Would you trust CW in the PL again?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
The best case scenario is we keep Wilder and come straight back up but that brings a problem in itself. As Chairman would you want Wilder spending any of your money considering how badly it has been spent in the last 18 months? Wilder will be promoted for a second time but this time as a manager that failed to adapt and took us down on what is a likely to be a very low points total ie without the "momentum". If the 10 year plan is to yo-yo between the divisions then fine but if you want to establish us as a Premier League club we need coaches that improve players individually and can adapt whether that's along side Wilder or in place of I don't know but has Wilder improved any player for us?

Maybe beyond our budget or ambition but coaches like Rafa Benitez, Howe etc improve players and develop them. Wilder doesn't he just chops and changes away at the system until it works which is fine in the lower leagues where wages and fees aren't an issue but you can't keep buying £20 million players until one of them clicks. In my opinion the strategy Wilder has taken is high risk high reward. If Brewster had come in and scored 7/8 goals by now we'd be saying bargain and thats a £40 million striker the same with McBurnie. I don't buy into this idea of if we go down him and McBurnie are still £20 million players we will end up taking a big hit if we did have to sell. And again should be promoted again you've two strikers who failed last time they were in the PL.

The best case scenario is we keep Wilder and come straight back up but that brings a problem in itself. As Chairman would you want Wilder spending any of your money considering how badly it has been spent in the last 18 months? Wilder will be promoted for a second time but this time as a manager that failed to adapt and took us down on what is a likely to be a very low points total ie without the "momentum". If the 10 year plan is to yo-yo between the divisions then fine but if you want to establish us as a Premier League club we need coaches that improve players individually and can adapt whether that's along side Wilder or in place of I don't know but has Wilder improved any player for us?

Maybe beyond our budget or ambition but coaches like Rafa Benitez, Howe etc improve players and develop them. Wilder doesn't he just chops and changes away at the system until it works which is fine in the lower leagues where wages and fees aren't an issue but you can't keep buying £20 million players until one of them clicks. In my opinion the strategy Wilder has taken is high risk high reward. If Brewster had come in and scored 7/8 goals by now we'd be saying bargain and thats a £40 million striker the same with McBurnie. I don't buy into this idea of if we go down him and McBurnie are still £20 million players we will end up taking a big hit if we did have to sell. And again should be promoted again you've two strikers who failed last time they were in the PL.
Nobody is perfect but I think this season has badly exposed the flaws that Wilder has as a manager. He himself as a player never played in the top teams with top players under top coaches and maybe that is showing. I do agree that the money has been spent badly and maybe the reluctance to look abroad will cost us. Raphina at Leeds for £12 million real game changer looks a bargain at the side of Ramsdale who despite two good saves yesterday still can't catch a ball.

Nobody is perfect but I think this season has badly exposed the flaws that Wilder has as a manager. He himself as a player never played in the top teams with top players under top coaches and maybe that is showing
It's quite telling that for years he's lamented others 'spunking moneh' while finding us cut price gem after cut price gem. Then he finally gets a pot to piss in and does precisely that. Flown too close to the sun. I hope he's learnt from this because the idea of us spending £20m on a player right now doesn't fill me with much excitement but a lot of anxiety.

If he's still here, it'll be a massive wake up call where he can take stock and look at where it went wrong and admit the mistakes he's made this season, if he's that way inclined.

My worry is that he isn't and still believes that he's right about the teams he's picking, subs he's making, players he's signing and system he's implementing despite the current results suggesting otherwise.

Nobody is perfect but I think this season has badly exposed the flaws that Wilder has as a manager. He himself as a player never played in the top teams with top players under top coaches and maybe that is showing. I do agree that the money has been spent badly and maybe the reluctance to look abroad will cost us. Raphina at Leeds for £12 million real game changer looks a bargain at the side of Ramsdale who despite two good saves yesterday still can't catch a ball.
I'd not really considered that aspect. I suppose Mourinho, Klopp or Pep laying into you or advising you as a player must hold weight they've been there done it if not as players then as managers. But it must start to grate with Wilder after a while. Wilder himself only played 20 top flight games and him coming out after the Leicester game and calling you 'a league 1/championship player' can't have fostered much good feeling amongst the squad.

Yes I would trust him, he would certainly have learned from the mistakes made this time.

I'd like to believe that but there is no evidence he's learning from any of his mistakes.

Personally I'd ban him from signing anymore for more than £6 million which will force him to look abroad and at free transfers and proper loans

coaches like Rafa Benitez, Howe etc improve players and develop them. Wilder doesn't

Jack O'Connell, not good enough for Brentford, hasn't improved under Wilder? Egan hasn't? Fleck, considered not good enough by many Coventry fans in League One, didn't develop? Compare Chris Basham, K. Freeman and Paul Coutts when managed by Chris Wilder versus them managed by other managers. He improved pretty much every player at this club. Even in the PL, Mousset looked better under Wilder than he ever did under Eddie Howe.

You can’t say the owners haven’t backed him since promotion.
We've spent big for us but it's clear wages are lower than most meaning we lose out on targets. Mcburnie driving ban fine showed what his basic pay is. Probably wise as hopefully means we are not in too much danger next year but still yet to see what sole control of the club without big TV money looks like from PA.

