Would this team be in a relegation scrap next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just glad the league didn't go for points per game and finish the season in March.

We wouldn't have even realised that the squad needs improving significantly, we'd be looking for a couple of tweeks to the sixth best team in the league.

It's not been pretty but it should refocus everyone's minds that we're not going to carry on taking the piss next season.

Good effort this season but if we are going to be realstic about staying in prem we need a realistic wage structure. This is already affecting the team e.g. Lundstram, JOC . We are getting prem income and have worked miracles this season to be already safe. Pay out the money we recieve like the other clubs do and recruit some decent attacking threat. Point s very well made above about our relative ranking on goals scored and conceded. The writing is on the wall and we have earned a brilliant second chance so let's hope the board/ management take it. Defying the odds of Football economics only lasts so long.

Yes, our first team is awesome, our second string is about as useful as string wrapped around a burning log, we have no quality in depth.

If we had the injuries Norwich had had this season we wouldn’t be too far behind them.

This isn’t a criticism it’s just reality for teams coming up and with the budgets promoted teams generally have.

This season has been awesome and it’s a shame that we’ve dropped off but I’m not despondent we have one of the best managers in the league with a decent first team, we need better investment in the close season with some more Lucknow the injury front next year.

Survival again is what we should be aiming for.

Just glad the league didn't go for points per game and finish the season in March.

We wouldn't have even realised that the squad needs improving significantly, we'd be looking for a couple of tweeks to the sixth best team in the league.

It's not been pretty but it should refocus everyone's minds that we're not going to carry on taking the piss next season.

Yes completely agree, hopefully this will focus minds that the second string needs some real work.

Nicolaus_Copernicus

That's the thing with Mcgoldrick, he's reliant on the guy ahead of him getting goals to justify his selection, this season they haven't.

So either he isn't good enough.
The guy ahead of him isn't good enough.
Or both.
McGoldrick is more of a number 10 player rather than an out and out striker. Deserved the POTY last season. Still playing well this season making the team tick despite having missed quite a number of goal chances

Yeah; I for sure am taking the findings of 3 games we've played without any fans, after a 3 month lay off, without a pre season, without our best player and key to the formation we play, then without our central defender and goalkeeper against a revitalised and in-form Man United, in the midst of a worldwide pandemic - instead of a 28 game season in which we cut off in 6th position with a game in hand.

We're basically already down already. I'm looking forward to being back in the championship in 2021/22 - I'll be bored of the Prem by then anyway.
Well of course you'll be bored - no fun losing most of your matches + finishing in a relegation spot

Our defence has been incredible. This performance is likely impossible to repeat if (as is likely) we do not have Henderson.

we have a lot of trouble scoring goals. None of the forwards are consistent. I do not understand resigning both Sharp and Didzy. We have to have better up top.

we have had a great injury free run pre lockdown. 4 out of 5 of the defence were ever present, 2 missed only 1 game, and Norwood was ever present.

regression was almost inevitable as, save for VAR, almost all broke right for us.

We lose Hendo and one of the back 5, and we are in trouble IMHO, although if anyone can keep us ticking over it’s Wilder.
It looks like there are at least 6 or 7 vacant places in our 25 man squad for next season so I expect two of the new signings will be up and coming strikers.

McGoldrick is more of a number 10 player rather than an out and out striker. Deserved the POTY last season. Still playing well this season making the team tick despite having missed quite a number of goal chances

I'm fully aware of where and how he plays.
Hence I wrote.....

That's the thing with Mcgoldrick, he's reliant on the guy ahead of him getting goals to justify his selection, this season they haven't.

Or both.

Which of the above is it?

It looks like there are at least 6 or 7 vacant places in our 25 man squad for next season so I expect two of the new signings will be up and coming strikers.
We already have Sharp, Didsy, McB, Calum & Mousset - so 2 more makes 7 - like back in Colin's day !
That's a lot of strikers , unless you intend some to leave.

Hence I wrote.....

Or both.

Both. Sorry to say that.

We already have Sharp, Didsy, McB, Calum & Mousset - so 2 more makes 7 - like back in Colin's day !
That's a lot of strikers , unless you intend some to leave.
Get rid of McBurnie,he’s absolute shite. Mousset has decided he cant be bothered. & Robinson is not good enough for Premier League. So we need at least 2,& not 2 unproven from the Championship either. Callum Wilson would be good if Bournemouth go down for one.

