CONFIRMED Aaron Ramsdale sold to Arsenal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The view that we “didn’t need a striker at all” wasn’t widely held.

The vast majority of people (IMO) had a new striker as their number one priority.
Some people can't see the wood for the trees

Swift or a player of that ilk was apparently on the list and everyone was buzzing
Plenty of question marks when we let Freeman go without a replacement

I'd argue you're rewriting history there.
Many think we needed both a striker, but to say the vast majority of the fanbase had a striker as number one priority is untrue. Unless you've spoken to the whole fanbase, of course.

while i think brewster will come good the 2 players we should have brought in were jon swift and josh king know king was on 50k per week but we would have got both those 2 for what we paid for brewster and both would have been first team regulars

I'd argue you're rewriting history there.
Many think we needed both a striker, but to say the vast majority of the fanbase had a striker as number one priority is untrue. Unless you've spoken to the whole fanbase, of course.
I did put (IMO), but given the nature of your post, I can see you’re not up for a discussion on it, which is fine ;)

I did put (IMO), but given the nature of your post, I can see you’re not up for a discussion on it, which is fine ;)

It's all in the old threads. The majority did want a striker.

I go through our squad and the only area we didn't need to bring which we did was LWB (Lowe). We also needed players in four or five other positions. which we haven't brought in

'Keeper - needed for several years. Could possibly have lowballed here and brought in a midfielder or defender with any savings?
RWB: Needed since K Freeman's serious injury in first Championship season (he was never the same afterwards). We've been very lucky with Baldock's fitness
RCB, CB, LCB: Backups needed for all three positions since Stearman's departure (he was only suitable for the middle of the three imo). Winging it with Jags due to budget and a try before you buy with Restos in Jan. Risked it again this season and have been ruthlessly undone.
Striker: Big question marks over Sharp and Didz due to age. Moose drop of since Christmas '19 and concerns about Mcburnie's suitability. Consensus on here was that we needed a striker, which I agreed with.
Midfield: needed several. Lundstram replacement, middle of three and a ten minimum. Attempted to wing it and got burnt badly. L Freeman's a bit of a puzzler as he was the one on the books most suitable to the ten, but I'm guessing CW saw Osborn as Fleck competition and decided to jettison Didz ten competition. As it happens it was a moot point with Freeman's injury issues.

To patch the squad up we've brought in utility players e.g. Osborn, Ampadu, J Robinson, Rodwell etc. This is because we don't have real money to bring in players in these areas without sacrificing investing in the areas we have. Personally think Osborn has been a good signing and we've had vfm from J Robinson. Would love to know what Ampadu has cost in wages and potential loan fee, but can't think of too many players that can play CB and the deep lying playmaker role.

It's all in the old threads. The majority did want a striker.

I go through our squad and the only area we didn't need to bring which we did was LWB (Lowe). We also needed players in four or five other positions. which we haven't brought in

'Keeper - needed for several years. Could possibly have lowballed here and brought in a midfielder or defender with any savings?
RWB: Needed since K Freeman's serious injury in first Championship season (he was never the same afterwards). We've been very lucky with Baldock's fitness
RCB, CB, LCB: Backups needed for all three positions since Stearman's departure (he was only suitable for the middle of the three imo). Winging it with Jags due to budget and a try before you buy with Restos in Jan. Risked it again this season and have been ruthlessly undone.
Striker: Big question marks over Sharp and Didz due to age. Moose drop of since Christmas '19 and concerns about Mcburnie's suitability. Consensus on here was that we needed a striker, which I agreed with.
Midfield: needed several. Lundstram replacement, middle of three and a ten minimum. Attempted to wing it and got burnt badly. L Freeman's a bit of a puzzler as he was the one on the books most suitable to the ten, but I'm guessing CW saw Osborn as Fleck competition and decided to jettison Didz ten competition. As it happens it was a moot point with Freeman's injury issues.

To patch the squad up we've brought in utility players e.g. Osborn, Ampadu, J Robinson, Rodwell etc. This is because we don't have real money to bring in players in these areas without sacrificing investing in the areas we have. Personally think Osborn has been a good signing and we've had vfm from J Robinson. Would love to know what Ampadu has cost in wages and potential loan fee, but can't think of too many players that can play CB and the deep lying playmaker role.
Great analysis, and I’d agree.

