Wingers?!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

brownblade

Reaction score
So... Obviously we don't play wingers. We apply that logic to every made up transfer rumour.

However... Is it possible that we might consider playing 343 at times next season (or 523 if you prefer not to consider the WBs as part of the midfield)?!

Thinking about it, would that be so drastically different to our usual 352 (or 532)? We could play in a similar shape but we'd have additional men higher up the pitch when every attack started (two of them pacey wingers).

Obviously Dennis and others are being mentioned on this forum, along with various others here and there. Maybe Jed Wallace would be an affordable option. Not Ryan Fraser.

So, yeah, might we actually sign 2 or 3 wingers?!

So... Obviously we don't play wingers. We apply that logic to every made up transfer rumour.

However... Is it possible that we might consider playing 343 at times next season (or 523 if you prefer not to consider the WBs as part of the midfield)?!

Thinking about it, would that be so drastically different to our usual 352 (or 532)? We could play in a similar shape but we'd have additional men higher up the pitch when every attack started (two of them pacey wingers).

Obviously Dennis and others are being mentioned on this forum, along with various others here and there. Maybe Jed Wallace would be an affordable option. Not Ryan Fraser.

Jed Wallace? Jeez rather keep Callum Robinson if we are going down that route.

Decent point, but not sold mate. We’re a team of good players, exceeding expectations hugely due to our outstanding system and leading to unprecedented success. Why change the system and not just seek the upgrade the players? Just can’t see a complete overhaul working - a bit of finesse and we could push on again. 👍👍👍

I'm not saying it will happen. Realistically we're more likely to play more minutes with the Duffy role, if we did decide to open up a bit. I guess I'm just wondering if this is the window we all dismiss winger speculation but are then surprised.

I'm not saying it will happen. Realistically we're more likely to play more minutes with the Duffy role, if we did decide to open up a bit. I guess I'm just wondering if this is the window we all dismiss winger speculation but are then surprised.

I can't think of many, if any sides that change their systems so drastically whilst they are successful under the same manager. I always find it bizarre when fans suggest these drastic changes (every season we've had similar suggestions

We play the best football i've seen in my 42 years and we are also the most successful and progressive Blades side in that time. So why the need for the big changes, taking such a risk for perhaps something that we'd struggle to make work.

I look at Baldock and Stevens and see two players that are constantly developing, defying critics and causing sides so many problems. When i think of wingers i shudder and think back to Febian Brandy, Cambell-Ryce and David Cotterill, remembering the crosses that either never came, never found the strikers and more often than not ended up in the Kop or that netting below the BLUT. Thats not to say I'm against wingers, i just think in recent years we've not had the best of them

Where we've had success as a club is the wing backs and fullbacks. Right back to when Wilder himself played, to Borbokis, to the Kyles, Wayne Quinn, Brayford and then Freeman, Stevens, Baldock....

Its so successful and provides our now trademark CB's to play the way they do, Its allowed Fleck and Lunny to play the way they do as well...

I'm not anti-winger, i'm just extremely pro-wingback.

You may have seen what I’ve said about this before. It’s ridiculous to say “we don’t play wingers” or things like “he wouldn’t fit into our system”. That suggests we have a fixed approach to every game and we don’t. If we did we’d soon get found out - and we haven’t.

The system has to adapt to fit the circumstances and the more options we have all over the park the better.

If you look at our lack of firepower I see wingers as being part of the solution. We rely a lot on full backs, wing half’s, and centre half’s even, to deliver in the final third. It works brilliantly at times because it’s so hard for the opposition to counter. But there are many other times when it falls down because ultimately these players are not equipped to travel at speed with ball at feet, dribble around players and take a pot at goal or put the early killer ball into the strikers. Their instinct is to play a safer ball, even if that means going backwards or sideways and starting again.

Change that and you change the attacking dimension of the team.

This is what I think/hope will be the next stage of development for the team. I’m not expecting us to deviate massively from what has worked so well for us, but I do think having some speedy defence unlockers will change our attacking stats.

No

As per my original post, I'm not saying i want to change formation, or that I'm remotely concerned about our tactics. I was speculating about speculation really.

