Derby fans aren't happy (and I don't blame them)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Being ripped off for the forthcoming United v Derby match. United need to rethink ticket prices for home and away fans.
(The last comment on page one is from a Tyler Durden, surely not.the same one who used to post on here!?)
The rule is that you're not allowed to charge away fans more than your cheapest ticket. It's £37 on the kop that day and £42 on South 😳

I’m sure there’s a league rule….we can only charge away fans the same as home fans.

So if we charged Derby fans £25…yes they’d bring 1000 more
but then we’d be forced to charge £25 to our fans….doubt extra fans would turn up.
So overall the club will be well down…income wise.

My opinion is there a “straw that broke the camels back” price.
Really think we need to stay close to Champiomship average.
So my opinion is that if we charged Derby £32 then it’s quite expensive but 2,500 would attend
where as if we charge £37 then many Derby fans will think this is a rip-off price, so only 1,250 attend.
You might be right there, was about to say that we couldn't charge away fans more than our most expensive tickets, but its not to say that we can't charge them less than our most expensive...

So i just had a quick look on our home tickets page... Turns out our cheapest tickets on the Kop for a CAT A game (which Derby is classed as) is already £35!!! BLUT is £37 so we've charged the same.

When did our match day prices get so expensive?

As for your example of 2500 away fans attending, they are only allocated 1565 tickets according to the Derby website.

What a money grabbing set of twats we've become as a club, Season tickets are fairly well priced, but creeping up, but matchday tickets are ridiculous now. Hull away is £27 and WBA was £23. We're way off these two.

By comparison, just booked cinema tickets for a prime time viewing.

The rule is that you're not allowed to charge away fans more than your cheapest ticket. It's £37 on the kop that day and £42 on South 😳
The rule is actually you cannot charge more than comparable part of the ground for home fans. This is the rule:
1631785467200.png

As said, I think besides the argument about prices being too high, it should be whether Bramall Lane Lower Tier is comparable with with Bramall Lane Upper Tier as United are charging (£37 CAT A*, £33 CAT A), or whether it should be the Kop front (£35 CAT A*, £31 CAT A)

On each ticket! Not just a booking fee for the transaction

It is the same price...

View attachment 121104
£36 includes the £1 fee for booking online (they have to include it in the ticket price as its now per ticket and not per transaction as previous). So actual price for buying from ticket office is £35. They are charging Derby fans £37 which is same price as Bramall Lane Upper Tier.

Have to agree with most on here, always thought we were quite fair with ticket pricing. I know that every business has been badly hit by Covid, but even so, that sort of money is a lot to some people. I would prefer to see BDBTL as full as possible, and if that means slicing a few quid off the ticket prices, it should be considered.

I do remember the boycott though, I joined in and was raging that we'd sold out anyway.
think its slightly different for away
It’s about £45 for a junior season ticket, I don’t think there’s any logic to that argument. Perhaps its the pricing for POTG supporters that enable the club to maintain season ticket costs at such a very competitive price point?

Whilst its easy to criticise the cost of individual match day tickets, I think the club should be applauded for their season ticket pricing, which has remained fairly consistent for the last few years. 👏🏻
yes your right the season ticket pricing is fantastic but fans who cant afford it through one reason or another are being asked to pay too high a price for matchday tickets imo and its just not fair

£30 is plenty.

In an ideal world I agree but the owners reply might be

I’ve shown ambition by putting my money where my mouth is
so now I’m waiting for the fans to back it up and show their ambition by putting their money where their mouth is.

We’re kind of copying the Chansiri model and it’s a concern. If you buy a season ticket the pricing isn’t too bad.
We’ve kept all our best players this season and added some new talent.

Who would have thought we’d have 80 million pounds worth of players sat on the bench against Preston.
That statistic is incredible and something we’d have only dreamt of a few year ago.

Very risky pricing strategy when people are out of the habit of going to football matches.

There will be a decent chunk of people out there who went regularly pre-covid but haven't been back yet for whatever reason (health, got used to doing something else on a Saturday, lost interest last season etc). There's probably a time-limited window to get them attending again and charging £40 a match is definitely not going to help.

In an ideal world I agree but the owners reply might be

I’ve shown ambition by putting my money where my mouth is
so now I’m waiting for the fans to back it up and show their ambition by helping the club

We’re kind of copying the Chansiri model and it’s a concern.
We’ve kept all our best players this season and added some new talent.

Who would have thought we’d have 80 million pounds worth of players sat on the bench against Preston.
That statistic is something we’d have only dreamt of a few year ago.

I don't expect us to be charging £15 per match by the way. Our cup prices against Southampton are decent.

I think our adult pricing should be for league games:

Cat C: £20
Cat B: £25
Cat A: £30

Even if they insist on whacking a £1 booking fee on top of those prices.

Very risky pricing strategy when people are out of the habit of going to football matches.

There will be a decent chunk of people out there who went regularly pre-covid but haven't been back yet for whatever reason (health, got used to doing something else on a Saturday, lost interest last season etc). There's probably a time-limited window to get them attending again and charging £40 a match is definitely not going to help.