Hence I wrote.....

Or both.

This season we often have been changing strikers due to injuries (mainly McGoldrick and Mousset) and you can see the stats below from IOM Blade and despite being one of the lowest scorers in the league our win rate is a lot more than many expected. From the stats below it seems that our most successful strike partnership this season have been McGoldrick and Mousset. I think Wilder will be thinking of a more regular strike partnership for next season. I expected Wilder would be giving 1 year deals to Sharp and McGoldrick and was surprised he gave both 2 year deals.

Get rid of McBurnie,he’s absolute shite. Mousset has decided he cant be bothered. & Robinson is not good enough for Premier League. So we need at least 2,& not 2 unproven from the Championship either. Callum Wilson would be good if Bournemouth go down for one.
Absolute shite 😂
Deary me. Our fans are uneducated.

Absolute shite 😂
Deary me. Our fans are uneducated.
Yes , the standard of English grammar is appalling on here.
"He is absolute shite" is not good English.
If shite is being employed as a noun , it should read "an absolute shite".
However , if , as I suspect , shite is being employed as an adjective , it should read "absolutely shite".
That said , Mr McBurnie has yet to convince me that has the potential to worry Premiership defenders , let alone impose himself on a game.

Hmm - so having 3 months off and losing 2 of our first 3 games is a disaster.

2016/17 - lost 3 of first 4.
2017/18 - lost 2 of first 3.
2018/19 - lost 2 of first 3.
They didn’t turn out too bad.

After a break under Tufty we seem to come back fit but unco-ordinated.

The mentality will grow and results will come back, the rhythm will return.

I just hope it comes back on Sunday - we’re not going down, we’re mot going up, we’re Sheffield United, we’re winning the cup.

I believe Chris Wilder knows exactly what the team will require to compete next season. He already knew that the team had shortcomings & he knew what they were. Wilder may be many things but he is nobodies fool. He knows this team.

There's a big chance Hendo doesn't return - which would be a major blow.

Our injury record can't possibly be better.

Our defensive record can hardly improve.

Repeating peak performance levels will be a real challenge - at our best I feel a number of our players were at their absolute zenith.

Teams will be more familiar with us - and the back 5 and 2 of the midfielders will remain the same.

We are painfully impotent in attack. And I'm losing hope for Mousset. We've become the most defensive team in the league. Why would any decent attacking player sign for us? We could have difficulty recruiting the required quality.

Covid and that cunt McCabe will hinder our transfer budget.

The pathetic possibility of no fans would hurt us a lot (anyone who said fans don't make a difference, where are you now btw?).

Surviving next season will be a good achievement, as it is this season.

It's a challenge for Wilder but he's more than capable. But there's very little room for error with recruitment.

The first season uber enthusiasm and frameless played a huge part in this season's success. Players all playing above their ability. Wilder has to squeeze every drop out of them. A few big losses robs us of that fearlessness. It's easy to forget that on paper we look like a relegation team.

It's a huge task and the contract extensions make me think Chris will have one hand tied behind his back. We've never needed huge investment like we need it this summer.

Not just in the squad but also in the future.

Yes , the standard of English grammar is appalling on here.
"He is absolute shite" is not good English.
If shite is being employed as a noun , it should read "an absolute shite".
However , if , as I suspect , shite is being employed as an adjective , it should read "absolutely shite".
That said , Mr McBurnie has yet to convince me that has the potential to worry Premiership defenders , let alone impose himself on a game.
You really wasted 5 minutes posting that?

3 games in and there is a crisis unreal some people on here.

Let’s see our form after all the games finished by the end of the season. Then at least you can see your overall form for 10 games.

Playing like we have last 3 games, absolutely.
However I’d like to think this is just a bad run of form and wilder will get them firing again.

That said we still need more investment so we don’t stand still

Here’s my take - this team should be in a relegation battle in any given season in the premier league - the fact that we aren’t and a are able to have these conversations safe in the knowledge that we’ll be a premier league side again next season is down to the absolutely monumental effort of Wilder, Knill and of course the players - who up until they enforced break were one of the most consistent teams in the country.

We’d all hope that we can build on this season and establish ourselves in the premier league, but we should take some time to remind ourselves of the budget we have even compared to the ‘regulars’ in midtable like Palace, Newcastle and Everton (for those complaining about us ‘wasting’ money on Berge and McBurnie) just take a look at the cost of Everton’s squad...

So if we were to find ourselves in a relegation battle next season we should not be too surprised or disappointed and it wouldn’t suddenly mean the players are crap or that Wilder has lost his touch.

To be fair we do not know.If Wilder gets them up for it again we would be fine,they have already done great so they have it in them to do it again.What the shut down has done is to confirm our fringe players are not good enough .We have been lucky with injuries up till now but now that we are starting to have injuries it has shown our Squad has not got enough strength or depth.Our first choice defence is great but our back up players are weak.Also we could lose Hendo next year and he is worth 10 points a season in my view.We are also weak in the goal scoring department but we have got away with it due to or defence but if we were to lose our main men in defence we would struggle.Good luck Chris you have some wheeling and dealing to do but we all have faith in you mate.You have took us to heights we thought we would never see again ,we just want to stay there.

If I've learnt anything this season, it's that our strikers aren't good enough to play in a Premier League team and that our squad is destined for a relegation scrap without major investment...

How do I explain this season you ask? Dumb luck.

Well, let's have a think....

Based on the evidence post- restart - yes

Based on everything else we know - the skill, intelligence, energy, drive, belief and total commitment to each other and all of us we've been delighted about for four years - no

Of course, there are challenges ahead, none of which our unbelievably thorough off-field management wont be aware of ( remember the shock and horror of the screenshot from the meeting with the ?? round Ollie ? Unthinkable then, less so now) and the reduction in budget won't help, but as long as the focus remains the betterment of SUFC and doesn't unravel into individual agendas I cant see how their wont be three clubs worse off come the end of next season.

Liverpool Man C & Manure all relegated despite spending a billion each in desperate attempt to stay up

I made my view clear a couple of pages back & having continued to read the thread I am staggered at the negativity of whats seems to be the majority of fans on this forum. In what world does 3 lack lustre performances override all the good work we have shown in the 28 games before that? I trust that players & staff are working hard to get back on track, & I also trust them to achieve that moving forward, be it tweaks to the system, new players or a different formation. This is what they do 24/7, it is not a hobby, they work at it day after day, analysing everything possible, there will not be 1 suggestion here that has not been covered by them over & over; the whole club will be working on moving forward not just next season, but the 1 after that, & the 1 after that.
Have the 6 years previous to CWAK scarred our fans so much their brains have turned to mush & are not able to think rationally? I don't know, but the negativity displayed here at time really pisses me off, & at times I find myself wishing we had a bit of the "Wendy Optimism".

Apart from the strikers, every player in the first team has looked completely at home at the upper end of the Premier League (pre-covid). I don't see a relegation scrap as long as we hang on to those 9 players and injuries are kept to a minimum again. There lies the problem though, the squad needs strengthening big time to safeguard against that.

I made my view clear a couple of pages back & having continued to read the thread I am staggered at the negativity of whats seems to be the majority of fans on this forum. In what world does 3 lack lustre performances override all the good work we have shown in the 28 games before that? I trust that players & staff are working hard to get back on track, & I also trust them to achieve that moving forward, be it tweaks to the system, new players or a different formation. This is what they do 24/7, it is not a hobby, they work at it day after day, analysing everything possible, there will not be 1 suggestion here that has not been covered by them over & over; the whole club will be working on moving forward not just next season, but the 1 after that, & the 1 after that.
Have the 6 years previous to CWAK scarred our fans so much their brains have turned to mush & are not able to think rationally? I don't know, but the negativity displayed here at time really pisses me off, & at times I find myself wishing we had a bit of the "Wendy Optimism".
Wendy Optimism! Do you mean not being able to see what is staring you in the face,pretending something is not there even though it is standing on your foot.We Blades at times do hold back from being optimistic I agree.It is because we seem to self destruct just as we get going ,we always have done ever since I started watching them in the early sixties.The thing is we are not used to seeing our guys playing without any passion and at half speed like they have done since we came back from lockdown.We know it has been warm but the other teams seem to have come good playing in the same conditions.Plus only three chances created in three matches is worrying ,not like Wilders team at all.Also the depth of the squad has been seen to be lacking,but we have Wilder and if any manager can sort it he is the one.

Back
Top Bottom