Wilder new contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladezz

Reaction score
In recent weeks we have seen Graham Potter at Brighton get a new 5 year deal and the same goes for Dean Smith (4 year deal at Villa). Brighton are 15th and Villa 16th and both have spent more money than us by a long way.

Potter was recently appointed start of the season and they have rewarded him for his start to the premier league.

Why on earth aren’t we offering Wilder the biggest and best contract we can financially afford? And the longest one he will sign.

We all agree Wilder is hot property at the moment a win tonight puts us 6th above Manchester United / Tottenham and Arsenal. We all know he has a strong link to the club but why should he be punished for it? We just say he won’t leave but I know if I dragged my firm from absolutely nowhere to top of the tree and everyone was getting paid more than me I’d be fuming.

If a club comes in for him and offers him a package we cannot match then what..... we will offer him a new contract that’s nowhere near the lights of others.

Risky times.

In recent weeks we have seen Graham Potter at Brighton get a new 5 year deal and the same goes for Dean Smith (4 year deal at Villa). Brighton are 15th and Villa 16th and both have spent more money than us by a long way.

Potter was recently appointed start of the season and they have rewarded him for his start to the premier league.

Why on earth aren’t we offering Wilder the biggest and best contract we can financially afford? And the longest one he will sign.

We all agree Wilder is hot property at the moment a win tonight puts us 6th above Manchester United / Tottenham and Arsenal. We all know he has a strong link to the club but why should he be punished for it? We just say he won’t leave but I know if I dragged my firm from absolutely nowhere to top of the tree and everyone was getting paid more than me I’d be fuming.

If a club comes in for him and offers him a package we cannot match then what..... we will offer him a new contract that’s nowhere near the lights of others.

Risky times.
I agree, here’s hoping Princey Junior reads this forum

Whatever the Blades offer, a top team could not only match but I’m sure double. The Blades can offer him what no other team can, living the dream of establishing his team in the top flight. Give him the tools to do that and I can’t see any amount of money tempting him away.

How do you know they're not talking about it.?

Besides that, I thought he got one in the summer

Would be stupid and reckless to give Wilder a 5 year contract and very much against Wilders principles.

Wilder himself says to his players...,,work hard produce the goods and the financial rewards will follow.

I’ve heard it said “give him a big pay rise” to protect our asset but that’s also not applicable. We could triple Wilders wage but it wouldn’t stop several PL from coming in and smashing that contract again.....besides I think it’s an insult to think Wilder is a mercenary and only interested in money.

Wilder lives in the area and if he leaves SU he’s said in the past he wants to leave with his head held high. He’s ambitious and wants to see how far he can take the club. If the owners restrict his ambitions with low transfer budgets and refusing to upgrade the training facilities. If he thinks the club is stagnating and he’s not being supported, then he will consider other options.

Last edited:
How do you know they're not talking about it.?

Besides that, I thought he got one in the summer

Wilders has been given an upgraded contract every year he’s been here. He keeps exceeding his targets so deserves financial rewards.

but as I said we could triple his wages but it changes nothing, it still won’t prevent other clubs offering him much higher wages than we could ever afford.

Also the “risky times” comment is totally illogical. When any player or manager performs well then the risk increases that they could be offered more money elsewhere. That’s football, you quickly find replacements.

A solution to this problem could be to become crap again and return to league 1 ha.

Last edited:
I’ve heard it said “give him a big pay rise” to protect our asset but that’s also not applicable. We could triple Wilders wage but it wouldn’t stop several PL from coming in and smashing that contract again.....besides I think it’s an insult to think Wilder is a mercenary and only interested in money.
This is how I see it too. What worries me a bit though is his mate Wit keeps making noises on Twitter, and although I know it's just Tweetery, it's still tingling the old Spidey senses.

Is it too rose tinted to think that Wilder would want to consolidate his and Knill’s legacy, here?
In tandem with success on the pitch, the legacy could include getting the training facilities updated to the highest standard, the academy flourishing, and the ground updated to increase the capacity.
It may well rank as his greatest achievement in his whole career (assuming a World Cup is a pipe dream if ever the FA would appoint a manager with strong opinions) if he could establish the Blades as a perennial member of the PL. Taking a club from the third division to the top and keeping them there - potentially winning one of the cups / competing in Europe, whilst having full control of the running of the playing side of the club would be a huge achievement.
Contrast that with going to another club, too early (not naive enough to think he won’t do, eventually) where he has to work as a head coach and does not have the final say in who they recruit (character of the players).
He’s still young enough to build something really special at Bramall Lane (given the right financial backing that continued success would bring) and still have time to get a massive wedge at one or other of the truly established clubs.

If winning the PL is the prize he seeks and that is unrealistic here (although Leicester appear to be giving that level of consistency a right good go) I would only see him going to somewhere like ManU - not a London club. Even then, I think ManU would be more inclined to go for a name like Poch, than Wilder - unless the legacy has been built and done, here, first.

It's not even five months since he signed his last one! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48931296

And if memory serves me correctly, didn't he tell Duffy to do one as he had received improved terms not too long ago?

Seriously though, I've no problem offering Chris an extension to his existing agreement, but should another club make a move for Wilder how would this prevent them from offering even better terms? Presumably, as we are in the process of adjusting to current Prem levels of wages, and what we need to do to attract better players (improved wages, bonuses etc) then if not now, presumably our wage bill will increase sooner rather than later. I wonder what plans the Prince has to improve this aspect of our strategy to remain in the Prem?

Risky times.
Didn’t he sign one in the summer?

This is how I see it too. What worries me a bit though is his mate Wit keeps making noises on Twitter, and although I know it's just Tweetery, it's still tingling the old Spidey senses.
If you believe half you read on Twitter you wouldn’t sleep at night!

Witless could do with shutting his mouth to be honest.

He's full of hot air and bluster. Wasn't long about he was making noises about Wilder leaving if the Prince won the court case.

They just need to keep matching his ambitions, it's not all about money into his bank account. He's earning more than he ever has in his life, no doubt a big bonus if we stop up, he's in a unique situation, his club, his city, family and friends all near.

Princey boy, your one and only job is keep him happy and it all works down through his staff, then to us

I think the point of the OP is to protect our biggest asset, I don't know the length of of his current contract but the longer the contract the bigger the compensation package not the size of his wages as there is no way we could compete with the big boys on that score

HRH is in a bit of limbo regarding long term decisions until we know if the appeal has been granted or not.

Are any clubs even looking at Smith or Potter? Imagine if Arsenal turned round and announced one of them as the new manager.

Whatever the Blades offer, a top team could not only match but I’m sure double.

Well be true, but I would imagine the main reason for giving Tufty an improved deal would be to place a sizeable release clause in their to financially protect us. So if the unthinkable happened and he was offered an opportunity so great he wouldn't be able to turn it down (the England job for example) at least we'd have a nice wad of cash to ease the pain.

I don't disagree but has he not signed a new contract this year?

As did Potter and Dean Smith. It’s a reward to fend off interest from outside parties. To bring them in line with their peers.

How does anyone know that his recent improved contract, doesn’t compare favourably with other Premiership managers? 🤔

A newly promoted should never immediately increase manager and all player salaries to PL levels.

Although we’ve had a good start let’s not forget we have achieved nothing so far. If we give the manager a big pay rise...the players will want a big pay rise.....then if we get relegated the 1st season then parachute payments are lower than normal. We’d instantly fall foul of FFP and the future of the club would be under threat.

We should stay patient and review the situation each Summer when we know what division we’ll be in so can plan ahead and budget accordingly.

Would be stupid and reckless to give Wilder a 5 year contract and very much against Wilders principles.

Wilder himself says to his players...,,work hard produce the goods and the financial rewards will follow.

Wilder lives in the area and if he leaves SU he’s said in the past he wants to leave with his head held high. He’s ambitious and wants to see how far he can take the club. If the owners restrict his ambitions with low transfer budgets and refusing to upgrade the training facilities. If he thinks the club is stagnating and he’s not being supported, then he will consider other options.

Realistically mate is this not the highest we can get too?

The only benefit in a longer contract is that we get more compensation if he's poached. Any of the PL clubs could pay him a lot more than we do, I have a romanticised view that he'd work for peanuts for his beloved Blades, probably bollocks though.

I reckon you could give Wilder a blank piece of paper and tell him to write his own contract. Whatever he wants. And I'd imagine it would be so reasonable the Prince could throw in an extra 10% without any worries.

Don’t care what we pay him. Smash the budget and pay him more than anyone else would over a longer period than anyone else would. Can’t imagine us without Wilder now.

Back
Top Bottom