Wilder should be sacked. Here's why...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

i'd stick with Wilder, but i don't think it's gonna be an easy job to return and think it'll be unlikely at first attempt.
Too many areas lacking quality, pace and power. I think it'll require a major rebuild looking at what we've got at the moment rather than a tweaking.
First thing we need to look at is this british / irish centric base, for me we need to expand our scouting and find some quality offshore players, where its a cheaper market.

It's been total dog shite this season that's for sure and I get why some have had enough and want a change. That's only natural. But, I want CW being SUFC manager for a long time to come, and he gets my 100% backing still.
Genuine question if Wilder were an ex Wednesday player and fan , but still had got us promotion from league 1 to prem but turned us into the worst team the premier league has ever seen would you still be happy with him ?

Genuine question if Wilder were an ex Wednesday player and fan , but still had got us promotion from league 1 to prem but turned us into the worst team the premier league has ever seen would you still be happy with him ?

No, I wouldnt be happy with him, nor am I doing cart wheels in sublime happiness with the performance of anyone at SUFC this season which includes Wilder. They have all underperformed and Wilder has made mistakes (and can be too stubborn at times imo). That said he is also being badly let down by some of his players.

More importantly, I can't think of anyone inwpuld rather have leading us next season back in the championship. He will have learnt a hell of a lot this season about himself and his team, and he will be straining at the leash to put things right next season and show the footballing world that this season was a freakish blip (and I think he will). Next season he will be hell bent on getting us back at the first attempt and to repay loyalty for sticking with him in the bad times.

This is the time to suck it up and take it on the chin, even if if stings like fuck every week atm.

I still firmly believe he is by far the best man for our club, and if I felt the same about another manager, whether he was an ex Wendy player / manager then yes, I would also want them to stay as well provided that I was convinced that he was a serial winner still (which I still believe CW is).

I bet every single Championship club would take Wilder as manager next season, if they found themselves without one.

And that's what we'll be, so why wouldn't we have him?
Because a fresh start has a value of its own. Losing can become a habit. The mood can turn and the atmosphere can become toxic.

Because a fresh start has a value of its own. Losing can become a habit. The mood can turn and the atmosphere can become toxic.
And if that happens and we're performing badly in the Championship, then I'll fully expect him to be sacked.

Surely though, you don't get rid of the best Championship manager we could possibly get, and have probably ever had, based on conjecture?

And if that happens and we're performing badly in the Championship, then I'll fully expect him to be sacked.

Surely though, you don't get rid of the best Championship manager we could possibly get, and have probably ever had, based on conjecture?
Everything is conjecture to some extent. You can’t be 100% sure that Wilder will suddenly revert back to the guy we all loved. It matters what has happened in between. He might have changed. His relationship with the players has certainly changed.

I do take your point. I’m not eager to change manager and I know it would be a gamble. But I am very worried that the Wilder of 2016-2019 is gone and won’t return.

Everything is conjecture to some extent. You can’t be 100% sure that Wilder will suddenly revert back to the guy we all loved. It matters what has happened in between. He might have changed. His relationship with the players has certainly changed.

I do take your point. I’m not eager to change manager and I know it would be a gamble. But I am very worried that the Wilder of 2016-2019 is gone and won’t return.

He still is the guy that we all loved. Do you honestly seriously think he is telling them to do something different? He has openly admitted he is scratching his head at the loss of form of key players. Do you think if he goes the players are suddenly going to find form and start playing better?

He still is the guy that we all loved. Do you honestly seriously think he is telling them to do something different? He has openly admitted he is scratching his head at the loss of form of key players. Do you think if he goes the players are suddenly going to find form and start playing better?
I think he has become very committed to a pretty negative style of football. That’s part of it. And we’ve been playing a more direct and defensive style for a year. If it’s not his instructions then why can’t he get the players to play how he wants them to? That’s a failing in itself, isn’t it?

Well I'm willing to give it a few months of next season (and shut my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears for the rest of this one).

As mentioned we simply can't carry on like this or the damage will be felt far beyond this wretched season.

It's pure fantasy to think that we will suddenly turn this run around and somehow go on an a
Amazing run.
What about Hull, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Sunderland and Wednesday....oh no wait a minute.

Can't sack him or anybody else ... means paying em off!

He still is the guy that we all loved.
I luved all of my ex-girlfriends - and possibly my ugly ex-wife, too. They're the same people they were. Just sometimes it's not the best possible idea to try and force it, keep up appearances and go on.

I can’t wait for 7 years in the Championship.
The division after that is open to discussion.

People keep saying we have the players to get us back up. I don’t think we will. Any of the good ones will leave.

He has openly admitted he is scratching his head at the loss of form of key players. Do you think if he goes the players are suddenly going to find form and start playing better?
Oh, so he's admitted some OTHER PEOPLE than himself are the reason we're shit. Can't even begin to think of the guts it's needed him to blame other people for his own mistakes... As for the players as a whole, I wouldn't think they'd suddenly find a form or so, if the manager was to be changed. Then again, I doubt they could perform any worse, if we named a horse for a manager.

People keep saying we have the players to get us back up. I don’t think we will. Any of the good ones will leave.
We don't have a core to the team that might have any chance to get us back up. Our best starting 11 is still pretty much the same as it was two years back - only now they're all older, lost all composure and confidence. Berge & al. we need to sell. I'm very much pissed off.

