Wilder now v Wilder 12 months ago

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bruce Wayne

Reaction score
Just listened to his post match interview and apart from our defensive mistakes which he quite rightly had a go at he just talked about matching their midfield as a reason for not playing Duffy, keeping our shape when we 1-0 up and sitting back more and that he would have been happy to take a draw.

The start of last season it was fuck the opposition and go out and play to our strengths, proper gung ho attitude, do or die stuff. We need to go back to this approach, 1 shot on target isn't going to work.

Some of the players seem to have completely lost their bravery. Stevens is one who never takes him man on. Baldock used to make marauding tuns but tends to play it safe now. It's all well and good having a centreback on the left wing but I'd rather have a left winger on the left wing.

At the same time, Wilder seems to have lost his fearlessness. I worry that the spirit and anything goes attitude that got us here has gone and the players are starting to look like the magic has worn off.

It can still work (as the goal today proved) as how are defenders meant to defend against that? But, it needs to be fearless and we increasingly play with fear.

Can't recall Basham stomping down the wing much today which was strange.

Some of you see a very different game. We’re doing the exact same thing we were doing when the going was good. Game after game the approach and pattern is EXACTLY the same.

ITS BEEN SUSSED OUT!!!!! Teams are expecting it. He needs to adapt or the decline will continue.

Can't recall Basham stomping down the wing much today which was strange.

Apart from that pathetic dive for a penatly. Where he would have been better off staying on his feet.

Did he explain why he made no effort to negate the changes they made 2nd half that were clearly causing us problems?

Some of you see a very different game. We’re doing the exact same thing we were doing when the going was good. Game after game the approach and pattern is EXACTLY the same.

ITS BEEN SUSSED OUT!!!!! Teams are expecting it. He needs to adapt or the decline will continue.

For me, you're right and wrong.

When the going was good we moved the ball and attacked with urgency, pace and energy. When it's not so good we're slower. Players aren't gambling. We allow the opposition to regroup. We cross from deep.

We have been 'sussed out' in the sense that teams know how we play. Most now know how to try and stop us. More are figuring out how to stop us and beat us.

Swansea were playing safe first half. Slowing the game down like we've seen before at BDTBL, mugging the ref with PL antics and seeing what we're about. Second half braver, pass and move - with a player wide on each touchline. Sliced our defence and taught a lesson.
Am absolutely floored. Took the enjoyment from a really lovely pint of NZ pale ale 4.2% at Walkley beer shop thingy.
FFS and UTB.
I also blame the new shirt.

He does this now and again. It's his "too clever Trevor" moments when he over thinks it. It was compounded today by some daft decisions in taking McGoldrick off and leaving the Duffy substitution too late. What he sees in Stevens any more I aint got a clue either.

It wasn’t a Wilder esque interview in that he singled a few players out for criticism whilst defending the system and tactics. Usually he’s the first to hold his hands up and say we got it wrong tactically so we tried to change it but he felt the system and team selection was good and needed to match Swansea up in midfield. Which is fair enough if Evans and Lundstram are a brick wall in front of the back four. However they were anything but solid and I think that’s is partly the reason we saw Fleck getting forward so little as he was constantly covering for both of them. Get Fleck and Duffy back in the same team and get on the front foot as we don't have the personnel to sit back . Didn’t think Mcgoldrick did bad but him and Clarke look far too similar types of player. Early doors though in tufty we trust. UTB

It wasn’t a Wilder esque interview in that he singled a few players out for criticism whilst defending the system and tactics. Usually he’s the first to hold his hands up and say we got it wrong tactically so we tried to change it but he felt the system and team selection was good and needed to match Swansea up in midfield. Which is fair enough if Evans and Lundstram are a brick wall in front of the back four. However they were anything but solid and I think that’s is partly the reason we saw Fleck getting forward so little as he was constantly covering for both of them. Get Fleck and Duffy back in the same team and get on the front foot as we don't have the personnel to sit back . Didn’t think Mcgoldrick did bad but him and Clarke look far too similar types of player. Early doors though in tufty we trust. UTB

If you had listened to the Swansea fans and pundits prior to the game they singled out their midfield as being their weak spot so we should have just played our own game and not worried about them, just like Wilder said he was going to do on Sky before the game.

Fleck was not covering for Evans and Lundestram ...at all ..re watch the match ..Fleck was anonymous

And if yu have Duffy in ..how much covering can one man do ....get a grip ...
The point I was making about playing Duffy is that we keep the ball better and have options on when players look up. And as such we don't need to be covering for players constantly having lost the ball. That midfield trio whoever you want to blame was a mess and didn't work I have no need to rewatch a match to tell you that.

Wilder needs to hit the fucking gym. We're at our best when he's in shape.

Well, as shapely as a 50 year old man who lives on Peroni can be.

Back
Top Bottom