True that a short summer isn't helpful to practice new formations. But I'm only asking if it might be a tweak that we add to our options, based on our opponents tactics etc.

We did finish plenty of matches with 3 strikers. There's not a huge difference to that, than having 1 CF and 2 wingers.

Where do the people that want, e.g. Dennis to sign, want us to play him (or any other rumoured signings that are traditional wingers)?

It's a real shame about no pacey wingers arriving in the window.

BUT... we could play a different style of winger, e.g. Freeman narrow on the right and Gibbs-White narrow on the left. They could also both drop in as 10's or play fairly free roles.

Real width can come from Bogle at RB and Enda/RND from LB.

I’m really disappointed we didn’t get one in but we were shopping in the pick n mix trough once we weren’t going to get the likes of Elliott early on and Diallo which was likely to be influenced by the start to our season.
The two lads linked yesterday were huge unknowns, Moose types, who could have set our season alight or been bust flushes.
I’d rather have them than not, but it’s not like we had Ryan Sausages and Elliott lined up and lost them at the last minute.
I think we have the talent at the club to cover it, and those which have been brought in should make a huge difference to us. It’s then upto our forwards to deliver on their promise, leaving us with a January window where we can look again from a stronger league position.

It's a real shame about no pacey wingers arriving in the window.

BUT... we could play a different style of winger, e.g. Freeman narrow on the right and Gibbs-White narrow on the left. They could also both drop in as 10's or play fairly free roles.

Real width can come from Bogle at RB and Enda/RND from LB.
Yeah there’s a chance to operate with a flexible interchangeable 3 behind a striker with freeman, MGW, ndiaye, Brewster and maybe brunt

Berge and Hourihane holding midfield?
Opponents would love that I think.
Can play as holders without being ball winners. Who the ball winner out of McDonald, cairney and johansen

Yeah there’s a chance to operate with a flexible interchangeable 3 behind a striker with freeman, MGW, ndiaye, Brewster and maybe brunt
I actually really like that idea. Stick Sharp/McBurnie(argghhh) upfront in the lonely striker role, and play three behind. I really hope we get Ndiaye signed up and into the first team lineup. We need a lot more creativity and mobility upfront.

I actually really like that idea. Stick Sharp/McBurnie(argghhh) upfront in the lonely striker role, and play three behind. I really hope we get Ndiaye signed up and into the first team lineup. We need a lot more creativity and mobility upfront.
Yeah it would seem like an exciting attacking option especially seeing as we don’t have any out and out touch line hugging wingers

To be honest,I would rather have Berge and Hourihane in the final third,creating and linking up with forwards,Berge can play wide right like he did when he first came and cut inside from there,playing them in our third is a negative and not getting the most out of them

He can’t tackle either so
He was the main defensive midfielder for Fulham under Slav,also the high press won the ball back for them before it got to their defensive lines,so the only reason I can see that he hasn't employed it here so far is that none of our players is any good at it.Since the Viera move broke down,we are short of a midfield ball winner,not pressing exacerbates that and will cost us goals,so we better start scoring a hell of a lot more than we saw so far.

He was the main defensive midfielder for Fulham under Slav,also the high press won the ball back for them before it got to their defensive lines,so the only reason I can see that he hasn't employed it here so far is that none of our players is any good at it.Since the Viera move broke down,we are short of a midfield ball winner,not pressing exacerbates that and will cost us goals,so we better start scoring a he'll of a lot more than we saw so far.

McDonald is a free agent now.... 🤔 :D

Was thinking about this earlier The Barca lad would have been the 5th loan and whilst you can have as many loans as you want you can only play 5, so if it had gone through it means we would have only had one winger?? So he must see someone at the club as tailor made for that role.. wondering if he’s serious about playing Brewster out wide

I absolutely loved Mcdonald.
Serious silky bastard.

He wasn't an out and out ball winner but he didn't get muscled out of much either. He didn't go flying in with tackles but he read the game well and could step across players and get possession back quite often.

I absolutely loved Mcdonald.
Serious silky bastard.

He wasn't an out and out ball winner but he didn't get muscled out of much either. He didn't go flying in with tackles but he read the game well and could step across players and get possession back quite often.
I do see some similarities with Berge. Quality technician for a big lad.

Back
Top Bottom