You Be The Manager - Scenario #1

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony_Kaufman

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's
Reaction score
We all have our opinions on who should stay and who should go when it comes to Sheffield United. For a bit of fun I'm going to post scenarios based on post season activity. Each is based around squad assessment and you, as manager, have to decide who to keep, who to sell, who to loan out and post your rationale or pros and cons for each player to back up your decision and why.

Day One - Goalkeepers

Wes Foderingham (31) - contract ends Jun 23

Adam Davies (29) - contract ends Jun 22

Jake Eastwood (25) - contract not known - currently in under 23 squad

Marcus Dewhurst (21) - contract not known - currently on loan at Boston United (National League North)

Adam Davies let it expire.
Wes Foderingham keep and assess end of next season, next seasons back up.
Definitely need a new Number one Keeper , one with more presence.
2 young lads don't know enough to judge them but at their ages possible another year.
Nothing against Wes , done a great job but as the manager I need a keeper who commands the area. I want promotion.

We all have our opinions on who should stay and who should go when it comes to Sheffield United. For a bit of fun I'm going to post scenarios based on post season activity. Each is based around squad assessment and you, as manager, have to decide who to keep, who to sell, who to loan out and post your rationale or pros and cons for each player to back up your decision and why.

Day One - Goalkeepers

Wes Foderingham (31) - contract ends Jun 23

Adam Davies (29) - contract ends Jun 22

Jake Eastwood (25) - contract not known - currently in under 23 squad

Marcus Dewhurst (21) - contract not known - currently on loan at Boston United (National League North)

Quote from my mate who has watched Dewhurst all season: "he's a terrific keeper, like really good, far too good for this level, tremendous shot stopper and can save pens too! Just worry that he's already getting too old to have not made it yet at SUFC."

Make of that what you will but I don't think that sounds too bad at all if he was to be the back-up or even push Wes following a chance to show what he can do in pre-season?

2 young lads don't know enough to judge them but at their ages possible another year.
Nothing against Wes , done a great job but as the manager I need a keeper who commands the area. I want promotion.
With Wes in goal we had an automatic promotion record and the most clean sheets, if we have limite resources, goalkeeper is probably the last place we look

We’re apparently renewing Davies’ contract. Right choice IMO, solid back up who now knows the club.

I’d let Eastwood go now. He needs to for his own benefit.

Young lads - loan out where possible.

Foderingham - Keep. Proven himself to be good enough. Got a bit of luck what with how poor Verrips was, Olsen being out and also being crap but took his chance and proved himself to be better than the pair of them.

Davies - Keep for another season. Decent keeper for this level and would have no issues if he was to be called upon. Not sure how much money we have to get back up that's any better.

Eastwood - If he's still under contract, loan. If not, let him go. The fact that he's been here so long without getting near the starting line up, even back in League One suggests he's getting paid more to do nothing here than he'd get for being a first choice keeper in the Conference.

Dewhurst - Loan to a higher level than NL North

Wes - keep him. I had my doubts when he arrived out of nowhere with no announcement. But he has proven to be athletic, level headed and can stop shots. Sometimes a bit shit-pants with the ball at his feet but better for me than anyone since Henderson who was to me the best keeper I have seen in a United shirt, better than Jim Brown, Alan Kelly, Simon Tracey and Paddy Kenny

Davies - keep as cover, but needs match experience

Eastwood - P45. I've never even played him at FIFA

Dewhurst - loan out

pommpey

Offer new contracts to Wes & Adam Davies. Let Eastwood go and look to loan Dewhurst out.

The key for me is how much it would cost to get replacements in who are as good or better than we have now. There has been talk of Dieng at QPR or Cooper at Plymouth. I assume both would cost money that could be better spent strengthening elsewhere.

Wes in particular has earned a new deal with his performances this year.

Wes is number 1 for start of next season without doubt. It's his shirt to lose and barring an Olsen esque level of shitness he'll keep it for all next season.

Davies renewed so long as he's on a reasonable wage and give him every cup match.

Dewhurst out in loan, preferably to national league or L2.

Eastwood released.

There's always keepers knocking about as free transfers during the season should we need one. Qpr managed to find about 7 this season!

Wes has demonstrated that he his good enough to be in a promotion side : he very nearly was !
Davies is a good back up, so nothing needs to be added.

Extend Wes, let Davies expire, same with Eastwood if his contract is up, sell for nominal fee otherwise, loan Dewhurst and see what happens

Extend Wes, let Davies expire, same with Eastwood if his contract is up, sell for nominal fee otherwise, loan Dewhurst and see what happens
I'm assuming part 2 to this is to then get another backup/No 1 through the door?