Not sure I would, signed some proper rubbish players, okay if it's one or two but it's not is it.

Good question.

Although i think he would be best placed to get us back up to answer your question, no, I don't think I would. Regardless of the transfer budget i think our exploits in the market have been little short of woeful since promotion, there's not one player we have signed in the last 3 transfer windows that i would consider anywhere near remotely successful.

Jesus.... Any other manager with this group of players would have us bottom half of the Championship at best.

Wilders main fault has been that he's got so much out of a limited bunch in such a quick period of time. Injuries and loss of form mean it's now all caught up with us.

Trust him.... of course I would, I hope he's still here in ten years time.

This season is just a blip

It's quite telling that for years he's lamented others 'spunking moneh' while finding us cut price gem after cut price gem. Then he finally gets a pot to piss in and does precisely that. Flown too close to the sun. I hope he's learnt from this because the idea of us spending £20m on a player right now doesn't fill me with much excitement but a lot of anxiety.
i dont know why we changed strategy so drastically, yes we had £50m to spend. But why go for £20m players, and then at best mid- championship backup (robinson, osborn, rodwell) when we could have easily gone for 4-5 players in the £5-10m mark and theyd have all been fairly decent

For example instead of:
Ramsdale 18m
brewster 20m
burke (swap)
Lowe & Bogle - 12m

We could have had:
Foster - £3m?
Toney - £7m
Roofe - £4.5m
Bogle and Lowe - £12m
Burke (Swap)
Jake Cooper - £10m

my point is - why did we not hedge our bets more? if we use this strategy we not only give ourselves a bit more room for failure, we also give squad depth for key areas. It’s closer aligned to our strategy in previous years. The minute we had a snuff of money we spunked it as we did not have the experience to know how to use it properly, It’s still a gamble (what transfer wouldnt be with our current finances) but less high risk.

Stupid question of course I'd trust him he had this lot pushing the Euro spots last season. I like how all these Wilder out types blame him for poor recruitment, back in the real world you can't just say I want player x and go out and get him other clubs want player x too and some can afford to pay more and higher wages so it is hardly surprising when they choose to go elsewhere. It is not Football Manager on the x-box you know. Small squad, injuries, loss of form/confidence and Covid 19 have all contributed to our dramatic fall off this season giving Wilder limited options and even the best managers make mistakes, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Jack O'Connell, not good enough for Brentford, hasn't improved under Wilder? Egan hasn't? Fleck, considered not good enough by many Coventry fans in League One, didn't develop? Compare Chris Basham, K. Freeman and Paul Coutts when managed by Chris Wilder versus them managed by other managers. He improved pretty much every player at this club. Even in the PL, Mousset looked better under Wilder than he ever did under Eddie Howe.
Take your point on those individuals but certainly not every player at the club. It was a more Wilder signs an awful lot of players who feature once or twice never to be seen again. Therefore is it through skill and knowledge he develops them or is it more keep trying different things until they work i.e how much is down to the "system" because he seems rather reluctant to change it.

Think he needs to look at the squad we have now and change the system like he did in league one to suit the players we have available as the intricate wing play and 5 at the back is not suited to us anymore, needs to buy some proper defenders and go to a back 4 get some creative midfielders who can pass, sick of the consistently underhit and overhit passes both long and short and almost every cross being closer to hitting the corner flag than one of our players.

Technically skilled players are needed not a team of try hard but no skill players

Hahaahahahahhaa
Has he developed them as footballers or has he turned them into "robots" who have one way of playing football? Why would you be so reluctant to change a system that has failed to win a league game for 6 months? My initial point was harsh and I would argue that Egan and Didsy in particular have improved but for the most part, Wilder tries a player if they work great, if not they get chucked out. You just can't do that at Premier League level unless you have Man City to Chelsea type backing. Wilder unearthed some gems in the lower leagues but for every Fleck and O'Connell there are at least two Marvin Johnson and Kean Bryans. and we simply don't have the money to keep chucking away.

The answer to the question from me is YES.

We didn't go into the Pl with a recognised 20 goal a season striker.

We should thank Billy S for making a major contribution to us getting into the PL, and if he was 5/6 years younger we may have had enough fire power to keep us there.

Sadly it looks as though we won't - but it does highlight that quality is needed in teh final third - something that CW has been telling anyone that would listen for ages.

The clubs ability to find that quality has all but failed with numerous attempts of purchases, loans or swaps.

The combination of CW & AK plus others have got us there once and should be allowed to try again and if successful then hopefully we go in to the PL again (like Burnley) and hopefully do things a bit differently.

Brewster needs time to develop at a lower level with someone else plus hopefully a return to 4 at the the back (we could go on for ever trying to find Bash/JOC mark 2) and possibly a more realistic formation at the top of the pitch

UTB

He won’t get another opportunity to manage in the Premier League again in my opinion.

I think a record breaking relegation season is something which is going to stick with Wilder. He’ll be back in League One or Two for the remainder of his career.

Back
Top Bottom