Your trips to Wembley....without the Blades.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bert only ever went to see England once. 1997 lost 1-0 to Italy.
Horrible atmosphere, Rule Brittania, No surrender to the IRA, God save the Queen.
Rabid nationalism from half the crowd.
Bert never went again.

To be honest Bert, that alienated me from supporting England. I'm sure most England supporters are decent people ( Phil Balls Up) but too many Tommy Robinson types in evidence and the antics of nationalist vermin terrorising European cities in places such as Luxembourg and Switzerland not to mention Dublin spoilt the feeling forever.

I'm totally indifferent to England at international tournaments.

Before anyone says it changed just one comment, the Old Port of Marseillle

The Rabid Nationalism point is interesting. Because Rabid Support is what you want as a fan, what you want to be part of. And, if it's your National Team, then "Rabid Nationalism" sort of fits the bill - if you ignore the connotations. I take your point that Nationalistic songs, nothing to do with the game, about wars & history & shit are a pain in the arse. I stopped singing the National Anthem at games years ago. I'm an Atheist & a Republican. So God Save The Queen don't work for me personally.

Agree with most of that Phil but find all the Jingoism around the national team un palatable.

Agree with most of that Phil but find all the Jingoism around the national team un palatable.
Give us a specific example of that jingoism please. Just so I can understand better what you mean.

Before anyone says it changed just one comment, the Old Port of Marseillle
I couldn't not respond to this. I know from people who were there that Marseille was caused by a huge amount of anti English hostility from the locals. The England fans who kicked off were defending themselves. Sure that spilled over into some unruly stuff but the trigger was not from the English.

Just remembered, saw Grimsby Town beat Bournemouth in Auto Windscreens final. My Dad and Great Uncle thought they would never see their beloved Mariners play at Wembley.
I work in "Town" and I remember they've been loads since! Shame that they're struggling at the minute, but hopefully the re-appointment of Hurst will help.

It's really frustrating when I am in Grimsby and seeing so many Liverpool or Man U shirts! Does my nut in to be honest! If they supported Town they'd et upwards of 10,000 every week.

I couldn't not respond to this. I know from people who were there that Marseille was caused by a huge amount of anti English hostility from the locals. The England fans who kicked off were defending themselves. Sure that spilled over into some unruly stuff but the trigger was not from the English.
Well I suppose the "people who were there" would give you their version of events. Always the victims eh ?

Like it or not English " fans" on the continent do have a deserved bad reputation after numerous incidents of hooliganism and rioting. But oh Johnny Foreigner eh !

I work in "Town" and I remember they've been loads since! Shame that they're struggling at the minute, but hopefully the re-appointment of Hurst will help.

It's really frustrating when I am in Grimsby and seeing so many Liverpool or Man U shirts! Does my nut in to be honest! If they supported Town they'd et upwards of 10,000 every week.
My dad bemoans the fact that they get low crowds. He talks about a packed Pontoon Stand and on the side terraces.

My dad bemoans the fact that they get low crowds. He talks about a packed Pontoon Stand and on the side terraces.
I always hear from work colleagues how good their away support is, which it is to be fair. I've tackled a few of the glory fans when working there. I get some stick at work from two Man U fans and I just reply with at least I support my local team and they have no reply! This is what it's about supporting your local team, experiencing the good and bad times. I've so much time for fan of clubs from League 2 and 1, non-league. To go home and away and support Rochdale for example, I can imagine there's a connection there that you can't get higher up, maybe even clubs like ours because there's thousands of us and at the likes of Rochdale your part of a small band of fans.

Saying that I wouldn't want to be a Town fan, to never have a chance of the Premier League must be hard in a way, but at present I long for a season like we had when we got promted out of League One!

I went to Wembley in 1995 and 2015 to watch my second team Bristol Rovers in the playoff final. I also went in 2013 to watch England lose 1-0 to Germany in a friendly.