Most of the imbalances were forced by finances, and as a result patched up with utility players.

Unless everyone I know, the pub chatter, and the bulk of threads on here were not representative, people were screaming out for a new striker.

Burnley interested according to papers if they sell pope

I've just said on shoutbox, that Ramsdale has improved immeasurably after a really difficult start to the season, and he's started to prove his doubters wrong.

I do agree that he'd benefit hugely from a year in the championship, but if his sale and that of say McBurnie, were to enable us to keep other key players and would provide funds for recruitment, then I would be all for it. I think it may be possible to find a Championship standard keeper for a decent sum, and instead prioritise funds for those areas that are more high tariff, such as a championship level CAM with the promise for PL football.

If he did go to Burnley, that may be 3 relegations in as many seasons 😂 He'd be the exact opposite of Norwood... 😉

I’d cash in. Take advantage of his recent form. I still feel he played a huge part in our start to the season which ultimately relegated us. We can get a more than adequate keep for a quarter of that fee.
Don't think we'd need one when we already have Verrips on our books, who by all accounts is doing an excellent job with his loan team.

I’d cash in. Take advantage of his recent form. I still feel he played a huge part in our start to the season which ultimately relegated us. We can get a more than adequate keep for a quarter of that fee.

I agree that his early form had a part to play in our horrific form pre Xmas but I don’t get the argument to factor that in now that he’s hit an upward curve, especially given he is nowhere near his peak years.

I think he’ll be one of the top 3 keepers in the Championship next year. There may be a shrewd bit of business to be done if a Prem club is willing to take him for a decent fee but you don’t get promoted without a decent keeper. Bog standard won’t cut it and my instinct would be to hang on to the one we have.

Nigel Quashie was similar

Quashie's a weird one. Always came across as an absolute tosser on the pitch (I seem to remember he was sent off in that bad tempered game against Forest where David Platt lost it at Paul Devlin) but whenever I've heard he speak he sounds like a good guy.

Would only sell if offer is really worth it. With how well Verrips has been doing in the Eredivisie I would be fine with him starting for us in the champ if it means we can hold onto more of our outfield assets. ⚔️

Wouldn't sell for less than 25m and Burnley ain't paying that, keep the lad for me he's probably player of season with DM

I think we need to keep Ramsdale, if we can. I doubt he wants to leave given he really didn't last time. Having a longterm keeper is very important if we want to be successful again.

I don't think Moore, Eastwood or Fotheringham are good enough and all need to go. The latter was a truly awful signing.

Verrips has done well out on loan but we seem to have treated him poorly so I suspect he'll hand in a transfer request. Probably has no interest being back-up.

Ramsdale player of the season? He was dreadful for the first half of it. He's starting to come good & I hope we keep hold, but he's nowhere near that award.
Who pray is near it Mcgoldrick, Basham ? injured for a lump of the season or a young goalkeeper who came in at a high price to fill the boots of a much ( and rightly so ) heralded loaner keeper
A young keeper whose had all the shit social media can throw at him from game day 1
A young keeper playing behind a different defence every week
Or a young keeper who had been professional throughout
and has dealt with it and is proving his doubters wrong
Ramsdale for me no one comes close

Who pray is near it Mcgoldrick, Basham ? injured for a lump of the season or a young goalkeeper who came in at a high price to fill the boots of a much ( and rightly so ) heralded loaner keeper
A young keeper whose had all the shit social media can throw at him from game day 1
If you had asked me my thoughts before xmas on Ramsdale being the Player of the season i would have swore blind you were a raving lunatic.
Ask me now and i would swear blind you were a raving lunatic for suggesting it could be anyone other than Ramsdale (Didsy apart).

The lad has some seriously big bollocks! Great turnaround from him.

I agree with all those sentiments but I think that the contributions of McG and Bash should not be belittled

Player of the season without doubt albeit in a poor side.

Would do right to stay next season and continue to improve playing week in week out.

Back
Top Bottom