I'm assuming part 2 to this is to then get another backup/No 1 through the door?

Basically that's my thinking. Davies always seemed like a stop gap just to cover Olsen not working out. Think that there would be plenty of free agents as good as Davies who'd likely not be on as much money

Wes has earned the number 1 spot this season but I'm still not entirely convinced so we do need decent competition as well. George Long was really good for a year and we know how that ended. There's another year left on his contract and if he starts where he left off then we should look to extend.

Davies hasn't played but he's a good keeper. Sadly, I think he'll leave for first team football. Maybe even to Wednesday as he seems keen on coming back to the area. If he wants to stay, offer another year with option to extend if both club and player want to.

Eastwood has been here so long and it hasn't worked out. Time to leave.

Dewhurst has only played at non-league level and apparently done well but he needs a league loan.

We’re apparently renewing Davies’ contract. Right choice IMO, solid back up who now knows the club.

I’d let Eastwood go now. He needs to for his own benefit.

Young lads - loan out where possible.
Evidence is good to back up.....

Wes - Keep as #1 with Davies as competition unless a better #1 is found (Bazunu from Citeh would interest me) in which case keep Wes and let Davies go.

Eastwood - let him go. For his sake as much as ours.

Dewhurst - maybe worth a shot as 3rd choice keeper, but let's not forget...

Amissah - highly rated and an absolute unit for his age, had a decent loan spell at a low level this season. Could be a better 3rd choice than Dewhurst.

Depends which one of them really "brings it" in the upcoming pre-season

Ok. Like Alan Biggs exclusive report. But, as out of contract we can reduce the salary. Be good to see him play in pre season friendlies which if he stays I'm sure he will. Not that I'll get to see any unless in Faro Stadium.

Let Eastwood go for some football and a career further down the ladder.

Wes 1st choice, he's easily earned that.

Tell Davies it's his job to push him as nunber 2.

Leave the youth kids to grow n learn..

Somebody said get hendo back, he's off to Newcastle by all accounts, wait till we see the fee, it'll be eye watering..

Wes is first choice keeper, he's been brilliant this season and deserves the number 1 jersey.

If Davies is happy to be his backup then that's an easy decision there.

Dewhurst needs a league 1 loan next season or he'll go the same route as George Willis. GW was an outstanding young keeper but was never given a chance and was released (by Adkins iirc).

I think I read somewhere that Eastwood is on low wages and is a good lad so is essentially kept on as an extra keeper in training! If true then fair play to him, he can keep doing what he's doing

Foderingham - keep, he's still at a good age, he's earned the right to be number one and kept the most clean sheets last season. He's still got 18 months on his contract which I'm sure will be extended.

Davies - offer a new one year deal, a good keeper to have to push Wes and as back up.

Eastwood - he's 25 and should be playing regular first team football at this stage of of his career. It's clearly not going to happen at Sheffield United. I doubt we'll sell him and I don't know what stage his contract is in. Time to move on.

Dewhurst - he's had a great season at Boston in National League North. Send him on loan to League Two until January, if he seems settled at that level then send him out on loan to League One after that then reassess next summer.

Foderingham - keep, he's still at a good age, he's earned the right to be number one and kept the most clean sheets last season. He's still got 18 months on his contract which I'm sure will be extended.

Davies - offer a new one year deal, a good keeper to have to push Wes and as back up.

Eastwood - he's 25 and should be playing regular first team football at this stage of of his career. It's clearly not going to happen at Sheffield United. I doubt we'll sell him and I don't know what stage his contract is in. Time to move on.

Dewhurst - he's had a great season at Boston in National League North. Send him on loan to League Two until January, if he seems settled at that level then send him out on loan to League One after that then reassess next summer.
Agreed, goalkeeper situation is the easiest by far to sort out.
It's up to Davies if he wants to stay, I wouldn't offer too much money but would play him in the cups.

Sell them all, pocket the cash, play rush back keepers next season.

For me as regards Wes , it’s not just a matter of keep but more a case of hang on to for dear life .

Since gaining his place he has been outstanding , the best keeper in the Championship by some distance imo . I have to go back to the days of Alan Kelly to think of one I am as comfortable with as him .

I'm relatively fine with what the club is doing.

I think Eastwood should have moved on however I can appreciate that the logical think to do with Amissah and Dewhurst is to get them on a League Two or National League loan for a full season to see if they can genuinely compete next season.

Wes as number one is now a no brainer and I think Davies is a good keeper to have competing. Hopefully he stays.

This young 19 year old, not sure where he fits in but low cost potential high upside.

Back
Top Bottom