1972-73 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HodgysBrokenThumb

Reaction score
18/11/1972

Coventry 3 (Alderson 2, MacKenzie og) Blades 0

A miserable 1st half as we were easily beaten. I was sat with my dad and Malcolm Sylvester in the main stand. During the 2nd half I had lost patience in watching the match and Malcolm was telling me to get a grip and not "give up". I remember looking at the Green Un headlines that evening "Alderson's
magic stuns the Blades" and it pissed me off even more!

View attachment 148010
View attachment 148011
View attachment 148013
View attachment 148014

View attachment 148016
View attachment 148017
View attachment 148018

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables are in below link

Never mind the Utd defeat, what about the Amateur Cup report of Hallam losing 2-1 at Leeds Carnegie to a controversial late goal? Dodgy officials favouring Leeds again…

Silent Blade

Reaction score
25/11/1972

Blades 1 (Dearden) Wolves 2 (Richards, Hibbitt)

I struggle to remember anything about this match and I dont remember watching the tv highlights of the match in the next day. Dearden's goal can be viewed from 33 mins 47 seconds in below link.

Wolveshoward.jpg

Wolveswoody.jpg
Wolvesgoal.jpg
Wolvesdearden.jpg
Wolvesbilly.jpg
Wolvesbailey.jpg
Wolvesford.jpg
Wolvesgu1.jpg
Wolvesgu2.jpg
Wolvesgu3.jpg
Wolvesmt1.jpg
Wolvesmt2.jpg
Wolvesmt3.jpg
Wolvesmca.jpg
Wolvesmorgan.jpg
Wolvessmart.jpg
Wolvesstar.jpg

From the programme

Wolvespeter.jpg
Wolveschatter.jpg

Jon Bon II

Here's Jonny!
Reaction score
Who was TC sticking two fingers up at, after he scored the equaliser at Derby (29:00)? Could it have been Clough by any chance? You can see it as the players are congratulating him after scoring. Definitely giving someone the rods.

Bladeloyal

Reaction score
15/7/1972
I am on the left side of the lorry wearing my keeper jersey probably waving to my grandmother and my Uncle Ronnie (both lived on Stonelow Road) on Oakhill Road. My dad and SUFC Commercial Manager Harold Rumsey made the arrangements for a Blades themed lorry float filled with young Blades around my age to parade through the roads of Dronfield before ending up at Cliffe Park . I had forgotten that there were ads about the forthcoming Watney Cup tournament until I saw the photo a few years ago.

At Cliffe Park there was a Blades stall selling scarves, badges, souvenirs and pennants etc. My dad and two or three other parents helped out Harold Rumsey behind the stall.

Mike and Bernie Winters were at the park entertaining the crowd.

View attachment 139251
View attachment 139252
Uncle ronnie

Attachments

• download (5).jpeg
    download (5).jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 8

Silent Blade

Reaction score
2/12/1972

Our match at Selhurst Park was postponed by referee Jack Taylor due to a waterlogged pitch despite that both Palace and Blades players were already in their kit in the changing room also a few thousand spectators had already paid to get into the ground.

Neither my dad or I made the trip to London probably because we didnt fancy the long trip.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom