Player Suggestion Yoann Barbet

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

AgaMonkey

Groucho Marxist Anarchist
Reaction score
Central defender or left back...available on a free from Brentford at the end of his contract. Wants to test himself somewhere else. Good player...what’s not to like?

Won’t fit in to our culture. Won’t fit into our system. Not good enough for the premier league.

Well isn’t that unfortunate, I’m so upset
Care to give any reasons to the above?
Let me take a guess:

Point a: he’s foreign
Point b: you haven’t a clue. Because he’s actually played a very attacking left back role for Brentford (he did at the Lane when we were reduced to 10) and is technically very good for a defender. Would suit the role a lot better than JOC did when he first arrived.
Point c: absolutely no one knows that for a fact. No one knows if any of OUR squad will be good enough.

Please tell me who you expect newly promoted Sheffield United to sign as a cover left centre half who will fit in the culture, our system, be good enough to play in the premier league and accept that they will be coming in as second choice behind practically the first name on the team sheet?

Care to give any reasons to the above?
Let me take a guess:

Point a: he’s foreign
Point b: you haven’t a clue. Because he’s actually played a very attacking left back role for Brentford (he did at the Lane when we were reduced to 10) and is technically very good for a defender. Would suit the role a lot better than JOC did when he first arrived.
Point c: absolutely no one knows that for a fact. No one knows if any of OUR squad will be good enough.

Please tell me who you expect newly promoted Sheffield United to sign as a cover left centre half who will fit in the culture, our system, be good enough to play in the premier league and accept that they will be coming in as second choice behind practically the first name on the team sheet?
Point A) Yep you’ve nailed it. Remember what Kieron Dowell said in the programme notes about how much better it is having no foreign players?

Point B) We don’t play left backs, he’ll get nowhere near Stevens at LWB and nowhere near O’Connell at LCB (our best two players).

Point C) Brentford’s model means that anybody remotely good enough will be kept or sold. They do the most in-depth statistical and physical analysis on players in the world. If he gets released by them then there’s something not right there. (And before you mention Egan and O’Connell, they sold them because we offered the market value, and that’s how their mode works).

1 out of 3 isn’t bad on your part I suppose

Point A) Yep you’ve nailed it. Remember what Kieron Dowell said in the programme notes about how much better it is having no foreign players?

Point B) We don’t play left backs, he’ll get nowhere near Stevens at LWB and nowhere near O’Connell at LCB (our best two players).

Point C) Brentford’s model means that anybody remotely good enough will be kept or sold. They do the most in-depth statistical and physical analysis on players in the world. If he gets released by them then there’s something not right there. (And before you mention Egan and O’Connell, they sold them because we offered the market value, and that’s how their mode works).

Yeah but he’s not being released by Brentford; he’s not signing a new contract because he wants a new challenge.

I'd prefer Jake Cooper, Ethan Pinnock or Matt Clarke for the left footed defender slot.

But if we need to save money here to spend elsewhere then Barbet is a good option.

A) not a daft point but we can’t get a squad to stay up full of English and Irish players that will be good enough to stay up on our budget

B) he’s certainly a better bet than what we have now to compete for those positions. He would be LCB btw

C) decent effort but he actually let his contract run down. As did Josh McEacheran.
As you can see from this link: https://www.tribalfootball.com/arti...t-reveals-he-rejected-brentford-offer-4279912
So he’s good enough for Newcastle to target but ‘nowhere near’ good enough for us? Ok

I'd prefer Jake Cooper, Ethan Pinnock or Matt Clarke for the left footed defender slot.

But if we need to save money here to spend elsewhere then Barbet is a good option.
Cooper wouldn’t work. Good defender but doesn’t have the attributes we require in our system.

Matt Clarke I like.

That’s exactly my point about Barbet. Cheap in the grand scheme of it. We have enough to spend elsewhere

Cooper wouldn’t work. Good defender but doesn’t have the attributes we require in our system.

Matt Clarke I like.

That’s exactly my point about Barbet. Cheap in the grand scheme of it. We have enough to spend elsewhere

Cooper is tempting because of his potential and aerial ability in both boxes. I'd see him as more of an option for CB who can also go to LCB, without playing the same way as O'Connell.

Remember we'll probably need to sign someone to cover LWB too, so if Cooper wasn't suitable for LCB we could move Stevens there, who will be increasingly capable of playing there as he gains experience.

Yeah but he’s not being released by Brentford; he’s not signing a new contract because he wants a new challenge.
If Brentford thought he was worth it they’d offer him a fuck tonne of money he can’t refuse as they know they’d make it back and then some

If Brentford thought he was worth it they’d offer him a fuck tonne of money he can’t refuse as they know they’d make it back and then some
Brentford offer Barbet a "fuck tonne of money" and they'll have a revolt on their hands. They've got a tight wage structure at Griffin Park.

So they didn't release him then, to clarify. He chose to leave. He is being linked with Premier League teams. Because he's bloody good.

So they didn't release him then, to clarify. He chose to leave. He is being linked with Premier League teams. Because he's bloody good.
He may have chosen to leave but they made no particular effort to keep him either

Gone to QPR.

Surprised at that move, don't think we've been linked to him or am I wrong?

Bit of a sideways move in my view, but he'll not have to move house at least!

Sideways and down a bit, even.

I don't know a right lot about the guy, but he seems to be one who divides opinions: I've seen him described as bit lightweight, and a "jack of all trades, master of none" but there are others who really rate him.

I really rate him but with Warburton apparently going to QPR it makes sense.

Would’ve been good cover for our left side of defence which for me we’ll really struggle to improve depth wise.

Better money at QPR I bet, especially with a signing-bonus as a free agent.

Better money at QPR I bet, especially with a signing-bonus as a free agent.
QPR seem to be sorting themselves out now in terms of wages. I would imagine that they are paying a similar amount that Brentford would pay and slightly less than what we would pay for a back up.

Back
Top Bottom