Wilder new contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As did Potter and Dean Smith. It’s a reward to fend off interest from outside parties. To bring them in line with their peers.
That implies they were previously on less than their peers.

I absolutely agree! Get him signed up...before the toffees come sniffing!

I absolutely agree! Get him signed up...before the toffees come sniffing!
Moshiri wants a big name from Europe like Ten Haag, Kenwright wants Moyes back. Neither of them are interested in Wilder.

That implies they were previously on less than their peers.
That is my point, a newly promoted team and a manager brought up from the division below you would expect to be on a lower figure than those who’ve been their a while.

A newly promoted should never immediately increase manager and all player salaries to PL levels.

Although we’ve had a good start let’s not forget we have achieved nothing so far. If we give the manager a big pay rise...the players will want a big pay rise.....then if we get relegated the 1st season then parachute payments are lower than normal. We’d instantly fall foul of FFP and the future of the club would be under threat.

We should stay patient and review the situation each Summer when we know what division we’ll be in so can plan ahead and budget accordingly.

The players have Premiership clauses in relation to pay and bonuses anyway, as they do Championship clauses. All the players contracts fluctuate dependent on which league we are in and how high or low we are in that league. I would like to think the days of football clubs naively not insuring themselves against relegation are long gone.

All I suggested was, that perhaps Wilders current contract already compares favourably with other Premiership managers salary, I wasn’t advocating that he got another increase.

It seems there is a presumption by some, perhaps based on history, that United will be paying him minimum wage plus 15%. I don’t agree, I think HRH is astute enough to realise that the Wilder and Knill management team have influenced Uniteds fortunes, both on and off the field, more than any other individuals in the history of the club. I’m confident he also appreciates that without them our future would be very uncertain and consequently will ensure they are well rewarded.

Whats more, surely any player who tried to make a case that they deserved an improved deal because Wilder had got one, would be laughed out of the boardroom 🙄

Last edited:
Why on earth aren’t we offering Wilder the biggest and best contract we can financially afford? And the longest one he will sign
[/QUOTE]

Maybe we already have? We know he signed a new contract in the summer, who’s to say that the terms weren’t exactly what he was looking for?

The players have Premiership clauses in relation to pay and bonuses anyway, as they do Championship clauses. All the players contracts fluctuate dependent on which league we are in and how high or low we are in that league. I would like to think the days of football clubs naively not insuring themselves against relegation are long gone.

All I suggested was, that perhaps Wilders current contract already compares favourably with other Premiership managers salary, I wasn’t advocating that he got another increase.

It seems there is a presumption by some, perhaps based on history, that United will be paying him minimum wage plus 15%. I don’t agree, I think HRH is astute enough to realise that the Wilder and Knill management team have influenced Uniteds fortunes, both on and off the field, more than any other individuals in the history of the club. I’m confident he also appreciates that without them our future would be very uncertain and consequently will ensure they are well rewarded.

Whats more, surely any player who tried to make a case that they deserved an improved deal because Wilder had got one, would be laughed out of the boardroom 🙄

So in your opinion Villa and Brighton have what? Wasted money tieing down their asset? Not trying to be difficult just interested your opinion on what they have done?

Everton are currently in the process of sacking their manager, if anybody comes knocking it’ll be them, Man Utd and Arsenal shop in a different market, Everton are more grass roots having had a good few British managers in recent years, they are likely to knock on the door then you’ll all get to see what wilders commitment is first hand.

I personally think he’s our man for a good few years, but remember “it’s us” and something bizarre always happens when we are in the premier league to somehow derail the whole show..

Something to complain about when there isn't anything to complain about.

Some people on here and twitter would have us writing up a fresh contract after every half decent result or another PL Manager gets the boot. I trust the current regime to do everything they can to retain him should some other club make him an offer, certainly more than I would McCabe.

So in your opinion Villa and Brighton have what? Wasted money tieing down their asset? Not trying to be difficult just interested your opinion on what they have done?

I don’t know, nobody does, that’s my point, People are imploring United to give Wilder an improved contract. But, they have done quite recently. So we don’t know how his current one compares to the Premiership average, for example. Perhaps he’s already on more than the contracts that Potter and Smith have just signed.

It’s bloody obvious that when you’ve stumbled upon a fantastic manager, that you should reward him handsomely and try and secure his future. More so, when he’s taken the same squad from League one to the Premier League, but everyone is assuming that he earns peanuts, which he doesn’t. I’m confident Wilder is a millionaire and will be a multi millionaire by the time he retires.

If his motivation is primarily money, he will always be able to earn more at some other clubs. It all depends on his outlook, how much is enough? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don’t care what we pay him. Smash the budget and pay him more than anyone else would over a longer period than anyone else would. Can’t imagine us without Wilder now.
I don’t go along with what you say about money, but your last sentence rings so true. In only 3 years he has made it feel as if the whole identity of the club comes from him. I don’t remember anything similar in my years watching the Blades. He would be impossible to replace on a like-for-like basis. And presumably he could go elsewhere and achieve great things, but could not fully reproduce that unique sense of belonging.

but as I said we could triple his wages but it changes nothing, it still won’t prevent other clubs offering him much higher wages than we could ever afford.
This is spot on if big club comes knocking big money and such we cannot compete, if he signed a 40 year contract he could still leave just means we could get more compo.

