A chat with Glyn Hodges

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

shreds1975

Reaction score
The Four Blades can't always get to the pub together at the moment, but being at home does have it's advantages as it meant we were able to chat to Glyn Hodges this week about his career. Glyn was generous with his time, so it's a lengthy pod but you can listen to it in several listens.

Or on your usual podcast sites/apps/hosts.

Some great insight into his early career pre-Blades, having Gazza flat share at Newcastle, playing for Wales, what was going through his mind with that goal v Manchester United, that comical celebration on home debut v Derby, what happened in the tunnel at Sunderland, some scrapes with Vinnie and an obligatory (for any player of the Bassett era) David Barnes story....amongst a whole lot of other great insight, stories and laughs. His 1-11 of teammates and who he had to leave out are amazing. It wasn't just his left foot that was magic, he is a genuinely great bloke. Enjoy.....

The Four Blades can't always get to the pub together at the moment, but being at home does have it's advantages as it meant we were able to chat to Glyn Hodges this week about his career. Glyn was generous with his time, so it's a lengthy pod but you can listen to it in several listens.

Some great insight into his early career pre-Blades, having Gazza flat share at Newcastle, playing for Wales, what was going through his mind with that goal v Manchester United, that comical celebration on home debut v Derby, what happened in the tunnel at Sunderland, some scrapes with Vinnie and an obligatory (for any player of the Bassett era) David Barnes story....amongst a whole lot of other great insight, stories and laughs. His 1-11 of teammates and who he had to leave out are amazing. It wasn't just his left foot that was magic, he is a genuinely great bloke. Enjoy.....

Great to listen to, one of my favourite Blades players.

These are always good but Hodgy might be the best guest you’ve ever had. Top listening - thanks to the 4 Blades and to him!

Really enjoyed this and well worth a listen. It was interesting to hear how many times he had been to watch us before (finally) becoming a Blade. And just think if we had signed him in the summer, we might have won the league... :D

Hodgy, Hodgy,
Hodgy, Hodgy, Hodges!
Hodgy, Hodgy,
Hodgy, Hodgy, Hodges!...

To the tune of Alouette, Gentille Alouette.

With the obligatory elbow action.

Roker Park in 91 got very hairy outside, thanks to Vinny and Hodgy not exactly charming the locals.

In the Villa FA Cup game, Hodges infuriated Milosevic by ankle tapping and elbowing his ribs. Milosevic complained to the ref but the ref ignored him. Soon after Hodges had the ball, Milosevic tried to clatter him but Hodges foiled him with a quick dragback, and then sold him a dummy. The crowd loved it!

Really funny this one, to all the podcasters, the player episodes are brilliant, keep up the good work...

In the Villa FA Cup game, Hodges infuriated Milosevic by ankle tapping and elbowing his ribs. Milosevic complained to the ref but the ref ignored him. Soon after Hodges had the ball, Milosevic tried to clatter him but Hodges foiled him with a quick dragback, and then sold him a dummy. The crowd loved it!

Wasn't that his last ever appearance? Might have been his last touch in a United shirt, quite a fitting finale if it was!

Seems strange the TV cameras being on the John Street side. Obvs that was when we had no John Street Stand.

Loved him, but I always remember what Gordon Strachan said about him, he said that when Hodges finally finished playing he would look back on his career and think why did I waste it… I think about it now and Strachan was spot on, Hodges did waste his career, because he had so much ability he could have played for one of the top sides if he had a rocket up his arse and tried more. So much ability and a wand of a left foot.

Loved him, but I always remember what Gordon Strachan said about him, he said that when Hodges finally finished playing he would look back on his career and think why did I waste it… I think about it now and Strachan was spot on, Hodges did waste his career, because he had so much ability he could have played for one of the top sides if he had a rocket up his arse and tried more. So much ability and a wand of a left foot.
Think you may be right in your assessment Harry......but given all that, what a player Glyn was. We've had some exceptional players at United, many, such as Cowans, McGrath, Speed, Currie, all brought something to the team that elevated us in ways that we've rarely seen. Glyn, on his day, was a delight to watch, and we were lucky to have signed him....a great player indeed.

Fantastic player who seemed to be able to play at walking pace. Far more talent than half the shit playing in the premier league today. Here’s looking at you Mr Zaha, Mr Greasy Grealish etc

I dont think it's as straightforward as that by a long shot. Plus, Gordon Strachan will always be an absolute cunt in my eyes.

Go on Hodgy, stick one on him...

Always remember his response to the question, what would you have been if not a footballer in the program, his answer was......fat 😁

He had a wand of a left foot..... maybe that was because he is left footed.

Nobody ever says that about right footed players.

Educated Right Foot/Wand of a Right Foot/Right Foot screamer - all phrases that commentators never use for some reason. Presumably because right footed players are more common, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom