Would this team be in a relegation scrap next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
I'm concerned. I'm sure we all are.

This loss of momentum and injuries is a replication to an extent to the listless end to the 2017/18 season after 'he that never gives the ball away' was crocked.

Apart from COVID-19 derailing what I felt was a relentless quest for European football the break has also impacted the TV money that would have formes the basis for our transfer pot.

All this adds up to limited additions in the summer notwithstanding sacrificing a family jewel, and hoping to replace with a better and cheaper alternative.

There seem to be a lot of challenges ahead even to tread water.

We will need at least one new keeper. The obvious concern is that this will be a keeper worse than Henderson. Alternatives we are linked with are in the offing at 10m+ which would be a fair chunk of the budget. Keeper is such a key position, and probably why Clough was happy to spend big to get Shilton. Now hopefully OGS keeps his stance on DeGea, doesn't want to sell Hendo, and Hendo won't be fine with a run in the league cup. We may well be ok here, but it may be another last minute waiting game which could see us missing out on alternatives and putting all our eggs in one basket.

Defensively, from the retained list it looks like the back up players will be depleated. Freeman, Retsos already, Rodwell, Jagielka will all be off. So Chris will have the unenviable task of enticing reenforcements who have a limited chance of playing. Maybe Norrington-Davies gets a chance though a loan one level up once more may also be fitting.

In midfield, you can see there being an awkward standoff through the summer with Lundstram as he seeks too much money. I can see us being in for Hendrick possibly as a replacement for Lunny if he digs in. Some challenging conversations with Osborn and Freeman await and I think as decent squad members the next few matches, and how much they are called upon while others are stuttering, may determine the outcome. It seems Berge, Fleck and Norwood are due to be fixtures so I don't see much movement here, or money spent, so it will be shifting deckchairs.

Upfront and arguably with the midfield itself, we need to somehow regain the ability to make and take chances. 3 shots on target tell a story since the restart. I'd argue Billy should have been on target against Newcastle, McBurnie should have got his header in against Man U. But in all, when you add in McGoldrick who has been a marvel but isn't scoring and Mousset whose fitness remains an ongoing issue, we still lack that talismanic scorer. A lot of our fate may be determined by this one signing. Someone like an Inga would perhaps manage to up the level in a challenging market, but I doubt he's one we could get.

Hopefully a lot of clubs feel the pinch but rather than kicking on into buying higher level signings I can see Chris having to scrimp and save again.

Really? That’s a well argued post, although it doesn’t cover the difference fans can make and we’ve also played 3 games in 8 days from a standing start, which hasn’t helped us.

Agreed. Though my credibility was ripped to shreds on this topic:

That should not be the question, the question should be how to not become involved in a relegation scrap.
Accepting it is very much a possibility is the first step.

The major concern is signings.
The club doesn't even pay average wages for this level.

That's why I don't understand the 'We need to sign better players than Berge and Mcburnie'.
How?

If you can't pay 'average' Premier League wages, how do you expect to sign an 'average' Premier League player?
Signing players below Premier League level and developing them is the only option.
That's why Berge/Mcburnie have to be improved, not got rid of.

I don't think Wilder willbe scriming and scraping in bargain basement bucket for next season. Once he confirms the sale of JOC and reinvests accordingly as he has done from day one. UTB

Well if the team play like they are doing now into the next season,we will be relegated by Xmas.

Dont look interested,dont look like scoring,leak goals very easily,thats the template for relegation.

So summat better change with the current mindset the players have.

I don't think Wilder willbe scriming and scraping in bargain basement bucket for next season. Once he confirms the sale of JOC and reinvests accordingly as he has done from day one. UTB

What fee we talking?

This loss of momentum and injuries is a replication to an extent to the listless end to the 2017/18 season after 'he that never gives the ball away' was crocked.

Apart from COVID-19 derailing what I felt was a relentless quest for European football the break has also impacted the TV money that would have formes the basis for our transfer pot.

All this adds up to limited additions in the summer notwithstanding sacrificing a family jewel, and hoping to replace with a better and cheaper alternative.

We will need at least one new keeper. The obvious concern is that this will be a keeper worse than Henderson. Alternatives we are linked with are in the offing at 10m+ which would be a fair chunk of the budget. Keeper is such a key position, and probably why Clough was happy to spend big to get Shilton. Now hopefully OGS keeps his stance on DeGea, doesn't want to sell Hendo, and Hendo won't be fine with a run in the league cup. We may well be ok here, but it may be another last minute waiting game which could see us missing out on alternatives and putting all our eggs in one basket.

Defensively, from the retained list it looks like the back up players will be depleated. Freeman, Retsos already, Rodwell, Jagielka will all be off. So Chris will have the unenviable task of enticing reenforcements who have a limited chance of playing. Maybe Norrington-Davies gets a chance though a loan one level up once more may also be fitting.

In midfield, you can see there being an awkward standoff through the summer with Lundstram as he seeks too much money. I can see us being in for Hendrick possibly as a replacement for Lunny if he digs in. Some challenging conversations with Osborn and Freeman await and I think as decent squad members the next few matches, and how much they are called upon while others are stuttering, may determine the outcome. It seems Berge, Fleck and Norwood are due to be fixtures so I don't see much movement here, or money spent, so it will be shifting deckchairs.

Upfront and arguably with the midfield itself, we need to somehow regain the ability to make and take chances. 3 shots on target tell a story since the restart. I'd argue Billy should have been on target against Newcastle, McBurnie should have got his header in against Man U. But in all, when you add in McGoldrick who has been a marvel but isn't scoring and Mousset whose fitness remains an ongoing issue, we still lack that talismanic scorer. A lot of our fate may be determined by this one signing. Someone like an Inga would perhaps manage to up the level in a challenging market, but I doubt he's one we could get.

Hopefully a lot of clubs feel the pinch but rather than kicking on into buying higher level signings I can see Chris having to scrimp and save again.
Its a reasonable post, asking questions to prompt a discussion. Its all about opinions, but taking decisions based on facts, finances and the like is much much more difficult.

Agreed. Though my credibility was ripped to shreds on this topic:

It wasn't the first time you'd had a flounce about how terrible everything is and that the world is about to end for us, which is why you were called out. Unfortunately it wasn't the last time either, so you can't really then have a grumble about it.
Let's not ignore the huge contributing factor as to why this still has got legs. You were also massively wrong.

maybe

we need a lot of players and there seems to be a lot less money to do it with (and considering we had to take punts on Rodwell and Morrison last year, worrying).

Did you not see +

Sheffield United struggle to pay £20 million for transfers, and pay the lowest wages along with Norwich in the league.
I don't think £40 million is realistic, let alone anything above it.

The quality of player has little to do with the fee compared to the other factors.....
The Maguire/VVD transfers proved that.

I don't see how JOC can be replaced for the fee he would command, let alone additional signings also.

Really? That’s a well argued post, although it doesn’t cover the difference fans can make and we’ve also played 3 games in 8 days from a standing start, which hasn’t helped us.

The fans can be argued both ways. Playing behind closed doors is guaranteeing absolutely no pressure, 30K people aren’t watching and so you’d expect us to probably take more risks out on the field. We’ve gone backwards, I agree fans make a difference but when you’re playing shit you’re playing shit, lets be fair if we lost twice 3-0 at Bramall Lane it’d be like League 1 all over again. Our fans went crackers when Man Utd went 2-3, me included, it’s a tricky one.

The fans can be argued both ways. Playing behind closed doors is guaranteeing absolutely no pressure, 30K people aren’t watching and so you’d expect us to probably take more risks out on the field. We’ve gone backwards, I agree fans make a difference but when you’re playing shit you’re playing shit, lets be fair if we lost twice 3-0 at Bramall Lane it’d be like League 1 all over again. Our fans went crackers when Man Utd went 2-3, me included, it’s a tricky one.

Precisely.

Next season Burnley at home will not be another exciting Premier League game after promotion......
It will be just Burnley at home.

Honestly, I don't think so, and see the retained list as a huge positive that we're moving into our next phase of progression.
There are a fair few steady pro's who have been allowed to leave, which means we are looking to improve on our depth which is imperative for our longer term success at this level. I also think we'll spend more than last season, and bring in more players than arrived last summer.

Some fans need to get a grip on reality and reset their expectations. We are highly unlikely to be fighting it out in the top 8 so we're likely to lose more games than this season, but I don't think we'll be rooted in the bottom 4 or 5 all season. We'll continue to build on the base we've put in place over the past few seasons and look to strengthen again with this years signing also stepping up and delivering better more consistent performances.

In order to answer that question (which is a good question) you need to examine why we are struggling and if those factors might apply next season.

My theories on our struggles are

1: The players have received the plaudits and are happy. They’ve had a break being given plenty of time to reflect on their achievement.
Suspect they‘ve subconsciously become complacent.

2: The condensing of fixtures. In fact the way the fixtures have been organised almost every team we play will have an extra 1 day or 2 days rest than us.
No player can perform at their best playing 3 games every week.
This is where squad depth and quality becomes a major factor. Our first 11 are great but the squad is one of the weakest in the division.

3: Our success is based around “the system”. Have you noticed how Wilder likes to play the same starting 11 virtually every match.
His system for success is now gone....because there’s massive fixture congestion and the rules have been changed to allow more subs and changes.
Under the new competition format individual quality comes to the fore more than team spirit.

4: Our crowd (it’s 1st season back in the PL) is passionate and has believe we can beat anyone at Bramall Lane.
This confidence passes on to the players with opposition players feeling intimidated by our atmosphere.
Even Virgil Van Dyke said that he found it difficult to perform at BL this season due to our crowd.

5: We’ve received injuries.....made worse because we don’t have the best squad.

6: It’s mid Summer with hotter temperatures....so possesion based football with more technical players become more important than workrate.

Conclusion

The competition format has changed and it’s working against the system set up by Wilder but there’s no doubt Wilder has his finger on the pulse.

We just need a break with a pre season then Wilder will be able to plan based on the new competition ahead.
Remember the rules have been changed before the season ended. The new season will be more spread out and Wilder can go back to focussing on playing the same 11 each week to encourage familiarity and team work.

Also regards those writing off our players.....there are players who are brilliant in training then crap/ nervous in front of a crowd.
McBurnie admitted 2 weeks ago that he might find the “playing behind closed doors” difficult because he feeds off the crowd and raises his game.

Last edited:
Its difficult to make a comparison between this unique mini restart season behind closed doors and a normal season. Having said that the start of season 20/21 is likely to be rushed through as a result of pressure from the governing bodies to get competitions off the ground. That means the players bodies will be experiencing the stress of one and a half seasons and having to go again following a very short close season in a continuing artificial environment.

This is where the sports science and conditioning teams will have to earn their corn as they will have to devise new plans IMO to assess the stress on the players. Our strength for the last 3 years has been our conditioning and the full on way we train each week. We made a great play in the lock down about how intense the training plans were but it seems to have backfired as the players look burnt out before they get on the pitch. The potential for injuries something we have largely avoided this season would now seem to be more of a factor as players have less rest between seasons.

On our day a fit first eleven is capable of taking on any team in this division. We have shown that over the first 28 games. Our squad however is paper thin and take out JOC for example and we look unbalanced and the overlapping centre backs advantage goes out of the window without a competent replacement.

The first few games have shown we lack capable back up across the majority of positions. In the remaining games we need to assess whether the likes of Luke Freeman and Osborn can cut it at this level. For me its now about preparing for next season and getting confidence levels back up with a few wins rather than the Cup or Europe.

Our success has been built on playing 3-1-4-2 reverting to 3-5-1-1 this season. There is nothing to suggest we can't continue to be successful playing this way provided we improve positions 12-22. It can't be done overnight but the Prince and the Board have a role to play in looking to bring in new revenue streams beyond the EPL TV money.

I seem to remember similar posts when we fell away after Christmas in our first season back in the Championship, but the second one worked out okay didn't it?
It's pretty simple, every club strives to be better year on year, & we will have been working on next seasons personnel for a while now. What you have to grasp is that we were not as good as we thought we were pre Covid 19, & we are not quite as bad as we think we are now. Covid will continue to affect every club for some time to come in one way or another, not just ourselves, the future for football is an uncertain landscape just now but all any club can do is try to include every eventuality moving forward.
Look, I know the last 3 games have not been great, but I have far too many fingers on 1 hand to count the number of good competitive games I have seen since the restart. Trust the club to cover all the possible bases, the people we have on our staff have been by & large fantastic since Wilder came in, expectations will be a lot higher than "avoiding relegation" quite rightly, but I am sure the possibility will be part of any discussions to come.

What I will say is this, any issues in terms of bringing players in, fees, wages etc will be issues for everyone

Sure the top teams will cope better but we will be in a group of 7/8 teams who could all struggle and that’s before you look at the 3 coming up

Despite what Leeds think they aren’t going to attract bigger and same with WBA and whoever comes up. I think Fulham have a rich owner and a very decent place to live in etc

may I ask, did you also ask this question before lockdown?
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you said 'no, dont be a soft lad' as who would have suggested relegation back in March when we were looking at Europe.
So why are we talking about it now after 3 results - 1 been a draw we should have won, 1 away to the nemesis that is cabbage heed, and another one away at a rejuvenated Man U.
3 tricky away games in 8 days, no fans following 3 months in lockdown, 1 red card and missing key players in every game
I would agree the performances have been more worrying than the result arguably, but you talking about relegation is as bonkers as them knob heads across the city talking about the prem following a draw 1st game back - 'kin idiots.

We've scored 7 goals in our last 13 games. If we don't arrest that trend then of course we are going to be battling against relegation. It may well be we have to sacrifice some defensive solidity to get another player in the other team's half because I'm not sure we can 1) Rely on goals conceded being this low again. By law of averages we'll concede more 2) Rely on signing individuals who will push us to scoring the 15-20 goals more we'll potentially need to remain as competitive as we have this year.

Nothing is permanently broken. But the last 3 games could be disregarded and we would still need to figure out how to score more goals next year

Yeah; I for sure am taking the findings of 3 games we've played without any fans, after a 3 month lay off, without a pre season, without our best player and key to the formation we play, then without our central defender and goalkeeper against a revitalised and in-form Man United, in the midst of a worldwide pandemic - instead of a 28 game season in which we cut off in 6th position with a game in hand.

We're basically already down already. I'm looking forward to being back in the championship in 2021/22 - I'll be bored of the Prem by then anyway.

Back
Top Bottom