Wilder raging

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Honesty ?

Of course.

Pashun ?

No doubt.

Admitting you picked the wrong fuckin side ?

Not a chance !

That midfield would have got over run in the Championship.

We missed Fleck enormously although his direct replacement did well.

As unpopular as this will be, Norwood is not a PL player. Not even close actually.

I simply can’t be disappointed to lose against a side that was, frankly, a class above for the most part. We of course had our moments, and scored via a great cross and sublime header.

But the midfield area is a concern.

UTB
Yes we were lackingquality in certain areas

People will say this is too formulaic or "Football Manager" but (tin hat on) for arguments sake , let's say that 40 points is 10 wins , 10 draws & 18 defeats. Let's also imagine we lose twice to every top-six team , that's 12 defeats - we have only 6 more games we can lose - yesterday CW saw us throw away a point against a good (but not amazing) side which snaffles one of our 6 games which are losable (yet still survive). So there's only 5 more such defeats + we're going to be in trouble. This is not me putting pressure on Wilder , this is exactly what the man will be thinking when he reviews yesterday's game.

Yes we were lackingquality in certain areas
Following on from that this is a big learning curve and Wilder and the players are in it together we will get better and with Wilder demanding more all the time.
Some players will find it too much but it's too early to judge time will sort them out.After Wilders strong comments after the game he will not shy away from making big decisions on players , as I said too eearly to call yet it is a big step up for them all.

Think that Leicester were another rung or two up the ladder from Palace in terms of ability. Think we were a bit overawed by them in first half which caused us to give the ball away and misdirect passes. Also I do not think that Robinson works up front with Didsy. We rely on putting crosses into the box and this is not playing to his strengths. He needs the ball played through on the floor for him to run onto. When we replaced these to with OMcB and Billy we looked much better but we need to play much quicker as so often by the time the cross came in their defence was well set. Also I would like to see us varying things a bit by trying to play it through the middle on the deck on occasions even in the second half.
Thought the defence again and particularly John Egan were outstanding apart from Bash’s mistake for their first goal. Never caught on the break.
We are still learning and this was another good lesson.

Wilder is telling the world ( and in the P.L. I mean 'the world') that we are not here to make up the numbers just for 12 months.

He's telling the players, the media, the fans and other clubs that we will be disappointed if we don't outwork and outplay the opposition with confidence and composure, doing all the right things all the time, especially in the first half and not just on a big gung-ho surge last 30 minutes.

United are so much better than the sum of their parts, and to that end CW will not accept nice chat and platitudes playing nice does not keep you up. WE will get it right but hard game at Chelsea on Saturday but, despite everything Leicester are a well established PL club and have won it we'll play worse & win.

I have another slant on his “there’s no points for effort, effort is the least we expect” comment.

Is he getting pissed off with the media’s tag line of “hard working Sheffield United”?

I am. We’re so much more than that.
Yes , it could be partly that , but I think he was replying to the interviewers observation that the fans applauded the team off after a defeat because they had seen their team put full effort into the game - and for the manager , that's as given - he also needs the team to follow his instructions + think about what they are doing - if I was to put the difference between us & Leicester down to one key factor , I would say "speed of thought" - most of our players are going to have to "think quicker" , and that is a hard thing to suddenly do. They all have skills if given the time to show them , but take an extra split second to execute + you've lost your chance. Imho , it's speed of thought which distinguishes natural world class talent , when you're watching a top six side - and obviously Leicester are a bit closer to it than us - at this stage - but I wonder if you can train "speed of thought" into your players ? I genuinely don't know.

In my 50 years of following the Blades , the better managers tend to be the ones who "see" the game as most supporters see it - ie: they are honest + pick out the obvious aspects - NW & DB had this to some extent , but I have never known a manager as honest as CW. From early doors in the first half , the main impression formed by my mates + those around us was that we were unnecesarily giving away possession far too cheaply. Norwood & Egan were guilty on several occasions , but then Egan seemed to improve after they scored. But it took Basham , going on a pointless sideways run (which we were all screaming "you're blocked - get rid" way before he gave the ball meekly away) + gifted their first goal. We simply can't afford to do this in the Prem. I also agree that the Robbinson McGoldrick striker conbination doesn't work coz Robbo is a winger & MGoldrick is a 10. I think Robbo is a good player but I dunno why CW (who doesn't play wingers) bought him , unless he thought he could convert him into a Billy Sharp - but the Prem isn't going to allow time for that.
Once we brought on 2 proper strikers + stopped giving possesion away , we were twice the team in 2nd half + a draw would not have been unfair to Leicester.
So there is little wonder that CW publicly highlighted "the turning over if possession" (in direct conflict with his dressing room instructions) as our first half downfall.
The media then went + misinterpreted his "there's no points for effort" into him somehow suggesting the team lacked effort - he was saying the opposite - they put the effort in , but were too careless in possession. It's nice for the fans to applaud effort , but the manager can't , when failure to follow his instructions leads to unnecessary defeat.