This is spot on if big club comes knocking big money and such we cannot compete, if he signed a 40 year contract he could still leave just means we could get more compo.

Agree...but a few million compo is massive for a club plying its trade in Championship club but it’s chicken feed in the PL.
If a PL a big PL club wants Wilder they’ll just double or triple whatever we increase his pay to.
Then they’ll just pay the 5 to 10 million compensation.
I think when Wilder does eventually leave he’ll go with his head held high and have valid reasons.

The great news for us though is that much about manager appointments is more about fashion, image and status rather than ability.
The fact is managers like Chris Wilder are still totally out of fashion....the masses would NOT accept him...until he comes back in fashion.

So very true but if being honest I see him as a future England manager

Possibly but there needs to be a change in fan culture/ intelligence, so it’s going to be really difficult.

Ive mentioned this before but with CW it really is an example of the “Emporers New clothes“ story.
Sky have marketed the PL that it’s almost like a form of brainwashing, fashion and image is everything.

Most PL fans (sheep) prefer a foreign manager with an exotic sounding name
or they want a big name player...they automatically assume that Steven Gerard, Frank Lampard or even Wayne Rooney are the best managers in the game.
They are also obsessed with money...so if a player cost 5 million then he can’t be any good
Where as if a club spends 40 million on a player then that player must be top quality.

Theres a load of snobbery and deluded stupidity going on in the Premier league
so no fans of any decent PL have the remotest interest in Wilder....they class him as a nobody from the lower leagues

If we stay around the top 6 all season, win a few trophy and have a good run in the Europa Cup....only then will Wilder be taken seriously.

I don’t know, nobody does, that’s my point, People are imploring United to give Wilder an improved contract. But, they have done quite recently. So we don’t know how his current one compares to the Premiership average, for example. Perhaps he’s already on more than the contracts that Potter and Smith have just signed.

It’s bloody obvious that when you’ve stumbled upon a fantastic manager, that you should reward him handsomely and try and secure his future. More so, when he’s taken the same squad from League one to the Premier League, but everyone is assuming that he earns peanuts, which he doesn’t. I’m confident Wilder is a millionaire and will be a multi millionaire by the time he retires.

If his motivation is primarily money, he will always be able to earn more at some other clubs. It all depends on his outlook, how much is enough? 🤷🏻‍♂️

My issue is the last paragraph. He will be able to earn more at other clubs. Football is a short short game. Ranieri would the league with Leicester and got sacked season after. Managers want security. They want to be wanted by their own bosses.

I feel this is an unnecessary risk. Imagine if he did leave it’s all well and good me being right on here but we lose our United the day he leaves.

It has been a matter of months since his last pay-rise. We should possibly wait to the end of the season if we want to give him another one.

He will never leave United unless United have already left him. On that day our worries will be why he left, not that he left.

If Wilder thinks he deserves a better contract he will ask for one, and he will get it.

If things go well here there are only 2 jobs that he might leave for in the future, Man United or England, but not for a while yet. Mind you, by the time he is ready, if things continue as now, he could well have his choice of Barca, Real or Inter.

Contracts for managers don't mean much in terms of stopping a manager from leaving if they want. Look at Bruce. If Wilder decides he wants to leave tonight he could. A pay rise obviously would be a factor and I would certainly match any offer he gets.

My issue is the last paragraph. He will be able to earn more at other clubs. Football is a short short game. Ranieri would the league with Leicester and got sacked season after. Managers want security. They want to be wanted by their own bosses.

I feel this is an unnecessary risk. Imagine if he did leave it’s all well and good me being right on here but we lose our United the day he leaves.

Yeah I wholeheartedly agree, no team in the Premier League is so reliant on keeping their manager as we are.

But, whatever we pay him, there are a few clubs who are capable of comfortably outbidding us.

Just hope he’s got enough money, loves playing golf at The Hallamshire after training and being able to walk into work if he chooses 🙏🏻

As an aside, this obsession with constantly increasing players and managers wages is why clubs are going out of business. I don’t know what the solution is but, turning this on its head, how would we all react if, after a good start to the season, United wrote to us all and said “we sold you a season ticket for £400 but are doing better than expected, so you need to pay us an extra £200”. We’d rightly be outraged but the books gave to be balanced, do somebody ultimately has to pay.

So in yesterday’s interview he basically asks for a new contract. Surly now we give him one.

So in yesterday’s interview he basically asks for a new contract. Surly now we give him one.

Already said he's not talking about this yet.

Asked Chris Wilder today about a new contract at Sheffield United, given Graham Potter & Dean Smith were both rewarded recently. CW: “I've always said to players, we'll come to them. The same then goes for us (staff)."

Will post clip later #twitterblades @BBCLookNorth https://t.co/WQnL5wEIkD

Back
Top Bottom