£40m worth of sales before any new signings - The Athletic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rodley

Reaction score
With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

Not sure how we’ll fund a rebuild. Unless I’m missing some obvious ones?

O’Connell

There’s no chance surely anyone will take him having had a season off with such a major injury? He’ll need to prove he can play first team football for at least 10-15 games before anyone would even look. Think maybe January, but we’ll need to sell in the summer.

Funds wide: Berge, Rammers, Egan, Moose, and one from Brewster & McB
Wages wise: Lunny, Jags, Rodwell, Robinson and one from Verrips/Foth/Moore

It's not uncommon for relegated clubs to sell some of their main assets, especially those on high wages.

Just a fact of life that we need to accept and live with unfortunately.

In any case, it's about time some of our promising U23's got a sniff in the first team, so it wont be a disaster in my eyes if we ship out some of the seniors to make room. Bar a few exceptions, I have become sick of watching most of them this season anyway.

A lot depends on which players actually have suitors. Berge and Egan will be wanted and should cover the shortfall between them.

But we also need to get rid of some players and probably take a financial hit in doing so. Mousset being the biggest issue.

Once sorted, we need to buy creativity and replace any big name sales. The market should be favourable for us to do so, but it’s still a tough ask that needs dealing with ASAP.

It's not uncommon for relegated clubs to sell some of their main assets, especially those on high wages.

Just a fact of life that we need to accept and live with unfortunately.

In any case, it's about time some of our promising U23's got a sniff in the first team, so it wont be a disaster in my eyes if we ship out some of the seniors to make room. Bar a few exceptions, I have become sick of watching most of them this season anyway.
Agreed. I see some fans on social media saying "don't be a selling club" but not one club goes down and doesn't lose at least one star player. I'd happily see Berge go and keep the rest of the assests.

It’s one thing saying we need to raise £40m but I can’t imagine that many of the first team will be in demand from other PL clubs. I’d like to think we will get circa £30m for Berge and we might get £10m for Egan, so there’s the £40m. Beyond those two I’m struggling to see where the interest will come. Possibly Bogle and Rammers. Hope we don’t lose any of the young lads coming through.

With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

In terms of outgoings I think your near the mark with Berge and some of the defenders Egan and baldock probably being the most saleable assets. What I will say I think the club is budgeting for Berge to make up a significant proportion of that 40 million certainly a significant amount more than what we paid for him. As much as it would wind me up no end as it would make his signing completely nonsensical I think ramsdale is also a highly desirable saleable asset.

I’m fine with us needing to sell in order to fund a rebuild however if that isn’t the case and we just need to sell to cover losses I’d like clarification as to why that would potentially be the case I understand the drop in revenue to the championship is significant but parachute payments help to smooth that transition not make it a sudden jolt as is indicated here. The only example of it being such a sudden shock to the system is Huddersfield and in that instance the parachute payments were used as a way of financing the purchase of the club.

7 million for Mousset, that's quite funny. We'll do well to get 7p for him, I just hope he's on a massive relegation wage decrease.

What you find in these types of arguments is that players the fans would prefer to sell aren’t worth much.
Where as the players fans would like to keep tend to bring in the most money.

Young age ensures a decent valuation....the conservative estimates for me are
Think the only players with true PL quality/ value is Berge....over 20 million.
Brewster 12 to 15 million and McBurnie 12 million.
Ramsdale would also be worth at least 10 million.
O’Connell could be worth 20 million but PL clubs will want to see how he reacts to his injury.

There‘s another factor effecting prices.
We don’t yet know how covid will effect the market....maybe next season PL clubs will be more financially prudent....lowering many valuations.

If it’s £40m required that’s more than just Egan and Berge.. would normally be JOC but he’s not going to be fit it seems even for pre season so we need another one or two High value sales.. might get someone daft enough to give us £8m for McBurnie? We may also have to lose Ramsdale for around £10m.