Spot on. I watched MOTD and Ian Wright did exactly the same. No, Wilder didn't say we didn't put enough effort in, he said that 100% effort is a given to play in his team, it was turning over possession that he was mainly un-appeh about.

Yes , it could be partly that , but I think he was replying to the interviewers observation that the fans applauded the team off after a defeat because they had seen their team put full effort into the game - and for the manager , that's as given - he also needs the team to follow his instructions + think about what they are doing - if I was to put the difference between us & Leicester down to one key factor , I would say "speed of thought" - most of our players are going to have to "think quicker" , and that is a hard thing to suddenly do. They all have skills if given the time to show them , but take an extra split second to execute + you've lost your chance. Imho , it's speed of thought which distinguishes natural world class talent , when you're watching a top six side - and obviously Leicester are a bit closer to it than us - at this stage - but I wonder if you can train "speed of thought" into your players ? I genuinely don't know.
Brilliant point on speed of thought.

And it’s very difficult to improve UNLESS you have a brilliant first touch, so vital at the highest level.

Such an important attribute is a reliable and deft first touch. Genuinely sorts the men from the boys.

UTB

Spot on. I watched MOTD and Ian Wright did exactly the same. No, Wilder didn't say we didn't put enough effort in, he said that 100% effort is a given to play in his team, it was turning over possession that he was mainly un-appeh about.

Ian Wright clearly can't be arsed to do his research on us, or even listen to Wilder. MOTD is a shadow of the EFL on Quest. I would take Colin Murray & Holloway over Lineker, Wright and co. all day long.

He's angry...first loss of the season in a game we could have won, and should have drawn. Good for him...let him rage, and let the players know beyond doubt that he will not accept anything less than perfection from them this year.

We as fans can applaud a good performance against a top 6 or 7 side. He as the boss will not do that, as we lost. He will get into them and remind them of the standards he demands. Privately I'm sure he gave most of our players some credit from yesterday, but good on him for giving the team as a whole a reminder that we're not here to be "hard working plucky underdogs." We're here on merit, and we're here to compete. I'd be narked at CW if he meekly accepted defeats in the way that Warnock did.

Honesty ?

Of course.

Pashun ?

No doubt.

Not a chance !

As unpopular as this will be, Norwood is not a PL player. Not even close actually.

I simply can’t be disappointed to lose against a side that was, frankly, a class above for the most part. We of course had our moments, and scored via a great cross and sublime header.

UTB
The midfield didn't get over run yesterday

The midfield didn't get over run yesterday
We have got options in midfield its early doors yet ,Osborne Bosic for two havnt had chance which will come.Its still a learning curve for them all.
Ok we lost to two great finishes but were in the game from start to finish we can and will play better Wilder will make sure of that.
We seem to be forgetting where we were 3 years ago the jump in class is massive we are competing well but Wilder and us want more,Rome wernt built in a day.

We have got options in midfield its early doors yet ,Osborne Bosic for two havnt had chance which will come.Its still a learning curve for them all.
Ok we lost to two great finishes but were in the game from start to finish we can and will play better Wilder will make sure of that.
We seem to be forgetting where we were 3 years ago the jump in class is massive we are competing well but Wilder and us want more,Rome wernt built in a day.
Yeah I agree I think the lads looked a bit overawed and wilder won't like that
He never actually said it in his interview but I think that's what he's getting at
It was like he was expecting a performance like that
The lads can't afford to be looking around wondering if they deserve to be there or not they've earned the right and I think his words yesterday were his way of telling them that
I'd expect big changes if we start another game like that and the ones dropped to never get back in the team again

I'd also play the same eleven against Blackburn that he's planning on starting with against Chelsea as too many players have been on the periphery and need to know where they stand

Honesty ?

Of course.

Pashun ?

No doubt.

Not a chance !

UTB

Ain't hindsight great.

But I guess you know all there is to know about picking the right team and managing a squad of footballers

Ain't hindsight great.

But I guess you know all there is to know about picking the right team and managing a squad of footballers
Nope. Not really. Just smarter than your average bear 😉👀.

Wilder got it wrong yesterday. As part of his in built defence mechanism, the players (collectively rather than individually to his credit) copped for it. A natural and very human reaction to deflect criticism.

I’m not having it. That’s all really.

The blokes in credit massively. No doubt.

But he isn’t and shouldn’t be immune from criticism. IMHO.

UTB

Ian Wright clearly can't be arsed to do his research on us, or even listen to Wilder. MOTD is a shadow of the EFL on Quest. I would take Colin Murray & Holloway over Lineker, Wright and co. all day long.

MOTD have been big boy suck ups for many a year.

Not seen last night's show but I'll probably watch it a little more this season for obvious reasons.

I don't mind Shearer tbf and I've always had a love hate relationship with Wright.

I used to quite like Lineker when he first started out in TV but in more recent years I find him rather smug.

Despite spending all afternoon assessing games you just get the impression it's a quick gloss over the less fashionable teams and all about the establishment. Very similar to Sky as well imho.

It's just the way it is with PL coverage. At least Sky have a few more dedicated people for the EFL.

I've read most of the comments on here and there are so many opposing view points it's become quite apparent we need a 'view from S24SU'.

Nope. Not really. Just smarter than your average bear 😉👀.

Wilder got it wrong yesterday. As part of his in built defence mechanism, the players (collectively rather than individually to his credit) copped for it. A natural and very human reaction to deflect criticism.

I’m not having it. That’s all really.

The blokes in credit massively. No doubt.

But he isn’t and shouldn’t be immune from criticism. IMHO.

UTB

You cannot say he got it wrong. Team selection is far more than just picking everybodies favourite players. The real issues were team wide in the first half.

To think he's going to come out and act all humble and admit he made a team selection mistake is just plain silly and in the context of the game would never ever happen.

You cannot say he got it wrong. Team selection is far more than just picking everybodies favourite players. The real issues were team wide in the first half.

To think he's going to come out and act all humble and admit he made a team selection mistake is just plain silly and in the context of the game would never ever happen.
Can. Will. Have done.

Some (plural) bad decisions in the starting 11 yesterday. Compounded by a lack of incisive decision making to change things. IMHO.

“The real issues were team wide in the first half” you say ?

No shit. That’s my point !

UTB

Can. Will. Have done.

Some (plural) bad decisions in the starting 11 yesterday. Compounded by a lack of incisive decision making to change things. IMHO.

UTB

....and we still delay our delivery. I appreciate the pros & cons of the argument, I also understand the view that we've got this far by playing a certain way, but for the last 15 minutes of our game v. Bournemouth and the same yesterday, get the ball into the box as quickly and frequently as we can. We also pull men out of the central areas to be involved in the short passing on the byline. If the ball ends up in the keeper's hands, someone block the quick release to stop a break. There's goals and points to be had. They were shitting it yesterday and we didn't turn the screw. Also 2nd half the number of times a ball went square on the edge of their area and we helped it on rather than shooting.....🤯

Vardy isn’t a popular lad round our parts, and I get why. Piggy little rat faced cunt. But my god he’s a quality striker. When he picked that ball for his goal, he just looked so confident he was going to score and that’s a massive credit to him and a sign of a top class goal scorer. His genuine premier league class and a wonder strike were what separated the teams and I don’t think there’s anything to be glum about that. We weren’t at our best through our own mistakes. They weren’t at theirs either, and that was down to us. These Blades will go well.

I can sort of understand scepticism but ‘not even close’ is a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

However I rate Norwood highly. He just needs to start games a lot quicker than he is at the minute. He’s grown into every one, he’s certainly not been as bad as you seem to be convinced he is.

I have concerns about the team in a couple of areas, Ollie Norwood isn’t one of them.

Can. Will. Have done.

UTB
Wait, did you expect him to change a winning side???

I can sort of understand scepticism but ‘not even close’ is a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

However I rate Norwood highly. He just needs to start games a lot quicker than he is at the minute. He’s grown into every one, he’s certainly not been as bad as you seem to be convinced he is.

I have concerns about the team in a couple of areas, Ollie Norwood isn’t one of them.
I thought Norwood was particularly poor yesterday, but that doesn't make him a poor player.

We all have an off day at work sometimes.

Onwards and upwards.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom