Wilders interviews

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

INTERUNITED

Reaction score
I was expecting him to be fuming after the game yesterday and lay into the players. Instead he spoke like a teenage girl at a little mix concert who were happy just be be there, regardless of the performance. I have total faith in the manager, but he needs to get that anger/fire back and let both the players and fans know what is acceptable and what isn't. I normally love his interviews, but they have been poor this season. I'm starting to wonder if Chris is missing the fans more than the team!!

I was expecting him to be fuming after the game yesterday and lay into the players. Instead he spoke like a teenage girl at a little mix concert who were happy just be be there, regardless of the performance. I have total faith in the manager, but he needs to get that anger/fire back and let both the players and fans know what is acceptable and what isn't. I normally love his interviews, but they have been poor this season. I'm starting to wonder if Chris is missing the fans more than the team!!

Get Mike McCarthy to interview him, that usually fires him up. 😄

As mentioned on another thread, managing in the Premier League is mentally draining. Especially when you are one of the clubs with small resources. A relentless cycle of having to work out how to play against another side that has better players. It's tough.

It eventually jaded Eddie Howe after 5 seasons in the top flight. For some, it wears them down sooner. Wagner at Huddersfield went from keeping his side in the top flight to completely worn out half way through the next season, and disappeared. And at the moment, we're looking very much like 'doing a Huddersfield'.

Reactions: SLB
I never thought I would be saying this, but I can barely listen to him at the moment.

I still think we will stay up, but the white flag needs binning and the war paint needs slapping back on.

But having said that, they don't remotely matter do they? The interviews are for the media and us, they're nowt to do with what he's saying or doing with the players.

It’s probably because he knows that a lot of the poor performances are largely down to him and how he’s prepared or failed to prepare for the season.

As others have said, there’s only so many times you can batter the players in the press and get a positive reaction.

He seemed more angry after certain games last season when we was good this season copy and paste every post match interview

But having said that, they don't remotely matter do they? The interviews are for the media and us, they're nowt to do with what he's saying or doing with the players.
Of course it matters, it's psychology. If I'm an opposition manager/player watching a bloke saying we can't compete or go 'toe to toe' with these sides, I'm thinking that these are there for the taking, they don't believe they can win (and also if I'm a player for the club it gets into your head that you can't/are not expected to win). Last season he was saying that no one is getting an easy game, and if they get the points, they will have to have earned them. Opposition mamagers/players then think they are in for a rough ride and so react accordingly. Last year I didn't fear anyone because I knew the manager didn't, this year I'm shitting myself for the games against West Ham and West Brom. Its all about how you think and what confidence is given to you.

Like someone’s already mentioned. At the back end of last season he lambasted the players probably 1 too many times considering our position. He probably knows this now.

The famous "bullshit" post-match reaction after the 0-2 at Leicester certainly seems to have been a watershed moment, given the dire results since then.

If you recall, that was the one where he said:

"I'm not bothered if they've done 'okay to well' in the Premier League";

"I don't think they're thick, I think they're quite bright - they're quite bright when they want to come and see you about contracts - they're right on the ball for that one and other bits and pieces and when they need days off";

"They wanted to do the minimum. And we certainly can't do that. As a football club, the max has to be the max because they're basically League 1 stroke Championship players playing in the Premier League"; and

"I think quite fortunate for some of 'em I'm not expecting a huge amount of changes next year but everybody's playing for summat. Regardless of whether they've signed a new contract or they haven't signed a new contract, they think they're here or they don't think they're here - everybody's always playing for something."

Mind you, he also said;

"I'm not a manager who just sits back. And just accepts and tries to damage limitation. We have to force the issue somehow whether it's a tactical change or a personnel change."

Of course it matters, it's psychology. If I'm an opposition manager/player watching a bloke saying we can't compete or go 'toe to toe' with these sides, I'm thinking that these are there for the taking, they don't believe they can win (and also if I'm a player for the club it gets into your head that you can't/are not expected to win). Last season he was saying that no one is getting an easy game, and if they get the points, they will have to have earned them. Opposition mamagers/players then think they are in for a rough ride and so react accordingly. Last year I didn't fear anyone because I knew the manager didn't, this year I'm shitting myself for the games against West Ham and West Brom. Its all about how you think and what confidence is given to you.
I stand corrected mate. Of course psychology, positivity and attitude matter, but I'd gone all this time thinking sides studied each other for a chink in the armour, looked at the tactics and set up and trained accordingly. I now realise they're just all gathered round waiting for what the opposition manager says on Football Focus.

I think he did say those things last year (that we couldn't financially match and had no right to think we could compete). Difference being we were getting results, and now we're not.

Some are turning on him, plenty aren't....but either way it's too easy to try and over analyse the minutae when it's not going well.

I stand corrected mate. Of course psychology, positivity and attitude matter, but I'd gone all this time thinking sides studied each other for a chink in the armour, looked at the tactics and set up and trained accordingly. I now realise they're just all gathered round waiting for what the opposition manager says on Football Focus.

I think he did say those things last year (that we couldn't financially match and had no right to think we could compete). Difference being we were getting results, and now we're not.

Some are turning on him, plenty aren't....but either way it's too easy to try and over analyse the minutae when it's not going well.

I've just re-read my post twice to see where I'd put that training and tactics don't matter, but can't seem to see it??

Of course as fans we over analyse things, we all want what's best for Sheff United, and when things aren't going well we look for reasons why. What a forum does is give us a platform to air our views and then discuss accordingly.

For me, the worrying thing right now is the lack of confidence and self-belief. We started brilliantly yesterday, but as soon as the equaliser went in there was only going to be one winner. Sadly, this is a characteristic of relegated teams, where the here we go again feeling is quick to resurface. If we don't turn this around soon, then we look doomed.

The problem is we basically are a top championship side playing in the prem. Last season the sum of our parts was greater than the individual and we pulled off an unusual amount of 1 goal victories in very tight games.

This season the sum of our parts advantage has gone ..... Hendo, JOC, Fleck, Moose contributed (certainly pre lockdown) a great deal to the collective sum. This season we are being shown for what we basically are..... a top championship side. The recruitment hasn't helped. Of course I understand the wages argument, but a Ryan Fraser, Josh King and/or Callum Wilson would have definitely improved us up front. Brewster is still a young lad learning his trade - he is nowhere near ready for a survival fight in the prem.

We might have to take one step backward (all be it a huge step lol) to take two steps forward and go down to re-group, re-focus, re-recruit and come back up stronger. I just hope that Wilder has it in him to do this, because as much as I love the guy at the moment his is looking totally defeated. I also worry about the affect this is having on him drinking etc - he's aged 10 years since lockdown.

I never thought I would be saying this, but I can barely listen to him at the moment.

I still think we will stay up, but the white flag needs binning and the war paint needs slapping back on.

Completely agree. He's been getting on my tits for a while now, even going back towards the tail end of last season. Needs to drop the hard-done-to attitude. If I hear the term "Up against a world class side" one more time I'll lose my shit.

Absolutely ludicrous to suggest that we get rid of him though like some are saying on here.

Back
Top Bottom