Sub standard players for the PL. We know it, Wilder knows it, the Prince knows and more importantly, the players know it.

I'm very much still in the "CW should be given a chance next season" camp but we need to use the time between now and our potential couple of years at the level below to take a root and branch overhaul of our entire recruitment process or we'll just have the exact same problem we have now if or when we get promoted again.

If this means that JVW comes in as DOF to oversee the overhaul then so be it. CW has lost the right to demand total control over football matters based on this season and unfortunately the recruitment side of things in one of the main things that hasn't been able to keep pace with the progress of the team over the last few years.

I'm sure Paul Mitchell is good at his job but his biggest previous assignment was with Chesterfield. This was OK when we were in League One and to an extent in The Champ but our lack of vision outside of the UK and Ireland has meant we have massively overpaid for players that just don't look Prem standard.

Brentford are the obvious model to try and follow but again this wouldn't be easy to implement overnight as their owner was a professional gambler who then started his own betting company. Statistics and algorithms are his entire life and the amount he has spent on this side of the recruitment process are staggering compared to the size of the club. However the outlay has been dwarfed by the profit made on the players signed on the back of, in effect, a load of stats on a spreadsheet. Maupey, Watkins etc have been sold for massive profits which can then be used to start the process all over again. If they don't get promoted expect the same with Toney next summer.

Simply has to go. The ramifications of this season could be felt for years to come!

I Want him to stay and rebuild next season, hes shown he’s more than capable at championship level, but have some major concerns as it stands.

I understand we are struggling with injuries, have the lowest budget in the league, and it’s unprecidented times. But Wilder appears reluctant to shoulder his portion of the blame or make significant changes to our approch, whch means were as good as beaten before a ball is kicked every game. Irresepctive of circumstance, this is simply not good enough.

We are fed up now, but if this continues for another 21 games then I'm not sure how his position its tenable.

I dont beieve he has lost the dressing room but he needs to try something new. He needs to demonstrate he is able to learn and adapt, and get some fight back into the team to avoid this being a record breaking humiliation.

Right now, i would take finishing bottom on something like 18 points, as it would have at least have meant he had picked us up from this extremely low ebb, presumably tried something new, and that would be an achievement in itself.

Not accepting relegation, but wed do need to be constructivly planning for next season now too, for which Wilder’s own recruitment policy is probably appropriate.

However, long term, he should be reflecting on recruitment and taking a share of the blame. If he was more open to help from a DOF role and foreign markets this would be a sign he is adaptable. He needs to show he is going to learn from this and become a better manager.

Otherwise, even in the best case scenario, in a year or 2 we’re back in the PL with the lowest budget again, blowing the money we do have on unproven domestic players that need time to develop, making the same old mistakes.

Don’t forget, with the Brexit points based system for foreign players, the value of domestic players will likely be inflated.

Love Wilder, he's one of our own, and i am so desperately wanting him to succeed here for seasons to come. In the ridiculous results driven, chop and change world that is football, i would love nothing more than our club to be one that demonstrates that stability is just as important. But it will require learning and adaption along the way from those in charge.

i'd stick with Wilder, but i don't think it's gonna be an easy job to return and think it'll be unlikely at first attempt.
Too many areas lacking quality, pace and power. I think it'll require a major rebuild looking at what we've got at the moment rather than a tweaking.
First thing we need to look at is this british / irish centric base, for me we need to expand our scouting and find some quality offshore players, where its a cheaper market.
I think we've got more pace and power now than we had when we were last in the Championship.

I can’t wait for 7 years in the Championship.
The division after that is open to discussion.

Which good ones are they??

Our club’s history. We’ve had three successful managers in my lifetime, when we sack them we usually go through about 10 consecutive crap managers, before we find another decent one.

I’d rather stick and rebuild in the Championship, a league within which CW is proven.
We sacked Bassett part way through a season following relegation where we were sniffing round the fringes of the play off spots, about where we were for much of the following 11 years. I’m not sure we’d have done better if we’d kept Bassett, much as I live him.

Also, the Bassett and Warnock relegations were vastly different from this one. Then, we were scrapping till the end and went down by fractions. This season is a humiliating swan dive out of the division. It’s making 1976 look respectable. Not only are we short on quality this season - which Wilder is partly responsible for given the £100 million he’s spent - but we look mentally gone. We never did in 1994 or 2007 until the final whistle. This time we’ve looked it since the first whistle.

The problem of a lack of quality might be solved by dropping down into a lower league, but the mentality problem won’t be. What makes people think Wilder will suddenly sort that issue in May and why isn’t he doing it now?

Im still - just about - in favour of keeping him, but I don’t know how he’ll turn it round.

We got through to fourth round of cup. Not big on priorities list. But we’re through and some confidence

I feel like I’ve said this loads of times but now it would be pointless so may as well give him chance to rebuild if he did leave I think it would be on his say not the owners as they’ve stated they would back him, it wouldn’t suprise me if he left but I think in long run it would be a body blow as he seems to have some good innovations for the club and loves sufc but couldn’t mount much of a debate if he did leave as players have let him down a bit I think UTB

Back
Top Bottom