler that led to a goal.
I’d put him in the liability bracket. The turnaround has been phenomenal.

It’s a strange year when our POTY has probably contributed as much as anyone to our relegation.

But fair play to the lad, it took some real balls to stick at it and become a top performer.

Easy to clear this up, what was his expected goals conceded for each game and total for the season. That’ll tell you how many games he cost us and many points he earned.
I’d guess he’s significantly in credit when you think of all the saves.

This is it. If we have to raise £40m and we have the following as options:

Berge £25m
Ramsdale £20m
Egan £12m
McBurnie £10m
Baldock £5m

Then for me the easiest recovery route (assuming we do the scouting properly) would be Ramsdale/Egan/McBurnie leaving. If the reports coming back from Holland are accurate Verrips might well be good enough to take Ramsdale's shirt; replacing Egan should be doable for £5m (excellent defender but with technical limitations and a lack of pace) and arguably we've not missed McBurnie at all since he's been injured.
Wouldn't expect to get much more than half that amount?! Personally would like a clear out ... let new manager pick his team not remnants of a predecessor 🤨

Easy to clear this up, what was his expected goals conceded for each game and total for the season. That’ll tell you how many games he cost us and many points he earned.
Only if you believe in the weird world of algorithms !

Only if you believe in the weird world of algorithms !
It tells you from the shots faced how many he realistically should have saved. Given the shit storm he had in front of him, supposedly protecting him, it’s a fairer comparison than just looking at goals conceded.

Think his XGA was 0. So he let in exactly what would be expected.

It tells you from the shots faced how many he realistically should have saved. Given the shit storm he had in front of him, supposedly protecting him, it’s a fairer comparison than just looking at goals conceded.
I am not sure who or what makes the decision as to which shots he should have saved.
Strength of shot, wind speed and direction, state of pitch and position of other players all come into it and I doubt it is that sophisticated.
Does it take into consideration how good each keeper is ?
As you will see I don’t fully understand it and ,perhaps wrongly, don’t trust it !

Back
Top Bottom