I always hear from work colleagues how good their away support is, which it is to be fair. I've tackled a few of the glory fans when working there. I get some stick at work from two Man U fans and I just reply with at least I support my local team and they have no reply! This is what it's about supporting your local team, experiencing the good and bad times. I've so much time for fan of clubs from League 2 and 1, non-league. To go home and away and support Rochdale for example, I can imagine there's a connection there that you can't get higher up, maybe even clubs like ours because there's thousands of us and at the likes of Rochdale your part of a small band of fans.

Saying that I wouldn't want to be a Town fan, to never have a chance of the Premier League must be hard in a way, but at present I long for a season like we had when we got promted out of League One!
Playing cricket in Lincs, I meet fans of Sunny United, Lincoln City and Grimsby Town which is far more interesting than meeting those who support Man Utd or Liverpool. Sometimes see fans of Hull City when in Barton upon Humber

Playing cricket in Lincs, I meet fans of Sunny United, Lincoln City and Grimsby Town which is far more interesting than meeting those who support Man Utd or Liverpool. Sometimes see fans of Hull City when in Barton upon Humber
I didn't realise until I worked in Grimsby how much they don't like Yorkshire but its more banter than anything and aimed generally at Hully Gullies as they call them!

I agree much better to chat to fans from smaller teams than the glory supporters. I always feel annoyed when listening to Talksport when they never say to the fans that ring in why they support Man U or whoever when they're from London, or smaller places like Swindon.

1979 Wembley Stadium. The Who, supported by AC/DC , The Stranglers and Nils Lofgren.

My parents were there. My Dad's mate had been grumbling the whole trip about hating Nils Lofgren, but after he say him he said 'That was brilliant, I've no idea who I was thinking of!'.

"Two German bombers" how's that for starters ?
Right. With you. Jingoism that's got nothing to do with football rivalry. I'm condemning, not condoning. (Although, mainly I just find that boring & pointless). But, I am firmly for a hostile, but not violent, atmosphere in football grounds, including at England games. Chanting, shouting, your lot are shit, bit of bollocks, who the fucking hell are you, we're here what you going to do about it. All the standard stuff associated with non violent terrace culture. And, in the host cities. Shake hands. Sorry, don't speak your language. May I speak English. Alright mate. Are we having this fucking drink or not. My shout. Have you ever been to England. Who are your Club team. All the standard stuff associated with tourism & drinking culture.

Football jingoism. Not national jingoism.

I don't doubt your experience of nationalistic jingoism. But, take an away game in Kazakhstan. The fans who go there are a mature set of experienced & resourceful travelers. I've seen an England XI play in a country not recognised by the UN. You won't get Ten German Bombers sung at those games.

1988 Liverpool v Wimbledon Charity Shield. Bit random but had just moved to Wimbledon and a colleague, the late Dave Warmingham, got tickets. Remember being struck by the quality of the football which was the first time I had seen top flight football live.

2010 England v Bulgaria Euro qualifier. Took my visiting Australian father in law who looked like Donk out of Crocodile Dundee and quite by chance got sat in front of 3 porkers who thought they were going to spend 90 minutes slagging Jags off. Disabused them of that idea quite quickly and never heard a word from them all game after that.

Man City v Newcastle 1976 League Cup final, mate was a City fan got me a ticket.

England v Holland 1988 2-2, Gullet, Keuleman, Rijkaard, Van Basten, only time I've seen England play.

Luton v Forest , League Cup Final, don't know year.

Saint Helens v Leeds Rugby Final.

Warrington v Wakefield.

Hull v Hull KR
I was at Man City Newcastle too,went for a laugh with some mates
Got tickets for a ridiculously low price applied through sheff & hallamshire FA (I ran a team at the time)
Think the tickets were about 6 quid!!
Stood with geordies Denis tuert(sp) got the winner with an overhead kick
Wembley was a shithole then too
Great day out though

I was at Man City Newcastle too,went for a laugh with some mates
Got tickets for a ridiculously low price applied through sheff & hallamshire FA (I ran a team at the time)
Think the tickets were about 6 quid!!
Stood with geordies Denis tuert(sp) got the winner with an overhead kick
Wembley was a shithole then too
Great day out though
Asa Hartford also played. Geordies had Supermac, Pat Howard and Stuart Barrowclough both from Barnsley. Not sure if John Tudor played. We got a night train and arrived at St Pancras about 3am. Place was snided with mad geordies.