If it’s £40m required that’s more than just Egan and Berge.. would normally be JOC but he’s not going to be fit it seems even for pre season so we need another one or two High value sales.. might get someone daft enough to give us £8m for McBurnie? We may also have to lose Ramsdale for around £10m.
We’ll get more than that for mcburnie... and why the fuck would we get only 10 mil for Ramsdale when I’d argue he’s worth more now than what we paid for him😂😂

We’ll get more than that for mcburnie... and why the fuck would we get only 10 mil for Ramsdale when I’d argue he’s worth more now than what we paid for him😂😂

I think all values are going to drop with the Covid effect. We only have paid 10 or so million for Ramsdale the rest is dependent on appearances

It's all guesswork the Athletic dont know anymore than we do.If the prince is serious a bout getting promotion we wont sell all our main assets .Not as though we have a squad full of premiership players to sell all the quality we do have would stop us challenging next season.
Will be plenty of this shit coming out over the next few months

Could be bollocks but not sure anyone could have a go at the club if they sold Berge and Egan to net the 40 million

Personally think we would do well to get 25-30 for Berge and 8-10 for Egan but they are the two.

No-one is bidding on Jack for big money for a while.

Not sure there is one other player that would net us more than 7-8 million currently outside of Ramsdale but maybe that is just me. Not even sure anyone is that interested in Baldock or Fleck anymore. Mousset and McBurnie would not even get us half the money we paid for them.

So assuming we don't sell Ramsdale if we have to raise funds which we will (every club has to going down) then Berge and Egan will be the two you think will depart.

I would sell Berge. Probably our most valuable and saleable asset and whilst he is obviously a talented footballer he doesn't really fit our system in my view. I hear the pleas to promote our crop of U23s but I think there is a massive gulf between the league they play in and the PL or Championship and whist I would like to see some being given some playing time I do not think they are the immediate answer. Look at Brewsters performances and he is well ahead of those players. The secret is to recruit cleverly as we did pretty much in L1 and Championship with players like Egan, JOC,Baldock, Fleck, Didsy, Duffy etc. Other clubs have done it. Barnsley, Reading, are examples. Sadly once we got to EPL CW seemed to lose his touch. We also need to look abroad. I am not sure where Brexit leaves us in that respect.

Must be a yorkshire thing with valuations i've seen on here. It's not the same transfer market like it was 20 years ago why would we sell Egan for 10-20m and sell Berge for 20m 5 million less with what we paid for him? I'd sell baldock and mcbrnie if any decent offers came in

if true, be interesting to know if that’s playing budget or transfer budget - as I understand it we work under an overall playing budget which includes wages etc. Also as most transfers are paid over a number of years that £40m wouldn’t be instant income.

A reduction of playing budget of £40m for next season seems much more likely.

Makes you wonder what we would look like right now if we hadn't had that last promotion, and had just stayed in the Championship, dunit.......:tumbleweed:

Could be bollocks but not sure anyone could have a go at the club if they sold Berge and Egan to net the 40 million

Personally think we would do well to get 25-30 for Berge and 8-10 for Egan but they are the two.

No-one is bidding on Jack for big money for a while.

Not sure there is one other player that would net us more than 7-8 million currently outside of Ramsdale but maybe that is just me. Not even sure anyone is that interested in Baldock or Fleck anymore. Mousset and McBurnie would not even get us half the money we paid for them.

So assuming we don't sell Ramsdale if we have to raise funds which we will (every club has to going down) then Berge and Egan will be the two you think will depart.

Ramsdale is the one to keep.

Egan obviously has been a quality defender averaged over his time with us, but has been as gaffe prone as anyone in the last year, so I think he's replaceable if we get a good offer and we're planning on spending money on a replacement.

I think £40m is fair enough, Bournemouth had to raise about £100m, Watford sold £40m worth of players, Norwich sold £40m worth.

Back
Top Bottom