Wilder should be sacked. Here's why...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Wilder should be sacked or come to a mutual decision to step down.

The main three reasons:

• Consistently wrong transfer business at Premier League level. These are not £500k’s we’re dealing with anymore, we are now talking hundreds of millions given to him in good faith with no tangible improvement to show for it. Not taking up the option of re-loaning Besic and allowing our only creative midfielder to go out on loan to Nottingham Forest were other really poor judgement calls. If that wasn’t enough, not bringing in a creative midfielder when it was clear to just about everybody that this was crucial. So it’s not just the players he signs that he gets wrong, it is the positions he chooses not to sign players for, and also the outgoings. It’s failure on all fronts. If it hasn’t already (and I think it has) this will put the club in a huge financial mess.

• Inability and refusal to plan for an introduction of a plan B when things go wrong. Horrid stubbornness.

• The above two points will probably lead to a single digit points tally. Someone else coming in may just give us enough of a refresh to make it a non-embarrassing relegation and set the scene for a promotion next season.

We can’t carry on with this wretched losing mentality. 2 points in 17 games, and that’s not including the end of last season obviously. We can no longer use sentiment in the position we’re in. We’re a football club and no man is above the club and its best interests.

But there does not have to be any anger towards Wilder. He will still go down in history for getting us to the Premier league from League one, but he is currently adding a tarnish to that status.

We cannot pretend that he is the man to keep us in and around that level when everything is suggesting that he is not. We’re no longer in underdog, build, climb-the-leagues mode. The premier league is not his bread and butter. For us to be back at this level and stay within the next few seasons, it’s time for that honest and respectful mutual realisation between him and the club.

Reading your sig can you either buy a chippy or constantly stay there ?

The main three reasons:

• Consistently wrong transfer business at Premier League level. These are not £500k’s we’re dealing with anymore, we are now talking hundreds of millions given to him in good faith with no tangible improvement to show for it. Not taking up the option of re-loaning Besic and allowing our only creative midfielder to go out on loan to Nottingham Forest were other really poor judgement calls. If that wasn’t enough, not bringing in a creative midfielder when it was clear to just about everybody that this was crucial. So it’s not just the players he signs that he gets wrong, it is the positions he chooses not to sign players for, and also the outgoings. It’s failure on all fronts. If it hasn’t already (and I think it has) this will put the club in a huge financial mess.

• Inability and refusal to plan for an introduction of a plan B when things go wrong. Horrid stubbornness.

• The above two points will probably lead to a single digit points tally. Someone else coming in may just give us enough of a refresh to make it a non-embarrassing relegation and set the scene for a promotion next season.

We can’t carry on with this wretched losing mentality. 2 points in 17 games, and that’s not including the end of last season obviously. We can no longer use sentiment in the position we’re in. We’re a football club and no man is above the club and its best interests.

But there does not have to be any anger towards Wilder. He will still go down in history for getting us to the Premier league from League one, but he is currently adding a tarnish to that status.

We cannot pretend that he is the man to keep us in and around that level when everything is suggesting that he is not. We’re no longer in underdog, build, climb-the-leagues mode. The premier league is not his bread and butter. For us to be back at this level and stay within the next few seasons, it’s time for that honest and respectful mutual realisation between him and the club.

Nah don’t agree.

If Wilder is sacked then also the following should be for consistently underperforming and doing nothing to change a game:

Bryan, Robinson, Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Lundstrum, Osborn, Lowe, Sharp, Moose, Brewster, Ampadu.

Unless we’re using their past performances as a measure for them and NOT doing the same for Wilder.

We've had Wilder pegged as a master tactician with our overlapping centrebacks but I'm beginning to suspect that the whole change of system to 5-3-2 and Bash and JOC getting forward decision might have just been a lucky throw of the dice. I've not seen very much in the way of tactical nous for a long time. We're getting outthought and outfought every game.

I'm pretty sure wilder will look at things when the season is over, if he believes he can get us back up he stays, if not he'll do the admirable nothing and go

The main three reasons:

You must be one of the 25% when there was a poll a few days ago

75% didn't agree with you then and probably don't now.

Noisy minority

UTB

Based on what?

Our club’s history. We’ve had three successful managers in my lifetime, when we sack them we usually go through about 10 consecutive crap managers, before we find another decent one.

I’d rather stick and rebuild in the Championship, a league within which CW is proven.

Our club’s history. We’ve had three successful managers in my lifetime, when we sack them we usually go through about 10 consecutive crap managers, before we find another decent one.

I’d rather stick and rebuild in the Championship, a league within which CW is proven.

The difference is, his two seasons in the Championship were on the back of a promotion. It's a far tougher task trying to turn the worst club in Premier League history into winners again.

Think we’ve all accepted we’re down, so the fact he’s wasted money in the Prem is irrelevant, he signed some absolute pearlers to get us out of League One and the Championship. He’s gotten us out of there before, he could do it again, he at least deserves another crack. The last time we sacked a manager after relegation from the Prem it was a downward spiral to the third division. It’ll happen again if he’s sacked I reckon.

Genuinely asking cos I'm a young en, who are you referring to here? Bassett?

The main three reasons:

What a pile of dug shyte

Genuinely asking cos I'm a young en, who are you referring to here? Bassett?

He's 3, i'm 4 - Harris, Bassett, Warnock and Wilder

UTB

Edit.......in 54 years by the way - long time, hence the reason for the majority wanting to keep hold of Wilder and not gift him (yet) to some one else

It's been total dog shite this season that's for sure and I get why some have had enough and want a change. That's only natural. But, I want CW being SUFC manager for a long time to come, and he gets my 100% backing still.

I'm pretty sure wilder will look at things when the season is over, if he believes he can get us back up he stays, if not he'll do the admirable nothing and go
Wilder should be looking at this NOW. The end of the season is too later

If Wilder is sacked then also the following should be for consistently underperforming and doing nothing to change a game:

Bryan, Robinson, Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Lundstrum, Osborn, Lowe, Sharp, Moose, Brewster, Ampadu.

Unless we’re using their past performances as a measure for them and NOT doing the same for Wilder.
I'm afraid the buck stops with the manager

Ah fair, I didn't include warnock because I thought Rodley meant "successful managers who have also been sacked"

Think the issue with most of us oldies, is getting another decent manager always seems a long task with some dire teams stuck between them.

Wilder (for me) offers a level of continuity - whilst accepting he has made mistakes, but hopefully with the ability and honesty to recognise his mistakes next time.

UTB

Agree to a certain extent that he hasn’t signed the correct players. You can’t blame wilder for our out of the box tactical play not working this year when it got us into the top ten but there are reasons for this, namely:

knowing that JOC would be out and not finding a replacement or poor judgement of the players he currently has for that role. Effectively making us a one dimensional attacking down the right hand side team.

Going down the eggs in one basket way of playing to the extent you have no wingers or creative midfielders limiting the quality of our flexible tactical changes. Sure we can play 442 or 4321 but are the players really good enough at this level to play in that system? A problem we didn’t have when coming up against bottom half championship sides.

I don’t think for a minute he has put the club in any sort of financial danger at all, he’s not daft and you can’t have it both ways. Although, it’s been alluded to by other posters that his cautious wage structure approach may also be a reason some of the names we were after never arrived. This is not a cop out, be we are a victim of our own success. Of which the speed the 11 progressed on the pitch wasn’t replicated off the pitch in regards to scouting, facilities etc. The downturn of a 11 historically reliable players, has left wilder exposed without the tools to fix it.

First of all, I can't really see as to just why the players signed by a manager should be sacked per se. Signing those players is up to him, not them. Why exactly is it that Robinson should be sacked? I believe he was signed from Forest, costing us £ 500k. With that money - in the PL - you can hardly expect to much of him. Osborn, from Forest, too, was signed at 3,5m quid - the fee being that 'high' just because we were in the PL. What do you expect him to do or to be? Lowe, then - again it's not his fault if some idiot pays millions for him. Who ever said or thought he was ready for the PL? Sharp has not been given enough time this season to prove himself, imo, but yes, he's not exactly your prem quality striker (yet is better than McB). If Wilder was sacked, I'd be very happy to see him taking Ampadu and Brewster with him. They could probaböy play for Yeovil or something. I'd only ask Chris to give the club back the money he spunked on them + Rammers. Moose was worth the fee, imo, just because his goals within the few months last season were pivotal. I hope he can now devote his life to producing rap or what ever it is he is up to.

The difference is, his two seasons in the Championship were on the back of a promotion. It's a far tougher task trying to turn the worst club in Premier League history into winners again.

yes good point - but CWAK history is about creating a team(s) from little and succeeding.

I believe MOST reckon he has earnt that privilege here and at other clubs.

UTB

I'm afraid CW is more proven in lower league football, looks like that is his level

Wilder gave us our respect back, gave us some great games and great seasons. No easy answer to this, I don't want to see Wilder sacked, but the current lack of everything can't go on, it would be almost impossible to pick the players up for next season.
The form since the season resumed after lockdown, and since the new season started has been abysmal, a tough one to call but the Prince and Wilder have a difficult discussion ahead.

Think the issue with most of us oldies, is getting another decent manager always seems a long task with some dire teams stuck between them.

Wilder (for me) offers a level of continuity - whilst accepting he has made mistakes, but hopefully with the ability and honesty to recognise his mistakes next time.

UTB
I dunno, though... Every game he has the opportunity to rectify his mistake of sticking with a system that doesn't work, yet he's unwilling to budge, even to the point of avoiding criticism in interviews and shifting the blame on players not being good enough. I'm not saying there isn't an element of truth in those comments, but he has to look inwards as well. I can't really see that changing suddenly next season. As we saw from the end of last season, momentum carries through.

Back
Top Bottom