So Derby fans are moaning about ticket prices when they have been cheating financial fair play for years. Isn't this a chance for our club to try and redress their cheating albeit by a little bit?
(Apparently another 9 point deduction is pending for them soon - although I did hear this news from a Wednesdayite)
And also I would be totally calm with charging more to away fans whose clubs have been involved in financial cheating and/or gone into admin and not paying their bills (pigs, Derby, Birmingham, Leicester, Leeds etc).

So Derby fans are moaning about ticket prices when they have been cheating financial fair play for years. Isn't this a chance for our club to try and redress their cheating albeit by a little bit?
(Apparently another 9 point deduction is pending for them soon - although I did hear this news from a Wednesdayite)
And also I would be totally calm with charging more to away fans whose clubs have been involved in financial cheating and/or gone into admin and not paying their bills (pigs, Derby, Birmingham, Leicester, Leeds etc).

Maybe so but I don't think we should be charging over £30 to Preston fans.

Makes this seem like an eternity ago, ones of the largest budgets in the league, but one of the cheapest match day tickets (I am aware it was only a tenner a few times a season)

Out of curiosity do we know what PNE usually take away for midweek league games? How much was it reduced?
A notable number of young kids ran on to the pitch at the end PNE - so obviously not many go to school in that part of the world and also perhaps that they (presumably U16 concessions) can afford the concessionary discount offered by SUFC. And if kids can afford it - it makes a bit of a mockery that adults can't afford it.
Also, I presume we can ramp up admission prices for clubs with idiotic fans who run on our pitch at the end, increasing our stewarding costs and our likelihood of getting a fine from the FA.
I would be totally happy with an airline style variable pricing model using factors such as (away club involved in financial cheating?/away club likely to bring idiotic supporters/cause damage (hello WY seat chuckers); size of away support; do we want to create a home advantage etc) rather than a flat £20 to everyone.
As we have seen everyone else in this decision is involved in a huge amount of cheating/gamesmanship to try and get an advantage wherever they can and maybe we should do the same to try and level the playing field?

Last edited:
I don't expect us to be charging £15 per match by the way. Our cup prices against Southampton are decent.

I think our adult pricing should be for league games:

Cat C: £20
Cat B: £25
Cat A: £30

Even if they insist on whacking a £1 booking fee on top of those prices.

Agree, those prices seems fair, with most games being cat B.
However I would have “let’s fill the stadium” cat C at £10
Choose a Saturday match where we expect a really low crowd but make sure it’s massively advertised.
Wouldnt surprise me if we don’t fill the stadium because low prices don’t seem to encourage floating support…it’s attractive winning football that’s the attraction.

The club might say we’re currently averaging 27,500 based on the high “pay on the day” prices.
So it doesn’t make much sense to introduce a policy for cheaper tickets,
If we fail to gain promotion this season and sell off all our saleable assets….then gates will be down to 21K (mainly ST holders) next season based on the current pricing.

HOWEVER maybe the owner DOES have a long term pricing strategy, a tweaked better balanced Chansiri style strategy.
Maybe he’s targeting that we’ll sell a minimum 25K season tickets over the coming seasons.
If he keeps ST prices at a decent/affordable level….then high “pay on the day“ ticket prices might encourage even higher ST sales.

Don't forget your £1 booking fee per ticket by the way (not applicable if bought at the ground).

That fee really winds me up. It’s a disincentive to use the automated system that saves the club money. Instead it encourages you to attend the ticket office and use up staff time. Bananas.

And for the early cup games when the system to load your season card wasn’t working, you still had to pay £1 extra to buy online, and then had to attend to ticket office in person anyway to fetch the bloody ticket. 🤯🤯🤯

The price they are charging is too much. However the argument that lower prices means more food and drink revenue is true, but not a penny of that will go to the club, as the contract with Compass for the catering is still ongoing, so the club don’t give a shit if they sell a million pies or none.

The price they are charging is too much. However the argument that lower prices means more food and drink revenue is true, but not a penny of that will go to the club, as the contract with Compass for the catering is still ongoing, so the club don’t give a shit if they sell a million pies or none.

Also the young staff can’t cope with the current queues, they are so slow it’s almost funny
so we don’t want to encourage even more people trying to buy a pie and pint.

What's all the moaning about? Have these fans never been to Leeds or pigs in last 10 years or any premiership London club before the ticket price agreement. Can anyone remember how much it was at barnsley last time we played them I'm sure it was mid £30's. Yes it's all rip-off but until all the clubs get together and agree a set price it's put up or stop at home with her in doors.

What a weird way to look at it... It's not like Derbys fans were involved in selling the ground back to the owner etc

is that how the contract is structured? Outsource the catering and take nothing in revenue?

What a weird way to look at it... It's not like Derbys fans were involved in selling the ground back to the owner etc
And yet the Derby fans clapped along with it. And have benefitted from it. We couldn't afford to sign Waghorn (wages) at the time they were lower table and we were pushing to come up. They should have been relegated not Wycombe who presumably are not gaming the wage levels.
The FL has shown it cant put pressure on these clubs to change - so maybe we need to do that via their supporters. What do we owe Derby County fans, years of 'hospitality' at the baseball ground in one of the worst rusty throwbacks ever?
But hey lets shaft our club to be fair to other fans who support clubs that cheat!

Back
Top Bottom