Wilder tonight

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've just forced myself to watch his post match interview and he's hurting just like us.
Hopefully the strong will we know he has will pull us through this.

I'd love to know how you think we could avoid leaving Egan isolated with Watkins, we do it every game.

Egan was slightly too tight to Watkins. It's a minor error, the sort that every player makes every game. This time it was punished by bad refereeing. Last night Man City got cut open over and over again by Wolves, giving up 3 or 4 good chances in about 5mins. They conceded none. It's far too easy to say that we deserve to lose for making the same type of errors that every team makes every game.

Since when is leaving a 1v1 at the back a tactic that we've employed? If 1 CB goes then the other one (or a wing back) covers. I teach my U9's not to leave themselves 1v1, it's a fundamental concept of defending. Always be 2v1 and have a defender marking/attacking the ball and the other sweeping. It's not rocket science.

I have a slight concern about Berge's future, in that he was brought in when we were challenging for Europe and is good enough to play in at least the Europa League (in my opinion, and that of many of the big clubs across Europe apparently whom we pipped to the post for his signing). If we're not showing commitment to improving our quality in the final third, and as a result we finish lower than last season without even a hint that we can compete in the top 7, there's a good chance I think that one of the big clubs will take him off our hands. And he's exactly the kind of player we need to be building the team around if we're to push on to the next level.
If they were pipped to the fucking post by us they must have a financial crisis.
United are cheapskates.

Since when is leaving a 1v1 at the back a tactic that we've employed? If 1 CB goes then the other one (or a wing back) covers. I teach my U9's not to leave themselves 1v1, it's a fundamental concept of defending. Always be 2v1 and have a defender marking/attacking the ball and the other sweeping. It's not rocket science.
I don't have the time to clip loads of the times we left ourselves in that situation whilst pressing over the past few seasons.

When I play Sunday League, I do the same as your U9s. When Sheffield United (and most prem teams tbf) press as a team, they will inevitably leave themselves 1v1 in certain situations. If you instead leave yourself 2v1 or 3v2 at the back, you will have left a spare man in midfield that isn't being pressed.

I don't have the time to clip loads of the times we left ourselves in that situation whilst pressing over the past few seasons.

When I play Sunday League, I do the same as your U9s. When Sheffield United (and most prem teams tbf) press as a team, they will inevitably leave themselves 1v1 in certain situations. If you instead leave yourself 2v1 or 3v2 at the back, you will have left a spare man in midfield that isn't being pressed.

Here's another time we cocked up from a long ball, 1 attacks and in theory Egan covers (but he stood with his hand up instead in this instance), I'll be looking for it now but I have kittens every time I see us 1v1 and it doesn't happen often even in a full press.

1600774870317.png

Watching his post-match interview you could feel the frustration, anger and hurt. Then filtering himself under intense scrutiny. I feel for him, the players, the injustice with the officials and VAR, seeing rival teams get players we identify and knowing we aren't in a position to compete.

This period is probably the first 'backs to the wall' test of our unity as a team and fanbase in a long time. I take hope in thinking of when Southampton got beat 9-0 last October, their darkest hour and yet finished 11th. We can turn this poor form around.

My thoughts about relegation will be after 10 or so games when we've played a range of teams and hopefully not been shafted by VAR as much...UTB.

As much as I admire Wilder taking a stance against some bizarre and inconsistent decisions, the fact is that Mings hoofed a ball and we got caught square. Egan isn't fast enough to leave 1 v 1 against Watkins so why have we done it? We've then won a penalty completely against the run of play and contrived to miss it. We've compounded these 2 acts of stupidity by letting them score from a corner.

I've said it numerous times but you look at our play towards the back end of last season and then in the first 2 games and we aren't that good at defending when it's at the back. Why we are good at defending is that that we press as a whole team and keep the opposition at bay this way. If our defence is isolated against most forward lines in the PL then we are fucked. Last ditch defending with 10 men is different to being good in defence when we are playing our normal game. It needs to be tightened up a lot if we are to stay up this season. Tin hat on.

I also really don't understand why we can't at least attempt to play the ball out from the back, we started last season doing this and might have got caught 2 or 3 times, however our ball retention when going long is non-existent, granted I am only judging on the first 15 mins last night, but the ball just kept coming back because our forwards aren't Andy Carroll. When we went down to 10 it was needs must so I'll excuse that.

There is a lot of work to be done to get into a safe position with this team. What worries me at the moment is that we have abandoned a lot of the things that we were doing well at the start of last season.
You make a good point about playing out from the back. It started after
Lockdown and I posted then that Henderson had started pumping everything long instead of us building from the back. It simply doesn’t work in the Pl, you just concede possession and are then on the back foot. Apart from that, it allows the opposition to sit deep so that, even if we do win the second ball there is no space. Playing out from the back at least brings teams on to you and so creates space in midfield.

This interview is extremely worrying, he looks like he's on his bike and I wouldn't blame him, received no backing from the new owners at all.

Thanks for a superb 4 seasons Chris, but I'll welcome the new and fresh Ideas that someone up and coming like Gareth Ainsworth will give us.
After the Dirties game, 4 of the next 5 games are, Arse, Scousers, City and Chelski. He probably targeted Villa as a must win as given we can't score we could be sat on 3/4 points by November.

Problem is we missed out on Morpey and settled for McB and although he shows some quality he ain’t stepped up. DD conviction, lairy crowd behaviour, upsetting Scottish fans not a good egg.
Tried reviving Ravel Morrison’s career that went south pretty quick. Taken Burke on as a project might be something there based on last night but not oven ready and McG career revived, that’s worked out well but not as a goal scorer.
Point I’m waffling about is we’ve spunked time and money and not got one goal scoring end product so conclusion is doing it ont cheap has been a big mistake.
Are we about to do the same re Brewster, Dennis, Buendia, Balogun by taking another cheap project if we miss out. 5 losses ont trot so I’m not surprised Wilders getting twitchy, board might take a grim view and bring in Dick Van Dyke.
Most far off the mark post I've ever seen on here

This is the first really bad spell since then as well. Keep the faith. Personally I'd hang on to Wilder even if we do bomb out of the division this season, not that I expect that to happen.

It's two games where Wilder's game plan has been thrown out the window in the first fifteen minutes.
Would Wilder want to stay though?

Personal abuse is against forum rules, infraction given.
Most far off the mark post I've ever seen on here

A poster clearly showing superb brain dead syndrone. One wonders do neanderthals like this poster actually watch the game or are they like over excited girls and giggle about everything Sheffield United. An example of a poster who cant read, has memory issues and slags off everyone who posts any observations or concerns.

Mr Lukashenko we have one of yours here please come and get him. He wont be missed and he is clealy wedded to your no desent policies.

Wilder seemed to be more fucked off about the officials rather than our performance. Although it is clear he is banging on the door for a striker.

A poster clearly showing superb brain dead syndrone. One wonders do neanderthals like this poster actually watch the game or are they like over excited girls and giggle about everything Sheffield United. An example of a poster who cant read, has memory issues and slags off everyone who posts any observations or concerns.

Mr Lukashenko we have one of yours here please come and get him. He wont be missed and he is clealy wedded to your no desent policies.
Reported

Didn't we lose our first two in the second season in the championship and people on here thought we would be relegated. I wonder what happened that season...

Didn't we lose our first two in the second season in the championship and people on here thought we would be relegated. I wonder what happened that season...

So what you are saying is we are on course for Champions League football!

giphy.gif

This, I’ve not seen any evidence of us getting in behind on either flank. Fleck and Stevens are invisible, JOC is rooted to the back line. Lundstrum resorts to slinging hopeful balls instead of working triangles and Baldock seems reluctant to take anyone on. Yes, yes, I know we were down to 10 last night but we had opportunities to do what we did so well last season but chose not to. I still think we’ll be fine if we get back to doing what worked so well but, as Torrix said, this has to be a tactical instruction from CW not just the players not performing.

Exactly. We need to get back to doing what we do well - which we are not doing right now. Players sometimes start hoofing it against the managers wishes (panic, to relieve pressure etc) but it happens to often at the moment for there not be some instruction to get it up to McB. That obviously limits how much Fleck can get involved with the game. And to be honest, it makes us boring to watch.

When we do get the ball, we dont keep it (panicked passes or the hoof). I am assuming we wont ever go back to the number 10 role which we played so well, but at least we should get back to keeping posession, playing it out from the back.

The gap between our midfield is also too wide and as I've said in other threads, we need creativity from the middle if the flanks options are not on.

Ah, I get it now, it's the players who have sacked off the no10 role and overlapping centre backs and resorted to hoofball tactics.....no wonder CW is so frustrated.....🙄

We we're doing well without a number 10 role before lockdown

Since lockdown there has been a very obvious change in how we play

I really don't see your point

If we lose Wilder because of the owners they will be public enemy number one.

I for one am sick of hearing excuses funny how the majority of other clubs can invest yet we don't.

We have Leeds spending 20m on a Spanish international defender and 30m on a Spanish striker and linked with a midfielder for 27m i just dont understand what is going on at the Lane.

Every time we do well the powers that be always seem to find a way to sour things.

Back
Top Bottom