Wilder should be sacked. Here's why...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you’re young you’ll still remember Blackwell, Clough, Weir, Wilson, Adkins, etc. That’s the most recent cycle.
I meant to ask who are the successful managers who've been sacked are

If I was the owner right now I’d sack Wilder unfortunately. I think the only reason he’s still here is we can’t afford to. I worry for us going forward as I don’t think the Prince can afford this club and if we don’t go back up immediately will we be in a financial problem with our owners lack of funds and not many assets to sell.

Apart from Berge, hopefully Brewster, Egan and O’Connell I don’t know who’s worth more than £10m in our squad?

Think we’ve all accepted we’re down, so the fact he’s wasted money in the Prem is irrelevant, he signed some absolute pearlers to get us out of League One and the Championship. He’s gotten us out of there before, he could do it again, he at least deserves another crack. The last time we sacked a manager after relegation from the Prem it was a downward spiral to the third division. It’ll happen again if he’s sacked I reckon.

He's always been hit and miss in the transfer market. Yes, he's signed some worldies but it's easy not to notice some of the guff he's signed when he's not spending any money. He can't get away with poor signings now he's spending the amounts he is doing on players. The list of questionable signings below illustrates that for every John Fleck, Mark Duffy, John Egan, JOC, there's one of the below.

Ricky Holmes
Ryan Leonard
Chris Hussey
Samir Carruthers
Lee Evans
Clayton Donaldson
James Wilson
Ched Evans
Kean Bryan
Marvin Johnson
Ben Woodburn
Conor Washington

If he can rebuild a squad to get us back up then great but the circumstances will be completely different next season to what they were last time we were in the Championship.

I dunno, though... Every game he has the opportunity to rectify his mistake of sticking with a system that doesn't work, yet he's unwilling to budge, even to the point of avoiding criticism in interviews and shifting the blame on players not being good enough. I'm not saying there isn't an element of truth in those comments, but he has to look inwards as well. I can't really see that changing suddenly next season. As we saw from the end of last season, momentum carries through.

He's hurting probably more than some of our fans are with a very difficult issue not helped by COVID.

he's made mistakes and I don't actually see much around other than taking a chance on a journey man manager or some up and coming young gun.

better the devil you know than the one your don't know which I believe is what posters like Rodley are getting at - which I agree with.

UTB

A week ago, I was fully wilder out, but having had time to think about it, what would be the point? There is no one out there that could change things, so we may as well battle on. His signings have been awful, that can't be argued, but we do well to remember its a learning curve for him. I've no doubt he will come back stronger, determined to prove the doubters wrong, i'd prefer that to be with us than another team we may be facing. Yes this season is going to be crap and frankly embarrassing, but suck it up and lets go again next year

First of all, I can't really see as to just why the players signed by a manager should be sacked per se. Signing those players is up to him, not them. Why exactly is it that Robinson should be sacked? I believe he was signed from Forest, costing us £ 500k. With that money - in the PL - you can hardly expect to much of him. Osborn, from Forest, too, was signed at 3,5m quid - the fee being that 'high' just because we were in the PL. What do you expect him to do or to be? Lowe, then - again it's not his fault if some idiot pays millions for him. Who ever said or thought he was ready for the PL? Sharp has not been given enough time this season to prove himself, imo, but yes, he's not exactly your prem quality striker (yet is better than McB). If Wilder was sacked, I'd be very happy to see him taking Ampadu and Brewster with him. They could probaböy play for Yeovil or something. I'd only ask Chris to give the club back the money he spunked on them + Rammers. Moose was worth the fee, imo, just because his goals within the few months last season were pivotal. I hope he can now devote his life to producing rap or what ever it is he is up to.

My point is that everyone points to Wildet for this run and ignores the vast majority of players also underperforming.

The same players who ran through brick walls last season.

Wilder is an issue but he isn’t the only one we have.

He's hurting probably more than some of our fans are with a very difficult issue not helped by COVID.

he's made mistakes and I don't actually see much around other than taking a chance on a journey man manager or some up and coming young gun.

better the devil you know than the one your don't know which I believe is what posters like Rodley are getting at - which I agree with.

UTB
I completely agree with these comments, I love Wilder to bits and he's an all-time club legend, and seeing how much of a shit time he's having isn't nice. It almost looks like he himself has given up though, I really hope if he does stay that he can find a way to motivate the remaining players but it seems like there's a lot of negativity on and off the pitch right now and that's very difficult to overcome. But yeah, like you say, who else is out there? We really need to be looking abroad for managers because domestically there's fuck all.

It's been total dog shite this season that's for sure and I get why some have had enough and want a change. That's only natural. But, I want CW being SUFC manager for a long time to come, and he gets my 100% backing still.
I think if we stick with him in January and sign the players on loan he wants then you’re right no point sacking him see what he can do next season.

If we sack him we sack him now, new manager gets chance to loan a couple get to know the squad and build for the championship maybe even putting up more of a fight to finish this season off.

I don’t want Wilder to go, but as you say during a divorce I just want the old chris back! 😂

no not quite silent but without knee jerk reactions AND allowing him the benefit of multiple promotions with other teams over a few years.

LMA manager of the year was no fluke - ideas developed over many years.

UTB
Let’s be absolutely clear here. A strong negative reaction to 2 points in 17 games and winless in circa 25 games is hardly a kneejerk

We've had Wilder pegged as a master tactician with our overlapping centrebacks but I'm beginning to suspect that the whole change of system to 5-3-2 and Bash and JOC getting forward decision might have just been a lucky throw of the dice. I've not seen very much in the way of tactical nous for a long time. We're getting outthought and outfought every game.
Think it works against lesser teams and only when the team is playing full of confidence, but our confidence is shot the whole ethos is now being exposed

Think it works against lesser teams and only when the team is playing full of confidence, but our confidence is shot the whole ethos is now being exposed

I think a lot of fans didn't quite grasp how much better the team was than the individual players are on their own merits. When we stopped playing as a 110% unit then we don't look that great. When a few players are missing or off form the players look like they belong in another division.

