A few thoughts on the last match and potential line-up for West Ham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LondonBlade89

Reaction score
We started really well. I don’t think we should forget that. All the things that Wilder had clearly pushed during the week came to fruition. Players were backing themselves, passes were first time, and at the centre of it all, like he always seems to be when we’re at our best, was Ollie Norwood. That reverse pass to Baldock was the type of clever play we’ve been missing.

John Egan said as much in his post-match interview, but it felt like no sooner had we got in front playing some good football that we were 1-2 down. It was mad how quickly it all happened. Reece James and Ziyech were finding acres of space down the right, and it was that side that led to the first two goals. Arguably, thinking about it, our left hand side was responsible for all four goals, and more specifically Max Lowe for at least three of them was certainly partly responsible.

For me, there were two clear errors in the starting line-up which looking back I’d change. Firstly, you go Stevens over Lowe and stick Robinson at LCB. Secondly, you go Burke over Brewster. I understand in both cases the reason for the picks but there were then two clear errors with the subs too. It was evident pretty quickly this wasn’t a game for Brewster. Why Burke didn’t come on to hassle the defenders and chase through balls is anyone’s guess. Second, you don’t sub off Norwood. I still maintain that a lot of our good play comes through him, lack of athleticism totally accepted.

What does that mean for the next game? For me, you have to drop Lowe. That’s two poor games now and yesterday he was massively detrimental to the team. If Ampadu wasn’t heading off with Wales I’d be tempted to train him at LCB and push Stevens out to LWB. That’s probably my ideal answer right now. But if he’s not up to speed there, you probably go Robinson LCB-Stevens LWB because I think then you have to stick Osborn at LCM. There was zero good play down our left hand side, going forwards or backwards. At least those three have some familiarity. I don’t buy the “Lundstram doesn’t seem bothered” comments but I do buy the “Lundstram isn’t very good” comments. I’ve said it on here before but he’s only good when elevated by others. He gets in good positions and has decent technique, but he doesn’t create. Neither does Osborn, but for me he’s more likely to. It shows incredibly poor decision making that we let Luke Freeman leave on loan.

My main point is that I think we stick with Norwood. We just seem to be at our best when he’s ticking us over. And against West Ham I don’t think we’ll get overrun. Ampadu has looked class, a bit overawed at times but he’s young, and while we continue to sh*t the bed down the left I’d see about playing him at LCB. Who knows whether that’s happened in training, but it’s what I’d explore. Then you pray Fleck comes back in form.

Oh and up front, I realise this will be disagreed with but stick with McBurnie and Brewster. The latter has done virtually nothing, but having your first three games v Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea is tough. West Ham and West Brom will be good games for him, and generally that front two pairing.

Sorry, this has become a bit of a ramble, but I felt miserable yesterday watching the game (imagine growing up in SW London and having 50% of our football supporting mates being Chelsea fans) and this felt slightly cathartic. If you helps you as well, feel free to ramble in reply. In short: keep Ollie Norwood in and keep the faith IMO.

Mate I didn’t read that like a ramble. All very fair points for me. The left side is definitely the weak link at the minute. And I totally agree about bringing Robinson back in. If Wilder doesn’t want to change the tactics then you have to play the best players for those positions. Lowe is nowhere near good enough I’m afraid. Osborn is a much better LWB if he persists with Stevens at LCB. The problem is Stevens is not a LCB he’s a LWB in my opinion. I think a left side of LCB Robinson LWB Stevens LCM Osborn is much stronger than Stevens, Lowe and Lunny.

I also agree about Norwood. Couldn’t quite believe we took him off yesterday. That not only lost his ability to tick us over, it also moved Berge away from being an attacking threat and left Lunny on the pitch!!

finally... speaking of Berge... did you see his yellow?! The lad is unbelievably frustrated and I don’t blame him!

We started really well. I don’t think we should forget that. All the things that Wilder had clearly pushed during the week came to fruition. Players were backing themselves, passes were first time, and at the centre of it all, like he always seems to be when we’re at our best, was Ollie Norwood. That reverse pass to Baldock was the type of clever play we’ve been missing.

John Egan said as much in his post-match interview, but it felt like no sooner had we got in front playing some good football that we were 1-2 down. It was mad how quickly it all happened. Reece James and Ziyech were finding acres of space down the right, and it was that side that led to the first two goals. Arguably, thinking about it, our left hand side was responsible for all four goals, and more specifically Max Lowe for at least three of them was certainly partly responsible.

For me, there were two clear errors in the starting line-up which looking back I’d change. Firstly, you go Stevens over Lowe and stick Robinson at LCB. Secondly, you go Burke over Brewster. I understand in both cases the reason for the picks but there were then two clear errors with the subs too. It was evident pretty quickly this wasn’t a game for Brewster. Why Burke didn’t come on to hassle the defenders and chase through balls is anyone’s guess. Second, you don’t sub off Norwood. I still maintain that a lot of our good play comes through him, lack of athleticism totally accepted.

What does that mean for the next game? For me, you have to drop Lowe. That’s two poor games now and yesterday he was massively detrimental to the team. If Ampadu wasn’t heading off with Wales I’d be tempted to train him at LCB and push Stevens out to LWB. That’s probably my ideal answer right now. But if he’s not up to speed there, you probably go Robinson LCB-Stevens LWB because I think then you have to stick Osborn at LCM. There was zero good play down our left hand side, going forwards or backwards. At least those three have some familiarity. I don’t buy the “Lundstram doesn’t seem bothered” comments but I do buy the “Lundstram isn’t very good” comments. I’ve said it on here before but he’s only good when elevated by others. He gets in good positions and has decent technique, but he doesn’t create. Neither does Osborn, but for me he’s more likely to. It shows incredibly poor decision making that we let Luke Freeman leave on loan.

My main point is that I think we stick with Norwood. We just seem to be at our best when he’s ticking us over. And against West Ham I don’t think we’ll get overrun. Ampadu has looked class, a bit overawed at times but he’s young, and while we continue to sh*t the bed down the left I’d see about playing him at LCB. Who knows whether that’s happened in training, but it’s what I’d explore. Then you pray Fleck comes back in form.

Oh and up front, I realise this will be disagreed with but stick with McBurnie and Brewster. The latter has done virtually nothing, but having your first three games v Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea is tough. West Ham and West Brom will be good games for him, and generally that front two pairing.

Sorry, this has become a bit of a ramble, but I felt miserable yesterday watching the game (imagine growing up in SW London and having 50% of our football supporting mates being Chelsea fans) and this felt slightly cathartic. If you helps you as well, feel free to ramble in reply. In short: keep Ollie Norwood in and keep the faith IMO.
Some good points, I agree on Robinson he's not great but better than what else we have for LCB. However for me Brewster definitely needs moving to the bench and probably Stevens

Back
Top Bottom