England v Northern Ireland
England v Holland
England v Norway

England v Norway (When Roger Nilsen and Jostein Flo played for Norway)

3 x NFL games

3 x Manchester City League Cup Final games v Liverpool, Chelsea and Aston Villa

The Who, supported by AC/DC, The Stranglers & Nils Lofgren

England school boys v West Germany school boys, late 1960's or early 1970's organised by school, Hinde House.

1977 sheffield fc v billiricay town fa vase final about a dozen of us went down in minibus we were on tunnel end and stewards opened gates and let us stand just under royal box finished it off with a fantastic night in lambeth with wifes south london relatives in little cockney pub off lambeth bridge only a piano in pub and all locals singing cockney songs we left em with a rendition of ilkley moor ba tat great day great night
Went to this one as I was living in Billericay at the time .I went with friends from the town and I think the Billericay support was much larger then Sheffield 's. Anyway I think Sheffield scored first and I jumped up and stood out as there was complete silence from those around me . Never mind those were innocent days and everyone was happy with the 1-1 draw in the end.

York City v Oxford United 2010, I thought at the time the Oxford manager would do well...

York City v Macclesfield and city won, so actually saw the team I wanted to win, do so at Wembley!

England v Northern Ireland
I doubt it was the same one, you're probably too young, but I was there in November 1967, as a ball boy, which was quite an experience. Until just now, I thought it was either a friendly, or a Home International, but I looked it up and it was a European Championship qualifier and England won 2-0.

Peter Thompson was on the left wing in front of me and I was surprised at how tall he was, but more than anything, I was mesmerised by how quick the play was, how good the control and touch was and how also long the grass was. I kept a divot for years after.

We were all given a set of England training kit to keep and I've managed to lose all of it over the years, which is a shame.

England school boys v West Germany school boys, late 1960's or early 1970's organised by school, Hinde House.
Hinde house and Wembley. Both having a horse story. One controlled a crowd of spectators, the other was castrated before a crowd of spectators.

I doubt it was the same one, you're probably too young, but I was there in November 1967, as a ball boy, which was quite an experience. Until just now, I thought it was either a friendly, or a Home International, but I looked it up and it was a European Championship qualifier and England won 2-0.

Peter Thompson was on the left wing in front of me and I was surprised at how tall he was, but more than anything, I was mesmerised by how quick the play was, how good the control and touch was and how also long the grass was. I kept a divot for years after.

We were all given a set of England training kit to keep and I've managed to lose all of it over the years, which is a shame.

It isnt often when Ramsey picked a team that had wingers. Thompson missed the cut for both the 1966 and 1970 World Cup squads. Badger said Thompson was the most difficult opponent he has faced.

It isnt often when Ramsey picked a team that had wingers. Thompson missed the cut for both the 1966 and 1970 World Cup squads. Badger said Thompson was the most difficult opponent he has faced.

The winger I saw give Len the most problems was Don Rogers , the former Swindon , Palace and QPR player .

He was quite tall and well built compared to most other wingers at the time and relied on pace and timing rather than trickery to beat his man , generally referred to as a push and run winger , and boy was he good at it .

I saw him give LB a torrid time on more than one occasion , but one that sticks in my mind was on a muddy pitch at the Lane when , having been beaten for the umpteenth time , Len grabbed him by the waist as he went past only for Rogers to carry on running dragging Len through the mud for several yards before he had to let go !

The winger I saw give Len the most problems was Don Rogers , the former Swindon , Palace and QPR player .

He was quite tall and well built compared to most other wingers at the time and relied on pace and timing rather than trickery to beat his man , generally referred to as a push and run winger , and boy was he good at it .

I saw him give LB a torrid time on more than one occasion , but one that sticks in my mind was on a muddy pitch at the Lane when , having been beaten for the umpteenth time , Len grabbed him by the waist as he went past only for Rogers to carry on running dragging Len through the mud for several yards before he had to let go !
That would be my first midweek game. February 1970. We lost 2-1 and Badger scored our goal.

Back
Top Bottom