I completely agree with these comments, I love Wilder to bits and he's an all-time club legend, and seeing how much of a shit time he's having isn't nice. It almost looks like he himself has given up though, I really hope if he does stay that he can find a way to motivate the remaining players but it seems like there's a lot of negativity on and off the pitch right now and that's very difficult to overcome. But yeah, like you say, who else is out there? We really need to be looking abroad for managers because domestically there's fuck all.

My opinion is that CW is a very emotional manager - witnessed by his reaction to Jose M after the Spurs game.

He's hurting bad and has little idea how to get out of this present situation.

Sacking him - and what would be the rest of the management team would be detrimental to Sheff United - we have along history of cocking up decisions like this.

As a club (and fans) we just need to stay together.

We're shit (this season) for sure but we use it as a spring board like Burnley and Hull have done recently.

What we DO NOT want to do is then become a Hull City..................... we need to do a Burnley ie: sean Dyche.

UTB

Last edited:
A lot of the players have badly let down Wilder and the fans this season.

Some of the players wearing our shirt this season should be ashamed of themselves. Wilder isn't telling them to turn round and pass back when in advances positions up the pitch, he isn't telling them to mis control or fire passes to eaxh other from 3 yards away. Most of our players are not taking responsibility and too quick to accept defeat. Or meekly stick out a leg to let a player waltz through us and slot one in on the stroke of half time.

Why should they escape the grilling every week. CW has made mistakes I agree, but why should we hang him out to dry when his players (yes the players he brought in I know) and playing like twats. The longer it goes on, the more I want CW to stick around so that he can be ruthless in the summer with some of these fkin losers.

Some of the players wearing our shirt this season should be ashamed of themselves. Wilder isn't telling them to turn round and pass back when in advances positions up the pitch, he isn't telling them to mis control or fire passes to eaxh other from 3 yards away. Most of our players are not taking responsibility and too quick to accept defeat. Or meekly stick out a leg to let a player waltz through us and slot one in on the stroke of half time.

Why should they escape the grilling every week. CW has made mistakes I agree, but why should we hang him out to dry when his players (yes the players he brought in I know) and playing like twats. The longer it goes on, the more I want CW to stick around so that he can be ruthless in the summer with some of these fkin losers.

Let’s be absolutely clear here. A strong negative reaction to 2 points in 17 games and winless in circa 25 games is hardly a kneejerk

and equally lets be clear that 75% on this forum alone WANT him to stay as manager.

I do agree that the figures you've quoted are devastating - i'm hurting as much as anyone, but firmly believe United would be much much worse off in the short term by ditching Wilder.

UTB

I think a lot of fans didn't quite grasp how much better the team was than the individual players are on their own merits. When we stopped playing as a 110% unit then we don't look that great. When a few players are missing or off form the players look like they belong in another division.
If I put my nerd had on for a second, this is actually a really interesting point. In complex systems theory this is known as emergence - where the output of a system is greater than the sum of the output of individual components, aka 'the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts'. I think even before losing some key players the system had been found out at the end of last season, but losing JOC has really exposed the quality of some of the players, which is only more evident when they can't even be arsed to try and win.

I too wouldn’t be against seeing a for want of a better word bomb squad form of players who will be out of the door ASAP.

First of all, I can't really see as to just why the players signed by a manager should be sacked per se. Signing those players is up to him, not them. Why exactly is it that Robinson should be sacked? I believe he was signed from Forest, costing us £ 500k. With that money - in the PL - you can hardly expect to much of him. Osborn, from Forest, too, was signed at 3,5m quid - the fee being that 'high' just because we were in the PL. What do you expect him to do or to be? Lowe, then - again it's not his fault if some idiot pays millions for him. Who ever said or thought he was ready for the PL? Sharp has not been given enough time this season to prove himself, imo, but yes, he's not exactly your prem quality striker (yet is better than McB). If Wilder was sacked, I'd be very happy to see him taking Ampadu and Brewster with him. They could probaböy play for Yeovil or something. I'd only ask Chris to give the club back the money he spunked on them + Rammers. Moose was worth the fee, imo, just because his goals within the few months last season were pivotal. I hope he can now devote his life to producing rap or what ever it is he is up to.
The only rap Mousset is producing is in the word crap.

and equally lets be clear that 75% on this forum alone WANT him to stay as manager.

I do agree that the figures you've quoted are devastating - i'm hurting as much as anyone, but firmly believe United would be much much worse off in the short term by ditching Wilder.

UTB
What does 75% wanting him to stay (I suspect it’s lower now) have to do with whether not the 25% are knee-jerking? That’s a false equivalency. You can say you disagree with them because of xyz. There is a case to be made (mostly sentimental IMO) but given 25 games is 2/3 of a season, I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s a short term strop.

why?

what's sentimental about his record at numerous clubs and his 4.5 years here before our present dire situation?
Surely his record speaks for itself?

UTB
Because 25 games isn’t short term! And I’m judging him on his premier league record. Recruitment, tactics, style of football, results...

Wilder should be looking at this NOW. The end of the season is too later
It was too late 5/7 games ago, no doubt he will asses the players and their attitudes, look at budget for end of season, pointless signing anyone ,unless it's to gel with the squad for the championship

Back
Top Bottom